Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-02-2004, 07:26 PM   #1
PoloGrnC4

Default Winni Newbee asking Newbee questions...

I'm planning on heading out to Alton bay (and maybe further..) to do a little fishing with a couple of friends and my son over the 10th, 11th, and 12th of September. I have a 17' Ski boat we're planning on taking. Frankly, I've heard some real horror stories about offshore powerboats, 40' Carvers, and such.

I'm a pretty careful guy, should I really be worrying so much? Is there a "quieter" spot (in Winnipesaukee) I should start out in? Does anyone have any recommendations for any nice motels/hotels with overnight docking?

I've been boating for 8 years now, but never in Winni.. Anybody have some newbee advice? Recommendations? Warnings?

Much appreciated!
PoloGrnC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 08:31 PM   #2
JG1222

Default Advice...

You've just opened yourself up to a barrage of "back and forth" bantering about how evil "offshore" boats are, and it's my guess that that will become the main focus of all the responses. Therefore, before all the foolishness starts, let me throw my two cents in to give my opinion on the subject you asked.

I'm an experienced boater on the lake for the past 15 years in a boat about your size (19') - and the "offshore" boats are not as big of a problem as you'd think by reading this forum. (According to some people on here, "offshore" owners run over little old ladys on purpose and eat little children) - However, it's just common sense to be aware of your surroundings - if you see a 38' cigarette boat bearing down on you - move.

Also, buy a Bizer chart when you get to the lake - it's hands-down the best of the charts for navigation.

In my opinion, stay away from Weirs Beach/Meredith and the middle of The Broads. It's just way too busy/rough for a boat of that size. This is solely my opinion - especially if it's on the weekend. It just gets so busy there, you won't enjoy yourself. There are plenty of places to see/go/fish elsewhere on the lake.

Enjoy.
JG1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 08:45 PM   #3
Just Sold

Thumbs up Come and enjoy the lake

Polo...

There are large boats on the lake for sure including some off shore types but after Labor Day things quiet down as compared to the months of July and August but there are also many boats your size on the lake. You should be cautions of the weather as the broads can get rough quickly. Pay attention to clouds and winds and get yourself a map of the lake as from Bizer (see Lake Links then Boating herein). You should have a very safe and enjoyable time on the lake. Horror stories happen far less than the enjoyable days. Explore the lake too and do not be fearfull as it would be a shame for you to miss some of the beautiful sites around the lake.

Review thru the forum using the search function and you should find plenty of threads dealing with fishing. After sun rise you can go just outside the mouth of Alton Bay for some good fishing as many other fishermen do. There are many other locations that you can go fishing as well.

As for places to stay you mentioned you were going to Alton Bay and I would recommend the Bay Side Inn. It is owned and operated by Steve Rogers and his wife. Ask if you can have a room overlooking the lake. And yes they have docking facilities. View their web site - Lake Links; Lodging.
Bay Side Inn
RR 11 Box D
Alton Bay, New Hampshire 03810
Tel.: (603) 875-5005

Enjoy

Last edited by Just Sold; 09-02-2004 at 08:54 PM.
Just Sold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 08:47 PM   #4
CentreHarborEric

Default Alternative Area

I echo JG 1222 on the notion of the the evil offshore boats. Not too bad, and nothing to be too concerned about.
I am also not much of a fisherman, but if you can put the boat in anywhere, or in several different places over the course of the weekend, why not try the Center Harbor/Moultonboro area? You will be able to find some good fishing spots and also be able to range a little further in these areas without encountering the Broads (big open water stretch where chop and wind could be more of a concern for smaller boats than boat traffic). Make sure you have a chart, esp. if you try anything north of Moultonboro Neck, where it is generally more shallow and trickier for navigation.
I am sure you will have a good time, and I hope you enjoy our lake!
CentreHarborEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 10:47 PM   #5
webmaster

Thanked 3,727 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG1222
Also, buy a Bizer chart when you get to the lake - it's hands-down the best of the charts for navigation.
Or...you can order one here and help support this site.

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/bizermap.html
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2004, 06:41 AM   #6
JohnNH

Polo,

The advice about those dreaded big boats vs. wind on the broads sounds like solid information.

I fish the lake a great deal and have done so for many years.

I don't know what type fish your after, but, here is some advice if your after Bass:

If your launching out of Alton, its' certainly worth a few stops on the way:

Fish the right side shore coming out of Alton, take your time and use the Gold Bomber, Senko's and twin tail grubs ( fish should be in depths from 8 to 30 feet). You should plan on fishing around the south end of Sleeper island ( a couple miles North of Alton Bay ).

If the wind is up, stay left and head up the inside of Sleeper Island ( somewhat protected if the wind is out of the Northwest. Try fishing near the castle as well as in and around West Alton Marina ( long channel on your left as you head up the lake).

If the wind is not an issue, you may want to venture over to the Varneys and fish all the shallow & drop areas around all the islands ( be careful - lots of rocks).

The most important thing is to buy a map and read it. It's easy to get turned around on the lake and not know where you are -- if this happens - find a lighted marker - they have numbers on them and this will help you find your way around ( marker numbers are on the map). If you have GPS, mark your start point so you can navigate back.

Note, There is a Bass tournament out of Ames Farm on Sunday the 12th, so you will have plenty of company.

Enjoy the lake, the magnificent scenery and of course the excellent fishing.

By the way, if your in doubt of where you are while boating, just flag down another boat or ask someone on shore - you will find a majority of the people on the lake to be very helpful.

John/NH
JohnNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 09:56 AM   #7
Wolfeboro Matt

Default Cove in Alton

Another place to fish...

Not sure of the name of this cove, but, on the left hand side as you're heading towards the main lake from the tip of Alton Bay, go under the small bridge and you'll find yourself in a nice quiet cove. Be careful, there are some big rocks on the right side as you venture in. I haven't been in there in a couple of years, but last time I was there, late summer, I hooked into a TON of pickerel. Some might argue why fish FOR pickerel, but these were good size and plentiful so if you're not having any luck w/ bass it might be fun. I'd imagine this would be a stronghold for LMB, too, but the pickerel hitting so voraciously, I don’t think my lures had a chance to reach any bass.

Have fun!
Wolfeboro Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 10:52 AM   #8
JohnNH

Wolfeboro Matt,

If this is the place your reporting, I don't know the name either -- we call it the Alton Back Cove.
That was once a good fishing hole ( 1/4 mile south of Smith Point). Someone ??? has killed all the weeds and the place is all but depleted of fish.

Just outside the pipe/culvert/bridge is a decent spot.

John/NH
JohnNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 10:52 AM   #9
Dave R

Launching in Alton Bay is an excellent idea. It's rarely very choppy in the bay itself and if the worst kind of Winnipesaukee wind picks up (a northwest wind) you will have following seas the whole way back to your launch point. Just keep the bow up and speed reasonable and you can surf back without fearing for your life. Wakes are another issue... As stated above, avoid Weirs Beach. The traffic in and out of there around Eagle Island and the west end of Governers Island can creat some horrible wake chop.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 02:47 PM   #10
Cal

Offshores aren't THAT bad I had a 17' bowrider on the lake...my biggest fear was a northwest wind and the broads . Keep an eye on the weather and push comes to shove use your Bizer chart and you can sometime use the islands as protection to get where you're going.
You could try Sandy Point Resort. It's on the west side of Alton Bay , has docks in a protected cove , and their own ramp right there.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:06 AM   #11
madrasahs

Exclamation Assume nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG1222
"...if you see a 38' cigarette boat bearing down on you - move."
Really good advice, there. We had a boating visitor crushed to death by a 38-foot racer. No rescue was attempted -- a too-common collision response by these Big Boaters. (Bajas haven't always "made the Lake safer").

You can always buy a bigger boat than your 17-footer, but 24-feet wasn't enough...once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold
..."Horror stories happen far less than the enjoyable days."...
Just Sold brings "The Happy Face" to the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R
"It's rarely very choppy in the bay itself and if the worst kind of Winnipesaukee wind picks up (a northwest wind)..."
I've never heard of "the worst kind of Winnipesaukee wind" before! Northwesterlies are a sign of good weather -- dry, moderate, steady winds, sunny, and predictable. Northerlies are super-dry, cold, and rare, in the summer.

To me, it's a tie between East and South as "the worst kind" of Winnipesaukee wind: Easterlies are damp, often imbedded with solid rain, can be very windy, and last for days. We once had a solid summer week of windy rain.

It's the muggy Southerlies (from Massachusetts way) that warn you -- watch for thunderstorms in the PM.
madrasahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 10:57 AM   #12
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrasahs
I've never heard of "the worst kind of Winnipesaukee wind" before! Northwesterlies are a sign of good weather -- dry, moderate, steady winds, sunny, and predictable. Northerlies are super-dry, cold, and rare, in the summer.

To me, it's a tie between East and South as "the worst kind" of Winnipesaukee wind: Easterlies are damp, often imbedded with solid rain, can be very windy, and last for days. We once had a solid summer week of windy rain.

It's the muggy Southerlies (from Massachusetts way) that warn you -- watch for thunderstorms in the PM.
I was referring to northwest wind as the worst, solely due to wave size and shape, not impending weather, but I suspect you knew that already... A northwest wind tends to build big, steep faced, and closely spaced waves at the southeast end of the lake. This, I can recall vividly from spending my Summers in Robert's Cove as a kid. "Not much fun" to "downright dangerous" in a 17 foot ski boat.

I rather like south winds due to the muggy air, thunderstorms and smaller waves. Makes for great swimming weather and awesome afternoon light shows. Since, being a dayboater out of Alton Bay, I generally travel south along the south west side of the lake in the afternoons so a southerly breeze has little affect on the comfort and speed of my ride home.

Last edited by Dave R; 09-08-2004 at 11:01 AM.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 11:24 AM   #13
Outlaw

Default Reelin' em in

Quote:
Really good advice, there. We had a boating visitor crushed to death by a 38-foot racer. No rescue was attempted -- a too-common collision response by these Big Boaters. (Bajas haven't always "made the Lake safer").
It wasn't 38 feet and it wasn't a racer. Check your facts on this one, it was August 2002.

Quote:
You can always buy a bigger boat than your 17-footer, but 24-feet wasn't enough...once.

Quote:
The long term forecast is predicting Remnants of Frances Approach, so we'll be getting a bit of wind and rain over the next few days but it looks like the weekend should be decent for fishing.
http://www.thewmurchannel.com/weather/index.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoloGrnC4
I'm planning on heading out to Alton bay (and maybe further..) to do a little fishing with a couple of friends and my son over the 10th, 11th, and 12th of September. I have a 17' Ski boat we're planning on taking. Frankly, I've heard some real horror stories about offshore powerboats, 40' Carvers, and such.
All boats create wakes and if it's a windy day like last Sunday you will certainly want to heed the other posters advice about staying away from the broads and using the islands as protection. As JustSold said, search the forum for advice about fishing - you'll find more than you can imagine. Just Click on the Search selection from the menu at the top of the screen and type in fishing, fishing spots, bass, fishing lures...... you'll get plenty of info on the hot spots and more.

Another thing to keep in mind, if you're not familiar with the lake and are not an avid night time boater, this is when you will get really really turned around out there, and with so many islands and obstacles your best bet is to stay in for the night and talk about how the 'big one' got away and enjoy yourselves.

Good luck, have a great time and make a post after your trip so we all know how you made out.

Last edited by Outlaw; 09-08-2004 at 11:31 AM.
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 04:56 PM   #14
NBR

Newbee,

If I was you I would hire a guide for at least one day, particuarly with kids who get very bored with no action. Winni is a large lake filled with fish but they are not necessarily easy to locate and get to bite. Remember they call it fishing not catching.

If you search on the web you will find guides for Winni and be able to talk to them about what fish you would like to pursue etc. With younger kids I'd opt for white or yellow pearch. Not big but generally more action.

I would bet that if you hire a guide for day one you will get some fish but be shut out on day two and three but still have great memories of the fun your children had!
NBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 06:15 AM   #15
PoloGrnC4

Default Thanks ALL!

Thanks to everyone that commented and gave great advice. We're really looking forward to the trip.
PoloGrnC4 is offline   Reply With Quote