Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2022, 12:21 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Home Security Camera Issues - Help

I'm having issues with my home security cameras.
Cameras are made by Reolink.

I've had these cameras for a couple years and work flawlessly managing with my mobile phone, however, issues began when I upgraded my phone to a new T-Mobile Revvl 6 Pro, which runs at 5G.

I think the issue is that the cameras are not adaptable to the 5G technology.
Old phone was T-Mobile but ran 4G.

Do any Forum member have Reolink cameras and having similar issues ?
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 08:25 AM   #2
brk-lnt

5G really shouldn't have anything to do with it.

I assume you are remote and trying to access the cameras, and not at the same location as the cameras?
Old 10-15-2022, 09:36 AM   #3
granitebox

I would agree in the comment that 5G should not impact the connection to the devices - that's more of an app/software issue vs the speed at which your phone is able to operate.

If its a new phone the first thing I would check is to make sure the phone itself is up to date with the latest version of Android. Then make sure the app itself is up to date. Those are the easy things to check.

Then check 1) connect while on the wifi network as the cameras (if you can) and 2) connect while the phone is NOT on the wifi network as the cameras.

This is only going to help narrow down the problem and not necessarily fix it. but hopefully its a start
granitebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 02:29 PM   #4
ITD

You should call T mobile. I have an Ipad with cell service that I use for flying. It worked great until they started updating cells to 5G. Now it's spotty at best. Time to buy one with 5G. There may be an update you can do to the cameras that might help.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 11:18 AM   #5
bobkatfly

Are your cameras running off your home WiFi? If so, one other thing to look at is if all devices are picking up the frequency band they need, i.e. 2.4 or 5.0 GHz. Most newer devices will automatically pickup the correct band but it's worthwhile and easy to check. How old is you router?

Amherst till the big 66 comes (made it!)
Winter Harbor/Mirror Lake till the big guy comes
bobkatfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2022, 04:02 PM   #6
bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatfly View Post
Are your cameras running off your home WiFi? If so, one other thing to look at is if all devices are picking up the frequency band they need, i.e. 2.4 or 5.0 GHz. Most newer devices will automatically pickup the correct band but it's worthwhile and easy to check. How old is you router?
Router is about 2 yrs old.
Cameras I suspect are probably working fine, the issue is I cannot monitor cameras from my new T-Mobile (REVVL 6 Pro) phone using the Reolink application installed on my phone. I've un-installed the Appl and re-installed several time without success.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 04:15 PM   #7
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Cameras I suspect are probably working fine, the issue is I cannot monitor cameras from my new T-Mobile (REVVL 6 Pro) phone using the Reolink application installed on my phone. I've un-installed the Appl and re-installed several time without success.

Put your phone in airplane mode and just use the wifi. If it still doesn't work, then it's the app, not the 5G phone network.
Old 10-18-2022, 06:06 PM   #8
ITD

Quote:

Ah, I thought the cameras were 4G over cellular. I have 5G Samsung 21 ultra with the normal 5G service. It's actually slower than my old 4G phone IMO, especially when I am in a congested cellular area. Of course, I have the "standard" 5G service, not the enhanced higher speed service.

You might want to send Reolink a note.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 06:58 PM   #9
TheProfessor

Quote:
I think the issue is that the cameras are not adaptable to the 5G technology.
Old phone was T-Mobile but ran 4G.
1. Try a different phone. Spouse, relative, neighbor, or friend. Put the app on a different phone.

2. 5G is not available in many areas here.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 01:17 PM   #10
The Real BigGuy

Most 5G phones should automatically kick down to 4G if 5G isn’t available. Again, unless your cameras are broadcasting to cellular (you can buy them but they are expensive) your 5G cellular is not the problem. Have you checked your wireless network to see if they are connected? Unless the camera’s are wireless and relatively new they probably broadcast on 2.4GH band. Every time I move my Nest Cam from the lake to home I have to go into the router and turn off the SON (self organizing network) because the cam recognizes the router as 5Gh and won’t connect. I then connect the cam to the 2.4Gh network the turn the SON back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote