Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Covid-19 Discussions & Information
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2020, 06:01 AM   #1
smith point boater

Default Alton Increase

The cases in Alton have more that doubled the last 9 days There were 8 total cases for the longest time and has jumped to 17 since last Saturday. Anyone know if this is an isolated area or location (school, specific business, sport field etc) or is this being passed around town ?
Old 10-10-2020, 10:44 AM   #2
BrownstoneNorth

Default And continuing to increase

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith point boater View Post
The cases in Alton have more that doubled the last 9 days There were 8 total cases for the longest time and has jumped to 17 since last Saturday. Anyone know if this is an isolated area or location (school, specific business, sport field etc) or is this being passed around town ?
But I have no info on why.

As of yesterday, Oct.9:

6 Active, Total 23
Old 10-10-2020, 02:31 PM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I think I did hear on WMUR that Alton school had cases.
Old 10-10-2020, 05:04 PM   #4
barefootbay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNorth View Post
But I have no info on why.

As of yesterday, Oct.9:

6 Active, Total 23
More testing
Old 10-13-2020, 09:47 AM   #5
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootbay View Post
More testing
More testing is an indecorous assumption.

The cases in all of New Hampshire have spiked.

We are now into the middle of October. Schools have been open for awhile now - the ones that actually opened. Some opened schools have had to close because of a spike in cases.

The cases in New Hampshire have spiked.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2020, 10:29 AM   #6
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
More testing is an indecorous assumption.

The cases in all of New Hampshire have spiked.

We are now into the middle of October. Schools have been open for awhile now - the ones that actually opened. Some opened schools have had to close because of a spike in cases.

The cases in New Hampshire have spiked.
I think more MA schools will be going remote in the upcoming weeks as more areas go red. Best I know, though, is that none have had any cases of in-school transmission.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 10-17-2020, 05:55 AM   #7
thinkxingu

Interlakes School District is going remote starting Monday.

Old 10-17-2020, 06:08 AM   #8
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post

Did they have positives from faculty or students?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 10-17-2020, 06:21 AM   #9
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Did they have positives from faculty or students?

I didn't see anything more than that there was a case in a middle school.

As best I know, there are no cases of in-school transmission in New England but there are many from out-of-school contact through sports and activities, parties and gatherings, etc.

Having been in-person for a month now, I'm confident that if schools are affected negatively it will be because of what's happening outside the buildings not inside (assuming the school is doing the right thing).

Old 10-17-2020, 06:51 AM   #10
joey2665

Quote:
I didn't see anything more than that there was a case in a middle school.

As best I know, there are no cases of in-school transmission in New England but there are many from out-of-school contact through sports and activities, parties and gatherings, etc.

Having been in-person for a month now, I'm confident that if schools are affected negatively it will be because of what's happening outside the buildings not inside (assuming the school is doing the right thing).

Thanks for the information. I agree most schools are doing an excellent and that it’s outside the school were issues can arise. I’m really not a fan of the remote learning many kids I know have trouble with it as does my son. Thank god his school is all in person.

Old 10-17-2020, 07:00 AM   #11
thinkxingu

Quote:
Thanks for the information. I agree most schools are doing an excellent and that it’s outside the school were issues can arise. I’m really not a fan of the remote learning many kids I know have trouble with it as does my son. Thank god his school is all in person.

Yup—neither remote nor hybrid are good options, but it's a numbers game. I routinely have classes of 30+, but with 6' distancing guidelines, my classroom can only hold 12. As a result, admin couldn't even just cut my classes in half for hybrid, they had to spread out students to classes they didn't choose to get my total to 24 so they could split into two cohorts of 12. Add ventilation and cleaning/maintenance requirements, and it became incredibly difficult for a lot of schools.

Essentially, this process has been exponentially more difficult because of decades of issues with education funding.

Old 10-17-2020, 07:05 AM   #12
joey2665

Quote:
Yup—neither remote nor hybrid are good options, but it's a numbers game. I routinely have classes of 30+, but with 6' distancing guidelines, my classroom can only hold 12. As a result, admin couldn't even just cut my classes in half for hybrid, they had to spread out students to classes they didn't choose to get my total to 24 so they could split into two cohorts of 12. Add ventilation and cleaning/maintenance requirements, and it became incredibly difficult for a lot of schools.

Essentially, this process has been exponentially more difficult because of decades of issues with education funding.

I really appreciate and feel terrible for the teachers like you. I have many friends that teach in New York and they all agree the children’s education are really suffering this school year.

It’s very difficult to teach certain subjects remotely and for many kids there are too many distractions at home to concentrate then add the social aspect. Ugh

Thank you for what you do for our kids!!

Old 10-17-2020, 07:39 AM   #13
thinkxingu

Quote:
I really appreciate and feel terrible for the teachers like you. I have many friends that teach in New York and they all agree the children’s education are really suffering this school year.

It’s very difficult to teach certain subjects remotely and for many kids there are too many distractions at home to concentrate then add the social aspect. Ugh

Thank you for what you do for our kids!!

Thanks, friend.

The real losers this year are those from lower-income families because they're stuck in an impossible system: many are unable to work from home and can't afford daycare, so they're getting hammered. Add that, statistically, they live in areas with higher transmission rates, and that remote access and access to technology will be more difficult, and students from places like Lowell, Lawrence, Boston, Chelsea, Everett, etc. (I don't know enough of current NH towns to discuss, but I would guess Laconia, Manchester, etc.) are infinitely more disadvantaged than from higher-income areas.

we'll start to see a more cohesive strategy to keep the numbers down and better treatments/a vaccine sooner than later.

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (10-17-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 08:01 AM   #14
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default A different problem in NH

Quote:
Thanks, friend.

The real losers this year are those from lower-income families because they're stuck in an impossible system: many are unable to work from home and can't afford daycare, so they're getting hammered. Add that, statistically, they live in areas with higher transmission rates, and that remote access and access to technology will be more difficult, and students from places like Lowell, Lawrence, Boston, Chelsea, Everett, etc. (I don't know enough of current NH towns to discuss, but I would guess Laconia, Manchester, etc.) are infinitely more disadvantaged than from higher-income areas.

we'll start to see a more cohesive strategy to keep the numbers down and better treatments/a vaccine sooner than later.

While the major cities in NH may have problems with families that can't work from home, a good portion of NH has a different set of problems. Internet access. I have been on Zoom meetings with an organization to which I belong, and with about a dozen or so attendees, 2 of them have to do the dial-in feature because they have no internet (1) or their internet is so slow Zoom freezes constantly (1).
Many areas in the North Country and also Upper Valley have limited or no internet access. A whole new set of problems.

Here's to getting kids safely back in the classrooms.

Dave
joey2665 (10-17-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 08:07 AM   #15
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
While the major cities in NH may have problems with families that can't work from home, a good portion of NH has a different set of problems. Internet access. I have been on Zoom meetings with an organization to which I belong, and with about a dozen or so attendees, 2 of them have to do the dial-in feature because they have no internet (1) or their internet is so slow Zoom freezes constantly (1).
Many areas in the North Country and also Upper Valley have limited or no internet access. A whole new set of problems.

Dave
I was going to add rural areas to that but, honestly, I figured that between cable and fiber optic, NH probably had that figured out (as opposed to Appalachia and similarly disconnected locales). Thanks for sharing—there certainly are a lot of challenges.

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (10-17-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 06:37 PM   #16
fatlazyless

With the local electric utility, the New Hampshire Electric Cooperative, going forward with providing internet service along with their electric power, seems like a big improvement for this NH-State.

New Hampshire internet service ...... you may now take one giant NHEC step forward! ....
Old 10-17-2020, 07:53 PM   #17
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:

They were remote Friday, too.

Yes, there are affluent, rural communities with sketchy internet that will not support solid remote learning.

Moultonborough area is an example.
Old 10-25-2020, 11:59 AM   #18
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post

Dave
Part of the problem there is Zoom itself. It is a terrible solution. However it is inexpensive so as usual the people that make technology decisions base them solely on price tag and end up paying a whole lot for something that is pretty much useless or barely usable irrespective of internet access quality. Somehow that makes sense! I'll never get that way of thinking, but then again these are probably the same people that shop at Wal-Mart so they don't know any better.

Like anything get what you pay for.
Old 10-25-2020, 01:26 PM   #19
Mr. V

Quote:
Part of the problem there is Zoom itself. It is a terrible solution.
The courts here on the left coast now use Zoom for almost all court hearings and it works very well indeed.

Those who do not have internet or who choose not to use it can call in on their phones and participate orally.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:38 AM   #20
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM
probably the same people that shop at Wal-Mart so they don't know any better.
Like anything get what you pay for.
At Walmart a half gallon of homogenized milk costs 1.49, and a very good 10" Hyper Tough table saw including a waist high, steel stand, costs $149.

At Hannaford and Market Basket the same milk goes for 1.99, and they do not sell a table saw.

No matter how you cut it, Walmart has a lot to offer!

Since this is a thread on Covid-19, is also noteworthy that only the local Walmart has a Walmart employee permanently stationed at the entrance to enforce the "wear a mask" requirement, while Hannaford and Market Basket have only "wear a mask" signs at the entrance.

A students ability to learn via a zoom classroom verses a traditional classroom with a teacher in the room is a lot dependent on the individual student's motivation and ability to concentrate and comprehend. For my money, my school property taxes, the traditional classroom beats the pants off the zoom classroom, every day of the week, and twice on Saturdays ...... like, what's up with this zoom classroom channel ...... gimme that Tennis Channel!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-26-2020 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:16 AM   #21
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
At Walmart a half gallon of homogenized milk costs 1.49, and a very good 10" Hyper Tough table saw including a waist high, steel stand, costs $149.

At Hannaford and Market Basket the same milk goes for 1.99, and they do not sell a table saw.

No matter how you cut it, Walmart has a lot to offer!

Since this is a thread on Covid-19, is also noteworthy that only the local Walmart has a Walmart employee permanently stationed at the entrance to enforce the "wear a mask" requirement, while Hannaford and Market Basket have only "wear a mask" signs at the entrance.

A students ability to learn via a zoom classroom verses a traditional classroom with a teacher in the room is a lot dependent on the individual student's motivation and ability to concentrate and apprehend. For my money, my school property taxes, the traditional classroom beats the pants off the zoom classroom, every day of the week, and twice on Saturdays.
I find it fascinating that somebody of your political persuasion can't seem to get enough Wal-Mart. Pretty hypocritical to say the least. That aside, Wal-Mart is not cheap - what they sell is junk and it's overpriced even though it may seem as though it isn't. It's a brilliant business model that takes advantage of people like yourself.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:12 PM   #22
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Wal-Mart is not cheap - what they sell is junk and it's overpriced even though it may seem as though it isn't.
Yes, Wal-Mart most certainly IS "cheap," at least cheaper than most if not all others selling the same or comparable goods.

I buy a lot of auto maintenance items from them, and it's either name brand or their own brand, and their own brand is just fine.

For example I have used their store brand oil and antifreeze for over a decade without any issues.

I see zero basis for anyone to claim their items are "overpriced."

A capitalist success story, just like Amazon.

Keep up or get out of the way.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:16 AM   #23
fatlazyless

Default Inter-Lakes cancels competitive sports games

October 26, 6:45-pm: WMUR-9; http://www.wmur.com/article/inter-la...ports/34486210 ... Inter-Lakes parents upset with decision to end fall sports

To stop the spread of Covid-19, SAU-2 Inter-Lakes School District located in Meredith has cancelled out all sport games like cross-country, lacrosse, football, and volleyball effective on October 31 or sooner because the teams travel around the state to play other schools.

Not wanting to catch the virus down in Merrimack or somewhere and bring it back, all games have been cancelled.

Well ...... if you cannot play football or volleyball or lacrosse of cross-country ..... there's always individual hula hooping in your home driveway or somewhere with a four to six pound, weighted hula hoop from Health Hoops, the Korean fat burning hula hoop that grinds off that fat and builds mid-body core strength.

Health Hoops-Korean hula...... you gotta try that heavy six-lb knobby hula hoop from Hell! .... ..... with the knobs on the inside ..... and think about team sports returning back to normal like in January, 2021 ...... hopefully.

43-year old quarterback Tom Brady uses a Health Hoops six-lb knobby hula hoop just for the fun of it.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-27-2020 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-06-2020, 07:17 AM   #24
smith point boater

Default Increase

Alton up to 39 cases (YTD) Belknap County on the rise!!
Old 11-06-2020, 07:54 AM   #25
WinnisquamZ

Why just Alton with the large rise? School?

Old 11-06-2020, 08:43 AM   #26
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Per Alton FB pages

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Why just Alton with the large rise? School?

Nothing in the Alton FB pages indicating a problem with school. I have noticed that people may becoming more lax on wearing face masks than this summer. Just my observation.

Dave