Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2017, 12:06 PM   #1
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Lyons Den

Posted at the request of Lauren Lyons...

Due to staffing issues, The Lyons Den will be closed on Mondays until further notice.

Dan
Old 06-05-2017, 04:51 PM   #2
StardogChampion

Sawyer's posted about a similar problem. Sounds like Sandy Point can't find seasonal workers either.
StardogChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:26 PM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

It is very hard to get help. So why are 94 million people out of the workforce? Almost a third of the people in the US? Do they just not want to do these jobs?
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:16 PM   #4
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
It is very hard to get help. So why are 94 million people out of the workforce? Almost a third of the people in the US? Do they just not want to do these jobs?
Your question is quite valid. 94 million people able to work...and NOT working NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:38 PM   #5
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Some people do not want to do ANY jobs. Look at the statistics for people who find work just as their unemployment is running out. As Howie Carr says: The safety net has become a hammock.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2017, 06:56 PM   #6
Woody38

I don't know if that statistic is correct or not. Remember there are disabled persons who do not appear to be disabled to many of us because they do not use a wheelchair, limp or have other outward showing disabilities. Someone could have a cardiac condition, e.g., AFIB with swollen painful legs or diabetes mellitus with all the problems that disease can cause. There are many others also. I am extremely grateful I don't have any of these problems.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:11 PM   #7
thebix

Default From Donald Trump's address to Congress in a Feb. 28, 2017 speech.

The 94 million unemployed is basically 'fake news', as it includes mostly people that are not expected to be in the real workforce, such as students, retirees, and stay at home parents taking care of children.

As checked by Politfact
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ress-congress/
"Losing labor
Trump said that 94 million Americans are out of the labor force. That number is gleaned from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, but it's misleading.

The 94 million figure includes any American age 16 and over who isn’t institutionalized and who isn’t either working or actively looking for work. In other words, the figure includes a lot of people who wouldn’t be expected to be working, or who are engaged in other worthy pursuits.

For instance, the figure includes retirees, high school students over 16, undergraduate and graduate students, stay-at-home parents, disabled people, adults who are engaged in full-time education or training, and even trust-fund kids and those wealthy enough to be living off investments. Put it all together and this is not a trivial group of people.

We have previously estimated that only about a quarter of the approximately 90 million people officially listed as being out of the labor force are either out of work, looking for a job, or eager to get back in the job hunt if labor-market conditions were to improve. The other three-quarters have a good reason for being out of the labor force, which means that Trump’s figure is misleadingly high."
thebix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:20 AM   #8
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebix View Post
The 94 million unemployed is basically 'fake news', as it includes mostly people that are not expected to be in the real workforce, such as students, retirees, and stay at home parents taking care of children.

As checked by Politfact
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ress-congress/
"Losing labor
Trump said that 94 million Americans are out of the labor force. That number is gleaned from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, but it's misleading.

The 94 million figure includes any American age 16 and over who isn’t institutionalized and who isn’t either working or actively looking for work. In other words, the figure includes a lot of people who wouldn’t be expected to be working, or who are engaged in other worthy pursuits.

For instance, the figure includes retirees, high school students over 16, undergraduate and graduate students, stay-at-home parents, disabled people, adults who are engaged in full-time education or training, and even trust-fund kids and those wealthy enough to be living off investments. Put it all together and this is not a trivial group of people.

We have previously estimated that only about a quarter of the approximately 90 million people officially listed as being out of the labor force are either out of work, looking for a job, or eager to get back in the job hunt if labor-market conditions were to improve. The other three-quarters have a good reason for being out of the labor force, which means that Trump’s figure is misleadingly high."
Agreed that 94 million is not right. Here's a better estimate, IMO.
The population is 325 million and Labor Participation Rate is around 63%, 205 million working. The LPR previous to 2008 was around 66% which would have had 215 million working. About 10 million less people are engaged in the workforce than would have been.

The Participation Rate cuts across all segments of the population and incorporates all conditions, like able to work but not for a good reason. Those conditions, while varied, are not usually subject to rapid changes. For example, the number of college students not working for good reason is unlikely to surge enormously over the time period.

The loss in labor participation is likely due to poor/tight economic conditions.

As an aside, also consider that 10,000,000 * $40,000 average salary = $400,000,000,000,000 ($400 billion) in forsaken income. Since salary is only a part of actual economic earnings (the company makes more on your labor than they pay you) and earnings spin off other economic activity (if you work you can afford to buy more thereby paying other people) the economic value lost could easily exceed $1 trillion.

NH population is (1.33 million/325 million US) x 10,000,000 = about 41,000 potential NH workers NOT working.

Now what the NH restaurant proportion and specifically the Lyon's Den allotment of the 41,000 people might be is anyone's guess.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:12 AM   #9
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
Agreed that 94 million is not right. Here's a better estimate, IMO.
The population is 325 million and Labor Participation Rate is around 63%, 205 million working. The LPR previous to 2008 was around 66% which would have had 215 million working. About 10 million less people are engaged in the workforce than would have been.

The Participation Rate cuts across all segments of the population and incorporates all conditions, like able to work but not for a good reason. Those conditions, while varied, are not usually subject to rapid changes. For example, the number of college students not working for good reason is unlikely to surge enormously over the time period.

The loss in labor participation is likely due to poor/tight economic conditions.

As an aside, also consider that 10,000,000 * $40,000 average salary = $400,000,000,000,000 ($400 billion) in forsaken income. Since salary is only a part of actual economic earnings (the company makes more on your labor than they pay you) and earnings spin off other economic activity (if you work you can afford to buy more thereby paying other people) the economic value lost could easily exceed $1 trillion.

NH population is (1.33 million/325 million US) x 10,000,000 = about 41,000 potential NH workers NOT working.

Now what the NH restaurant proportion and specifically the Lyon's Den allotment of the 41,000 people might be is anyone's guess.
Does your decrease in LPR include the large population of baby boomers that have moved to retirement? I gotta think the size of that generation leaving the workforce would easily affect percentages over a decade?

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:56 AM   #10
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Does your decrease in LPR include the large population of baby boomers that have moved to retirement? I gotta think the size of that generation leaving the workforce would easily affect percentages over a decade?

At the serious risk of hijacking this thread, it's not that simple.

A baby boom is an increase in birth RATE. From Wikipedia, 1945 - 1961, 65 million born, about 4 million per year.

While the birth RATE is lower now, the population base is higher. In 2015 (latest full data I found) about 4 million were born. For a rough reckoning, the replacement numbers entering the labor force are about equal to retirees, even for the boomer crowd.

Of course it is far more complex. WHEN do baby boomers retire, age 53 (I did), 60? 75? WHEN exactly do current workers enter the workforce, age 18 (high school)?, 22 (4 yr college)?, 26 (masters)?, 30+ (PhD)?, 40 (when mommy kicks them out of the basement)?

However, average yearly discrepancies are more likely to be in terms of maybe 100,000 or so in pure body count, not millions. Further, as population grows, unless there is a dearth in the birth rate, the number of new births will continue to increase and balance out retirees. It's actually a bit of a Ponzi scheme as long as reasonable amounts of kids are born. I saw one projection for the end of the baby boom retirees around 2030 to have a 4.2 million births in a population of 359 million. The numbers only increase from there.

Replacements are on the way, get your orders in now.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:35 PM   #11
Eric Weiss

Restaurants have been suffering labor shortages for quite some time and it has been increasingly worse over the last 3 years. Perhaps 1 solution would be for the government to stop paying out such a high rate of benefits. Why take a 25K job working a 40hr week when the government is paying 30k to sit on one's backside?
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:10 PM   #12
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default It's everywhere!

http://www.wmur.com/article/hampton-...talled/9964649

Even local resorts such as Naswa, Steele Hill, Wolfeboro Inn etc. have relied on the visa program to fulfill staffing needs.

I was told Trump is reviewing the high tech visa program as high tech firms are feeling the pinch!
Old 06-08-2017, 09:30 PM   #13
Billy Bob

I find that when I have problems hiring and getting people to apply increasing the salary cures the issue .
The places paying the most money wii get the best people and be open for the season .
All these other excuses are interesting but won't get the shop open
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:53 AM   #14
Mr. V

Question: do the high schools in the lakes region offer vocational prep courses which would prepare graduates to enter the hopitality industry, which is the life's blood of the lakes region?

I'm thinking of courses such as learning to be a chef / chef's helper or waiter, for example.

We have them out here and they are very popular and productive.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:38 AM   #15
GBGX2

Default Hospitality Training Opportunites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
Question: do the high schools in the lakes region offer vocational prep courses which would prepare graduates to enter the hopitality industry, which is the life's blood of the lakes region?

I'm thinking of courses such as learning to be a chef / chef's helper or waiter, for example.

They do..... here is a list:

https://www.education.nh.gov/career/...ospitality.htm
GBGX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:35 AM   #16
baygo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
I find that when I have problems hiring and getting people to apply increasing the salary cures the issue .
The places paying the most money wii get the best people and be open for the season .
I issued 2 W2 forms of $62k last year. During the time that those two employees were hired, I had a number of other applicants who for one reason or another didn't last a week. Two of the most memorable reasons : A female applicant in her late 20s came to me after two days and said that she could not work any longer because if she continued to earn this kind of money she would lose her supplemented daycare. The other was a very hard-working 19-year-old male who came to me after his first paycheck and told me that his parents asked him to quit because his significant added income jeopardized their section 8 housing.

Last edited by baygo; 06-09-2017 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Typo
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:43 AM   #17
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
I issued 2 W2 forms of $62k last year. During the time that those two employees were hired, I had a number of other applicants who for one reason or another didn't last a week. Two of the most memorable reasons : A female applicant in her late 20s came to me after two days and said that she could not work any longer because if she continued to earn this kind of money she would lose her supplemented daycare. The other was a very hard-working 19-year-old male who came to me after his first paycheck and told me that his parents asked him to quit because his significant added income jeopardized their section 8 housing.
I completely believe you. However, this is one of the reasons why our taxes are so high. People do not want to earn money and risk their government hand-out. The government is very good at giving away our money to people that have another path.

I have no problem with people that really need the money.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:44 AM   #18
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
My business is a "drug free workplace". We are required to do pre-employment drug screening. 8 out of 10 applicants fail this test. Most applicants are under the age of 30 years.... another interesting excuse?....

Dan
Old 06-09-2017, 12:01 PM   #19
baygo

Quote:

My early knowledge in this field is the result of such a program and I once thought it was a viable recruiting ground. Now I'm finding that many who come through that channel are racing away from the industry once they get on the job and become enlightened to some job associated realities. They have to work when their friends are playing and none of the fun things to do are scheduled on their day off. They are also finding it difficult to be resilient to the comments made by "that customer" on the internet. I recently had a young lady who was doing a great job, then "that customer" with out a reservation, trashed her on social median for not being able to seat them. She came to me crying and said this was the wrong business for her.

I'm fully staffed (knock on wood) but know many others who are considering modifying their schedules or closing portions of their dining room to deal with this problem.

This problem will have an bigger impact on new ventures as the experienced job seaker tends to feel more comfortable with an established restaurant.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:07 PM   #20
Mr. V

Hire Hispanics.

They work hard, very hard.

Much of the restaurants out here have Hispanic chefs; the local teriyaki place we go to does, and that is typical.

Now, I realize that the lakes region isn't exactly overrun with folks from south of the border, but with some thought, effort and investment that could change.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:57 PM   #21
gillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
I completely believe you. However, this is one of the reasons why our taxes are so high. People do not want to earn money and risk their government hand-out. The government is very good at giving away our money to people that have another path.

I have no problem with people that really need the money.

R2B
The system needs to make it illogical to give up a job because it would end up costing you more. I was on unemployment for a couple of weeks before taking a job in retail. I made more on unemployment, and regreted not waiting a little longer before pulling the trigger on a job.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:00 AM   #22
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
The system needs to make it illogical to give up a job because it would end up costing you more. I was on unemployment for a couple of weeks before taking a job in retail. I made more on unemployment, and regreted not waiting a little longer before pulling the trigger on a job.
I agree. I think some sort of limited transitional support should be considered. Many jobs offer a raise after 6 months of good work. Government assistance could make up the difference between a full time job and what they were getting from the government for up to a year (?) or whenever their earnings match their previous government support.

On the other hand, previous policy experience is that when support is terminated, most people manage to find work and in the end are better off. Assistance should be temporary, not a way of life and excuse not to work. Sadly compassionate support of those without a job can prevent them from getting the job experiences and work skills they need (showing up on time, proper grooming, good attitude, etc).
Old 06-10-2017, 12:57 PM   #23
Greene's Basin Girl

Our son graduated from Moultonborough Academy in 2006. He worked locally during the summer while he was in college. After college he has worked out of state. Many of his classmates after graduating college have also left the state or they are working in Southern NH. After growing up in a rural area they seem to want to live in a more urban area. After they retire maybe they will return to the Lakes Region.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:16 PM   #24
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

I see some confusion here. Summer jobs for students are different in my mind from career jobs that are year seasonal or round and when these folks are laid off some benefits might apply. But a student going back to school in the fall should be a different category. Our current system encourages foreign students to come to work in the summer because they can work until mid September. U.S. students quit in mid-August so they can go play sports. OK, I get it, but most of them will not get big scholarships and will not play professionally. They could get a great recommendation from a summer employer for a later job. Or they can get a letter that says "left unexpectedly".
I'd be happy for mid-August sports if other classes also had "extra time" in August for Physics, History, etc.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:10 PM   #25
bumble71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl View Post
Our son graduated from Moultonborough Academy in 2006. He worked locally during the summer while he was in college. After college he has worked out of state. Many of his classmates after graduating college have also left the state or they are working in Southern NH. After growing up in a rural area they seem to want to live in a more urban area. After they retire maybe they will return to the Lakes Region.

Aggree!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
bumble71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:13 PM   #26
bumble71

It is unfortunately as simple as what Green's Basin Girl stated... The youth of the lakes region and most other rural towns, want to get out and experience the "world". So to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
bumble71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:50 AM   #27
Phantom

WOW --
Did this thread get derailed !!

Old 06-13-2017, 08:08 PM   #28
gillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
WOW --
Did this thread get derailed !!

Really. Any reviews of the food this season?
Old 06-13-2017, 09:11 PM   #29
Descant

Tops. As always.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:35 PM   #30
KPW

Always a good experience.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:51 PM   #31
Water Camper

Introduced a friend to the Lyons Den by boat yesterday for lunch. Very good experience. Ate in the bar and Pam was very pleasant and entertaining. We both thought the food and drink was exceptional, and fairly priced. I think he'll be back, I know I will.

Hope this helps,
Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:18 PM   #32
ishoot308

Default Two Thumbs Up!

We go there quite often and always have great food and great service!

Dan
Old 06-14-2017, 08:01 PM   #33
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Camper View Post
Introduced a friend to the Lyons Den by boat yesterday for lunch. Very good experience. Ate in the bar and Pam was very pleasant and entertaining. We both thought the food and drink was exceptional, and fairly priced. I think he'll be back, I know I will.

Hope this helps,
Bill
We often have lunch there at the bar and then ride over to Welch. Always good choices, my favorite is the lunch baked stuffed haddock. A super good deal at $8.99.
http://www.lyonsdenrestaurant.com/lunchmenu.htm
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:33 PM   #34
Woody38

We were out this afternoon and decided to eat out. Wanting a place that we had not been to last week we thought Lyons Den. No reservation mind you.
We had a nice table and were told we had an hour and 45 minutes. Obviously plenty of time for dinner. We have been there for lunch previously and yes the baked stuffed haddock is super. Last night I had the roasted duck which turned out to be an excellent choice as well as the baked stuffed shrimp my wife had. I had a good banter with our server as she has a great sense of humor. All the staff are courteous and knowledgeable. Lyons Den is now on our go to list. It is nice to visit a restaurant which takes pride in their service and in serving super food at a reasonable price. The duck is the best I have had in years.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:59 PM   #35
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody38 View Post
We were out this afternoon and decided to eat out. Wanting a place that we had not been to last week we thought Lyons Den. No reservation mind you.
We had a nice table and were told we had an hour and 45 minutes.
Since when does a restaurant dictate the amount if time you have at a table? (RE: the Canoe thread too)?
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:14 PM   #36
Reilly

Default Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
Since when does a restaurant dictate the amount if time you have at a table? (RE: the Canoe thread too)?
Obviously they had a reservation in that amount of time, would u want someone else at your table when you arrived for dinner with a reservation ????
Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:52 PM   #37
tis

We were talking to some friends today and they were dining at Lyon's Den and were also told they had to leave because they had another reservation for the table. This was after a wait for drinks and then a wait for dessert.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:12 PM   #38
BrownstoneNorth

Default Lyon's Den

Originally Posted by Woody38

"We were out this afternoon and decided to eat out. Wanting a place that we had not been to last week we thought Lyons Den. No reservation mind you.
We had a nice table and were told we had an hour and 45 minutes."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
If you're a walk-in and the only tables available have parties with reservations arriving later it's perfectly reasonable for the restaurant to warn you that you'll only have however much time; it would be unfair either to you or the party with the reservation to do otherwise. We go to Lyon's Den only with reservations and appreciate that our table has always been ready.

Once when we called to make a reservation Lauren (owner) suggested that we come a half hour earlier because a large party would be arriving at the same same time we had requested, which would slow down our service -- we were glad she told us, took her advice, and got in our orders in advance of the large party.
BrownstoneNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:40 PM   #39
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody38 View Post
. The duck is the best I have had in years.
I wonder how their duck compares to that once served proudly at the now defunct Hickory Stick?
Old 08-13-2017, 08:01 PM   #40
Woody38

We were not told we had a certain amount of time in which we had to eat. It was that there was a reservation for the table and we would not have to eat quickly. Extremely nice as they could easily have said there was nothing available. We knew going in there could be a problem but were treated as a treasured guest. Always enjoy the Lyons Den.
The chef is fantastic as the duck was the best I've ever had. Kudos. Baked stuffed shrimp terrific.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:44 PM   #41
JanN

First time I ever heard restaurants telling customers they had to finish in a certain time. Not sure I would frequent restaurants with this policy. A disturbing policy if this is a new trend.
JanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:15 PM   #42
Barney Bear

Default Lovin' Lyons 🍽

Made reservations today for dinner later this week. No restrictions. Very pleasant lady took the reservation request. Even said that we will have a table with a nice view of the lake. 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:32 PM   #43
baygo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanN View Post
First time I ever heard restaurants telling customers they had to finish in a certain time. Not sure I would frequent restaurants with this policy. A disturbing policy if this is a new trend.
How about this scenario; A restaurant gets a call on Wednesday for a table at 7 o'clock Saturday night. The restaurant pencils in the reservation. A customer without a reservation shows up as a walk-in at 6:15 on Saturday night. The only empty table in the house is the one being held for the people who reserved it at 7 PM. What would you suggest a restaurant and do?
Old 08-14-2017, 06:20 AM   #44
tis

Baygo, that is a little different. If I couldn't be there on time, I would expect to be pushed a little. But if I had reservations and was on time, I would not want to be rushed through my meal. It seems to me that the amount of time most people spend in a restaurant depends on how quickly they are served. If they are done eating and just sitting there for a long time while people are waiting, that is a different story.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:27 AM   #45
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Wow....that is a tough call. Either way, someone is going to be unhappy.
To make matters worse....if you turn down the walk-in customer, the reservation will probably show up half an hour late.
Not easy being a restaurant owner.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:42 AM   #46
thinkxingu

Quote:
Baygo, that is a little different. If I couldn't be there on time, I would expect to be pushed a little. But if I had reservations and was on time, I would not want to be rushed through my meal. It seems to me that the amount of time most people spend in a restaurant depends on how quickly they are served. If they are done eating and just sitting there for a long time while people are waiting, that is a different story.
tis, nobody with reservations has been told they have to move quickly--here nor (as best I saw) on the Canoe thread. The only people being asked to eat in a time span are those without reservations coming in to a restaurant where the only open tables are those that have upcoming reservations.

I don't get the big fuss here--as we all know, most (if not all) restaurants in the Lakes Region need to make as much money as possible during the season in order to make it through the winter. I, as mentioned in the Canoe thread, am glad restaurants decide to give patrons the option to eat in that time frame rather than turn them away completely.

PS As above, the Canoe, and Bob Shed threads show, even though it should be a win-win, it's really a lose-lose.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:16 AM   #47
hd333

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
How about this scenario; A restaurant gets a call on Wednesday for a table at 7 o'clock Saturday night. The restaurant pencils in the reservation. A customer without a reservation shows up as a walk-in at 6:15 on Saturday night. The only empty table in the house is the one being held for the people who reserved it at 7 PM. What would you suggest a restaurant and do?

Very easy.

Host/Hostess is honest with the customer.

Tell them the open table has a party coming in at 7:00 and if they would like the table they need to be out by 7 and that you will do everything in your power to expedite their food coming out. Let the customer decide if they simply want to eat or if they wanted to be there for a while.

Don't say you can have the table but you have to eat fast, give them some background.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hd333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:37 AM   #48
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd333 View Post
Very easy.

Host/Hostess is honest with the customer.

Tell them the open table has a party coming in at 7:00 and if they would like the table they need to be out by 7 and that you will do everything in your power to expedite their food coming out. Let the customer decide if they simply want to eat or if they wanted to be there for a while.

Don't say you can have the table but you have to eat fast, give them some background.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree it's easy if the host is honest and smiles. But I think 45 mins is too tight, so I'd tell the 6pm arrivals that I'm sorry but that table is reserved, and I'd give them a business card with a phone number so that next time they can call.

This situation is very different than the complaints above
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:05 AM   #49
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

I'm sure we all have restaurant horror stories. My wife and I always loved Frattello's but we walked in there one night and was told there was and 1 1/2 hour wait. No problem, we put our name in and went for a nice walk down by the lake as it was a nice night. 1 1/2 hours later they sat us, the waiter came over and told us that the kitchen was extremely backed up and we probably wouldn't see our meal for over an hour. If we had been told that in the first place we never would have waited. Now it's 830 pm and we are not going to see our meal until 930 pm at the earliest? Not acceptable behavior!
We left and went to Patrick's and have never been back. That was 2 years ago. They may not need my business but I also don't need their food.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:11 AM   #50
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
I agree it's easy if the host is honest and smiles. But I think 45 mins is too tight, so I'd tell the 6pm arrivals that I'm sorry but that table is reserved, and I'd give them a business card with a phone number so that next time they can call.

This situation is very different than the complaints above
But if others did not think 45 minutes was too tight ( if the kitchen worked with them ) then why not let the customer decide? I am sure the owner and wait staff would appreciate the business if the customer was ok with it.
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:43 AM   #51
tis

tis, nobody with reservations has been told they have to move quickly--here nor (as best I saw) on the Canoe thread. The only people being asked to eat in a time span are those without reservations coming in to a restaurant where the only open tables are those that have upcoming reservations.

I don't get the big fuss here--as we all know, most (if not all) restaurants in the Lakes Region need to make as much money as possible during the season in or

Think,

My friends DID have reservations at Lyon's Den and were told they had to move quickly because somebody else was coming in after them, also with reservations.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:56 AM   #52
thinkxingu

Quote:
Think,

My friends DID have reservations at Lyon's Den and were told they had to move quickly because somebody else was coming in after them, also with reservations.
Ah, I didn't see that (I reread all the comments in this thread, but maybe I missed it)--I agree that wouldn't be right.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:42 PM   #53
Slickcraft

Quote:
I wonder how their duck compares to that once served proudly at the now defunct Hickory Stick?
I used to enjoy Hickory Stick duck once a summer. Now I enjoy duck once a summer at the Lyon's Den. A long time gap in between but I find duck at the Den equally good.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:39 AM   #54
TiltonBB

Default Some do well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Wow....that is a tough call. Either way, someone is going to be unhappy.
To make matters worse....if you turn down the walk-in customer, the reservation will probably show up half an hour late.
Not easy being a restaurant owner.
In any business serving the public you will never keep 100% of your customers happy. But social media has made it easy to "out" any place that a customer has a problem with. Even if the customer is wrong, it is difficult for the owner or manager to engage in a public fight with a disgruntled patron.

According to CNBC: 60% of new restaurants fail within their first year. 80% fail within the first five years.

Yes, it is a difficult business, but some local places still manage to do it very well. You know who you are!

Last edited by TiltonBB; 08-16-2017 at 06:43 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:24 AM   #55
Phantom

I am happy to see that Lauren has stayed out of this debate (and I know that she watches this forum) unlike other Establishment owners who only dug themselves deeper by making comments. A great tactic in "Letting your reputation speak for you"

As TiltonBB says, " you will never keep 100% of your customers happy" but for the other 99% of us ...... Lauren & Roland had their early years rough patch (primarily just getting the word out that they existed) but have now firmly established one of the Lakes Regions finer and consistent dining establishments for which, at least I, will continue to support strongly & introduce new people to this great dining experience.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:12 AM   #56
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
I am happy to see that Lauren has stayed out of this debate (and I know that she watches this forum) unlike other Establishment owners who only dug themselves deeper by making comments. A great tactic in "Letting your reputation speak for you"

As TiltonBB says, " you will never keep 100% of your customers happy" but for the other 99% of us ...... Lauren & Roland had their early years rough patch (primarily just getting the word out that they existed) but have now firmly established one of the Lakes Regions finer and consistent dining establishments for which, at least I, will continue to support strongly & introduce new people to this great dining experience.

Well said!

Dan
Old 08-16-2017, 08:20 AM   #57
GBGX2

Default Agreed.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Well said!

Dan
We really enjoy both the bar staff and the food here...always very consistent and a very warm environment anytime of the year !
Old 08-16-2017, 10:47 AM   #58
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts

We have never had a bad meal there. We love the Lyons Den! Great food, views and service. They have the best onion soup I have ever had!
Old 08-16-2017, 11:13 AM   #59
Resident 2B

My wife and I have dined numerous times at Lyon's Den over the years. We have always enjoyed the complete dining experience. We like other restaurants in the area, but Lyon's Den is our favorite, by far.

Thank you Lyons' family and everyone that has worked there for making this such a special place.

R2B
Old 08-16-2017, 04:31 PM   #60
Barney Bear

Default The Lyons Roar. 🦁

We had our usual wonderful dining experience yesterday while celebrating my brother's wedding anniversary at the Lyons Den. Both my brother and his wife chose the duck recommended by Slickcraft in post #53 above. They heartily concurred! A fantastic time was had by all. 🐻
Old 08-16-2017, 07:03 PM   #61
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Bear View Post
We had our usual wonderful dining experience yesterday while celebrating my brother's wedding anniversary at the Lyons Den. Both my brother and his wife chose the duck recommended by Slickcraft in post #53 above. They heartily concurred! A fantastic time was had by all. 🐻
We have our reservation for Saturday dinner, 40th anniversary. Duck it will be.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:35 PM   #62
Woody38

My wife and I had a fantastic late lunch, early bird or early dinner today. Fabulous as usual with fresh tasty food done right and very pleasant staff.
Lauren is a nice person. Homemade sour cream and coleslaw.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:51 PM   #63
Sully

My wife and I dined at the Lyon's Den last night with two of our close friends. Although we are all Lakes Region long timers, none of us had ever tried the Lyon's Den. It was forum reviews that influenced us to try it out. I am representing both couples as I share our thoughts with regard to reception, ambiance, service, food quality, and general appreciation for our patronage.
It sucked. Just a bit better than the New Woodshed.
Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 05:14 PM   #64
ACME on the Broads

Default A Bad Night Perhaps?

My wife and I also dined at the Lyon's Den recently and while the food was good, the service friendly(main courses took forever to come out of the kitchen on a not so busy night) portion size was only fair to light and it's highly unlikely we will return.

Other than a good view, not sure how they compare all around the LR but we have tried the Woodshed 3 xs this year and like Sully, would agree, both are only average at best. BTW, after paying the bill, no one ever came and thanked us for our business or inquired if we enjoyed our meals, common theme?

To each their own but, certainly there are far better restaurant choices around the lake.
ACME on the Broads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:43 AM   #65
rsmlp

Default woodshed

Went Saturday night and was disappointing. First time in four visits this summer that it was underwhelming. Service was literally rude and food sub par.
I'll call it a one off for now...
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:28 AM   #66
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACME on the Broads View Post
My wife and I also dined at the Lyon's Den recently and while the food was good, the service friendly(main courses took forever to come out of the kitchen on a not so busy night) portion size was only fair to light and it's highly unlikely we will return.

Other than a good view, not sure how they compare all around the LR but we have tried the Woodshed 3 xs this year and like Sully, would agree, both are only average at best. BTW, after paying the bill, no one ever came and thanked us for our business or inquired if we enjoyed our meals, common theme?

To each their own but, certainly there are far better restaurant choices around the lake.
I agree, the atmosphere and service are excellent but I find the food average and the portions small. However I will give it one more chance because many have said the duck is excellent and I love duck so I will give it a try.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:24 PM   #67
Sully

Where is ACME on the Broads?
Old 09-11-2017, 07:59 PM   #68
ACME on the Broads

On Winnipesaukee, go North, you'll find it!
Old 09-12-2017, 10:19 AM   #69
Hillcountry

Quote:
On Winnipesaukee, go North, you'll find it!
I think ACME ON THE BROADS is where Wile E. Coyote buys all his contraptions to try to catch the Road Runner...
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:35 AM   #70
Sully

Talking

Thank you Hillcountry. I am no longer lost or confused.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:39 AM   #71
ACME on the Broads

Hillcountry, I have no contraptions and supplying equipment to those seeking to catching the Road Runner is way in my past; Sully, you on the other hand may still be lost and confused......Back to the post, The Lyon's Den was not a good experience all around.

My best to you guys and the stuffed animals Lions at the Lyon's Den!
Old 09-14-2017, 04:51 PM   #72
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Hillcountry, I have no contraptions and supplying equipment to those seeking to catching the Road Runner is way in my past; Sully, you on the other hand may still be lost and confused......Back to the post, The Lyon's Den was not a good experience all around.

My best to you guys and the stuffed animals Lions at the Lyon's Den!
At the Gilford Walmart you can purchase a gallon of milk, everything you need to change your oil, new bedding for your guest room and a pair of slippers for everyday use. Perhaps you could find a sense of humor there too?

Back to the post ..... MEEP MEEP
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:30 PM   #73
thegreyghost

Default lyons den

food sucks. it reminds me of the time i got burger king, went and shared it with my 89 year old grandmother in her living room. oh wait, that was actually better.
thegreyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:20 PM   #74
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreyghost View Post
food sucks. it reminds me of the time i got burger king, went and shared it with my 89 year old grandmother in her living room. oh wait, that was actually better.
Good reason to keep your status as a junior member.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:34 PM   #75
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Good reason to keep your status as a junior member.
Where's the Thanks button when I need it!

Dan
Old 09-14-2017, 09:00 PM   #76
Hillcountry

Quote:
Sounds like cruel and unusual abuse of an elderly person.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:11 PM   #77
TiltonBB

We had lunch on a Sunday a few weeks ago at the Lion's Den. Both of us thought it was great and the price was fair.

It was so good that last Sunday I made a reservation for 6 people and we went again. Everyone had nothing but compliments for the Lion's den. Good food at a fair price.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:30 AM   #78
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
If you like Burger king we know where your taste buds are.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:07 AM   #79
GBGX2

Default Got to jump in here...........

We dine out at lunch time a great deal......

Revolution, La Corona & Grill 110(Rochester), Dockside, Shibley's, J.P China, Ackerly's (Alton), Nolan's & Garwood's (Wolfeboro Side), Fratello's, Patrick's, Ellacoya and Lyon's Den (Laconia Side) to name a few of our favorites.

While Shibley's is probably our favorite go to place (we are prejudiced as we know the owners and many of the server's personally but still find the food excellent)..... we find Lyon's Den to be very good as well. We have always found the food to be well prepared, interesting specials and fairly priced. We generally sit at the bar and all the service (Bartenders) have been great.

We try and stay real in our expectations understanding the labor challenges and the nature of going to seasonal restaurants. We would recommend Lyon's Den to anyone !
Old 09-15-2017, 09:30 AM   #80
GodSmile

Default Lyon's Den

Now that we live in the area, we don't seem to eat out as often, but we've been to the Lyon's Den quite a few times over the years (both the bar and the dining room) and we've always had a good experience. Good food, good service, fair prices.
GodSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:01 PM   #81
Woody38

We had dinner at the Lyons Den last night. Great experience. I ordered the duck again. Must have been a huge duck as I ate more than my usual amount and took enough home to last the dogs and myself probably 3 days.
After we ordered our server stopped by to refill my coffee and told my wife they were making her salad. Actually the salad turned out to be a masterpiece: several different types of lettuce, black olives, julienne carrots and cucumber. Apparently home made blue cheese dressing.
Another night out to remember.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:33 PM   #82
phoenix

went with a group in August in lieu of our normal trip to Sandy and we all enjoyed our meals. Will go again next year
Old 09-20-2017, 02:20 PM   #83
nerual721

Smile Reservations or no reservations; miscellaneous food/pricing complaints

Phantom, I appreciate your kind words and we do try to let our reputation speak for itself. However, there are a couple of issues to weigh in on here.

First, reservations or no reservations..... what a slippery slope that is. We recently received an email from someone who had a dinner reservation and though it was their first time the couple they were with have been here on numerous occasions.

I will not copy the customer's email here, but only my response.
Thank you for your email and thank you for coming to the Lyons' Den. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your food and your server. We have been operating for 11 1/2 years now and as I'm sure you noticed we are quite small. We seat only about 44 patrons at a time. Part of our success and reasonable pricing is attributable to our ability to utilize a table more than once in an evening. We have been taking reservations for 10 years and most tables of 2 to 4 people average 1 hour and 25 minutes from beginning to end. I checked your ticket and found that you were here a bit over 2 hours. I am sorry that you felt rushed. Should you decided to give us another try then I would ask that when you make the reservation you request a 2 1/2 to 3 hour table. We will do our best to accommodate you but may not be able to take a 2 1/2 hour reservation on a busy night. We do have other regular customers who make this request as they are aware of our size limitations.

I did also want you to know that when your server made me aware of the timing issue with your table I did make every effort to relocate the party of 6 that was waiting for your table but was not able to reconfigure any group of tables successfully to avoid rushing you. Again, my apologies.
I am not sure if there is a better way to have handled that situation but we seriously make every effort not to "rush" people with reservations. Accordingly, due to our size when people make reservations and we have another reservation before or after theirs we try to let them know that going in, so there is an expectation of any time limit or possible wait that there might be.

As for miscellaneous food complaints, especially portion size and pricing. I keep myself very well informed about pricing in the surrounding area restaurants and we are definitely on the low end of the scale price wise for the quality and portion sizes of our food. And, given the opportunity to "fix" a problem with price/portion we are very receptive to making adjustments. That being said I cannot fix a problem that I do not know exists. If someone leaves The Den unhappy and they have not brought it to the attention of their server or me directly then I am at a loss as to how to fix it. To hear about a complaint by reading it in The Forum or on one of the other social media review venues for the first time is irksome. We do our very best to make sure everyone has the best dining experience possible and on that point I will happily stand on our reputation and end my diatribe.

Lauren
nerual721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:25 PM   #84
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Well said, Lauren.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 09-20-2017, 04:36 PM   #85
Reilly

Default Thanks

Very well said lauren ,your reputation is impeccable as is your staff ,l hope that l am eating & having cocktails at the Den for my years to come
Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:44 PM   #86
Descant

Lauren,
You guys do a great job, and we thank you for it. Just to keep the +/- even however, I'd like to see that fabulous lobster pie on the specials list more often.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:53 PM   #87
ishoot308

Lauren,

Please don't change anything....except Roland's beef stew as a regular lunch menu item!

Dan
Old 09-20-2017, 06:17 PM   #88
Woody38

Lauren,

You and your establishment do a terrific job in a demanding business. As stated in thread #81 we could not be happier. Continue doing what you have done for the past 11 1/2 years. My only regret is that we did not frequent your establishment sooner but happy to have now become a guest.

Best to you and your staff.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:27 PM   #89
Slickcraft

Lauren,

Thanks for the window table for our 40th. The duck was great as always. And please keep the lunch haddock on the menu.

Alan
Old 09-20-2017, 07:13 PM   #90
KDL

Keep up the great work. We love the Den.
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:43 AM   #91
GBGX2

Default Thank You!

Lauren,

We think the world of your restaurant and recommend it regularly.

Your staff is great!
Old 09-21-2017, 06:16 AM   #92
Barney Bear

Default 🍽 🍷 🍰

On Sunday, we took our East Bear Island guests to the Lyons Den to share a wonderful dining experience with friends from Welch Island. As always, everything was great! 🐻
Old 09-21-2017, 06:47 AM   #93
smith point boater

Default Lyons Den

Lauren,

You and Roland just keep doing what you're doing - Its great!!
smith point boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:32 PM   #94
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual721 View Post
Phantom, I appreciate your kind words and we do try to let our reputation speak for itself.
Sorry have been traveling internationally ..........

Kind words perhaps, but also just stating the obvious as can be seen & verified in the posts that followed !

My view -- you can't please 100% of the people, 100% of the time (don't exhaust yourself trying), those very few who do not like the Den for whatever reason simply make it easier for me to get a Reservation!

Old 09-28-2017, 11:19 AM   #95
Tmm1974

Default Portion control

Went to Lyons den recently for dinner. I found the food to be good quality but the portions were pathetic. The "jumbo" shrimp cocktail should be taken off the menu. Very disappointing and we won't be back.
Tmm1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:29 PM   #96
Barney Bear

Default Portion Control/2

Went to the the Lyons Den recently for dinner. We found the food to be delicious and the portions were sufficient. Very satisfying and we will be back. 🐻
Old 09-28-2017, 03:45 PM   #97
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Default Here we go again

Like every restaurant some people like it some don't. Seems Lyons Den and Canoe are the two people like to go back and forth on.

As I stated before I felt Lyons Den was ok my first few times and I agree the portions, especially seafood can be a little on the light side, but after hearing all the raves about the duck I am certainly willing to give it another try.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:06 PM   #98
Slickcraft

Portion size?

I suppose that because that I am from an older generation that quality rates much higher than a huge serving size. Often we are presented with way too much on our plate and a mound of food does not make up for it being average at best. Apparently a common criteria for rating served meals now is pounds per plate as evidenced by the sizing of clothing. Currently medium is the former XL. Oh well, each to their own.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:34 PM   #99
Descant

Yeah. I used to be a medium, now XL. Took several decades to make the transition. And I still have take home from Lyons Den.
Let';s face it, Lyons Den has some very dedicated patrons, some who are never pleased anywhere, and some who will, over time, move into the dedicated category.
Aside from quality, price, service, etc I appreciate the reservation process that gets me in and lets me know that my neighbors will be arriving later and we can all be seated sometime, instead of being turned away.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:40 PM   #100
Resident 2B

Lyon's Den is our favorite restaurant in the lakes region. Food, service overall dining experience are second to none. No other restaurant comes close.

R2B