Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
camp guy

Default DANGEROUS boating hazard

Several hundred yards off shore from the Carry Beach, Winter Harbor, slightly west of the travel lane, today I saw a large log showing only a small portion above the water with the sunken end of the log seemingly stuck in the bottom.

Marine Patrol says they know about this DANGER, but they also say it is not in the navigatable water lane so they won't do anything about it.

I hope no one has a problem. I was in a canoe and couldn't do anything about it.

Also, in the same area, the closer to shore red topped marker is missing.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
Aguamenti (07-16-2012), Aldidonato (06-05-2013), BroadHopper (08-06-2012), Mirror Lake's BB (07-14-2012), tis (07-14-2012)
Old 07-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
camp guy

Default DANGEROUS boating hazard

I want to give credit when credit is due - the Marine Patrol responded to my call and I received a phone call (approx 8:15 PM) from the Marine Patrol Officer in his boat as he was checking out what I had described in my first post.

He said he saw the log, marked the location, and will report it to the Maintenance Division for action by them.

I am impressed by this chain of events. Thank you Marine Patrol.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
HellRaZoR004 (07-14-2012), Jonas Pilot (07-14-2012)
Old 07-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
Jonas Pilot

Well, with the prevailing wind it's not going anywhere.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
tc_mike

We had the same thing happen to us a few years back. There was a huge submerged log floating about 150 feet off our shore line. We used the boat to tow it in so that it would not kill someone. It was so big and heavy that we really could not do anything other than try to tie it off so that it would not float back. We called MP to report and were told that they could not do anything about it since it had been pulled out of the navigation passage. When pressed, they admitted that it was a mistake for us to have pulled it to shore. Anyhow, we called again the next day and told them that we could not keep it tied off and it was going to slip free of the rope soon and would cause a major hazard. 24 hours later an MP boat arrived and towed the log away.
tc_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
RailroadJoe

Like the man who called police that robbers were next door and were told the police car was at least 15 minutes away. He waited one minute and called back and said no hurry, I just shot them With in 30 seconds there were five state police cars 2 local and one ambulance. The police found the robbers alive and asked the man why he said he shot them. He replied I thought you said the nearest car was 15 minutes away.
Sometimes you have to be quick with answers.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RailroadJoe For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (07-15-2012), BroadHopper (08-06-2012), Cal (06-04-2013), NoBozo (08-05-2012), Ride & Dive (07-16-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #6
Scupper

Cool Define Hazard?

If it is within 150' from shore how is this a hazard? You should be at headway speed. It's about Marine Patrol picking up stuff that the property owner doesn't want to deal with since it is in the "water."
Scupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #7
Lakepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scupper View Post
If it is within 150' from shore how is this a hazard? You should be at headway speed. It's about Marine Patrol picking up stuff that the property owner doesn't want to deal with since it is in the "water."
The OP said several hundred feet offshore. Someone else mentioned a hazard closer, but either way things float and they drift. They don't stay near shore.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
ApS

Exclamation In coastal waters, termed a "Deadhead"

Camp Guy—is this the hazard you reported? One end is resting on the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scupper View Post
Last season, this particular hazard (pictured) might have been as close as 150-feet from a marker, but it clearly posed a threat in inclement weather or to any unwary boater.

I don't know where this particular hazard is this season—but I'll be checking!
Attached Images

ApS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
camp guy

Default dangerous boating hazard

Yes, ApS, the very one. I reported this to the Marine Patrol and was told that it was not in the traveled way (!); but, I also told the MP in Wolfeboro Bay and he said he would check it out. Several days later I noticed it was still in place. I haven't looked this year.