Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-23-2023, 09:36 PM   #1
Winilyme

Default Replacement Windows

Hello All. My wife and I have windows on our mind. Our home in CT and cottage in Meredith will require replacement windows soon...especially in CT where we have 13 double hung Anderson windows (wood core, vinyl clad) that have taken on water through lower window seams over many years (I think this is a common experience with that era of Anderson windows). We had the house painted two summers ago and the painter pointed out several areas of significant rot and many other areas with lesser rot of varying degrees. Generally, in the lower sash corners. These north and west facing windows were installed when we built in 1995. We also have 35 casement windows on the south side of our home that have no issues except the cranking mechanisms don't work very well anymore (despite my attempts to clean and lubricate them).

I'm looking at Renewal by Anderson as a turnkey solution I'd prefer - for replacement of the 13 double hungs (I think with composite) and replacement of the casement cranking mechanisms. I'm interested in your experiences and advice - with Anderson windows in general and with the Renewal by Anderson service. I haven't arranged a consultation with them yet.

Thanks.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 07:10 AM   #2
bobkatfly

Default Keep looking

I'm currently renovating a house and had Renewal by A come in to give us a quote. Replace four double hung non-standard size windows. Almost $13,000. Are you kidding me!

Amherst till the big 66 comes (made it!)
Winter Harbor/Mirror Lake till the big guy comes
bobkatfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 07:50 AM   #3
Biggd

Thanked 1,071 Times in 676 Posts

Yes, they are super expensive compared to most other replacement window companies.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 08:13 AM   #4
WinnisquamZ

Granite State Glass has a terrific reputation. Believe they use Harvey windows

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 08:16 AM   #5
bobkatfly

These were the 400 series tilt-in low e and I realize the windows themselves can be over $1000 each depending on options but they are replacement and if sized properly, removal of old and installation of new shouldn't be more than the window itself. Not exactly plug and play but close to it.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2023, 08:20 AM   #6
bobkatfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post

Agree. They replaced some custom irregular shaped fixed pane windows for me about 5 years ago. Very reasonable.

Old 09-24-2023, 08:58 AM   #7
DEJ

Default Sticker shock

Renewal by Anderson quote, 19 double hung windows, $70K.
DEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 09:21 AM   #8
ishoot308

Thanked 4,942 Times in 1,917 Posts
Default Gsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post

I would also recommend Granite State Glass….

Dan
Old 09-24-2023, 09:42 AM   #9
bobkatfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEJ View Post
Renewal by Anderson quote, 19 double hung windows, $70K.
Damn, my first house in the mid 80's was just a little more than that.

Old 09-24-2023, 10:31 AM   #10
Woody38

My wife wanted Renewal by Andersen. We installed other windows from Andersen when renovating. They claim, measuring, installing by their crews and follow up. OK, the guy measuring said he did not know how to measure the windows. Each one was numbered. Andersen subbed the installation. Only the foreman spoke English. I have no problem with that as long as they know how to do the job. When I saw one of them ripping out the interior trim, I asked the foreman if that was necessary. Nope. As for placement of windows, the just brough all in and put them anywhere. So, to make fit bars of some type of plastic was used. A great product as the windows do exactly as stated. Would we do that again. Likely not.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 11:20 AM   #11
John Mercier

Renewal tends to be expensive, and can't get any windows that others can't.
GSG does Andersen and Harvey.

Your casement cranking mechanisms could probably be replaced by you.
They are not that hard, and general fail due to dirt/gunk in the track that the arm rides own that is attached to the sash.

Homeowners tend to use something like WD40 to lubricate when they should be using a spray silicone. The WD40 causes the dirt to bind and gunk up.

The north and west are building humidity... common window condition... and over time they let the wood swell and rot. Andersen windows are warrantied only to a point. They are not lifetime like many on the internet state.

The 100 Series Fibrex composite doesn't do a double hung. You could also replace these yourself... several island owners in the area of done so with just a little consultation with us. But GSG would also do them.

The other option depending on colors/etc are vinyl.

It is important to know if you intend to do actual replacement (insert units) or new construction (the entire old window is removed including the wooden frame)... so that they can be quoted correctly.

Inserts are measured from the interior and the unit is made 1/4 inch smaller in each dimension. We are currently doing the New Hampton School with Paradigm inserts. They come quickly, so we suggested one based on our measurements and then adjustment for the other to keep the fit tight, but not overly tight.

Fiberglass or vinyl are the best options to avoid that 'rot' over time... also less issues with hardware as no wood to swell from humid conditions. The fiberglass manufactures generally have a two year warranty on hardware and twenty year warranty on glass with a ten year warranty on paint (this is for manufacturing defects and chipping/fading - it doesn't cover damage done on site). The better vinyl will have either the same warranty, or in some cases longer warranties for initial buyers (when you transfer your home the warranty for that buyer is back to that 2/10/20).
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 07:22 PM   #12
Winilyme

Default Thank you

Guess I'm going to be doing some shopping around - based on everyone's advice. Unfortunately, GSG doesn't operate in CT and that's our #1 priority versus our Meredith place.

Thanks everyone.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 09:45 PM   #13
John Mercier

The only advice I can give is watch your glass package.

Not all glass packages are Energystar rated... so federal tax deductions may be limited.

Also the new Energystar requirements begin on Oct 23rd.

Not sure of what the requirements for CT are.
I know that around here, it will be difficult to design one that is not a triple pane after that date.
Old 09-25-2023, 09:46 AM   #14
root1

Be aware that 'replacement' windows typically do not include any casing; resulting in future expense/aggravation when all the exterior trim (postulating that it is wood) needs to be replaced/painted.
I strongly suggest that 'new construction' windows be selected. This means a lot more labor up-front ...... but, the finished end product is far superior and longer lasting.
root1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 11:05 AM   #15
John Mercier

Andersen 100 Series, I believe do not have a trim option.
Marvin Essential Series only have a type of brickmold.

Vinyl windows... have several trim options depending on the supplier... but the nailing flange has to go behind the siding whether order with or without the J channel.

The application locally may be to use Kleer Concealed/Square or comparable for a white, and either Boral or Acre for darker colors.

One of our manufacturers now can pre-paint the PVC trim to the darker colors, but I have not looked at the warranty or expansion/contraction issues involved.

I have only seen wood used on camp/cabins... either because they wanted the natural grain to show through... or felt it historically more accurate. Those generally get pre-stained/painted on all sides and endcuts before being applied to the building.
Old 09-25-2023, 03:20 PM   #16
Biggd

Before the pandemic I use to buy brand new excess windows on Craigs list or Marketplace for $35 to $150. I changed most of the windows in my Meridith home this way.
I've only bought quality windows, Anderson, Pella, and a few Harveys, never paid more than $150.
Now the prices on those sites are triple that for a normal size double hung window!
I'm still looking for a few more windows but prices are crazy because new windows are taking a long time to get.
Old 09-25-2023, 06:53 PM   #17
John Mercier

Not any more. Premium vinyl is three to four weeks, luxury vinyl maybe into about eight or nine.

Wood windows are around six weeks, with only Marvin Signature in the sixteen to eighteen week period.

Window deals still abound, but at the shop as buyers leave them on consignment.

It is a bit harder to find high quality windows, as those are actually based on energy efficiency - most windows are no longer Energystar rated, so fewer of those to be found; durability - this is usually based on warranty, and as a second buyer you would be all about even for most window brands; and finally aesthetics - which is very personal and not likely to be found rather than special ordered.
Old 09-26-2023, 07:49 AM   #18
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Original windows manufacturer.

I shopped around for windows. Strict HOA rules govern what the replacement windows should be. GSG was more expensive than Anderson followed by Pella and then Harvey. Contrary to popular belief contractor prices are actually cheaper than Lowes or Home Depot!

The original windows were Weather Shield. They were top-of-the-line in the 70's. Local contractors never heard of them. After a little searching, I found there is a distributor in Manchester. I called the distributor and gave them the info they needed to replace them. Because of the manufacturer's replacement policy, I got a great deal. The new windows were updated with the latest energy features. EnergyStar certification gave me a further discount. Glad I took this route.

You may want to look at Lohan windows. A reputable McMansion builder from I think Tuftonboro installs them in all remodels and new builds.
Old 09-26-2023, 08:21 AM   #19
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
Not any more. Premium vinyl is three to four weeks, luxury vinyl maybe into about eight or nine.

Wood windows are around six weeks, with only Marvin Signature in the sixteen to eighteen week period.

Window deals still abound, but at the shop as buyers leave them on consignment.

It is a bit harder to find high quality windows, as those are actually based on energy efficiency - most windows are no longer Energystar rated, so fewer of those to be found; durability - this is usually based on warranty, and as a second buyer you would be all about even for most window brands; and finally aesthetics - which is very personal and not likely to be found rather than special ordered.
Since I can replace them myself, I can be very patient. And it doesn't bother me that they are from different manufactures. No one can tell the difference from the street.
Old 09-26-2023, 07:43 PM   #20
John Mercier

They will probably fade differently depending on how dark the color.

But my point is that window lead times have come way down.
Old 09-27-2023, 06:54 AM   #21
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
They will probably fade differently depending on how dark the color.

But my point is that window lead times have come way down.
That's why I only buy white windows.
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (09-27-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 07:24 AM   #22
fatlazyless

The ReStore on Tenney Mtn Hgwy in Plymouth, a thrift store, has an 8.5' x 53' van trailer storage box with only windows that must have over 100 various different double hung windows and frames, mostly white and are new unused condition.
Old 09-27-2023, 08:08 AM   #23
loony

I had Harvey windows installed some 12 years ago. I think they are a good quality middle of the road vinyl window that look good from the street. The mullions are between the panes so they're easy to clean. Their customer service is great! I had a pane fog up, unfortunately the installer was out of business so called Harvey directly. Within days I received a replacement, then they walked me through replacing the pane over the phone. They were great to work with.
loony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 11:09 AM   #24
John Mercier

Harvey is known as Premium.
I believe they have more than one line... most vinyl window manufacturers do.

The energy efficiency would depend on the glass package chosen. So that can vary, even in the same line.
The durability/warranty is usually very high compared to industry standards.
And aesthetic appearance can vary greatly based on what your preference is.

Luxury vinyl goes a bit further with greater options and sizes... but isn't necessary for everyone. I only know a few customers that have chosen the multicolor options and such that these provide... but have some customers that have chose them due to the size of clear glass that they wanted.
Old 09-27-2023, 11:21 AM   #25
tummyman

installed 41 Anderson 400 series windows...some casements, some double hung...all forest green color. in 2005 here at the lake. 14 double casements face the afternoon sun. Had an issue with bad fading about 10 years ago and Anderson came out and repainted the green vinyl and did a super job. Did all 41 windows even though only some had faded. Took about a week of work for two people. Unfortunately that are fading again. Sun is a killer although the windows were and still are terrific. Guess we will just have to live with the fading..... As far as the casement operators, I use silicone spray and they work like a charm.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 07:00 PM   #26
John Mercier

They are vinyl paint clad, so you can repaint them.

Because they are all the same green, they should fade about the same rate on that side of the house.

The 400 Series Finelight would be more of an issue, as the grilles-between-the-glass would not be able to be repainted. Also, if the painted green doesn't exactly match, on the casements the color wraps around the sash with the green showing internally... so you can create a shade line. Luckily Andersen colors are well documented in most color match systems.

On the A-Series, the sash isn't wrapped... but SDL grilles on the outside of the glass can fade differently than the Fibrex sash. Both can be repainted when that happens. While the Finelight option still creates that can't paint problem.