Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2022, 02:08 PM   #1
Garcia

Default handicap dock space or loading/unloading area

Greetings all,

More and more I am bringing a friend and/or relative with serious mobility issues to and from the island. Every once in a while it is super hard to find a dock space that works to get someone out of the boat and onto dry land. This, coupled with the number of boats I see circling public docks on busy weekends makes me wonder - why are there no handicap OR designated loading/unloading (5 or 10 minute limit) only docks spaces? If there are any, I am not aware of them.

My use of public space is generally at Shep Brown's, Meredith, and Center Harbor; maybe such spaces exists elsewhere?

Just curious and wonder what others think
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 02:17 PM   #2
WinnisquamZ

Opening a big can of worms with this inquiry

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 02:22 PM   #3
FlyingScot

Wouldn't pretty much any gas dock fill this bill?
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 02:51 PM   #4
WinnisquamZ

No. Believe they are looking for a horizontal roll off and on dock.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 03:13 PM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
Greetings all,

More and more I am bringing a friend and/or relative with serious mobility issues to and from the island. Every once in a while it is super hard to find a dock space that works to get someone out of the boat and onto dry land. This, coupled with the number of boats I see circling public docks on busy weekends makes me wonder - why are there no handicap OR designated loading/unloading (5 or 10 minute limit) only docks spaces? If there are any, I am not aware of them.

My use of public space is generally at Shep Brown's, Meredith, and Center Harbor; maybe such spaces exists elsewhere?

Just curious and wonder what others think
Glendale has a load/unload only section as well as a handicap docking area with a (I think) lift assist apparatus, close to the handicap spots in the parking lot.
Last time I was there, Wolfeboro had handicap docking placed as far away from the parking lot as possible.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2022, 03:23 PM   #6
ishoot308

Thanked 4,923 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Glendale has a load/unload only section as well as a handicap docking area with a (I think) lift assist apparatus, close to the handicap spots in the parking lot.
Last time I was there, Wolfeboro had handicap docking placed as far away from the parking lot as possible.
Glendale no longer has a handicap dock space or lifting apparatus. It was originally installed for one handicap island resident. When that person passed away it was removed. I believe they removed it about two years ago.

Dan
Descant (06-27-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 03:51 PM   #7
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Wouldn't pretty much any gas dock fill this bill?
Basically looking for a dock that can easily accommodate a wheelchair and/or a walker. A lift or any special accommodations are not needed, but being close to land is helpful as opposed to a gas dock which is often the furthest dock from pavement.

This got me thinking about designated very short term space set aside for dropping people off, picking people up. I’ve used the dock designated for trailered boats when at Center Harbor, but am not aware of a similar type space in Meredith. I have a slip at Sheps (which does not work for a wheelchair or Walker) but have watched others struggle to pick a group up off the dock as there was no space.

I have no intention of opening a can of worms - just curious as I see handicap car spaces right next to docks, but have never seen a designated handicap space on a public dock.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:31 AM   #8
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Certainly no one would object in Meredith if you briefly used the dock at the launch ramp
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 06:41 AM   #9
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Handicap access

This has been a sticky subject for decades. Glendale did have a handicap space and lift. I was told the lift was removed due to vandalism.

Wolfeboro did have handicap access. The community did pass some money to install a lift. Not sure if it happens.

It will be a matter of time before someone complains to the Disability Rights Commission and I am sure they will mandate public docks to require handicap access under the ADA umbrella. I think this will be an excellent idea as the population aged.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:42 AM   #10
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Certainly no one would object in Meredith if you briefly used the dock at the launch ramp
Thanks for the reminder. I go there infrequently and forgot all about that!
Old 06-28-2022, 06:47 AM   #11
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Glendale used to have that handicap spot, but it's been gone for a few years...I was told it never got used.
Old 06-28-2022, 09:45 AM   #12
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-on-mark View Post
Glendale used to have that handicap spot, but it's been gone for a few years...I was told it never got used.
This is the basic flaw with the ADA--it seems to have been written by people who did not own pocket calculators. I'm all for making sure as many as possible have access to as much as feasible, and happy to pay more in taxes to do so. But so many ADA accommodations have been put in at exorbitant cost to aid a small number of people on relatively unimportant areas of access. A town-funded ramp/lift for one person to access an island vacation home would be one example. I previously lived in a town that was trying to make an addition to Town Hall where half the cost was an ADA-required elevator to a single second-floor meeting room. That was enough to stop the whole project.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 09:58 AM   #13
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
This is the basic flaw with the ADA--it seems to have been written by people who did not own pocket calculators. I'm all for making sure as many as possible have access to as much as feasible, and happy to pay more in taxes to do so. But so many ADA accommodations have been put in at exorbitant cost to aid a small number of people on relatively unimportant areas of access. A town-funded ramp/lift for one person to access an island vacation home would be one example. I previously lived in a town that was trying to make an addition to Town Hall where half the cost was an ADA-required elevator to a single second-floor meeting room. That was enough to stop the whole project.
I don't disagree with the idea of good intentions but flawed implementation notion.

My common sense idea (at least common sense for me) is to designate a space or two at public docks for loading and unloading only - a 5-15 minute limit. This would allow for handicap access in the way I envision while also giving more people access to drop off and pick up at public docks.