Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2022, 06:13 PM   #1
Donzi Minx

Unhappy Naegleria Fowleri

Was planning on a day trip Saturday. Number two son who works in the medical profession sounded the alarm bell on this brain eating amoeba. It has a 97 percent fatality rate. Due to the small amount of brain cells that I have left I told him that it would be a quick snack once it got to me!
Anyone hear or know anything about? It says that it thrives in lake / river water at approximately 115 degrees. At roughly 70 degrees current lake temperature, can anyone board of health weigh in on this? I always duck completely when in the lake. Keeping ones head above the water seemed uniquely odd to me.
Donzi Minx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:56 PM   #2
fatlazyless

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/naegleria/state-map.html ...... according to this map from the CDC ...... the brain eating parasite Naegleria fowleri is alive and doing well ...... thriving even ...... in the Winnipesaukee lake water, but ONLY in Wolfeboro! ..... omg .... ! ...... just look at this CDC map ...... like Wolfeboro is totally overun with this no-good, unfriendly, brain eating parasite!

May God have mercy on all the poor people suffering in Wolfeboro with the Naegleria fowleri. ....

Recently eating a $26.99 lobster roll sandwich appears to be a common link among all the brain damaged afflicted victims ...... hut-hut-hut! .....
Old 08-18-2022, 07:29 PM   #3
TheTimeTraveler

The key for avoidance is to not let the water go into the nostrils. Either keep your head above water, or wear nose clips.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheTimeTraveler For This Useful Post:
The Real BigGuy (08-19-2022)
Old 08-18-2022, 07:48 PM   #4
Loub52

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/naegleria/state-map.html ...... according to this map from the CDC ...... the brain eating parasite Naegleria fowleri is alive and doing well ...... thriving even ...... in the Winnipesaukee lake water, but ONLY in Wolfeboro! ..... omg .... ! ...... just look at this CDC map ...... like Wolfeboro is totally overun with this no-good, unfriendly, brain eating parasite!

May God have mercy on all the poor people suffering in Wolfeboro with the Naegleria fowleri. ....

Recently eating a $26.99 lobster roll sandwich appears to be a common link among all the brain damaged afflicted victims ...... hut-hut-hut! .....
Too funny!
Old 08-18-2022, 08:53 PM   #5
Newbiesaukee

We see a few cases a year in Florida. It is dangerous and disgusting but I doubt it is a factor in Winnipesaukee. Really, one less thing to worry about.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2022, 04:44 PM   #6
fatlazyless

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/18/s...-nebraska.html ..... almost no one reading this goes in the lake, let alone actually goes swimming ..... the number of people who swim in Lake Winnipesaukee is very low

Swimming is a Lake Winnipesaukee skill that was tried once or twice and forgot, many years ago. The big lake is all about boats with motors and motorboating.
Old 08-19-2022, 05:22 PM   #7
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/18/s...-nebraska.html ..... almost no one reading this goes in the lake, let alone actually goes swimming ..... the number of people who swim in Lake Winnipesaukee is very low

Swimming is a Lake Winnipesaukee skill that was tried once or twice and forgot, many years ago. The big lake is all about boats with motors and motorboating.
Boats are just mechanism to transport the swimmers to their favorite swimming spot and carry their super noodles. Simply going to a town beach and swimming without a noodle is so old school its just for tourists who are actually banned from so many town beaches, but love to sneak in as it feels like getting away with something!

But the devoted water people burn copious amounts of expensive fuel to get to that perfect swimming spot. And too often when we arrive, my wife will want me to pull up anchor and go to a different location as the first one was not just right. So load up the noodles, pull up the anchor, drive 1/2 mile and stop to pull up the ladder the last person in the boat left down, and try again at another spot several gals of fuel later. Thank god the noodles dont weigh much and are flexible and easy to pack up. The anchor, chain and rope are another story and always a pain in the @$$. But this is still so much better than any old beach,,,

Well at least I get to enjoy the rumble of 8.2 liters of Mercruiser Monster under the deck! Thank god for power boats, but I sure do miss the wonderful smell of white marine gas and heavy 2 cycle oil mix, those were the real days of fun, and I'll bet the oil and gas mix spewed into the water from those old 2 stroke motors kept stupid Naegleria Fowleri under control ;-)
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 06:45 AM   #8
C-Bass

I have known about this for years. I think it usually occurs when water is forced up the nose. Ie: tubbing and waterskiing. It’s one of the reasons I don’t waterski or tube. It’s a risk I am not willing to take. Though, common sense would say it shouldn’t be a factor this far north.
C-Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 11:22 AM   #9
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzi Minx View Post
Was planning on a day trip Saturday. Number two son who works in the medical profession sounded the alarm bell on this brain eating amoeba. It has a 97 percent fatality rate. Due to the small amount of brain cells that I have left I told him that it would be a quick snack once it got to me!
Anyone hear or know anything about? It says that it thrives in lake / river water at approximately 115 degrees. At roughly 70 degrees current lake temperature, can anyone board of health weigh in on this? I always duck completely when in the lake. Keeping ones head above the water seemed uniquely odd to me.
It is safe to say that the lake will not reach 115 degrees so it will not be thriving here. I am sure the chances of catching it here is probably similar to winning Powerball or getting struck by lightning.

Go on with your life!
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 11:26 AM   #10
ITD

Be afraid, be very afraid.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 03:04 PM   #11
fatlazyless

August 25, 2022: Not the Naegleria Fowleri parasite.......... is just old fashioned fecal bacteria ...... aka duck poop at work here ......https://www4.des.state.nh.us/WaterShed_BeachMaps/ posted at Corcoran's Pond Town Beach, Waterville Valley ...... Kennett Park Beach-Silver Lake, Madison.

Click on any of the 12 red squares in southern NH and the warning is Cyanobacteria.

My guess .... a fecal bacteria warning is due to ducks, geese, water fowl and low water inflow/outflow due to the ongoing drought. Hopefully, tomorrow's Friday rain will flush it all away down the brook and the NH-DES orange warning signs will be removed.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 08-25-2022 at 04:13 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote