Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2015, 12:25 PM   #1
depasseg

Default Sinkhole on I-93 in Concord

Keep an eye on this before heading up I-93. Northbound is shutdown.

http://www.wmur.com/news/northbound-...khole/34801796

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...c_location=ufi
Attached Images

depasseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:56 PM   #2
noreast

WOW, You don't see that around here to often.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:57 PM   #3
depasseg

Here's some video of it:
https://www.facebook.com/7NEWS/video...c_location=ufi
depasseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:26 PM   #4
Phantom

I'll be damned .... I go up and down that road every weekend and can't figure out from the pictures exactly where it is.

Please tell me after 393 so that I stand a chance of cutting over to 106 this Friday

Old 08-19-2015, 03:43 PM   #5
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
I'll be damned .... I go up and down that road every weekend and can't figure out from the pictures exactly where it is.

Please tell me after 393 so that I stand a chance of cutting over to 106 this Friday

Nope...before. Just take route 28 / 3 to 106 if 93 is still closed or messed up.
Phantom (08-19-2015)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2015, 04:36 PM   #6
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

About midway between exits 13 & 14 northbound.

I live here... I am always Upthesaukee.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:55 PM   #7
nhcatrider

Supposed to be fixed tonight. If it's anything like the one on 89 a few years ago, this could take weeks to fix properly, plus this looks like both sides will need to be dug up.
nhcatrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:19 PM   #8
Winni Luvr

Default Please keep us posted!

Coming up this weekend. We'll change our route if it's not repaired. Thanks.
Winni Luvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:20 PM   #9
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Took us 2 hours to get from Manchester to Gilford tonight. Usually a 1 hour ride. 28/3 was bumper to bumper from Manchester all the way to 28/106 split!!

Hopefully this is fixed soon!

Dan
Descant (08-19-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 11:22 PM   #10
Greene's Basin Girl

I-93 Northbound opened up again around 11pm.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:57 AM   #11
Winnisquamer

Just drove over it this morning. Besides for a 20' strip of fresh pavement everything looked normal.
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winnisquamer For This Useful Post:
Redwing (08-20-2015), Winni Luvr (08-20-2015)
Old 08-20-2015, 06:07 AM   #12
dickiej

Looks like a normal size pothole in Boston!
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dickiej For This Useful Post:
Redwing (08-20-2015), Smith Point (08-20-2015), VitaBene (08-20-2015), winnasake (08-20-2015)
Old 08-20-2015, 06:34 AM   #13
Phantom

Awesome All --

Thanks for the updates .... I am sure that there is a LOT of us heading that way Friday (me for one)

Redwing (08-20-2015)
Old 08-20-2015, 12:50 PM   #14
SIKSUKR

I wouldnt have wanted to be the guy on his mc that went over the dip at 60 mph right before it was discovered.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:52 PM   #15
magicrobotmonkey

http://www.nh1.com/news/photos-car-c...-11-in-flames/
magicrobotmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:30 PM   #16
chipj29

The traffic in the greater Concord area while I-93 north was closed yesterday was insane. I really hope this helps start a discussion at NH DOT on how to handle this type of event in the future. They need a real traffic plan, because whatever they were doing yesterday did not work.

Anyway, the sinkhole was caused by an old storm drain that rain from Storrs st (behind the Market Basket) that just gave out. Last night they filled in that storm drain with cement, then filled the sinkhole and paved it. I think it is a temporary solution (as far as the storm drain goes). However on the bright side, that storm drain emptied either directly into the Merrimack River or right next to it. Nasty stuff. Hopefully the can come up with a permanent solution that does not impact I-93 or the Merrimack.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:40 AM   #17
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
The traffic in the greater Concord area while I-93 north was closed yesterday was insane. I really hope this helps start a discussion at NH DOT on how to handle this type of event in the future. They need a real traffic plan, because whatever they were doing yesterday did not work.
Chip what are you talking about....

Anytime something major like this happens of course traffic is going to be a mess as they take people off the high and divert them around. Bottom line the streets, and stop lights where not set for the extra traffic that had to be unloaded on them... I know someone who went through the area while this was going on, and they said given the situation, it was all very well marked and seems to flow as best as could be expected.

This was a freak occurrence, and I think they DOT did an excellent job getting it corrected as quickly as they did..... Of course if people complain I am sure the DOT will be more then happy not to expend this much effort in the future, and instead come up with detailed plans of how to handle these situation, that will incorporate spending time finding the best most convenient detour route first, and then worrying about the problem....

To do what was done in the time frame it was done in, is nothing short of extraordinary... My hats are off to NH DOT!!!!!!
Airedale1 (08-21-2015), Crusty (08-26-2015), noreast (08-21-2015), Reilly (08-26-2015), SteveO123 (08-23-2015), thinkxingu (08-21-2015), VitaBene (08-26-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 09:04 AM   #18
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

^ Very much agree--to have the road opened again in under 24 hours was, especially based on my 25 years of driving, an exceptional feat.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:35 PM   #19
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Above-speed-limit ride from Andover to exit 23 just now!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:42 PM   #20
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts

The DOT worker who was on scene and took immediate action by putting out cones to divert traffic should be given a commendation. No doubt that his actions saved lives. This could have went very badly.
Reilly (08-23-2015)
Old 08-23-2015, 10:43 AM   #21
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Chip what are you talking about....

Anytime something major like this happens of course traffic is going to be a mess as they take people off the high and divert them around. Bottom line the streets, and stop lights where not set for the extra traffic that had to be unloaded on them... I know someone who went through the area while this was going on, and they said given the situation, it was all very well marked and seems to flow as best as could be expected.

This was a freak occurrence, and I think they DOT did an excellent job getting it corrected as quickly as they did..... Of course if people complain I am sure the DOT will be more then happy not to expend this much effort in the future, and instead come up with detailed plans of how to handle these situation, that will incorporate spending time finding the best most convenient detour route first, and then worrying about the problem....

To do what was done in the time frame it was done in, is nothing short of extraordinary... My hats are off to NH DOT!!!!!!
I think this situation was handled mostly OK. However, once cars were directed to exit the highway, they were mostly on their own. I agree that there really isn't much more that they could do though given the amounts of traffic in that area already.

My point is this:
When you travel 93 south of Manchester, they have green trailers set up in some of the median turn arounds. These trailers have cones and other traffic management devices that the NHSP and DOT are supposed to use when there are incidents on the highway to divert traffic. There are also traffic management plans in place where if the highway needs to be closed, there are signed routes to follow. I am not aware of any of that in Concord.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:14 PM   #22
SunsetPointWentworth

Our plan to get rid of upthesaukee, foiled again. We will get you next time. Don't you worry.
- Wiley Coyote-
SunsetPointWentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:17 AM   #23
Shreddy

Quote:
I think this situation was handled mostly OK. However, once cars were directed to exit the highway, they were mostly on their own. I agree that there really isn't much more that they could do though given the amounts of traffic in that area already.

My point is this:
When you travel 93 south of Manchester, they have green trailers set up in some of the median turn arounds. These trailers have cones and other traffic management devices that the NHSP and DOT are supposed to use when there are incidents on the highway to divert traffic. There are also traffic management plans in place where if the highway needs to be closed, there are signed routes to follow. I am not aware of any of that in Concord.
MOST people nowadays have smart phones, almost all of which are GPS enabled. Yes people might have been on their own, but as mentioned this was a freak occurrence. I am sure they can figure an alternative route when off the highway. I think people can tolerate the short-lived headache for something that happens much less than a blue moon. Why is there always something to complain about nowadays? I'd much rather NOT waste tax dollars developing a fluke plan that may never be used.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:39 PM   #24
LIforrelaxin

Quote:

My point is this:
Chip,

I don't know what time you went through the area, but I have heard that the Detour at 4 or 5 o'clock in the afternoon was very well marked... My sister and mother, both of whom get lost easily navigated through it with no problem...
Old 08-27-2015, 06:30 AM   #25
nhcatrider

The emergency routes through southern NH are a joke with the volume of traffic that is in the area. The problem is the mix of heavy commercial truck traffic and commuters in cars. Trucks can't clear an intersection very fast which slows the whole process down, and most of the surface streets are not designed for large trucks. I watched a driver in a sleeper with a 53 foot trailer make a left turn from Hazen Drive to East Side Drive during the detour and it was tight and slow. I think they did a good job with what they had to work with, but there should be specific truck and car routes.
nhcatrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:51 AM   #26
chipj29

Quote:
Chip,

I don't know what time you went through the area, but I have heard that the Detour at 4 or 5 o'clock in the afternoon was very well marked... My sister and mother, both of whom get lost easily navigated through it with no problem...
Fair enough, I stand corrected. I was in the area in the early afternoon (it was around 3pm). It wasn't the traffic coming off the highway (moving away from 93), it was the traffic heading towards 93. Manchester Street was at an absolute crawl, almost from Rt 106 all the way to the 93 junction. This was heading towards the problem area. It took a friend of mine 45 minutes to go from Banks Chevy on Manchester St to Everett Arena on Loudon Rd. That's like a 3 mile drive.

Don't forget that I stated that this event was mostly handled OK. And that I stated that DOT and local govt needs to have a discussion on handling this in the future. In the business world we call it event review/lessons learned, and corrective/preventative actions (what can we do better). I am NOT complaining about how this was handled.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:27 AM   #27
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Fair enough, I stand corrected. I was in the area in the early afternoon (it was around 3pm). It wasn't the traffic coming off the highway (moving away from 93), it was the traffic heading towards 93. Manchester Street was at an absolute crawl, almost from Rt 106 all the way to the 93 junction. This was heading towards the problem area. It took a friend of mine 45 minutes to go from Banks Chevy on Manchester St to Everett Arena on Loudon Rd. That's like a 3 mile drive.

Don't forget that I stated that this event was mostly handled OK. And that I stated that DOT and local govt needs to have a discussion on handling this in the future. In the business world we call it event review/lessons learned, and corrective/preventative actions (what can we do better). I am NOT complaining about how this was handled.

Given the disruption this could of caused hand it happened on a Weekend, I am sure there will be many discussions... The first of which is sure to be inspection of all unused and abandoned storm drains...
Old 08-28-2015, 08:12 AM   #28
chipj29

Quote:
Given the disruption this could of caused hand it happened on a Weekend, I am sure there will be many discussions... The first of which is sure to be inspection of all unused and abandoned storm drains...
Yup. Had that been a Friday afternoon, I would not want to be anywhere near there. Not even at my house, which is 5+ miles away.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:16 AM   #29
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Yup. Had that been a Friday afternoon, I would not want to be anywhere near there. Not even at my house, which is 5+ miles away.
That said, imagine that happening on NASCAR weekend. OUCH!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote