Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2022, 08:59 AM   #1
marcucci

Default Big Shed/Small Building Moving?

Hi all,

I have a small room, which could be considered a large shed, that needs to be moved. It's about 10 x 27, a traditional build (2x4 stud, 2x8 joists) that I need to move about 40 feet. I actually moved it away from the structure it was attached to by rolling it on fence pipes, however, the move back would best be done with some more "advanced" equipment.

So far I've been told to contact Harper Towing in Meredith but I'm looking for other contacts to get options. Does anyone have any recommendations? I know it's a small job so some people may not want it.

If I had the right equipment I'd do it myself but I can't find a place to rent the right combo of equipment. Also, I have overhead power lines so a crane is likely not a possibility.

Thanks all.
Boat #3: Premier Sunsation 220 Tritoon
Boating on Winnipesaukee since 1989
Vacationing on Winnipesaukee since 1975
marcucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 09:23 AM   #2
fatlazyless

With half a dozen fat foam noodles and a $30 come-along ..... is so easy to roll a large shed back up a slope ..... no problem!

On the other hand ..... Ready Equipment in Meredith will rent out a 19,000-lb excavator with treads and probably (?) good for towing it ..... for four hours for $375 ..... big fun and easy-peasy!
Old 07-09-2022, 10:47 PM   #3
marcucci

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
With half a dozen fat foam noodles and a $30 come-along ..... is so easy to roll a large shed back up a slope ..... no problem!

On the other hand ..... Ready Equipment in Meredith will rent out a 19,000-lb excavator with treads and probably (?) good for towing it ..... for four hours for $375 ..... big fun and easy-peasy!
The problem is it has to be moved up against another building, so pulling with a tow vehicle or a come-along is a challenge. I think I need to push or lift it in place. One guy suggested putting some 2x8's across the front and pushing it with a truck.

I saw "Weha Yellow 2 Wheel Install Slab Dolly" on Amazon with 1100 lbs capacity each. I was thinking if I could rent 20 of those I could give the building wheels and push it. At $189 each, I'm not sinking $3800 into this one time use situation.
Boat #3: Premier Sunsation 220 Tritoon
Boating on Winnipesaukee since 1989
Vacationing on Winnipesaukee since 1975
marcucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 05:46 AM   #4
fatlazyless

That tv guy, Otto Kilcher from The Last Frontier can move your shed with his 25-year old, small excavator that he bought all-broken for dirt cheap and spent an entire winter fixing it up. What he does is he will push a shed on runners using the forward arm/scoop on the excavator.

If Otto is not available, maybe rent out a small excavator from Ready Equipment, or from Rand's Hardware in Plymouth. Every Wednesday starting at 7-am is half price rental day at Rand's and they have a small Caterpillar excavator plus some BobCats on trailers.
Old 07-10-2022, 06:33 AM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post

I so expected this reply.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (07-10-2022)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2022, 11:41 AM   #6
The Real BigGuy

Dave Farley (Diversified Marine) moved 3 houses from the mainland to Little Bear so he has the expertise. I think his mainland arm is called Tech20. Sorry, no contact info.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 12:12 PM   #7
TheTimeTraveler

You may want to consider cutting it into three 9' sections to make the moving project far more manageable.....

Reducing the size and weight opens up many more options to get the shed moved in pieces rather than entirety. Using this method then overhead wires should no longer be an issue.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote