Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
eillac@dow

Default Skunk smell

So for the first time...my poor baby got hit by a skunk. He has been cleaned and smells "ok"...but the rest of us still have that lingering odor.

It happened this morning around 6:35...kids were still sleeping and I confined the dog...Hunter..to the mudroom until I could figure out what to do....kids never came in contact with him...but somehow they have the odor. They went to school and my daughter was asked to leave class because of it....my son's class was complaining of the odor but he kept silent and said nothing...

We have showered multiple times, washes our hair with a vinegar, baking soda and dawn mixture, but just want to make sure it is gone. Last thing I want is for a HS senior and sophomore is to back to school tomorrow and encounter the same problem or for their mother....ME...to go to
work smelling like a skunk!

Any reco's?

Thank you....
Allie
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
RLW

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by eillac@dow View Post
So for the first time...my poor baby got hit by a skunk. He has been cleaned and smells "ok"...but the rest of us still have that lingering odor.

It happened this morning around 6:35...kids were still sleeping and I confined the dog...Hunter..to the mudroom until I could figure out what to do....kids never came in contact with him...but somehow they have the odor. They went to school and my daughter was asked to leave class because of it....my son's class was complaining of the odor but he kept silent and said nothing...

We have showered multiple times, washes our hair with a vinegar, baking soda and dawn mixture, but just want to make sure it is gone. Last thing I want is for a HS senior and sophomore is to back to school tomorrow and encounter the same problem or for their mother....ME...to go to

Any reco's?

Thank you....
Allie
If the puppy dog smells OK, I guess it is time to do the same thing to the kids that you did to the puppy dog. It also sounds like the puppy wasn't on a leash. LOL

Hope you tomorrow
Old 03-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #3
eillac@dow

I call him my baby...but he is close to 4. We have an electric fence...he went out and literally 10 seconds later I heard I strange bark...yelp..growl...and he was running back in the house.

I ended up having him professionally groomed, but I did talk to the pediatrician about the "peroxide...baking soda...Dawn" mixture...answer was no...to try the vinegar..soda mixture. I am thinking we smell "good"... But ...there is still a lingering...I think!

Just wondering about other suggestions.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
Jonas Pilot

Just wondering about other suggestions. [/QUOTE]

Time and love.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #5
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

We just went through this....ick. Put dryer sheets in next to your furnace filter to deodorize the house.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
eillac@dow

Time and love.[/QUOTE]

No question about it!

To McDude...good idea. I think I will b putting them all over! Thanks!
Old 03-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #7
RLW

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
We just went through this....ick. Put dryer sheets in next to your furnace filter to deodorize the house.
What if you have baseboard hot water heat????? I guess you could stick them in all the pockets of the kids to help them being with their friends in school. LOL

Last edited by RLW; 03-14-2012 at 06:52 AM.
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
martbri7

If you search for a thread "Tanker got nailed by a skunk" could give you help in your situation. I used that foam spray which worked well but time is key....On a rainy day I can still smell our black and white kitty friend on our dog and that was over a year ago
martbri7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #9
GTO

Default wow,

Quote:
Originally Posted by eillac@dow View Post

Any reco's?

Thank you....
Allie
Been there. When my dog got sprayed, we let him in the back door and right to the bathroom but unfortuneately, he want right by my sons backpack. The next day we got a call form him at school that he needed to come home because he was stinkin up the place. Good thing he has a good sense of humor. We ended up throwing the backpack out, just can't get that smell out of certain things. With the warm weather here, open up all the windows and doors, air out the place
Old 03-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #10
CateP

Default Skunk Smell Secret

Secret solution? Massengil douche powder. Mix it up. Apply. Not kidding. It works.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CateP For This Useful Post:
NickNH (03-14-2012)
Old 03-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #11
SIKSUKR

Oh boy,that's a softball that I'm not going to swing at.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #12
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Oh boy,that's a softball that I'm not going to swing at.
Cate P is correct though....I recommended it in the "Tanker got nailed by a skunk" thread last year. IT WORKS and the person behind the counter at CVS or wherever will know exactly why you are purchasing it.....