Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-26-2004, 06:09 AM   #1
madrasahs

Red face Jet-Ski-free New Hampshire?

My favorite boating magazine's newest issue, on page 16, reports "The Ten Best Places to Avoid Jet-Skis". (Where Jet-Skis are banned).

1) Gulf Islands National Seashore (Florida/Mississippi)
2) Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Michigan
3) San Juan Islands, Washington
4) San Francisco Bay
5) Kachemak Bay, AK
6) Cape Hatteras and Cape Lookout National Seashores, NC
7) Missouri National Recreation River, SD/NB
8) Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area, GA
9) Cape Cod, Massachusetts
10) New Hampshire(Actual quote):
Quote:
10. New Hampshire: PWCs outlawed statewide. You rock, New Hampshire.
(Just wishful thinking, there?)

Unless I'm losing my hearing, they're not so bad nowadays. Actually, Jet-Skis, "Ski-Craft", "PWCs", Jet-Bikes", "Water Scooters", whatever, seem to be slowly getting their pollution/noise/behavior act together, unlike other...um...transport.

See? We have no excuse to be ignorant of the law. But here's "The Rest of the Story":

http://bluewaternetwork.org/campaign_pl_pwc.shtml
madrasahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 10:23 AM   #2
chipj29

Default Jet skis

The press release states that New Hampshire has outlawed jet skis in bodies of water less than 75 acres. Not sure if that is true, although I do know of several smaller lakes where "ski craft" are not allowed.
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 02:07 PM   #3
SPANKY

madrashas, i thought i would post the entire quote from your magazine

10. New Hampshire
Go to any body of water smaller than 75 acres in the state of New Hampshire and you won’t have any
jetskis buzzing by you. That’s because the state has outlawed them. The Granite State offers plenty of
places to enjoy a quiet day on the water.
SPANKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 05:23 PM   #4
Kona Bay Girl

Just two days ago I had my first jet-ski ride. Honestly, one has to be completely brain-dead to screw something like that up. All I had to do was pull a lever to go. It WAS loud, but incredibly fun, considering I stayed in my little harbor.

The 150 foot rule was followed thoroughly.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:33 PM   #5
gtxrider

There are places were a jetski (two seater or standup) are not allowed. The larger machines are classified as boats and fall under the same laws/restrictions as a boat.

I have a jetski and with a 4 cycle engine so there no smoke or oil on the water. This seems to be the wave of the future. It's like rider a motorcycle only I don't have to worry about road rash.

Jet skiers are like boater or motorists some use common sense and others don't. Not all are bad and not all are good.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2004, 01:54 PM   #6
Belmont Resident

Default Kona Bay Girl

Two weeks ago I was coming up Paugus Bay with my son and his friend.
I spotted a jet ski ahead and slowed to pace it at about 500'. I was traveling about 250' off shore heading for the channel.
Without a backward glance the rider made a left turn. It wasn't until SHE saw me out of the corner of her eye that she even had a clue to my being there. This was a lady I'd say thirty something driving solo.
Had I decided to pass, even at a safe distance she would have put herself right in my path or pretty close to it.
I turned to my son and said thats why I hate jetskies.
I understand there are responsable riders out there but I also believe that they are the minority on this lake.
Glad you had fun while reguarding those boating around you.

Oh last Sunday night I witnessed another real smart move.
A guy was pulling a kid in one of those tubes that you sit inside like a tire thats standing up. He pulled into the channel from Weirs bay with the kid still in tow.
I look back and just shake my head. Must have jogged whatever small brain cells were functioning cause they started pulling the kid in while driving down the channel. What type of people put their kids at risk like that? It's not enough he's pulling a kid across the most crowded bay on the lake but to pull them into the channel.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 05:56 PM   #7
xmobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxrider
I have a jetski and with a 4 cycle engine so there no smoke or oil on the water. This seems to be the wave of the future.
Great Purchase
Best PWC ever made.
xmobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 06:23 PM   #8
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxrider
There are places were a jetski (two seater or standup) are not allowed. The larger machines are classified as boats and fall under the same laws/restrictions as a boat.

I have a jetski and with a 4 cycle engine so there no smoke or oil on the water. This seems to be the wave of the future. It's like rider a motorcycle only I don't have to worry about road rash.

Jet skiers are like boater or motorists some use common sense and others don't. Not all are bad and not all are good.
Very good point!
Snowmobiles, are also going with the 4 cycle engine. This will elimenate many problems, year round....... You are right, common sence is key, for everyone!

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote