Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-30-2004, 06:35 AM   #1
JohnNH

Default Arrogant Boater

I think we will all agree that yesterday ( Sunday) was a busy day on Winipesaukee. Having said that, I will attempt to explain my point.

I was fishing just ( 200 yards)southeast of Governors Island and about 1/2 mile West of the Witches. My fishing partner and I use a standard practice of dropping a maker buoy ( 6"x6" plastic float with 100Lb. test line attached to a weighted end) ( note we retrieve this buoy before moving on to another location). This device is used to mark a spot we spotted fish on our electronics. We always back off about 50 feet or less and cast in the general direction of the marker.

During the process of fishing that area, I hooked into a decent smallmouth and was successful in getting it to the boat where my partner waited patiently with the net in hand. About this time, a very large Carver ( 40 ++ feet) was on his way from the Silver Sands area heading Northeast and was bearing down on us at an unsafe distance. We politely motioned to the driver to adjust his course. The driver must think he owns the water. He decided to entertain us with an enormous wake that left us scrambling for something to hang on to in an effort to stay in the boat. As he passed us within 50 feet, he honored us with that famous 1 finger salute. We managed to ride out the big wake and stay in the boat.

Is there justice -- AYEP' // after the encounter was over, we began looking for our marker that was originally less than 50 feet from us and much to our surprise or should I say delight, it was gone. My best guess is that the marker was wound up in the Carvers prop(s). I never wish any ill will on anyone, but if the line is in his props == he deserved it.

By the way, we did manage to land the Smallmouth.

John/NH
JohnNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 07:47 AM   #2
itchin for fishin

I will say that the Carver does produce one of the largest wakes of any of the cruisers I see on the lake. It seems as though even trim tabs can't prevent the massive plow effect. I took a nice wake over the bow on Friday from a Carver.
itchin for fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 08:53 AM   #3
JohnNH

I didn't intend to point any blame on the boat type ( Carver ); as is always the case = it was Mickey the Dunce at the helm.

John/NH
JohnNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 10:04 AM   #4
CentreHarborEric

Default Carver

Displacement hull...designed to push water instead of planing, so it will throw and enormous wake, especially if they are going for it. We had the same thing happen in Blackey Cove with a skier getting ready and a 21' Regal about 40 feet from us at maximum wake speed, about 2000 RPMS, right before planing. No recognition from the guy at all.
CentreHarborEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 03:23 PM   #5
NBR

John/NH

So much for the boater safety course(s), so much for common sense and so much for common courtesy. I come to Winni to fish and on occasion to do some boating but preferably never on a weekend between July 4 and Labor Day. My wife and a friend want a ride out to Stonedam I. so they can hike the trail. I told them fine the first nice day after Labor Day.

Too bad you didn't get his number. I have started taking a camera and my cell phone so I can report the idiots. I suspect ther will be an increase in accidents followed by more restrictions and enforcement. Therefore higher taxes and/or fees and less enjoyment by everyone.
NBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links