Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2019, 03:58 PM   #1
Top-Water

Default Free Admission: 1954 Water Skiing Competition Lake Opechee

Free Admission to the 1954 Water Skiing Competition on Lake Opechee. Not a particularly great video, (sorry no sound) but perhaps of some interest to history buff's that enjoy watching old videos about the lakes region or folks that are water -skiing enthusiasts that remember how big of a sport is was back then and the different organized clubs the region had years ago.

I always wanted to try the ski jump on Winnisquam back in the 60's that was positioned in the same general area of where the original Winnisquam water ski races started and ended. Across the street from the current Lake House at Ferry Point Inn before they starting using the Dixon point beach to hold them. Wasn't afraid of doing the jump, was more fearful of breaking my moms hand / home maid water skis that dad had built. Last time I remember the jump was probably the late 70's or maybe one year in the early 80's. Anyone out there ever do it? As kids we were always told it takes special reinforced skis that won't break in half when you land.

Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Top-Water For This Useful Post:
Dickie B from HB (02-14-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 05:35 PM   #2
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Channel Ski Club

In the mid-60's, Bob Ober started the Channel Ski Club, at least, he filed the paperwork. (He owned Lazy Bones Boat Charters) The boat charter b usiness drew more of his attention ad he did nothing with the club. He turned it all over to a group of teenagers who had access to a jump, and it was anchored in a NW corner of Paugus Bay. A neighbor let us store it on the nearby beach for the winter. I learned to jump there. As you lean into the side to aim for the jump, you may be going faster than the boat and it takes a good driver to keep the slack out of the towrope so you don't sink when you land. Yes, you definitely needed "jumpers", longer, reinforced. They wqere made by Cove-Craft in Laconia "Aqua Sport" was the ski brand name. Many of the marathon skiers used jumpers, too. Their bindings had a rubber ankle strap that went over your instep and was much more secure than the design where you slide the heel piece back and forth. Ironically, Cove Craft also made wooden crutches.
Thanks for the video
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 11:44 PM   #3
Senter Cove Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
Are there any jumps left "anywhere" on the lake, Several years ago I seem to recall there being one in the little back harbor in Wolfeboro. I imagine they are not an easy thing to set up so it cant spin in the wind, not to mention they have to have lights. I don't know who maintained the one on Winnisquam but always thought it was cool that it was there.
The jump in Wolfeboro's Back Bay is there every summer.
Top-Water (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 01:07 PM   #4
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Careful, Top-Water

Post#3
"...I always wanted to try it. When I was a kid I would always make a fake aggressive pass at it, making believe I was gonna do it."
I don't know about all, but most have a gate at the top of the jump. You have to unlock it and fold it down before the jump is functional. You also have to maintain the wax surface, and perhaps pour some water on it before use. Not difficult preparations, but think of how your snow skis stop suddenly in spring conditions when you encounter a non-snow surface.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
stingray (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 12:57 AM   #5
Senter Cove Guy

Default Ski Jump In Melvin Bay

Back in the late 1950's / early 1960's, Carl Hansen had a jump for a couple of summers. I did maybe 3-4 jumps back then. I wasn't very good at it but I was glad I tried it.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:27 PM   #6
Dickie B from HB

Default mid fifties ski championships

Back in the mid fifties we used to go to the ski championships on Lake Opechee every year. I'm sure that I was there in 1954. Thanks for the video. Brings back memories.

I remember that a ski jump used to be on the north side of Welches back then.
Dickie B from HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:29 PM   #7
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senter Cove Guy View Post
Back in the late 1950's / early 1960's, Carl Hansen had a jump for a couple of summers. I did maybe 3-4 jumps back then. I wasn't very good at it but I was glad I tried it.
The father Carl or the son had the jump?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote