Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-11-2007, 05:04 PM   #1
gh2572

Default Abondante

I don't know if any threads have talked about this restaurant, but it's worthy of attention. My wife, myself and another couple had dinner there on Friday and it was fantastic. Great selection and appropriately priced!

--------------------

Menu
Web Site
gh2572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:31 PM   #2
beaner

mmmmmmmmmm, we LOOOOVE this place! Excellent Tuscan food, and an awesome wine list to boot. We've been there 3 or 4 times since we discovered it several months ago because there are so many delicious-sounding things on the menu that we want to try.
beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:28 AM   #3
Phantom

don't miss out on the "Veal Bundles" ............. it's a signature dish!!
Old 11-12-2007, 08:21 AM   #4
jrc

Where in Meredith is it?
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:16 AM   #5
gh2572

Abondante is located on the street that runs behind Mill Falls Marketplace. As you approach mill falls on 25 from the North, pass straight through the light and start looking on the left hand side as you go up the hill.
gh2572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2007, 01:00 PM   #6
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc
Where in Meredith is it?
Old 11-13-2007, 11:01 AM   #7
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

GWC........just HAD to post the website........wifey saw the menu and now I have to take her there.
SAMIAM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:44 PM   #8
jrc

Thanks, I walked by it a hundred times, never went in, what a dope
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:26 PM   #9
finch

This place won my tummy over at the chowder festival with the splendid addition of chewy bread and roasted corn. I am wondering... at the restaraunt, do they serve the chowders and soups with such additions? There is nothing better than good bread with a fine soup or chowder.
finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:59 PM   #10
jlrm73

They do sell soup and sandwiches at the Bakery, which is downstairs from the restaurant and also has amazing pastries and breads!
jlrm73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:16 PM   #11
The Big Kahuna

Default Snooty

I have eaten there twice, you are correct that the food is excellent. The problem is the way the hostes and the wait staff act? You go their and there is no one in the place they ask you if you have a reservation and if you say no they look at you like you have three heads, but the place is emplty, and, no there are no reservations in the book. If they would act friendlier than we would eat there all the time.
The Big Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 08:20 AM   #12
Liquorish

Default Snooty

I agree with you bk, we went there with 8 people two summers ago @ 5:30, not a soul eating and were turned away because of no reservation. They said they were booked @ 6:00, and kitchen couldn't handle the excess. By then we would have been half way through with dinner.
Have not been back since.
Liquorish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 02:47 PM   #13
finch

That is too bad to hear they are snooty. I guess we will try the bakery for soup and sandwiches. We could take some of those yummy pasteries to go. We are from the opposite side of the lake and have only been to Meredith once for the chowder fest. Is it always that difficult to find parking in that town? I assume that during the winter (after holiday shopping) it would be easier to find parking.
finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:38 PM   #14
Overlake97

Default Snooty? Not in my experience.

Abondante is a great place, head and shoulders above most restaurants in the area. (Still better than Lago down the street, even though they've [Lago] gotten better since their pretentious beginning.) While I can't say the snooty experience didn't happen, I have to say I've seen the exact opposite. We've gone in without reservations (party of 2 once, party of 4 another time) and were seated with no problem. Sometimes they have special dinners; perhaps this accounts for the difference in greetings and absence off reservations. The first time I went there I had the entree below - and I thought about it for weeks later, it was that good! Since then I've been there about 8 times, and have never left unsatisfied.

Ravioli al' Aragosta e Gamberi- Scallops & shrimp with lobster & mascarpone sauce over ravioli. $21.95
Overlake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:38 PM   #15
hazelnut

Default Many Thumbs UP!!!

My cousin rented the whole restaurant out for her rehearsal dinner, (wedding was at Church Landing) back in September. What an AWESOME experience. My wife and I have dined all over the place from the North End of Boston to the best New York City has to offer and beyond. I'd put this place pretty high up on the list. Granted it was a special occasion and a special menu but it was incredible. We had several courses served family style. All I can remember besides the hot passed hors d'oeuvres was the big giant plate of assorted grilled meats. I was in absolute awe. It was so good I have absolutely no recollection of the meal at the actual wedding.

I have yet to return since then but it is on my short list for this coming summer.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:26 PM   #16
meteotrade

Our experience was not exactly snooty, but last year we stopped by to try it... Arrived at 9:45 and they would not seat us. Why? Because the kitchen closed at 10. The hostess was not overly enthusiastic to win us over either. "Try again tomorrow" she said.

Contrast this with Kevin's place... We stopped by as he was cleaning up, everyone had left for the night. We tried to leave telling him that we didn't want to be an inconvenience, but he insisted that we stay... and we had an incredible meal.
meteotrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:19 PM   #17
KPW

Default Because the kitchen closed at 10.

Arrived at 9:45
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:40 PM   #18
michael c

Default Kpw

The Kitchen closes at 10:00 ...that means it is open for business until 10:00 p.m.
....what is the question ? yeah I am tired at the end of my night but if it says 10:00 then it is 10:00
either Shame on the owner or the person in charge that night
Old 05-25-2008, 10:53 PM   #19
Gatto Nero

Default Snooty doesn't even begin to describe

I used to love this place but I won't be back anytime soon. I agree that the food is good, and I really enjoy the atmosphere, but after what I experienced other night it's not good enough to get me to go back until I hear of a major attitude adjustment.

Four of us went for dinner on Friday night. We got there around 8:00 or so. The all the tables were full so we ordered some drinks and waited for one to open up. A table opened up rather quickly and we were seated just a few minutes after we got our drinks. I'm going to guess that it was no later than 8:30 by the time the waitress came over and told us the specials. Since we already had our drinks we thought we'd share an antipasto while we looked over the menu and decided on our meals. But when I tried to order it the waitress told us we could not order an appetizer until we ordered our meals! She said that everything that we were ordering had to go into the kitchen at the same time. I wasn't sure if she was joking or she just misunderstood me so I politely confirmed our request. Again, I was shot down! Her explanation was that the kitchen was so small that they had to time everything perfectly, including the spacing of our meals with our appetizers. I explained that we had not even looked at the menu yet but we would like to have something to munch on while we did. If that somehow affected the timing of the meals that we hadn't even ordered yet, we would be willing accept the consequences. She insisted that this was management's policy and she would not get us the antipasto, which is basically a salad, even after I pressed her on it several more times. Wasn't going to happen, no way, no how. I was ticked. She knew I was ticked. She knew why I was ticked, and she still stuck to her guns. Others at the table thought that maybe she was just telling us this because we where her last table and she wanted to rush us through dinner so she could leave early, but I tend to doubt that.

This place does a great job of recreating the menu and atmosphere of an authentic Tuscan restaurant. I used to like to go there because it really does feel very much like what I have experienced in some small towns of Italy. How they could screw up that wonderful illusion so badly on something so simple is astounding to me. Italy is the birthplace of Slow Food for crying out loud! Of the 3 or 4 the times I've been there in the past couple of years it never came up before, but now that it has I am beside myself with the arrogance of this place. It may seem like a small thing to some, most perhaps, but it motivated to write this at almost midnight on a Sunday, so I guess it's important to me. So anyway, I won't be back anytime soon. If their management happens to read this I would love to get their response. Who knows, maybe the waitress was trying to get out early.

BTW, the food and service was good but we didn't bother with the antipasto.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:16 AM   #20
styl+

Very nice, bistro style, dyn-o-mite food, attitudes they could lose!!

They used to have Jazz bands on Thursday nights,,,,are they still??
styl+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:20 AM   #21
Smitty1

That is definately their policy. It threw me back the first time I heard it as well, but it has been that way for a couple of years I think.

If you know it going in it is not that big of a deal. I think they will bring you some bread so you have something to munch on before you order.

Smitty
Smitty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 08:19 AM   #22
Gatto Nero

They did bring some bread, and 4 olives for the 4 of us, but that really isn't the point. It's not that we needed to fill our faces immediately, it's just we felt we should be able to dictate the flow of the meal and were not given the opportunity. It's just not in keeping with type of place that they are trying to be.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:03 AM   #23
TomC

Default Abondante

My family and I decided to try this restaurant, as it looked like it might be an interesting place to dine. We went to Meredith by boat last thursday and basically had out pick of any restaurant we wanted this weekday evening. To answer a question raised earlier - i did not see any Jazz musicians...

We (myself, wife, children 9 and 11 years old) were seated immediately and given the choice to sit inside or on the patio. We chose the patio as it was a nice evening. I was slightly disappointed with the patio location as there was too much "back operation" activity taking place which required workers traversing the dining area to access a lower kitchen/storage area. A girl carrying 5 gallon buckets of ice must have made 3-4 trips during the meal, there was a delivery of some kind and a couple of other trips back and forth for one reason or another. Also, in spite of the "no cell calls" notice, the bozo at the table behind us talked incessantly on his phone via his Cyborg earpiece while his date fumed in the next chair.. all this hub-bub was somewhat distracting, but it wasn't too big a deal.

The server was nice and attentive (Kim) and we got no sense of the snootiness mentioned in earlier messages in this thread. She brought us as much bread and olives as we wanted and the water glasses were kept full.

Unfortunately they were out of several dishes, so my wife and son were down to second/third choices which is always a disappointment. My son combined two appetizers, mussels and a salad, as a meal. He made a good choice and his food was very good. My wife ordered a tomato and mozzarella salad to start and this was poor. Despite the ability to buy spectacular tomatoes at retail at almost any farmstand (for instance Moulton Farms which has awesome tomatoes and is only a couple of miles away) she received her salad made with "january" tomatoes - white, hard, mealy. For $9 this is ridiculous, especially at a high-end restaurant. She ordered a seafood lasagna for the main course and this was very good and the portion was ample. My daughter had a pasta dish which they prepared in a half/children's portion which was welcome as her appetite is small. It was very good, made with a plum tomato sauce. She ordered a caesar salad, as did I, and these were good, but I thought a little on the skimpy side for $8. For my main course, I ordered a steak-tip dish served on a portobella mushroom, which while well-prepared and flavorful, was over-priced at $23. There were four pieces of meat - maybe totaling 3 ounces, 6 microscopic baby carrots (i'm talking about 1" long), and a small ice cream scoop of garlic mashed potatoes on the plate...

Altogether, the total was $145, with gratuity, which included a glass of wine and an Italian beer. I would say the experience overall rates about a "7", which falls short of what I was hoping for when we set out to dine at Abondante.

We most likely will not go back in the near future, but I am glad we tried it.

Last edited by TomC; 08-22-2008 at 03:25 PM. Reason: spelling
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote