Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-31-2004, 11:45 PM   #1
Rinkerfam

Default Help maintaining bimini enclosure

I was wondering what works best to clean/maintain the clear plastic on a bimini enclosure. I want to keep the material supple as well as clean and free of scratches.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:09 AM   #2
DRH

Default Plastic Window Treatment

I don't remember where I originally learned about this treatment for clear plastic windows, but somewhere long ago I read that Pledge furniture polish (in the spray can) contains something that keeps the windows soft and clear. I've been using it for 10 years now to treat our plastic boat windows, and they've always stayed soft and crystal clear.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:31 AM   #3
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts

We were told by a friend not to fold them and do not let the vinyl touch the vinyl. It can fuse together marring it. I picked up some inexpensive sheets at Wal-Mart to roll each one in.
Four Winns instructions were to use a spray bottle with water and a small drop of liquid soap. Then use a clean bucket of water and cloth to rinse, changing this water often.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 09:21 PM   #4
Rinkerfam

Thank you DRH and RG. One question DRH.... have you been treating the same windows for ten years or have there been multiple boats over this time frame. If it has been the same vinyl all along, I'd say that's quite an endorsement for that treatment.
Thanks again.
RF
Old 11-01-2004, 09:46 PM   #5
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkerfam
One question DRH.... have you been treating the same windows for ten years or have there been multiple boats over this time frame.
Rinkerfam,

I treated the clear vinyl windows in our 1995 Sea Ray for 10 years with Pledge, and when we traded the boat earlier this year the windows were still soft and perfectly clear. I used it this year on the new boat's vinyl windows, too.

The Pledge should only be applied after the windows have been carefully washed and dried. I spray and lightly buff dry a couple coats of Pledge on both sides of the windows each spring, and then again in mid-summer. As I mentioned earlier, I can't remember where I first learned of this treatment for clear vinyl windows, but there is something in the liquid wax that protects the windows and seems to make them last.

By the way, RG's advice about not folding the windows or storing them with vinyl-to-vinyl is absolutely correct. When we bought our new Sea Ray this year, it came with a video recommending just what RG suggested ... separating the windows with cloth and rolling them rather than folding for storage.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:54 PM   #6
Rinkerfam

DRH,
Thanks again! I just had the enclosure installed before winterizing our boat. Too many days this past summer that could have been more enjoyable if we had ordered it with the boat last winter I rolled (didn't fold) the pieces for their long winters nap, but didn't place any type of material to prevent the vinyl on vinly that RG warned against. I will definitely pull the enclosure out and apply the pledge (according to your method) and re-roll everything with a protective barier between rolls.
I'll update you in the spring as to how everything survived the winter
RF