Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2022, 08:01 AM   #1
RUGMAN

Default Boat storage and gas

When a marina stores your boat do they put additive in fuel for storage, When I stored my jetski this yearner the first time at my house, I filled the tank , added stabilizer , ran for ten minutes then put away, my tritoon is stored at the local marina.
RUGMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 08:27 AM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUGMAN View Post
When a marina stores your boat do they put additive in fuel for storage, When I stored my jetski this yearner the first time at my house, I filled the tank , added stabilizer , ran for ten minutes then put away, my tritoon is stored at the local marina.
The four or five different places that winterized my boat(s) all treated the gas with stabilizer.

Dave
Old 03-06-2022, 08:28 AM   #3
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
I can't recall MVM listing adding additive as part of the winterization, but if you filled your tank with marine fuel, you've already got additives in it.

I'm always torn by the "store with full tank to prevent moisture" and "store with empty tank and fill with fresh fuel in spring."

I've always done the latter with my seasonal machines and never had a problem.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 09:13 AM   #4
Loub52

Quote:
Yes. Goodhue's (former Shep Brown’s/Meredith too) checks the fuel level prior to storing and adds additive accordingly.
Old 03-06-2022, 10:14 AM   #5
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I can't recall MVM listing adding additive as part of the winterization, but if you filled your tank with marine fuel, you've already got additives in it.

I'm always torn by the "store with full tank to prevent moisture" and "store with empty tank and fill with fresh fuel in spring."

I've always done the latter with my seasonal machines and never had a problem.

Same here. I know it’s good to fill tank to keep water from accumulating but it was just easier to run low and use less stabilizer. My boat was very heavy to pull out with a full tank and I always bought gas at the marina.

All other small engines I don’t bother with stabilizer. Some are over 30 years old and still running fine. Never needed service. Maybe a spark plug once. So I question if stabilizer is even needed in the boat.

I used to fog the boat too and there was controversy on that too and I stopped doing that. Most critical was drain and flush/fill with RV antifreeze. It was a full inboard and it took a good 8 gallons. Never a problem never serviced in 20 years. Boat never left my yard (except when on water).

Last edited by mswlogo; 03-06-2022 at 02:54 PM.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2022, 12:18 PM   #6
Loventhelake

Yes they all do, it’s included and part of the winterization process.
Loventhelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 12:43 PM   #7
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

At MVYC, Fuel stabilizer is on the work request list I fill out prior to storage. I add stabilizer when I buy gas in the summer if the boat will not be used for several weeks. The stabilizer is not part of the gas as far as I know.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 01:11 PM   #8
DesertDweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
At MVYC, Fuel stabilizer is on the work request list I fill out prior to storage. I add stabilizer when I buy gas in the summer if the boat will not be used for several weeks. The stabilizer is not part of the gas as far as I know.
If your marina sells ValvTect gas it has a stabilizer in it. With that said I also still put stabilizer in it as well. Cheap insurance.
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 03:55 PM   #9
8gv

Stabilizer is intended to help the boat owner stay even keeled through the off season.

Stabilizing the fuel allows for less worry!

One consideration is how long it takes to get the fuel from the tank to the carb/injectors.

If there is a long hose run and large fuel filter it may take longer than ten minutes at idle.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 05:27 PM   #10
mswlogo

Right, I always ran it WOT for ~10 minute joy ride on the water just before I took it out.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 07:15 PM   #11
WinnisquamZ

Thinking over $6 a gallon on the water this summer

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 07:27 PM   #12
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Thinking over $6 a gallon on the water this summer
You might be right. That will make all the people who filled in the fall feel good about the "cheap gas" they get to use on their first tankful.

I hope this mess ends soon. It will be interesting to see if there is any decline in boat usage if the gas price stays high into the summer. I have a boat that gets about 1.5 MPG. Even if you can afford it, you have to be thinking about the cost of fuel if it gets to the $6 per gallon range.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 07:36 PM   #13
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
You might be right. That will make all the people who filled in the fall feel good about the "cheap gas" they get to use on their first tankful.

I hope this mess ends soon. It will be interesting to see if there is any decline in boat usage if the gas price stays high into the summer. I have a boat that gets about 1.5 MPG. Even if you can afford it, you have to be thinking about the cost of fuel if it gets to the $6 per gallon range.
For me, $6 wouldn't change how often I go out, but it would fundamentally change what I do when out. Fewer port/restaurant visits and cross-lake trips to sandbars and more anchoring out in coves with picnic lunches, etc.

The jetski piece will be interesting as I think it'll be fairly similar. Instead of heading to Wolfeboro for lunch, we'll stop to swim and anchor out closer to home.

thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 07:56 PM   #14
WinnisquamZ

I believe we all saw a reduction in boating the last time it was around $5. Don’t see why it would be different this season. And I also hope I am wrong, just don’t see how we recover quickly from this issue

WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
Biggd (03-06-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 09:36 PM   #15
John Mercier

I generally watch for customers talking about energy efficient windows being their first priority... most are concerned with color, then price.

Also new builds would be seeking trusses with energy heels.

It would be about the same cycle as last time - capitalism balanced it out... could produce enough to meet total demand, so demand destruction balanced it out.

This one may more likely be that... I watched an interview with Devon Energy; seems they aren't willing to pump more... the debt is too risky should demand destruction kick in.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote