Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-16-2004, 08:29 AM   #1
lakershaker

Default Any tips for buying a new boat

We are looking at some of the end of season deals on new boats. This is our first new boat purchase, and would appreciate any advice members have. Generally, when I buy a new car I go in armed with dealer cost, etc. Is there a good rule of thumb for what you should pay vs. sticker cost? We are looking at 20 - 23' bow riders from reputable dealers. Thanks!
lakershaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 08:36 AM   #2
Outlaw

Are you looking for NEW or USED or are you considering both?
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 09:12 AM   #3
jrc

check http://www.boattraderonline.com/
You can find new and used prices, but beware that some parts of the US have a much more competitive boat market. But you can get an idea of markup and resale value. Also consider that buying off-lake will save you some money buy make thing less convienent. Some lake marinas won't service boats bought from elsewhere. Pretty much all marinas treat customers better than non- customers.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 10:07 AM   #4
lakershaker

Default At this point have narrowed it down to New

With end of season discounts, am willing to take some depreciation for the warrantee, and knowledge that I am not buying someone else's problems.
lakershaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 01:00 PM   #5
robjnh

Default discount

I bought new last year and also in 2000. In both cases I got around 15% off MSRP and got the trailer thrown in. My advice is find two boats you like and make the choice a financial one. You have many choices in the boat size you are looking at.

Good luck and have fun with the test drives......
robjnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2004, 02:27 PM   #6
zantheman

I think the most important question to ask yourself in buying a boat is exactly where do you plan to use it. If it is Winnipesaukee you will want a bigger boat then you would in say Sunapee, Newfound etc. If you plan to go into the ocean then there are other considerations.

Alex
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
zantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 03:06 PM   #7
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts

Where you are building on an island, look at boats that will act like an SUV and is easy to transport all sorts of items.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 06:47 PM   #8
LakeLackey

Default Boat Buying Bytes

I have bought several boats (mostly new), you do not say if you are on the water or not already or whether you are a first time buyer; new or used here are my two cent worth of bytes:

1. Best advice I ever received was that if you had a size range, tend to go on the bigger size (I was told the biggest boat-buying mistake was going too small, then losing a lot of money by having to sell and up-size).
2. Reputable dealer you mentioned, and that's the most important (both dealer and brand).....good and instant service is huge (cannot afford to have to wait days or weeks for service, and be without the boat, during the very short season).
3. Buying even later in the year (like December year end, believe it or not) can save lots (its worked well for me)....mnfg's and dealers provide big incentives on what's available....some are willing to "trade" with someone else's similar inventory in New England. Having similar models of a couple of brands is a great flexibility option and bargaining tool.
4. Don't be afraid to call the mnfg directly if you have questions left open by the dealer....easy to find on the internet.....dealers are good but sometimes more is needed especially if you are buying a new boat.
5. If you need a slip, working with the dealer (or somewhere) to be able to procure a slip is very important....slips can be hard to come by, and expensive....if you get a slip make as part of the deal, make sure it is not just for one season (then, what are you supposed to do after that).
6. If you need a trailer, then you need a trailer....if not (like, I store mine right at the boatyard where I have a slip) then you can cut $800-$1500 off some prices.
7. If new, watch out when they start the warranty for the boat and for the motor (if you buy in the winter, you want them to hold the warranty cards until you take possession and put it in the water).
8. If possible, go for a test ride. If its used, get someone qualified to check it out first (pay a few bucks if needed).
9. Try to get everything into the "deal" to save money later (covers, rain covers, dual batteries, depth guages, lighted compass, cigarette lighter-type plug, full safety package, extra keys, etc.).

Good luck, sorry this got so long but I found boat-buying stress affected me until I finally made a choice.
LakeLackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 08:41 PM   #9
Kona Bay Girl

I suggest making a private sale if you know what to look for. First, though, I would go to a boat show and find the model and make you think is best suited for you. Then work on finding a boat in the Want Ad or through a private owner. Most of the boats that people are getting rid of and are relatively new will have low hours and low to no damage on them. My uncle knows a ton about the world of cars/morotcycles/boats, and he got a '97 Sea Ray LAST YEAR with less than 300 hours on it. It had been sitting in a boat house for three years.

I know Shep Brown's does an In-Water sale where you can test drive the boats. If any other marinas do that I'd strongly recommend it.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:13 AM   #10
Coastal Laker

Default Do some research before shopping

From the way you framed your question, it sounds like you may have owned a "used" boat previously. You mention you are shopping for your first "new" boat. Regardless, web sites like this one are a good place to start for comprehensive info on seeking a boat (first new, used, or first ever):

http://www.boattest.com/howtobuyfirstboat.aspx

Key things to review when comparing models, aside from what others have already suggested (in no order of preference):
  1. Decide what is important to you and compare those features so you don't become overwhelmed and can better organize information
  2. Storage: where are you going to put all your stuff? This is overlooked all too often (until it is too late)
  3. Quality of build: All fiberglass construction? How much wood built into the boat and where? Compare fit and finish: don't want to be replacing vinyl seats etc. sooner than you'd expect
  4. Engine size/hp - relevant to how you intend to use the boat. Don't go underpowered to save money, you'll regret it later. A test drive will help you here - how easy/quick do you get on plane, how it cruises, etc.
  5. Of course handling - in your test drive, if you take one (strongly recommended) - try various speeds, getting on plane, taking various degrees of turns, stopping quickly (to see if water is likely to come over the transom), the effects of using trim. Try calm water, choppy water, whatever you can reproduce as an environment you are likely to be in
  6. There's plenty other items (but I'm getting tired of typing)
As far as arming yourself with numbers, the recommendation to check out boattraderonline.com was already mentioned. You won't find new boat prices on nada.com. You could compare between dealers: don't just shop around the lake. Get prices from dealers outside the lakes region and perhaps even into MA. Only caution is the service level you could expect here when buying somewhere else.

Personally, I just bought my first "used" boat and will never buy new again. I have more boat than I could afford at the same price new - and it is only one yr old.

Good luck to you. I hope you find the perfect one!
Coastal Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 11:06 AM   #11
Mee-n-Mac

Lightbulb Test drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakershaker
We are looking at some of the end of season deals on new boats. This is our first new boat purchase, and would appreciate any advice members have. Generally, when I buy a new car I go in armed with dealer cost, etc. Is there a good rule of thumb for what you should pay vs. sticker cost? We are looking at 20 - 23' bow riders from reputable dealers. Thanks!
I'll assume you've done your homework wrt what boat you need and what $$ range you wish to spend for it. I would add don't forget the other costs of boating (gas, maintainence, storage, etc) in your $$ calcs. That said the others have all given good advice. I would say bring the family along when you've narrowed down your choices to maybe 2 - 3 boats. That's because they'll help you find out things you missed when you looked (Dad, where's the bathroom ? Dad, where do you store the tube ? Dad, where's the anchor ? etc, etc) Then test drive with the full load aboard to see how the boat handles the chop, how much spray you get and how she planes with the powerplant you'll get. Just my 2 cents.....