Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-13-2004, 07:00 AM   #1
SamosetDM

Question Things to do

Hi Everyone,

I’m new to boating on Winnipesaukee. There are so many beautiful homes and sights to see on the lake. I’m sure each one has a story to tell. I would like to impress my family and friends with my local knowledge but unfortunately I have none. What are some of the more interesting things to see from the water (besides Britney Spears sunbathing)?
Thanks
SamosetDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 07:21 AM   #2
PROPELLER

Default Houses to see

The one house (if you can call it that) I can think of to see from the water is the new Bahre property, owned by the owner of NH International Speedway, location of 2 annual Nextel Cup Nascar series races. It is at Clay point between the beginning of Alton Bay & Wolfboro bay across from Barndoor Island on the west side.
PROPELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 07:39 AM   #3
Outlaw

The stone castle on SleeperIsland (facing West Alton), just a cool looking place. Plus if it’s a nice sunny day out you'll get to see all the boaters that have dropped anchor and are just hanging out at the West Alton Sand Bar. Take a ride around Governor’s Island to look at all the mega mansions.

If you want something off lake that will really knock their socks off - take them to Castle in the Clouds - the view from there is something they will never forget.
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 08:51 AM   #4
jrc

SamosetDM, are you at Samoset? I am. I'd be glad to show you around. Send me an email.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 11:18 AM   #5
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts

If you are looking for some easily digested history here are a couple good links. Also, take the quiz on the home page. You will definitely learn a lot.
Lake Winnipesaukee Historical Society (One of my favorites)
Greater Laconia / Weirs Beach
Early History of Wolfeboro
Across the way from the Bahre Estate you will find the gunboat that is being restored.
Wolfeboro is very picturesque. It is fun to dock and walk for an ice cream at Bailey’s Bubble or nose around the gift shops. Lunch on the deck at Garwood’s could be pleasant too. Be sure to point out the Mini Mount, which is owned by the Millers of Wolfeboro and is docked right next to the town docks toward Brewster Academy.
Mini Mount Thread
So many places to see on the lake. Will take too long to list them all!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2004, 11:35 AM   #6
Mee-n-Mac

Lightbulb What to see by boat

Since you'll be in the area (to see the castle on Sleepers I) you might as well check out the "animal farm" on the arm (? rattle ?) of Rattlesnake I. You can spot a bear, a doe and 1 very large 'gator (or croc, I'm not sure) sunning itself. You could head up towards Wolfeboro passing the Bahre mansion and thru the Varney Is area, pointing out that some of On Golden Pond was filmed right here/there. From there head towards Moultonborough Bay, past the Barber Pole (you can search the forum for it's lore). Whether you actually go up through the Graveyard to Moultonborough Bay or not, you can try the "Hole in the Wall" passage (if your boat is small enough) and/or go back around Lil Bear I and through the channel and under the Long I bridge (check out the lil lighthouse). From the bridge head back by Birch and Jolly Is and cut btw Mark and Bear Is. Go to Stonedam I and do the Sally's Gut passage. Head back towards home past Spindle Pt (real lighthouse) and Governors I (either under the bridge or around). It's a good cruise (~2 hrs) with some of the more notable sights along the way.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:15 PM   #7
itchin for fishin

Sally's gut and the Hole in the Wall are two area's that I have always brought newcomers through. Maybe because they are some of the early sights I was first introduced to and held that special memory.

Of course at the opposite end you can always show them the Summa Humma on Governors (someone had to get that name in sometime in 2004...LOL)
itchin for fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 07:30 PM   #8
Rob

In addition to what has already been mentioned:

Don't forget the doll house on Becky's Garden. People love that.

While you are up in the Center Harbor area, you can cruise by all the boats rafted up/anchored in Braun Bay.

Next to the Center Harbor town docks, you can show them where the Mt Washington gets pulled out of the water for repairs. (It's to the right of the Mt Washington dock, which is to the right of the town docks, as viewed from the water)

A cruise around Winter Harbor and Wolfeboro Neck is nice, plus it's just across the way from Samoset, so it would be a quick trip.

Rob

Last edited by Rob; 08-17-2004 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Capital
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 08:55 PM   #9
LakeLackey

Default While You Are At Stonedam Is., & Watch Out Some Areas

If you do the Stonedam Island "driveby" mentioned by others, if there are kids aboard, you could pull in to the rope swing there....they love it.
Also, be very careful to look at your maps because some areas, like Sally's Gut mentioned by others, can ruin your boat if you are not carefull.....we always want it to be a fun enjoyable tour. The 2 YMCA camps with international flags on east side of Bear Is. (just up from the Mark Is./Bear Is. cut-through mentioned by others) are found to be interesting by many who visit and take a boat "tour" with us. Enjoy!
LakeLackey is offline   Reply With Quote