Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-11-2004, 07:34 PM   #1
Belmont Resident

Default Pontoon boat in Witches

Did anyone else see the pontoon boat pulling a tube through the witches on Tuesday about 4:00 in the afternoon?
I was going to stop but they were well within the markers heading straight for the rocks. They were coming from the Mountain View side heading towards Timber.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 10:05 PM   #2
Cal

I'm one who will always lend a hand to help a fellow boater....except there
I've seen a number of people in there and really wanted to help but knew I'd be in trouble too.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:02 AM   #3
Belmont Resident

Yes I know what you mean. Also I was wrong about the day, it was Monday afternoon not Tuesday.
I wish I'd gone out Tuesday as it was the nicer day.
Old 08-14-2004, 06:51 PM   #4
Sschaar

Default Pontoon in the witches

Don't know if it is me that your talking about.
I have a Pontoon and I was coming out of the west cove of timber on Monday and Tuesday around 4 oclock. I wasn't pulling the tube, it was standing up on the back of the tune. I was heading back towards Ames. As I was proceeding, the boat traffic was such that I couldn't get into the channel without cutting somebody off. So I kinda stayed out of the channel, but not by much. Some boater heading towards Weirs or in that general direction was waving at me. I assume since I'm from New Jersey and I don't know anybody on the lake he was telling me to get into the channel. After I got back to the dock I looked at my 6th edtion Bizer ( great map by the way ) to check the depth of the area and it was about forty feet. But I guess he was looking after my general welfare. So If it me thanks for looking out for me.
Not even me, a boater from, dare I say it, New Jersey, and if that's not bad enough, a Yankee Fan who hates anything that has to do with the Red Sox ( I knew I should have brought my " The curse Lives Tee Shirt "
would pull a tuber in a channel or for that matter anywhere near anything called the " Witches "
Man that place is scary. I'll bet there's some stories there.
Mosty likely annual ones. That area gives me a chill just looking at it.
One more thing.
I know I'm way off the thread here, but I want to thank you guys for ( the tread, nobody personnaly ) about bring up Timber Island. Went out on the Lake three days, spent time in the cove, three days. Did some snorkling, drank some brews, blended up some Bahama Moma's in the blender, and yes, trespassed, I used the tire swing.
Great cove. It wouldn't have been possible if that new land owner didn't complain on this forum. And if he should happen to read this, Thank You, nice island. The only negative thing I saw being done to your Island in my three visits to your cove, were some jet skiers who tied up to some overhanging tree branches near the swing. Other then that I didn't see anybody walking around, nobody littering, and definetly nobody peeing in the bushes.

Anyway I'm rambling here. You have a nice lake, it would have been nicer if it didn't rain so much. I have to admit looking down and seeing all those rocks is alittle
un-nerving but it was well worth the mileage.
Keep the tips coming.

Steve/NJ
Sschaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 11:34 AM   #5
Cal

Yeah Steve , the Witches are definitely unnerving. I'm from South Jersey myself and this time tomorrow , will be on my way up there (boat in tow).
Old 08-16-2004, 08:59 AM   #6
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Steve,you might want to do a little tubing over at the graveyard in Moultonborough bay ,sometime.That is also a fun place......just don't bring your governor up with you.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 11:05 AM   #7
Sschaar

What's a matter, you got something againest happy Governor's.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:41 AM   #8
madrasahs

Default Garden State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sschaar
I'm from New Jersey
Is it true that New Jersey's State motto is:

"New Jersey...You Gotta Problem wi' Dat?"

Quote:
"...I have a Pontoon [boat]...Went out on the Lake three days, spent time in the cove, three days. Did some snorkling, drank some brews, blended up some Bahama Moma's in the blender, and yes, trespassed...Other than that I didn't see anybody walking around, nobody littering, and definetly nobody peeing in the bushes.
I'd be curious just where the "rented beer" and "Bahama Momas" went (in a pontoon boat). "Using the bushes" gives Mother Nature a chance to naturally recycle nutrients.

Lake Winnipesaukee remains a source of drinking water for many around the lake...and will become even more so in the years to come.

Quote:
You have a nice lake, it would have been nicer if it didn't rain so much.
Lakewater quality improves with the rain, as it "flushes" the swimming/rafting/sandbar areas of the lake -- to a degree.

Quote:
What's a matter, you got something againest happy Governor's.
You don't have a corrupt Governor any more -- he's resigned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
I'm from South Jersey myself and this time tomorrow, will be on my way up there boat in tow.
Is it New Hampshire's benign-by-design law enforcement? Quiet lake residents?

Why tow past all those hundreds of miles of deepwater blue ocean, where you could go as fast as you want -- make as much noise as you want -- and not have anybody give you a second glance?

Yes, we're back to the "sensitive Psyche" and product-identification (like Chapparal SSI).

Last edited by madrasahs; 08-16-2004 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Add question for another NJ'ier.
madrasahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 12:00 PM   #9
Belmont Resident

Default Sschaar

No I doubt it was you. As I mentioned in my second post it was Monday not Tuesday. With all this dreary weather the days just seem to melt together.
At least we had one good day this weekend.
FYI
The boat I mentioned was well within the markers heading towards Timber from the Governors Island side. Who knows they could have been exploring and had the drive up, but why have a tube in tow?
Does the name imply you have a Chaparral SSI?
Old 08-16-2004, 12:46 PM   #10
Sschaar

Just for the record, brand new Pontoon's have potta potti's in them that for a free fill up at Gulf station next to Misty Harbor will suck you dry.
As far as tubing in the ocean, pontoon's aren't real good at that. To rocky side to side.
I grew up in a ocean community. It's nice but it isn't as nice as fresh. It's one of those been there done that things. I suppose if I lived in New Hampishere full time I might be atttracted to the ocean. You have a coastline but it doesn't add up to much. Lots of things to do in saltwater, tubing isn't one them.
Ya know the one thing I really wanted to do when I was up there was trailer up to Squam. I saw the launch area when we took the kids up to Clarks on one of the rainy days but I really wanted to see that lake.
Did I miss something good? I got the general impression that the locals go out of there way to keep people from using the lake. Maybe I'm reading more into that then I should.
And before I forget the answer is "No" I don't have a chaparral, my signon is just short for my name. I have a 2003 Godfrey Marine 22' Sweetwater Toon with a Merc 90 4stroke. Great party barge. Highly recomended. Good family boat.
What's with the the tubing in Graveyard at Moultonborough. Are you trying to get me hurt. I think we did drive up that way on Tuesday. Mid size bay kinda due northeast from Welch. Thu the " hole in the wall" then alittle more northeast. There building a new home just to the north of the cove. As I looked west from that point there are a bunch of rocks.
Do I have the right area?

Steve/NJ
Old 08-16-2004, 03:06 PM   #11
Belmont Resident

If you draw a triangle between the south side of Timber, south side of Governors and the north side of Lockes the Witches are in the middle.
No dissrespect ment but you might want to review that location on your chart and make a note of it and other shallow areas around the lake. Good information especially if your ever out past dusk.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:46 PM   #12
zantheman

Steve may have wished for his "The Curse Lives" shirt to wear up at Winni but I should have bought one of those "Yankee Hater" shirts they were selling at Weirs to wear down here. It's hard to be a Sox fan down here.

Alex
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
zantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 08:52 PM   #13
Sschaar

Hey Belmont. I knew where the "Witches were"
One of the previous posts were noting a different place to tube. Somewhere around Moultonbough Bay.
If you gas up at the dock at Misty Harbor or whatever that Pink Motel is if you head out alittle north, but mostly east you'll run right into the "witches"
On our first day on the lake we decided we wanted to go to dinner on the lake and after consulting bizers I came to the conclusion that the safest way to go to dinner and return around dusk was from Ames to Alton Bay and back rather then go to Weirs or Meredith and have to deal with the Witches. We went to the resturant just to the right of the town docks. Not bad. Had the Filet Migon. Washed it down with two Bass Ale's. The wife had the scallops and the kids the chicken off the kids menu. I had hoped to gas up at that dock right there but It was closed. I was alittle neverous going back, but it was no big deal. My friend in the other boat had his docking lamps on on the way back and the marine patrol had something to say about it, he just told him to turn them off. See it acually pays to take the "Power Squadron" boating course. I did, he didn't.

But yes Belmont I knew were the witches were. You guys probably think nothing of them cause you see them so ofton. But when you have never seen anything like that, it actually runs a shiver down your spine. I could see somebody not paying attention and getting hurt real easy.
This bizer map I bought really came in handy. I think I'm going to frame it and put it on the wall in my office right next to the Lake Hopatcong, NJ map that I have.
Hey Alex, have you ever trailered your boat to lake Wallenpaupak in Pa? Real nice lake near Scranton.
Also when you launch at lake Hopatcong what ramp do you use?
Old 08-16-2004, 08:58 PM   #14
Sschaar

Hey Belmont I just looked at my map and the Witches are where I thought they were. My sense of North and south are alittle off. " The "Witches" are right in the middle if your going from the gas dock to Timber Island.
Again, they leave a lasting impression.
Steve/NJ
Old 08-17-2004, 09:25 AM   #15
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrasahs
Is it New Hampshire's benign-by-design law enforcement? Quiet lake residents?

Why tow past all those hundreds of miles of deepwater blue ocean, where you could go as fast as you want -- make as much noise as you want -- and not have anybody give you a second glance?

No madrasahs , NH laws are not benign. I've boated many other places...all of which were much more lax. NH has to be the worst and most strict I've seen anywhere.

Please don't credit me with governor Mcgreevy...Don't like him...didn't like him...didn't vote for him.

And yes! New Jersey...you got a problem wit dat

And tha deep blue ocean water leaves a gritty salt residue and virtually everything

Last edited by Cal; 08-20-2004 at 08:59 AM.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 05:07 PM   #16
zantheman

Cal:

Ever been to Lake George? We were there just before we went to Winni last week and we counted no less then 4 different law enforcement teams on that lake(two different county sheriffs, state police, and some lake commision) I don't find the NH Marine patrol overbering. Believe me the NJ state police would be around much more on Hopatcong but all the funds are shifted down to the shore.

Steve:

I use Floraine just north of Brady bridge on Hopatcong. Look us up in Byram Bay on the weekends (Green Chris Craft named Bubbles). I do go to lake Wallenpaupack 2 or 3 times a summer. I use the PA fish and game commission ramp by the Dam and anchor down behind an island 3/4 of the way down the lake.

Alex
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Old 08-18-2004, 06:54 PM   #17
madrasahs

Arrow Uh, oh.

Cal,

I awoke suddenly Saturday having dreamt I'd invoked the "Curse of the Great Spirit" on your trip to Winnipesaukee.

I've never before felt the need to invoke the Wrath of The Great Spirit in my many decades here, and must consider it just a dream. (Although Native-Americans put great stock in messages received thusly).

"Running Fox" Madrasahs
madrasahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 07:18 PM   #18
Sschaar

Hey Alex
I use village marine ramp over by River Styx, just around the bend from the Tides.
I'll look for you in Byram Bay. I have 22 foot hunter green and white Sweetwater Pontoon with a merc 90 4stroke on the back. I'm usually way back in the cove by last buoy. Stop by and say hi. if I don't see you first. I'm usually there on weekends.
As far as Wallenpaupack I use the ramp on the south end of the lake. I know it's not free, but for the few dollars it's closer and it's easier to unload and load the tune then the ramp at the dam. I bought my boat at Bakker Marine up by the dam. As a matter of fact because my boat needed some warranty work I stored it at Bakker last winter and when I got it out of hock in mid April I went to the dam ramp and did touch and goes on the trailer while all was quiet.
But with the price of gas this year I've been staying pretty close to home, Hackettstown. Just one trip up to Wallenpaupack and the week at Winni. We stayed at Misty Harbor and left our boats at Ames. It worked out pretty well.
Steve//NJ
Old 08-19-2004, 09:43 PM   #19
Cal

Zantheman,
Never been to Lake George...heard about their 45 mph speed limit and some REAL PITA cops. I , nor any of my friends have ever had a problem on tidal waters in Jersey. I consider Hopatcong too small for my boat(no offense) , since it appears to be about the size of Alton Bay . Haven't been on Wallenpaupack since 1973 , that's not real big either.

madrasahs, By all means be proud of yourself for invoking the "Wrath of the Great Spirit". Major catastraphy was narrowly avoided when I broke a leaf spring on the Cross Bronx Expressway in NYC. Luckily , I happened acrossed some very NICE people at Hammonds Cove Marina , who took me to Spring Tech Corp in the South Bronx (left the boat at the marina)and in a matter of hours I had a new 4 leaf spring made up.
Guess I'll have to send "Paulie" and "Christopher" to see the Great Spirit
Attached Images

Last edited by Cal; 08-19-2004 at 09:45 PM.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 10:59 AM   #20
Sschaar

Hey Cal, just for future reference if you choose to use the Cross Bronx Expressway again, right after you pass the signs for "Throgs Neck Bridge, Long Island get in the left hand lane and stay there until your on top of the George Washington Bridge. I know it's against the law, but it's only 4 miles and the odds of you getting a ticket are almost slim and none. With all the big, heavy trucks going to and from New England on 95 the right two lanes are horrible. When we went up to Winni two weeks ago I purposely went up 287 and picked up 95 more north just so I didn't have to deal with the Cross Bronx while pulling my boat. I deal with that portion of 95 going to and from work everyday. It's no place for a boat on a trailer.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:20 PM   #21
zantheman

I know I wouldn't tow thru the city. I also take 287 (Tappen Zee Br) to 95. The Cross Bronx is scary enough in normal transportation mode.

Steve:

Was in the Byrams cove yesterday(Sunday). Didn't see you, however, with about 200 other boats there I am not surprised.

Alex
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Old 08-23-2004, 02:52 PM   #22
Sschaar

Yep, I was one of the 200 boats.
Lake Winnpauskee runs rings around Lake Hopatcong but I can live with driving 12 miles to the Lake. I was anchored up in the back of the cove near the last bouy
I was just thinking that either on this thread or another, somebody had mentioned that they considered Lake Hopatcong and Lake Wallenpaupak to small for consideration. I look at it just the opposite. Although I love the clarity of the water in Winni and all those islands, when the weather is not perfect, and lately that's been the norm, lake winni can be like a small ocean. The wind gets going , the white caps, get alittle bigger, and with a pontoon it gets to rough. Where as with the small lakes their protected alittle from the wind so it doesn't get quite as nasty, and on a crowded weekend there's still room for everybody. The clarity of the water at Winni is what makes the lake something special , not the size.
Have any of you launched at Squam Lake? I really wanted to get there but the weather killed that idea.

PS: Cal I went back and read your post and I now realize what you meant about the size of the lake and the speed of your boat. But just cause your boat is fast doen't mean you always have to drive fast. Like Alex posted above, on Lake Hopatcong yesterday it was sunny and 80 and there was no less then 200 boats in byram bay all swing on anchors. Big boats, little boats, fast boats, row boats, sailboats, paddle boats. I even saw a Jet boat yesterday. You can always tell when he's around, it smells like koresene.
Slow down alittle and enjoy.///Steve

Last edited by Sschaar; 08-23-2004 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:00 PM   #23
Cal

Zan and Sschaar,
I've gone both ways in the past. 287 and the Tappan Zee are a little hillier and hard towing with my Tahoe and the bride says 95 along the coast is more scenic. This year I have an F350 PSD and hills tend to "go away"...I shoulda went the other way I guess. Oh well , there's always next time