Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2021, 07:49 AM   #1
secondcurve

Default Surveyor

Hi

Can anyone recommend a survey company that would be willing to survey a small lot in Tuftonboro? I can’t get anyone to return my call. I just want to get on a list.

Thanks
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
TiltonBB (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 08:13 AM   #2
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts

I have used Steven Smith and Associates quite a lot over the last 20 years. He is on Lily Pond Road in Gilford.

His work is good and his knowledge of local regulations is helpful. He is well known and appears regularly before local planning boards.

http://sjsincnh.com/
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 09:25 AM   #3
codeman671

I have used one out of Gilford in the past and was not impressed. It was a small, quoted job and the final bill came back double.

Working with another local one now and that isn't exactly going smooth either, for other reasons. I am going to refrain from shaming either publicly though.
codeman671 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 05:16 PM   #4
secondcurve

What should it cost to verify the boundaries of a two acre lot? Any ideas? Does $2,500 seem reasonable?
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
Misha888 (02-13-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 07:44 PM   #5
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Hi

Can anyone recommend a survey company that would be willing to survey a small lot in Tuftonboro? I can’t get anyone to return my call. I just want to get on a list.

Thanks
Jim Hambrook, Hambrook Land Surveyor, Sandwich, is excellent.
284-6320
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (02-07-2021)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2021, 06:01 AM   #6
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
What should it cost to verify the boundaries of a two acre lot? Any ideas? Does $2,500 seem reasonable?
We paid around 5 to verify that we owned around 12 acres that a neighbor decided was his because the town had it wrong on the tax map. And also paid around 3 to check boundaries on a one acre lot. So I would say yes, you are probably ok. And we waited about 3 years before he got it completed. This was several years ago also.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (02-06-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 06:26 AM   #7
Asloren1

We’ve been using New Hampshire Land Consultants who have been great for our large property in Wolfeboro:

Scott R. Frankiewicz, Owner
New Hampshire Land Consultants, PLLC
Gray Properties, LLC
683C First NH Turnpike (Rte. 4)
Northwood, NH 03261
603-942-9220 (Office)
603-833-5913 (Cell)
www.nhlandconsultants.com
Facebook: New Hampshire Land Consultants
Asloren1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Asloren1 For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (02-06-2021)
Old 02-13-2021, 11:50 AM   #8
Misha888

Quote:
Yes, it is reasonable.
Old 02-13-2021, 11:54 AM   #9
Misha888

https://www.whitemountainsurvey.com/

Jim might be booked up already, but he's worth a try.
secondcurve (02-16-2021)
Old 02-05-2022, 06:46 PM   #10
secondcurve

Default Sticker Shock

Hi:

Today I got a $5,400 quote to survey my roughly 1.75 acre lot. I was shocked. The lot is sloped and wooded so there will be a bit of work involved but this quote seems insane. Then again, I called many of the folks that were recommended by above and basically none of them called me back. I ran into the surveyor who gave me my quote last October when he was surveying a lot in my development. He delivered the proposal when he promised but I feel like I’m being screwed. What are folks seeing out there?

Thanks
Old 02-05-2022, 11:03 PM   #11
John Mercier

I'm seeing a lot of late cycle pricing on most materials and labor. I would presume surveying to be under that category at this time.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (02-06-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 08:15 AM   #12
Lake Fan

Like everything else, labor costs are up, equipment costs are up, fuel prices are up, insurance costs are up. Your price might have been lower a couple years ago, but so was the price for your lot. Also, some parcels, regardless of size, can be more difficult to survey. Surveyors are also flat out these days with long backlogs and anxious clients.

Just out of curiosity, what was included in the cost? Boundary survey, topographic survey, wetlands, site plan, etc? Each additional service adds to the cost.

Just my .02 after some 40 years in the profession.

Quote:
Hi:

Today I got a $5,400 quote to survey my roughly 1.75 acre lot. I was shocked. The lot is sloped and wooded so there will be a bit of work involved but this quote seems insane. Then again, I called many of the folks that were recommended by above and basically none of them called me back. I ran into the surveyor who gave me my quote last October when he was surveying a lot in my development. He delivered the proposal when he promised but I feel like I’m being screwed. What are folks seeing out there?

Thanks
Lake Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:46 AM   #13
secondcurve

That is a good question that I have yet to ask but I’m almost certain that it doesn’t include what I need since one of the primary components I need is elevation changes so the architect/builder can help me with driveway approach and structure placement/design. The description in the proposal says:

XXXXX will provide the time and materials necessary to prepare a Standard Property Survey. This includes research, location of physical features, preparation of a survey plan and installation of missing property corners for the above referenced property. The survey plan will show the property lines, property corner markings, existing improvements, such as buildings, driveway & roads, fences, above ground utilities, etc, on or near the subject property and be in a format that is recordable at the Carroll County Registry of Deeds. Property lines will be marked with wooden grade stakes and flagging. A mid-point survey pin about 200 feet on each sideline will be installed. Upon completion of the survey, we will provide copies of the plan. XXXXX can also provide you with the necessary materials for recording at the Registry of Deeds if needed. Or, if you prefer, we can record the plan for an additional fee of $200 (not included in this estimate). This plan can be used to add a proposed house for aiding in obtaining a building permit.

Estimated Fee:
The estimated fee for the above-described services is approximately $5,400.00 based on time and materials.

As someone who has worked in this industry can you give me your opinion on a couple of points?

1) Based upon the above cost structure what do you estimate this surveyor will charge to do elevation changes? I’m afraid to learn this number since he is charging $5,400 to basically stake a lot that has 4-pins in place, is bordered on one end by a rock wall and the other end by the street. The surveyor has done work in the development and I have never heard of any boundary line issues in the development and I’ve been there a long, long time.

2) How many hours/days do you think a typical job like this takes? I can’t imagine it’s more than three unless something unexpected arises and obviously his proposal is open ended to account for unanticipated problems.

The good news is he will do this in the next 12-16 weeks which makes sense since it is a highly lucrative job. I’m not sure how much I’d save by going back to the market but I’d certainly loose 6-12 months of time. The surveyor is from southern NH so I’m sure this isn’t an ideal job for him thus the high pricing.

Any thoughts you can provide would be appreciated.
Old 02-06-2022, 10:46 AM   #14
Lake Fan

Hard to say how long that job would take without knowing the scope of the project and the lot conditions. A couple of days in the field would most likely be enough for the boundary and topographic (elevation changes) surveys, but there is also research, drafting, etc. that needs to be done, plus maybe another day to set pins and the property line stakes they are proposing after the initial field work is complete. The fact that he's in southern NH adds travel time and expenses to his fee.

I would clarify the deliverables with the surveyor to make sure you're getting all you need.

I have heard of surveyors in the Lakes Region telling potential clients that they were not taking on any new work, and were talking about backlogs of a year. I've been through several development booms in my career but have never seen a market like this. Maybe I should get a NH license and put the boots back on...

Best of luck with the project.

Quote:
That is a good question that I have yet to ask but I’m almost certain that it doesn’t include what I need since one of the primary components I need is elevation changes so the architect/builder can help me with driveway approach and structure placement/design. The description in the proposal says:

XXXXX will provide the time and materials necessary to prepare a Standard Property Survey. This includes research, location of physical features, preparation of a survey plan and installation of missing property corners for the above referenced property. The survey plan will show the property lines, property corner markings, existing improvements, such as buildings, driveway & roads, fences, above ground utilities, etc, on or near the subject property and be in a format that is recordable at the Carroll County Registry of Deeds. Property lines will be marked with wooden grade stakes and flagging. A mid-point survey pin about 200 feet on each sideline will be installed. Upon completion of the survey, we will provide copies of the plan. XXXXX can also provide you with the necessary materials for recording at the Registry of Deeds if needed. Or, if you prefer, we can record the plan for an additional fee of $200 (not included in this estimate). This plan can be used to add a proposed house for aiding in obtaining a building permit.

Estimated Fee:
The estimated fee for the above-described services is approximately $5,400.00 based on time and materials.

As someone who has worked in this industry can you give me your opinion on a couple of points?

1) Based upon the above cost structure what do you estimate this surveyor will charge to do elevation changes? I’m afraid to learn this number since he is charging $5,400 to basically stake a lot that has 4-pins in place, is bordered on one end by a rock wall and the other end by the street. The surveyor has done work in the development and I have never heard of any boundary line issues in the development and I’ve been there a long, long time.

2) How many hours/days do you think a typical job like this takes? I can’t imagine it’s more than three unless something unexpected arises and obviously his proposal is open ended to account for unanticipated problems.

The good news is he will do this in the next 12-16 weeks which makes sense since it is a highly lucrative job. I’m not sure how much I’d save by going back to the market but I’d certainly loose 6-12 months of time. The surveyor is from southern NH so I’m sure this isn’t an ideal job for him thus the high pricing.

Any thoughts you can provide would be appreciated.
Lake Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lake Fan For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (02-06-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 10:46 AM   #15
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
I have used one out of Gilford in the past and was not impressed. It was a small, quoted job and the final bill came back double.
Used one out of Gilford also. Was a disaster. Took 4 times promised time. Bill rose continually. If anyone puts a written contract in front of you. Read it.
Verbal promises mean nothing.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (02-06-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 10:51 AM   #16
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Jim Hambrook, Hambrook Land Surveyor, Sandwich, is excellent.
284-6320
This one was quite professional. Used his services long time ago. Very good.
In fact, his father was the original surveyor of property and he had all records of property.

Was just seeking pins. I mistakenly buried some. After this, I learned to obtain my own metal detector.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (02-06-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 11:10 AM   #17
mswlogo

On newfound lake I had a full survey done.
Boundaries, Elevations, distances from water (50ft and 125ft), 450 ft shore marked, well marked, major trees, some wetlands marked, all structures marked, abutting structures.
It was originally 3 properties joined into 1 acre, lots of history.
Took a year $3900.00
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mswlogo For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (02-06-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 12:34 PM   #18
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
I'm seeing a lot of late cycle pricing on most materials and labor. I would presume surveying to be under that category at this time.
How do you know it is late cycle? There is a lot of momentum and endless liquidity in the market. Throw on top of this the demographics of the baby boom and I'm not sure this is late cycle. Will it eventually end in tears as the fed sucks money out of the economy? Probably. But it might have a ways to go before there is a noticeable slowdown.
Old 02-06-2022, 12:38 PM   #19
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Fan View Post
Hard to say how long that job would take without knowing the scope of the project and the lot conditions. A couple of days in the field would most likely be enough for the boundary and topographic (elevation changes) surveys, but there is also research, drafting, etc. that needs to be done, plus maybe another day to set pins and the property line stakes they are proposing after the initial field work is complete. The fact that he's in southern NH adds travel time and expenses to his fee.

I would clarify the deliverables with the surveyor to make sure you're getting all you need.

I have heard of surveyors in the Lakes Region telling potential clients that they were not taking on any new work, and were talking about backlogs of a year. I've been through several development booms in my career but have never seen a market like this. Maybe I should get a NH license and put the boots back on...

Best of luck with the project.
I have never seen anything like this either. Probably the late sixties/early seventies is the closest comparison for the lakes region. There was an amazing amount of building back then, too. I agree with your comment about the surveyors in the Lakes Region not taking on any new work. There is clearly an imbalance in the market.

What do folks for the need for an elevation survey on a sloped lot? It seems like this is the most important part of the whole thing. Am I wrong?

Thanks,

Last edited by secondcurve; 02-06-2022 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-06-2022, 12:41 PM   #20
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
This one was quite professional. Used his services long time ago. Very good.
In fact, his father was the original surveyor of property and he had all records of property.

Was just seeking pins. I mistakenly buried some. After this, I learned to obtain my own metal detector.
I reached out to this guy last year and he did seem professional. However, he no longer returns calls. Obviously, the good ones are overwhelmed.
Old 02-06-2022, 01:43 PM   #21
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Fan View Post
Like everything else, labor costs are up, equipment costs are up, fuel prices are up, insurance costs are up. Your price might have been lower a couple years ago, but so was the price for your lot. Also, some parcels, regardless of size, can be more difficult to survey. Surveyors are also flat out these days with long backlogs and anxious clients.

Just out of curiosity, what was included in the cost? Boundary survey, topographic survey, wetlands, site plan, etc? Each additional service adds to the cost.

Just my .02 after some 40 years in the profession.
I asked the surveyor if his proposal included elevation changes and he replied “using NH state Lidar data”. Is this what I need to go to builders and architects? Is there another way to map out elevation changes? I’m a bit out of
my league. This surveyor does seem like he is a straight shooter and honest so maybe it is worth it to pay up and move forward? I can hardly wait until I get to the builders.
Old 02-06-2022, 02:53 PM   #22
DPatnaude

Lidar is good enough for planning purposes and is freely available from most states GIS data. Possibly, after getting a plan developed with Lidar data, you could do a more detailed ground survey where needed.

NH Lidar data:https://granit.unh.edu/resourcelibra...ltopics/lidar/

You can view the data in this interactive online mapping tool: https://granitview.unh.edu/html5view...er=granit_view

Dave
DPatnaude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DPatnaude For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (02-06-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 03:12 PM   #23
mswlogo

Quote:
I asked the surveyor if his proposal included elevation changes and he replied “using NH state Lidar data”. Is this what I need to go to builders and architects? Is there another way to map out elevation changes? I’m a bit out of
my league. This surveyor does seem like he is a straight shooter and honest so maybe it is worth it to pay up and move forward? I can hardly wait until I get to the builders.
Is this near the water (within 250 ft)?

Note you may have "wetlands" and not even know it.
Old 02-06-2022, 03:13 PM   #24
tummyman

Lots to consider. First, most surveyors are two people, so he will have wages to pay. Also the equipment is very costly, so that is part of the bill. From my understanding, the surveyors control the market by limiting the people who they take under their wings for apprentice work. I heard you cannot become a surveyor until you spend time working with one. As they limit the number of new folks, delays in building booms will hamper timelines. Plus some older ones retire.

I would try and see what the added cost would be for some simple elevation readings. After all, everything they do on site is loaded into computer programs, so the old style "drafting" work at a table is reduced a lot. He is already on site, so maybe he could do it for a total price of $6000. If you ahve his time blocked out, I would just bite the bullet and do it, unless you want to start elsewhere and get pushed out a year or more. Remember, this is a sellers market for almost everything. If you want it and NEED it, it will cost a premium as the demand far outweighs the supply due to their market control. They know it and have no issue with charging big bucks and can always move on to the next phone call.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tummyman For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (02-06-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 03:45 PM   #25
tummyman

Anyone building now should realize, when you out your hand into your pocket for your wallet, there are many hands already there before you....surveyors, builders, assessors, material suppliers, etc. etc. They know if you are building now you got the bucks and they want a nice share !!! Hold your nose, shut your eyes, and move on.
Old 02-06-2022, 03:46 PM   #26
John Mercier

Quote:
How do you know it is late cycle? There is a lot of momentum and endless liquidity in the market. Throw on top of this the demographics of the baby boom and I'm not sure this is late cycle. Will it eventually end in tears as the fed sucks money out of the economy? Probably. But it might have a ways to go before there is a noticeable slowdown.
Early Cycle there is more materials and labor than the demand... Mid Cycle, they are roughly balanced... Late Cycle, the demand is more than the material and labor available.

Prices drop in the Early Cycle... stay steady in the Mid Cycle... and climb abruptly in the Late Cycle.

The slowdown will be due to lack of materials and labor. That will happen irregardless of the FED actions.
Old 02-06-2022, 04:05 PM   #27
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
Is this near the water (within 250 ft)?

Note you may have "wetlands" and not even know it.
Yes. It is across the street from my lake house. I don’t think there are wetlands on the property but the street cut is within 250 feet. My plan is to use a contractor who does septic system designs and shore line protection work. My goal is to get the land survey and then approach a builder/architect. I’m still uncertain if I will use and architect or use a prepackaged design. After deciding on the structure I plan to pursue shoreline protection permits and septic design.

Thank you,

Mark
Old 02-06-2022, 04:30 PM   #28
John Mercier

Wetland designation is due to a soil type - not standing surface water.
Old 02-06-2022, 05:20 PM   #29
tummyman

Maybe try Ames Assoc. in Meredith. Does fabulous septic stuff and also does surveying work as it is needed for septic anyway. He may be a great answer to at least check with and see pricing / availability.
The Following User Says Thank You to tummyman For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (02-06-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 06:18 PM   #30
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
Wetland designation is due to a soil type - not standing surface water.
Right, I found that out the hard way and it did impact some things, luckily not too much. And it's the Septic that had to be away from the wetland, not the house.
And the town had stricter rules on that, than the state did.

That's why you really need a full survey. Our lot was so much more complex than I realized.

You might try contacting these guys. They did our DES Shoreland proposal. I had my own surveyor, but if I didn't they would have found me one.

http://www.northpointeng.com

If you are not building within 250 ft I don't think you need Shoreland approval.
The Following User Says Thank You to mswlogo For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (02-07-2022)