Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Marketplace
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2020, 12:56 PM   #1
Hillcountry

Default Verizon signal Enhancer/extender

We bought a Verizon cellular “extender”when we moved here and paid $250 for it. If anyone wants to try it at their house/camp, you can have it. Not sure these days what works and what doesn’t but if anyone with a weak signal would like to try it, PM me to make arrangements.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:03 PM   #2
MotorHead

Does it not work for you?
MotorHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:56 PM   #3
Hillcountry

My wife has been screwing around with the TV, internet, what not and she put our phones on Wi-fi calling with she disconnected the Verizon box.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
DotRat (06-21-2021)
Old 10-09-2020, 01:58 PM   #4
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorHead View Post
Does it not work for you?
It worked great for a long time but the wife decided to shut it down.
She’s always friggin around with these things...
Old 10-09-2020, 03:53 PM   #5
Winilyme

LOL...so funny.

We have an extender too. Cost me about 40 bucks three years ago. Seems to work just okay. I'm told mesh networks are the way to go so I'm going to be researching those to death this winter. I think they are relatively costly though.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2020, 04:03 PM   #6
Winilyme

Default Domestic Pet Peeves

Let me start by saying I love my wife with all my heart. But, we all have pet peeves and your wife's tendency to mess with your electronics reminded me of mine.

I've tried and tried to get my wife to understand that if the thermostat is set at 65 and she wants it to be 70, then she simply needs to set the thermostat to 70. Yet, despite all my efforts, she still jacks it up to 75 or whatnot thinking it's going to get to 70 quicker. It not only gets to 70 (in the same amount of time it would have had she followed my advice) but it's soon 75 and my wife is then turning the thermostat back to 65 to get it to 70 quicker. Round and round this goes, where it will end nobody knows.

Am I the only one with this problem? I also have a sore head from from banging it against a wall?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Winilyme For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (10-10-2020), Hillcountry (10-09-2020), ishoot308 (10-09-2020), upthesaukee (10-09-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 04:26 PM   #7
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winilyme View Post
Let me start by saying I love my wife with all my heart. But, we all have pet peeves and your wife's tendency to mess with your electronics reminded me of mine.

I've tried and tried to get my wife to understand that if the thermostat is set at 65 and she wants it to be 70, then she simply needs to set the thermostat to 70. Yet, despite all my efforts, she still jacks it up to 75 or whatnot thinking it's going to get to 70 quicker. It not only gets to 70 (in the same amount of time it would have had she followed my advice) but it's soon 75 and my wife is then turning the thermostat back to 65 to get it to 70 quicker. Round and round this goes, where it will end nobody knows.

Am I the only one with this problem? I also have a sore head from from banging it against a wall?
That is so funny!!!
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:18 PM   #8
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:

In engineering slang terms. an on/off system like a furnace is known as a "bang-bang control system"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bang%E2%80%93bang_control
So yeah, your head mashing seems appropriate
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:32 AM   #9
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Wifi Extenders and wifes.

It kind of funny how Verizon distribute wifi extenders. I got mine free when it was determine there is no coverage in my HOA. I set it up so that neighbors can use it. I was told we have underground utilities since they normally put extenders on the poles.

My wife is the opposite. Won't engage or embrace technology. Always nagging me about why this won't work or that. I am constantly running around making sure things work!

I do have my phones setup so that it will work on cellular as well as wifi. At first the phone gets confused and drop calls, it works good now.
Hillcountry (10-10-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 10:37 AM   #10
Rich

Quote:

Yes, this is common and it comes from their early experience with the older temperature controls in their first cars. You remember the type where you adjusted the cold/hot mixing valve that set the amount of heat coming into the car. Turn it all the way up and the car would heat faster as there is no cool air mixed with the heat from the internal radiator.

I have the same problem in our newer cars that have proper thermostats instead of the older mixing valve temperature control. I tell her just to set the thermostat to a desired comfortable temperature and the system will automatically do whatever is needed to hold the desired temp. But she continues old habits and cranks the thermostat all the way up until she is overheated, and then tries to turn it down again. I can't get her to just leave it set to one comfortable temperature.

And her mom also likes to turn the heat power ON and OFF, even though I tell her that just setting the desired temperature on the thermostat does the same thing: The heater won't run if the air temperature is above the desired temperature. Somehow she thinks she's saving money by turning off the heater completely.

Good luck. As much as I try to explain how it works, thinking it will help with their understanding and perhaps curb these habits, their eyes just glaze over and they continue to use decades of old habits. I bet you will never win this one.

Back to the signal enhancers. I have an older one (1X) also, and a new (4G) version. Most new phones can be set to use WiFi calling, so these are not needed as much as they used to be. I paid for the 1x version, but got Verizon to loan me the 4G for free. I had to tell them that I have some older phones that don't have WiFi calling as an option.

I no longer use the older 1X version, but the newer 4G version is quite nice, but they removed the ability to restrict its use to only my personal phones. It can now be used by anyone that is close enough to get the signal. I'm not worried about this as you would have to be in my home or on my property to use it. Their signal doesn't carry too far.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:
Winilyme (10-10-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 12:04 PM   #11
MotorHead

Does it work with FIOS service or just Verizon Mobile?
If it does, do you still have it and how much do you want?

Thank you
MotorHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:25 PM   #12
Winilyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Yes, this is common and it comes from their early experience with the older temperature controls in their first cars. You remember the type where you adjusted the cold/hot mixing valve that set the amount of heat coming into the car. Turn it all the way up and the car would heat faster as there is no cool air mixed with the heat from the internal radiator.

I have the same problem in our newer cars that have proper thermostats instead of the older mixing valve temperature control. I tell her just to set the thermostat to a desired comfortable temperature and the system will automatically do whatever is needed to hold the desired temp. But she continues old habits and cranks the thermostat all the way up until she is overheated, and then tries to turn it down again. I can't get her to just leave it set to one comfortable temperature.

And her mom also likes to turn the heat power ON and OFF, even though I tell her that just setting the desired temperature on the thermostat does the same thing: The heater won't run if the air temperature is above the desired temperature. Somehow she thinks she's saving money by turning off the heater completely.

Good luck. As much as I try to explain how it works, thinking it will help with their understanding and perhaps curb these habits, their eyes just glaze over and they continue to use decades of old habits. I bet you will never win this one.

Back to the signal enhancers. I have an older one (1X) also, and a new (4G) version. Most new phones can be set to use WiFi calling, so these are not needed as much as they used to be. I paid for the 1x version, but got Verizon to loan me the 4G for free. I had to tell them that I have some older phones that don't have WiFi calling as an option.

I no longer use the older 1X version, but the newer 4G version is quite nice, but they removed the ability to restrict its use to only my personal phones. It can now be used by anyone that is close enough to get the signal. I'm not worried about this as you would have to be in my home or on my property to use it. Their signal doesn't carry too far.
Your wife and mine would get along just fine.
Old 10-11-2020, 04:59 AM   #13
ApS

Arrow 'Like to Recover My Investment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
We bought a Verizon cellular “extender”when we moved here and paid $250 for it. If anyone wants to try it at their house/camp, you can have it. Not sure these days what works and what doesn’t but if anyone with a weak signal would like to try it, PM me to make arrangements.
Got a picture?

I bought one, too, but completely lost my Verizon signal in Florida, and switched to AT&T.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 03:42 PM   #14
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Got a picture?

I bought one, too, but completely lost my Verizon signal in Florida, and switched to AT&T.
I'll have to ask the wife where she hid it...
Old 10-12-2020, 05:21 AM   #15
snowflake

Default verizon signal enhancer

Please tell me the difference between a Verizon store and a Verizon Cellular sales store. I found out the hard way there is a difference. Am not happy with my phone.
snowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 05:44 AM   #16
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake View Post
Please tell me the difference between a Verizon store and a Verizon Cellular sales store. I found out the hard way there is a difference. Am not happy with my phone.
I discovered the same a few years ago—the Center Harbor location is not a "Verizon Store" but a "licensed Verizon sales store." At one time, they were tagged as "authorized resellers," but I'm not sure how to tell the difference these days. It appears AT&T, whom we ditched Verizon for, does the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:34 AM   #17
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Company owned vs authorized retailer

Quote:
Google "Verizon Stores NH" and the locations that state "Verizon" are Verizon-owned stores.

Dave
Old 10-12-2020, 07:43 AM   #18
Hillcountry

Quote:
The Verizon stores are hit/miss these days. We got new phones last week...finally retired our iPhone 6+ and upgraded to 11 Pro. Nice (pricey) phones.
“Because of the covid” the sales guy said, “we cannot handle the phones and have to give you everything unopened, in the boxes.” We had to activate the new phones ourselves with the automated “old to new” conversion ourselves. Well, my wife and I had the exact same new phones so I picked a box and started activating my phone. After a while my wife’s number appeared and I realize this was somehow supposed to be HERS so I stopped and grabbed the other box and started over again. Well my phone finally came to life. My wife’s’ however was in activation limbo and she could not get it to activate. Only after several hours of “chat” with numerous Verizon “chat techs” was she able to finally get her new phone up and running. Not fun.
What I find funny is that the sales guy had no problem “handling” all the unopened boxes (phones, cases, glass protectors, etc) yet “couldn’t” open them and perform the activation service.
Just another “excuse” not to do his job I suppose...
Old 10-12-2020, 09:52 AM   #19
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
There are similar BUT different Verizon Stores.

The one to STAY AWAY from is the Verizon "Premium" Store, although I am not sure they still use "Premium" in their name. I can tell you that the "Premium" Verizon store routinely charges a higher price. Been there, done that.

Check with the Verizon website to determine which stores they actually own, and which stores are "Premium" Retailers (i.e. franchised stores).
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 11:22 AM   #20
tis

I agree, I won't got to a sales store, the company Verizon store is all I will use.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
ApS (10-12-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 11:28 AM   #21
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I agree, I won't got to a sales store, the company Verizon store is all I will use.
You will have fewer choices in the future. I am a landlord for 3 Verizon corporate stores 2 in North Carolina and one In Illinois. They are closing 50% of the lesser preforming corporate locations and the other 50% are moving to much smaller locations.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 11:32 AM   #22
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
You will have fewer choices in the future. I am a landlord for 3 Verizon corporate stores 2 in North Carolina and one In Illinois. They are closing 50% of the lesser preforming corporate locations and the other 50% are moving to much smaller locations.

Oh no!! Why is Verizon doing that? They sure don't seem to be lacking business.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:37 AM   #23
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Oh no!! Why is Verizon doing that? They sure don't seem to be lacking business.
They feel they do not need as large a brick and mortar presence with corporate stores. If they feel in the future they need to fill the gap they said they can always add resellers instead of investing in their own locations

joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 11:55 AM   #24
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
They feel they do not need as large a brick and mortar presence with corporate stores. If they feel in the future they need to fill the gap they said they can always add resellers instead of investing in their own locations

Like lots of retailers now right? Eventually there will be no personal contact in this world except in family.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:52 PM   #25
Hillcountry

The Verizon extender has been given to a forum member.
Old 12-04-2020, 04:50 AM   #26
ApS

Default Using Verizon "Chat"?

I've never used "chat", and it turns out to be a good thing I hadn't!

Quote:
"It’s not the first time Verizon has spilled customer information. In 2016, a database of more than 1.5 million Verizon Enterprise Solutions customers was put up for sale on an online crime forum. Verizon said at the time that a 'security flaw in its site [had] permitted hackers to steal customer contact information,'”
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote