Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-05-2004, 08:28 PM   #1
hoytglp

Default Boating -- Who has right of way?

Has anyone out there been as frustrated as I have on the water with boaters who don't know the rules of boating.What does everyone think of the idea of having Marine Patrol stationed at boat ramps and asking ONE simple question--- Who has the right of way on the water? If they can't answer what do you think should be done? Myself I think the lake would be a lot less crowded. In a full day on the lake maybe two boats will actually give way when they should . If people would start to give way when they should maybe it would catch on, and boaters would think ,wow what are they doing letting me by?

Last edited by hoytglp; 07-08-2004 at 08:49 PM.
hoytglp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 10:40 PM   #2
Rinkerfam

This one's a classic.
My family and I were traveling past Sleepers Island heading towards Diamond Island on Sat. There was a Marine Patrol boat on the western shore of Sleepers traveling in the same direction as us. The patrol boat was traveling at no wake speed (prudent for its distance from shore). I slowed my boat to no wake speed since I was within 150' of the patrol boat. Then a small runabout traveling towards West Alto Marina passed between the patrol boat and my boat, while on plane. I yelled at the operator and looked toward the patrol boat for a response. I then headed for the patrol boat and told the Officer (a young man maybe of college age) that he should stop the boat that passed between us. He explained that he was assisting a jet skier, who was having some trouble, in getting to Ames Farm. He then asked the jet ski operator to wait for him while he went to stop the boat that buzzed by us.

My two biggest issues on the lake are the 150' rule and the right of way rules. Shouldn't those who are charged with enforcing them do so without being prodded by a civilian like me?
Rinkerfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 08:22 AM   #3
samcracker

Default I don't get it...

Shouldn't the jet skier that was having some trouble be the first priority? I'm sure the Marine Patrol is often faced with having to prioritize which issue is the most urgent to respond to.
samcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 08:32 AM   #4
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts

Saturday night while we were watching the recovery of the sunken boat, the Marine Patrol that was circling the accident had to yell to numerous people to put their lights on. Then some Bozo got bored and decided to leave. He hit the throttle to what must have been full while only a few feet away from another boat. The MP was not happy, but couldn’t leave the scene. Sometimes I wish I could be deputized to give out tickets, but then that would be a full time job!

Last edited by Rattlesnake Gal; 07-06-2004 at 08:36 AM.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 07:02 PM   #5
Silver Duck

Unhappy

I was leaving Braun Bay last Sunday, and was just at the mouth of the bay when I spotted an MP boat approaching from starboard.

I came off plane and down to headway speed, since he had the right of way. The MP boat passed in front of me and came by on my port side much closer than 150 ft without ever slowing down!

I'll concede that maybe he had good reason to be in a hurry, but his lights weren't on and he wasn't using his siren. Granting that his wake couldn't possibly have endangered me, it still sort'o makes me wonder....

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2004, 07:35 PM   #6
Rinkerfam

Samcracker,
I understand that the Marine Patrol had a responsibility to the jet skier. However, I have seen Marine Patrol Officers stopped with one craft and hail another over for an infraction within close proximity. The Officer I witnessed on Sat. never even looked over at the boat that cut between his patrol boat and mine. That's why I was
Old 07-08-2004, 12:49 AM   #7
gtxrider

Smile

To address the original question "who has the right of way? " I always fiqure the other boat has the right of way since the only throttle I have control of is in my hand. If the other guy is wrong and does not yield and hits my craft that does not make me feel any better even though I am in the right. Last summer I had one of "those boats" almost run my jetski up on Echo Point. Rude, inconsiderate, ignorant people come in all sizes they are not just driving "those boats". Keep an eye peeled for idiots and try to avoid them. Sometimes its easier said than done.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 05:54 AM   #8
WakeUp

Default Row....

The answer the Marine Patrol is looking for concerning Right of Way can be quoted from the Boater's Guide of New Hampshire: "Even though no vessel has the 'right-of-way' over another vessel, there are some rules that every operator should follow when encountering other vessels..." (This quote can be found under the chapter "On The Water With Your Vessel," in the section "Encountering Other Vessels.")
WakeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 07:30 AM   #9
Knomad

Even though the Boating Guide says "Even though no vessel has the “right-of-way” over another vessel . . .", it also refers to the "navigation rules" which everyone should be following.
Granted that you cannot always count of the other driver to know or follow those rules, but that should never be an excuse for those who are aware of them not to follow them.
Knomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 07:56 PM   #10
wheels75

I agree... its too bad something can be done... the boats that don't give u the right away when its yours are so annoying... I dont think the marine patrol would have the time to work the boat ramps... they are too busy following me around... they see my family out on jet skis and waste their time following us, waiting for us to do something wrong... still havent given them a chance to pull us over
wheels75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 10:51 AM   #11
Misty Blue

Default Right of way

Dear hoytglp:

The correct term is not who has the "right of way". It is important to know that the two terms for vessels maneuvering within sight of each other are "STAND ON VESSEL" and GIVE WAY VESSEL". Both vessels have spacific obligations for a safe passage.

The "give way vessel" MUST allow safe passage to the "stand on vessel".

The "stand on vessel" does not have the right of way but is REQUIRED to maintain it's course and speed until the "give way" vessel is "free and clear" according to the collision regulations.

There are three maneuvering situations that you can find yourself in; MEETING, CROSSING AND OVERTAKING.

When MEETING, that is you are heading for each other, bow on. You can see both his red (port) and green (starbord) Navigation lights. Both vessels are "give way". The proper maneuver is to sound one short (one second) blast on your horn and turn to starboard and pass port side to port side if this maneuver is safe to do. (ie. nipple rock is not on his starbord side!)

When CROSSING, that is an other vessel coming from your port or starboard side the vessel seeing the other vessel from his starboard side is the "give way" vessel. Picture this: Your starboard running light is green. Your Port running light is red. If you are cruising along and a vessel is heading twards you from your right side (starboard) he sees your GREEN light, you see his RED light. YOU are the Give way vessel. Think about it. It makes sence. Just like traffic lights. Think about the running light colors and you will be OK.

Now you are the "give way" vessel. You are required to stay clear of the "stand on" vessel. This can be done by slowing down and letting him pass or by sounding one short (one second) blast from your horn and turning (usually to starboard) and passing behind him.

The other vessel is the "stand on vessel" and is REQUIRED to maintain course and speed. This is not an option, it is a rule unless doing so will cause a collision. (ie: the other boater has not taken his Coast Guard Auxiliary boating course and dosen't know to change course to avoid you).

The third situation is OVERTAKING. When overtaking another vessel the vessel overtaking is ALWAYS the "give way" vessel. This includes sailboats, canoes, etc. if they are passing you!

The "give way" vessel should sound one short (one second) blast on his horn, turn to starboard and pass you until he is "free and clear" of you. (ie: he can't pass you on your starboard side, take a left and become the "stand on" vessel.

You as the vessel being overtaken are the "stand on" vessel and are REQUIED to maintain course and speed until the maneuver is completed. This is required by international collision regulations. Now let me throw you a curve ball!

New Hampshire boating law does not state "maintain course and speed" for the overtaken vessel. This is not an exact quote but is says the overtaken vessel must maintain course and a (prudent, or safe or somthing like that) speed. If you are being passed by a vessel within 150 feet of you it can be argued that you (being within 150 of him) should go to head way speed. I would maintain course and speed and leave it up to a judge if there is a problem.

So there you go hoytglp, MEETING, CROSSING and OVERTAKING. Remember the bow lights on your boat. If they can see your green you are "give way" and REQUIRED to stay clear. If they can see your red you are the "stand on" vessel and REQUIRED to maintain course and speed.

If you are interested in a free , nationally approved, boating course for your condo outfit, association, etc. let me know and we can make some plans and have some fun!

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 07:34 PM   #12
hoytglp

Default who has the right of way

The point i was trying to make was not enough people no the rules. Not that i am always right out on the lake but I try to do my best, but if people are getting there boaters certificates they must be getting them at Sears. When you read some of the stories that people are writing about they are true you see these stupid boaters every time you go on the water . They dont have a CLUE.
hoytglp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 08:23 AM   #13
Sschaar

Talking

To many people pilot boats with ego problems.
Yes there are rules of navigation. But it really comes down to the operator insuring the safe operation of his or her boat, the passengers, and to a certain extent the boats around him. Don't wait till the last minute to turn or slow down. Be a leader, not a follower. A good day of boating isn't finished till everybody is safely back at the dock and everybody is off the boat.
It's easy to complain about others, you could spend a lifetime doing it and it won't change anything. There's things in life you can't control no matter what. Set a standard and live by it. Maybe someone will be influnced by what you did and how you responded and then you really achived something.
Sschaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 09:12 AM   #14
Just Sold

Thumbs up

Sschaar --

Excellent - I could not agree more with you!
Old 08-18-2004, 09:31 AM   #15
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

In 2006.I believe,everyone will be required to be certified.I'm wondering what they will do with rentals when this happens.Much of the dangerous and reckless behavior on the lake seems to come from people who have no idea what they are doing.I recognize most of the rental boats and I stay well away.
SAMIAM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 10:25 AM   #16
jrc

From Section 270-D:10

No person born on or after the dates provided in this section shall operate a motorized vessel with any type of power motor in excess of 25 horsepower on the public waters of this state...

Date of Birth Certificate Required
January 1, 1983 January 1, 2002
January 1, 1977 January 1, 2003
January 1, 1973 January 1, 2004
January 1, 1967 January 1, 2005
January 1, 1963 January 1, 2006
January 1, 1957 January 1, 2007
All January 1, 2008

From Section 270-D:14

...shall issue a temporary certificate of safe boating education to a person 16 years of age or older who passes a temporary safe boater examination...

...shall be valid for up to 14 days...

Any dealer or renter of boats...may administer the temporary safety examination and issue a temporary certificate.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 08:07 AM   #17
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Bottom line to me is that being out in a boat is very much like being in the car... Watch out for the other guy, expect that he/she will not be paying attention, and drive/ride defensively.

Of course when it gets really crazy out there, and you seem like you are totally surrounded by idiots, it may be best to sit down, put your head between your knees, and repeat after me "Our Father..."

One thing that has always amazed me is that virtually every boat has the steering on the starboard side of the boat. It has been pointed out that the normal passing of two boats bow to bow would be to pass port to port. Why not be passing starboard to starboard, giving each operator an even better look at the other boat????? Just a thought. Probably goes back to driving a car and having traffic going the other way pass to your left.

Last edited by upthesaukee; 08-21-2004 at 03:39 PM.
upthesaukee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 08:31 AM   #18
fpartri497

Default steering wheel (starboard side)

I have allways wondered why the steering on a boat Is on the starboard side instead of port. must be some old maritime rule or something?

Old 08-21-2004, 08:53 AM   #19
fpartri497

Default starboard steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpartri497
I have allways wondered why the steering on a boat Is on the starboard side instead of port. must be some old maritime rule or something?

wow! just had a flashback! I remember reading awhile back that the reason steering on boats is on the right instead of the left has to do with physics. the force of the clockwise rotation of the prop In relationship to travel direction deems that the steering is from the starboard side. I dont know If thats true or not,any other explanations?

Old 08-21-2004, 02:34 PM   #20
Orion

Default Starboard steering

Quote:

Ancient ships used a steering board ("star'board") which was always on the right side of the ship, forcing the boat to tie up with the dock (port) on the left side to avoid damaging the rudder. Also, with the helmsman on the starboard side, visibility for avoiding boats which have the right of way on that helmsman's starboard side is better.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 04:44 PM   #21
madrasahs

Arrow

Quote:
I have always wondered why the steering on a boat Is on the starboard side instead of port. must be some old maritime rule or something?
On your powerboat, move your helm to the left side, and you'll be dragging your elbow in the water at any speed other than headway.

fpartri497's flashback is correct: propeller torque is counteracted by situating the helmsman's weight to starboard.

Back to the subject: Sschaar has it exactly right.
madrasahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 10:55 PM   #22
Orion

Default Stand-on works when followed

Actually, Misty Blue had it right, but because too few boaters understand it, evasive action is usually necessary.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 07:58 AM   #23
madrasahs

Default The "Overlooked"

Misty Blue is correct -- as far as it goes -- and there is a glaring deficiency.

Probably half of the weekday boats on Winnipesaukee are sail-, oar-, paddle-, or outboard-powered boats -- and aren't equipped with navlights. That they are frequently ROW-victimized highlights the bias that Misty Blue brings to the table.

(That such boats are invisible, too slow, too small, too incapable of damage, and too insignificant. And I know...using nine navlight-less boats on Winnipesaukee).

That Misty Blue's otherwise innovative advice overlooks such boats makes me think that Sschaar has it right(er).

Speaking of "right", I advise that "boats approaching on the RIGHT have the RIGHT of way". (Not very "shipshape", but easy to remember).

Remember when all life-preservers (now called throwables) had the "Rules of the Road" printed on them?

Boaters seemed to be smarter then.
madrasahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 11:03 PM   #24
Rinkerfam

Default Kudos to an aware driver!

I was making my way back to West Alton Marina from Wolfeboro on Sun. afternoon. I was trailing behind a boat pulling a tube. I stayed starboard and aft of this vessel giving him plenty of room to maneuver. As we approached the Southeast side of Treasure Island my concern was not to get within 150' of this boat while watching out for the black top that I knew to be in the area. Unfortunately, with my concentration most focussed on the other boat, I had lost the location of the marker. Much to my surprise, the driver of the other boat was aware of my position and signaled to me that I was about to pass the marker on the wrong side. I just wanted to give this individual credit for being aware of his own boat and towable, as well as other craft around him. It isn't every day that you see boats that have toys -in- tow acting as responsibly as this. As we both slowed to no wake speed near the entrance to Small's cove we exchanged waves. I hope he reads this.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:41 AM   #25
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts

It is very nice to hear about a boater doing something right for a change! Thanks for sharing the story.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote