Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Golf Driver recommnedation ?

OK you golf junkies out there, need some feedback about some golf club 'woods', I am contemplating to purchase.

These are used Callaway 'Big Bertha' Woods, regripped in excellent condition.
War-Bird 9 (9 Degree), and B.B. 3 & 5 Woods

My concern is with the B.B. WarBird-9.
I know the 9 degree Driver should give me more distance, with a low tragectory, however, I've only been playing golf a few years and still tend to slice my drives to the right, and not always straight !
I do get good distance though.....

Should I consider a 10.5 degree Driver, instead of the WarBird-9,
considering my inexperience? Just concerned the WarBird-9, may cuase me some frustration ?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Bigdog
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default No to a 9 degree

The more upright the face of a club (wood or iron), the harder it is to hit it straight. A 10.5 will be more forgiving. It will also tend to give you more distance, believe it or not. The reason is that unlike these guys we watch on the weekend, that maybe hitting a 7.5 deg driver up to a 9 deg, we do not hit with the power that they do, nor do we generate the launch angle that that they do. With us, the drive from a 9 deg has gravity take over and it actually will hit the ground often times behind a 10.5 deg drive.

My recommendation would be go to a10.5. I have a Taylormade R7 and it added 20-30 yards to my drives over the 9.5 KZG driver I had. Go to Golf and Ski warehouse down in Greenland, just of I95, and hit some newer technology. You will be amazed the difference.

And as far as the uprightness of a club is concerned and the difficulty to hit them accurately, this is why you see players on the senior tour, LPGA, and even the PGA tour going to hybrids rather that long irons. The hybrids have the swing of iron with the look, feel, and distance of a wood. (shorter shaft on hybrids make them easier to hit).

Anyway, enjoy the game.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:29 PM   #3
VtSteve

First off, I don't know how you swing. (in terms of club head speed, etc.)

My club head speed is way down from where it was 5-6 years ago. A combination of not enough play, out of shape, yadda yadda. But I can still hit my 3 wood about 250 or more, so I don't worry much if it's in the fairway. I also tend to get a lot of loft, which increases distance, especially with the newer ball designs. I used to hit my old Taylor Made 9.5 about 290 or so. Now I have a new Callaway, and just can't get it around fast enough. (That alone can cause a slice)

Since you slice, I would suggest that you first concentrate on your stance. You might just be too far from the ball at address.
Practice with your 6 iron, then advance through to the 5-wood, 3-wood.

I'd not waste the money on a driver until your club head speed is analyzed, as well as your address. The best club to use is the one that gets you in the fairway
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:44 PM   #4
bigdog

Default Golf Driver recommnedation ?

Thanks for the comments regarding Driver loft/degree suggestions.
Yes, hard to recommend, w/o knowing how I swing, and other factors...

Have another question, regarding 'Irons', or clubs in general.

What are the pros and cons regarding steel shafts vs. graphite?
Is one bettter than the other, or give a different feel or swing?

Also, what is the difference in flex of club shaft: regular vs stiff ?

As you can see I'm a fairly new golfer, and these terms are making my head spin..... It's not just about taking a club and hitting a little white ball !

Guess that's why the golf pros make millions $$$

Thanks for your feedback.

Bigdog
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:01 AM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Well.....

Steel shafts supposedly give you better feel when hitting shots. You will also feel hard shots into the ground, tree roots, etc. more and on a cold day will feel mi**** shots stinging your hands, almost like hitting a baseball off the end of the bat in cold weather.

Graphite shafts are easier on the hands, wrists, elbows and shoulders.

Regular flex would be the shaft flex (steel or graphite) for the average golfer with an average swing speed. Stiff flex is for those with higher swing speeds, like the pro's or low handicapers.

As we get older, in most cases graphite shafts in a regular flex are the way to go, and if our swing speed slows way down, you can also talk to your club fitter about "senior" flex, which is a shaft that has a whippier flex than regular.

The flex lets the club head square up at impact and give power to the shot better by unflexing according to the swing speed; senior flex will square up nicely with a very slow speed, with regular and stiff doing the same thing, just at higher swing speeds.

Just remember that swinging harder doesn't necessarily mean hitting it longer, and a golfer driving the ball a 175 yards will usually beat the guy that hits it 300 yards into the woods or water. Enjoy your game.

So keep your head down, knees flexed, back straight, proper grip, feet spaced just right, arms straight, and then try to hit the ball...what ball...oh that little white thing...
Old 07-18-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
trfour

Thumbs up Use A Hockey Stick

Video of a former NHL MVP getting a $1 Million dollar hole-in-One.
http://www.yardbarker.com/nhl/articl...2785?GT1=39002

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote