Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2020, 08:27 AM   #1
bigdog

Default Fishing Waders ?

I plan to purchase some 'chest high' fishing waders, but have never bought this type of product before, and looking for suggestions.

I see some 'chest high' waders come with 'stocking feet' type and others
come with built-in boots, what are the pros-cons of each ?

Still confused, ad sorry for such a silly question, but If I purchase the 'stocking type' waders, do I still need to wear boots to wear ?

Thanks !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:48 AM   #2
AC2717

I Like the full boot, seamless all the way and one piece, Problem is and I would recommend, on less item like boots to purchase and what not, putting soles in the the boots to soften it for your feet. With that being said some people wear like a sneaker or something in them. I prefer just a shoe sole in them.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:54 AM   #3
WinnisquamZ

Also enjoy the one piece with the boot. Will say I which I upgraded to a thermo pair.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:08 AM   #4
Garcia

I have a pair of stocking foot Goretex waders. With hindsight, I would rather have the boot. The Goretex were worth the price. They are super comfortable and pack down to almost nothing. Probably had therm 15 years give or take, no issues.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:24 AM   #5
DickR

Some years ago I had a pair of rubber chest-highs, with stiff-soled boot, for use when putting the dock in the water or taking it out in November. Apparently the point where the thinner leg rubber met the top of the stiffer boot was a stress point, as that developed a leak I couldn't patch easily. Today there is Shoe Goo, which might be able to patch such a leak. I cut the uppers off the boots before tossing the uppers, to have a pair of foot-high boots for whatever purpose.

I replaced the first waders with foam waders, having soft sock feet. I use them with the boots from the first pair, to have something stiff underfoot and to take abuse from rocks or anything on shore. The whole outfit of boots and waders is clumsy on land, of course, but I don't see a way around that.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2020, 10:38 AM   #6
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickR View Post
Some years ago I had a pair of rubber chest-highs, with stiff-soled boot, for use when putting the dock in the water or taking it out in November. Apparently the point where the thinner leg rubber met the top of the stiffer boot was a stress point, as that developed a leak I couldn't patch easily. Today there is Shoe Goo, which might be able to patch such a leak. I cut the uppers off the boots before tossing the uppers, to have a pair of foot-high boots for whatever purpose.

I replaced the first waders with foam waders, having soft sock feet. I use them with the boots from the first pair, to have something stiff underfoot and to take abuse from rocks or anything on shore. The whole outfit of boots and waders is clumsy on land, of course, but I don't see a way around that.
Don’t forget “Flex Tape” the stuff works...makes a tight water seal and sticks to boots like crazy. I resurrected a pair of Mucks that had separated at the soles and used them all this winter so far. Looks like hell but no fashion show here.

Last edited by Hillcountry; 04-01-2020 at 04:36 PM.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:18 AM   #7
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
Ohh Boy !!!!!!!!!! here we go..... with the FLL replies.......
Stick a noodle to the top of the waders with the flex tape and you could have a pair of waders that will float.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:15 PM   #8
fatlazyless

Until you get up to spending about $99 for a set of neoprene waders, every less expensive, name brand Tilton Walmart wader will take on a fast leak. Tilton Walmart has a 48" wide shelf unit in their fishing dept with all waders, and they all will leak except for the $99 neoprene design.

I learned that the hard way, over about five years.

Hodgman neoprene for $99 will fit best, work good, and not leak ..... at least not yet for installing/removing a dock .... plus you can try them on at Tilton Walmart.

The Gilford and Plymouth Walmart's do not have any waders.