Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-30-2004, 11:44 AM   #1
Mee-n-Mac

Post For those looking for a Winni GPS chartplotter ...

Every year the question comes up , "What GPS should I get for the lake ?" And the answer generally seems to be that if you want a mapping GPS then one that takes C-Map cartridges is preferable because you can get Bizer's chart on C-Map. Standard Horizon's CP-150/150C gets the nod as the lowest cost GPS to fit this requirement. Well I just got the BoatUS flyer and there's a pretty good sale going on for the 150/150C. The monochrome 150 is $375 with $75 in rebiates (= $300 final cost). The color 150C is $700 with $200 in rebates (= $500). I looked at the BoatUS website and they show only the 150C but at the same price and rebates. I guess a new 155C is coming and thus the closeout sale. Just thought I'd pass the info along to those who might be interested. Heck, I might even bite on one.

p.s. - Given West Marine bought out BoatUS's retail stores, I wonder if WM is offering the same deal ? Perhaps "Will" can comment.

p.p.s. - on a related cross thread, I agree with DM, and others, that GPS is a good *aid* to navigation, but not to be a replacement for an attentive skipper and watching eyes. NO skippers !
Old 07-30-2004, 05:12 PM   #2
Misty Blue

Default C-map chip

Dear M-n-M

I have a Standard Horizon with C-map. It can hold two chips. I use one for Portsmouth and one for the Lake. Do you know if the Bizer chip is the same as the one that I purchased form Boat US two years ago?

My current C-map is OK but I would be willing to pay for a better "picture" on the screen.

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 07:00 PM   #3
Rob

My Bizer C-Map states that it is the Bizer map when the GPS boots up. I would imagine that if you have the Bizer map, yours should do the same. (I'm using a Standard Horizon GPS chartplotter too, btw)

The map has been updated since you bought yours, but it sounds like you are referring to the resolution on the screen, which is a function of the GPS unit itself.

Rob
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 11:19 PM   #4
Rob

OK, I was up at the lake this weekend, and upon booting up my GPS, there is no info about the C-Map chip being the Bizer map. I don't know why I thought it did that, but my apologies for any confusion due to my earlier post.

I am sure that there is some way to tell from the screen, but I dont know what it is. An easy check would be to compare the info on the GPS plotter to a paper Bizer map.

Rob
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 07:42 AM   #5
Coastal Laker

Exclamation Check this first...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac
Well I just got the BoatUS flyer and there's a pretty good sale going on for the 150/150C. The monochrome 150 is $375 with $75 in rebiates (= $300 final cost). The color 150C is $700 with $200 in rebates (= $500). I looked at the BoatUS website and they show only the 150C but at the same price and rebates. I guess a new 155C is coming and thus the closeout sale. Just thought I'd pass the info along to those who might be interested. Heck, I might even bite on one.
I saved $100 on my GPS (no joke) through gpsdiscount.com which provided me excellent service on more than one occasion. Their prices are the lowest I've ever seen. I'd check them out before buying anywhere else.

http://www.gpsdiscount.com
Coastal Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2004, 11:53 PM   #6
JoeP

Default Is installation difficult?

I'm looking into the Standard Horizon 155C. Is it easy to install? I have a 2-year old Cobalt 263 and was wondering if it is something I can do (no experience, however) or if it is something I should ask my marina to do. Any suggestions?
JoeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 06:25 AM   #7
PaulS

Default Have the marina do it.

If I had sprung for the $$ for a Cobalt, I'd have the marina do it. I wouldn't want to risk messing up a beautiful boat like that.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 08:56 AM   #8
jrc

Default it looks easy

I've been planning a GPS for a few years now but havn't bought yet.

If you buy the internal antenna version then all you need to hook up is the power. That's just two wires. The external antenna adds another cable but that's it for the electrical. The problem I've seen is mechanical. I can't find a place to mount the display. I made a lifesize cardboard cutout of the unit and tried to find a place I could see while driving, and that didn't block other guages or controls. I couldn't find a good place.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 09:18 AM   #9
Charlie T

. I made a lifesize cardboard cutout of the unit and tried to find a place I could see while driving, and that didn't block other guages or controls. I couldn't find a good place.[/QUOTE]

I had the same problem on my Chap. I finally realized that I would have to lose sight of my spedo to mount the GPS. I simply set up the GPS to display "SOG" and have never wanted to look at the inaccurate factory installed spedo again.
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 10:16 AM   #10
Dave R

Quote:
. I had the same problem on my Chap. I finally realized that I would have to lose sight of my spedo to mount the GPS. I simply set up the GPS to display "SOG" and have never wanted to look at the inaccurate factory installed spedo again.

Brilliant! You just solved my issue too. Wish I'd thought of it...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote