Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2021, 11:52 AM   #1
tonyk72

Default Boston Whaler Rage jetboat electrical issues

I just picked up a 1993 Whaler with a Yamaha 650 2-stroke motor. I'm looking for someone who would know how to tackle electrical issues on one of these. The ebox is rewired, but I think I have an issue with the ignition/kill switch. Nothing happens when I turn the key to start. I have some basic wiring, troubleshooting skills, but I'm ready to have a pro look at this. Most marina's won't touch it, but it's basically a Yamaha Waverunner surrounded by a Boston Whaler. Anybody out there who could work on this?
tonyk72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 01:39 PM   #2
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyk72 View Post
I just picked up a 1993 Whaler with a Yamaha 650 2-stroke motor. I'm looking for someone who would know how to tackle electrical issues on one of these. The ebox is rewired, but I think I have an issue with the ignition/kill switch. Nothing happens when I turn the key to start. I have some basic wiring, troubleshooting skills, but I'm ready to have a pro look at this. Most marina's won't touch it, but it's basically a Yamaha Waverunner surrounded by a Boston Whaler. Anybody out there who could work on this?
Love to see pictures of it.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 02:20 PM   #3
Woody38

Call NW Marine Services LLC
Meredith

603-520-1662

They will surely help you.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 02:24 PM   #4
8gv

Did it ever run for you?

I have no experience with that type of vessel but it is the internet so here goes...

If you never saw it run it may be disabled due to incorrect work from your predecessor.

There are two different ways of wiring a kill switch and they depend on the wiring to the ignition.

The first and easiest way is a switch that grounds the ignition primary.

On this one the switch stays open via the lanyard and springs closed in its absence thus grounding out the ignition.

If your boat has this you need only pull and isolate the wires off the back of the switch and hopefully she runs.

The other way is the switch carries current when the lanyard is in place and opens the circuit when the lanyard clip is absent.

When you say that "nothing" happens when you turn the key I assume that you mean that the starter dies not turn.

That sounds like it is the second style of kill switch on your boat.

The reason why I explain all this is that a kill switch my have terminals appropriate to both of the types mentioned and if connected wrong, could do nothing.

Find a wiring diagram and see if your switch is a correct one and if it is connected properly.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-14-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 06:48 AM   #5
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody38 View Post
Call NW Marine Services LLC
Meredith

603-520-1662

They will surely help you.
Nick is talented and thorough
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2021, 10:40 AM   #6
tonyk72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Did it ever run for you?

No, this was a recent CL purchase and the previous owner disclosed it had weak spark and suspected electrical issues. He was able to hot wire it and show it had 150 PSI compression, but electrical components were all in disarray. I tested the CDI, regulator and ignition coil. The regulator was bad and I replaced that.

When you say that "nothing" happens when you turn the key I assume that you mean that the starter dies not turn.

Yes. No clicks, no nothing.

The reason why I explain all this is that a kill switch my have terminals appropriate to both of the types mentioned and if connected wrong, could do nothing.

Find a wiring diagram and see if your switch is a correct one and if it is connected properly.

Unfortunately, the owners manual and wiring diagram for this boat only show the older style panel connections. I called Boston Whaler and they did not have anything for the newer style panel.
I put in a call to NW Marine Services LLC. It sounds like just the right place to look at this.

Here are some pics. It should be a fun bay boat.
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2021, 01:31 PM   #7
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyk72 View Post
I put in a call to NW Marine Services LLC. It sounds like just the right place to look at this.

Here are some pics. It should be a fun bay boat.
Hmmm, never a good sign when the mounting bolts are gone for the electrical housing and there is a wire poking out the bottom. Pull that switch plate out and look for obvious problems like broken wires or corrosion. Post a pic of it, the back of it.

Edit: Looks like a bit of a rats nest on top of the motor too. Take a close up of that too.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 10:22 AM   #8
codeman671

I have owned a few of these over the years, however mine were the OMC and Merc powered models. I think the Yamaha was a bit less HP but definitely more reliable than the OMC.

ALL of them are prone to overheating. Keep that in mind when running it.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 01:32 PM   #9
tonyk72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Did it ever run for you?

The other way is the switch carries current when the lanyard is in place and opens the circuit when the lanyard clip is absent.

I assume this type of switch is referred to as "normally open"? If so, you were right on the money.
I did have Nick come out and he confirmed I had the wrong kill switch installed. My battery was also junk. He checked out all the other wiring, correctly wired my switch panel and put the wiring all back to stock. He also set me up for easily adding a fishfinder when I'm ready. Nick did a great job and saved me hours of troubleshooting on my own. I'd highly recommend him!

I finally had a chance to take it for a test run yesterday. This thing is nimble! It corners better than my SeaDoo and can easily do 180's and 360's. On the downside, steering is a bit sloppy and it's not the best boat in the chop either. But I think I can make some minor improvements to help that over the winter.
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2021, 05:59 PM   #10
8gv

Nice looking boat AND dock!

I'll need an address for my bill...
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 10:45 AM   #11
codeman671

I have never seen one with handlebars and a grip throttle?
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote