Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
Chickie

Default Flea Product Danger

There is an extremely upsetting and heart-wrenching letter in today’s Laconia Citizen from a woman living in Tilton, who used Sargent’s flea and tick spot treatment on two of her cats. Within 1-1/2 hours the cats were in great distress and became progressively worse. They were crying out loudly, twitching and eventually unable to walk. They both died extremely painful deaths within a short time. She was writing to warn others of what had happened so they could avoid the product. Being an animal lover and having a cat myself, I can only imagine what that poor woman is going through and the heartbreak she is feeling.

I had seen a segment on TV a few months ago about reported problems with certain spot treatment flea remedies. At the time they said there had been deaths of pets believed to have been attributed to them and it was being “looked into”, but I heard nothing further. Incredible to believe that the suspected products were not removed from shelves immediately when the reports of problems with them first surfaced a few months ago? It is my understanding that the products you can obtain from veterinarians have different ingredients than those less expensive ones you can purchase in stores. The brands you can obtain from your vet are apparently safe to use
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
jmen24

I did not read the article so forgive me if this question already has an answer, but did it state that the treatment was for cats? The reason I ask is the stuff I received from my vet says all over it, that under no circumstances are you to use on a cat, for dogs only. I would imagine that the results would be the same. It is a hard thing to lose a pet, especially when it is sudden and unexpected with the additional emotion of seeing. Sad story.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:34 PM   #3
ILoveWinnipesaukee

Unhappy My brother did this

Unfortunately, I understand completely what can happen if the dog application is put on a cat. My brother thought he was doing my father a favor and put flea treatment on my father's siamese cat. The cat started having seizures immedately and we rushed her to the vet, they were able to save her, but required my bother bring in the flea treatment he used. It was for a dog and not for a cat. Luckily the cat was saved, after lots of fluids and medicine to control the seizures and many $$$$ later, we learned the lesson.

It is tough when a little kitty is injured or sick, they cannot tell you why and if they are like my "kids" the parent hurts as bad as the kitties.
ILoveWinnipesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:22 PM   #4
winnipugs

with my veterinary medicine background, and a seminar on frontline, the safest product out there is frontline. the key ingredient in this product is called fipronil. fipronil is a chemical that is used to treat head lice on children in england. to assure you are getting frontline, purchase only through the vet. there are flea and tick products out there that display "frontline" with a sub-language in french, this is the canadian product that is not the same.
winnipugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:07 PM   #5
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipugs View Post
with my veterinary medicine background, and a seminar on frontline, the safest product out there is frontline. the key ingredient in this product is called fipronil. fipronil is a chemical that is used to treat head lice on children in england. to assure you are getting frontline, purchase only through the vet. there are flea and tick products out there that display "frontline" with a sub-language in french, this is the canadian product that is not the same.
My vet's recommend Revolution for my cat ticks, fleas, etc. What are your thoughts on that product?
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2009, 06:09 AM   #6
dpg

My cat and dog treatment also comes from their vets. Chances are very good whatever your vet is selling should be fine if used as directed. Harts is a cheaper, I like to call "Wal-Mart" version of something a vet would carry. Even Harts soaps and things are more drying to your pets skin than better pet store bottles. You do get what you pay for out there.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:48 PM   #7
winnipugs

any product sold by your veterinarian is of good quality. the topical flea products do have specific purposes, advantage work just on fleas, frontline works with fleas and ticks, revolution is fleas, ticks, heart worm , intestinal parasites..., its all a matter of what you as a consumer are looking to protect your pet with. with my pugs, i use frontline, only because i attended a lengthy seminar on the product and know that it is safe for them.

Last edited by winnipugs; 10-06-2009 at 08:53 PM. Reason: missing info
winnipugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:13 AM   #8
Chickie

Default More Warnings Found

In doing a Google search, I find numerous postings concerning adverse reactions to Sargent’s spot flea and tick products used on both cats and dogs. It apparently is not a random case where someone may have used a dog remedy on a cat or vice versa. Not all died but many were in agony and were brought to veterinarians for treatment. Bathing the animal with dish liquid did not help as the product had already been absorbed. Moral of the story is DON’T USE IT.

I have used Frontline on my cat with no problems associated with it. I can understand where the cost could be prohibitive for some, especially those with multiple pets. I guess it is better to have a few fleas than to face the alternative of using Sargent’s. I remember as kids we used to hunt fleas down using a fine-toothed comb and then “squish” them between our thumbnails. It was a blood sport for us and was rather labor-intensive, but it worked.
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:19 AM   #9
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickie View Post
In doing a Google search, I find numerous postings concerning adverse reactions to Sargent’s spot flea and tick products used on both cats and dogs. It apparently is not a random case where someone may have used a dog remedy on a cat or vice versa. Not all died but many were in agony and were brought to veterinarians for treatment. Bathing the animal with dish liquid did not help as the product had already been absorbed. Moral of the story is DON’T USE IT.

I have used Frontline on my cat with no problems associated with it. I can understand where the cost could be prohibitive for some, especially those with multiple pets. I guess it is better to have a few fleas than to face the alternative of using Sargent’s. I remember as kids we used to hunt fleas down using a fine-toothed comb and then “squish” them between our thumbnails. It was a blood sport for us and was rather labor-intensive, but it worked.
Agreed, since posting I did a similar search and read some of the other cases that you talk about. The one thing that I found completely surprising is that 3 different companies manufacture Sargent's flea and tick treatments.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote