Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-12-2020, 05:38 AM   #1
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,967 Times in 1,215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Bear View Post
150 feet is one half of the length of a football field. There is a No Wake Buoy positioned 150' away from the Marine Patrol docks in Glendale harbor located so folks can see what this distance looks like.
Thanks for the tip on the no wake buoy—I'll check it out the next time I'm at a public dock in the north.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:18 AM   #2
chasedawg

Default No wake buoy at Pier 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Thanks for the tip on the no wake buoy—I'll check it out the next time I'm at a public dock in the north.

When you travel by your "boatie's" to Pier 19 to get your ice cream there is a NO Wake Buoy off Pier 19 marina marking 150' distance. Check it out.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 02:33 PM   #3
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post
When you travel by your "boatie's" to Pier 19 to get your ice cream there is a NO Wake Buoy off Pier 19 marina marking 150' distance. Check it out.
I was actually there today. Maybe a dumb question, but does the buoy mark 150' to the closest dock/fixed object or land?

Old 07-12-2020, 02:57 PM   #4
chasedawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I was actually there today. Maybe a dumb question, but does the buoy mark 150' to the closest dock/fixed object or land?

Closes dock or public dock where fireboat is tied up.

How was the ice cream?
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:05 PM   #5
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post
Closes dock or public dock where fireboat is tied up.

How was the ice cream?
Would you believe I didn't get any?! It was ROUGH out there this morning, so we just went in for someone to fill up. My morning wasn't sweet-free, however—we hit Wolfeboro and grabbed blueberry/lemon donuts. Gosh-darn were they good. Divine.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2020, 12:08 PM   #6
XCR-700

Default Some observations/thoughts

Some observations based on what I have read in this thread:

• I personally think many boaters are NOT actually aware of the rule and/or some confuse the 150’ distance, as I have often heard it cited as the 50’ rule (likely adding to some of the problems/confusion)

• I think most people struggle with judging 150’ distance, visually its not and easy length to estimate, especially while moving. Though some of the tips like dock length are good/helpful.

• While I have personally suffered some expensive cosmetic damage to my boats from excessive wake and boats passing by too closely, I do also think many land/home owners are often complaining about boats being too close when they are actually the full 150’ out, its just not enough distance in some cases.

• At the same time, if every home owner put a raft out at the legal limit, the lake would become very difficult to boat on as many common routes would become virtual no wake zones.

• While I don’t think most boaters are ignoring the rule, there are likely some that just don’t care, and when you think its a blatant act, call the marine patrol.

• I think the 150’ should be treated as a target rather than a strict number, boaters need to focus on overall safety first (which absolutely includes distances from others, and objects and land) but if they are expending too much of their time at the helm calculating specific distance, other safety concerns will suffer and we need to strike a balance with many competing concerns. This one is a tough balance, its like the 1 car length for every ten miles per hour of road speed/safe following distance. Its clearly a good best practice that would reduce accidents and save lives and unfortunately at the very same time it will distract drivers and tax some of them to their limits making their overall operation less safe. Sorry, some people cannot juggle and ride the unicycle at the same time as playing the star spangled banner on the kazoo,,, Its not a perfect world.

• While a novel idea, every homeowner putting out 150’ markers would quickly become problematic, I can see all the cases where someone missed on and then got the line tangled in the prop and causing damage and maybe disabled boats.

• Based on the concept above, it might be interesting to see if the GPS folks can add a 150’ distance warning on their maps in a red outline or a dotted line or something like that to let boaters know where they are, but this could also become a distraction as discussed above. Tough balance to strike.

• And finally, if everyone paid attention to safety first, were reasonably respectful, and did not fly into a rage when someone makes a mistake that no one was harmed, then we might all have a better experience at the lake.

Just a thought,,,
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (07-20-2020), jbolty (07-13-2020), Top-Water (07-20-2020), umbrellapoint (07-14-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 12:59 PM   #7
Hillcountry

Good thoughts but they will never happen. There will always be a huge percentage of “captain idiots” on any lake compared to polite law abiding ones...just today’s human nature and the rising tide of self-importance in people.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 04:47 PM   #8
ACME on the Broads

Default XCR-700 Good Thoughts!

Very good points, thank you!

Here's another............where the heck is Marine Patrol? Longtime residents and boaters (over 35 years) and simply can't remember ever seeing so few Marine Patrol vessels/officers visible?

150' rule, a joke; there are a majority of boaters who don't understand the rule and can't comprehend safety! So many first time or novice boaters. With Covid, new adventures seem to be the norm.........let's go to Winni and rent a boat.

As for boat traffic....this weekend the lake appeared as it did in the early 2000s; that is, big flashy boats everywhere, the poker run on Sat morning had over 70 performance boats racing to CH, (beautiful to see). Speed limit? What speed limit? So many Waverunners in formations with 10-14 in a group, and boat rafting the likes of which seemed like the largest floating marina ever.

Oh well, hope everyone stays safe, enjoys and respects our beautiful lake.

Best to all!
ACME on the Broads is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ACME on the Broads For This Useful Post:
capt wolfe (08-03-2020), tis (07-20-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 05:59 PM   #9
tis

Thanked 1,388 Times in 962 Posts

We wonder where MP is too. In the old days they used to talk about cowboys on Lake Winni. Well guess what, it was nothing compared to what it is today. It's the Wild West out there.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:23 PM   #10
Descant

Thanked 1,530 Times in 989 Posts
Default Sat. am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACME on the Broads View Post
Very good points, thank you!

Here's another............where the heck is Marine Patrol? Longtime residents and boaters (over 35 years) and simply can't remember ever seeing so few Marine Patrol vessels/officers visible?

150' rule, a joke; there are a majority of boaters who don't understand the rule and can't comprehend safety! So many first time or novice boaters. With Covid, new adventures seem to be the norm.........let's go to Winni and rent a boat.

As for boat traffic....this weekend the lake appeared as it did in the early 2000s; that is, big flashy boats everywhere, the poker run on Sat morning had over 70 performance boats racing to CH, (beautiful to see). Speed limit? What speed limit? So many Waverunners in formations with 10-14 in a group, and boat rafting the likes of which seemed like the largest floating marina ever.

Oh well, hope everyone stays safe, enjoys and respects our beautiful lake.

Best to all!
Yeah. Lots of Sat am boat traffic. By my second cuo of coffee, it was quiet again.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 05:47 AM   #11
Lil' Barndoor Guy

The driver of a rented Seadoo out of Backbay in Wolfeboro was doing full speed dounuts around the 150' distance buoy in front of the Wolfeboro town docks.
Boaters at the town docks were waving him off and yelling at him. He flipped the bird and sped off, circled Wolfeboro Bay and then came in full speed to the bridge, only slowing to clear his head on the concrete.
Lil' Barndoor Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:37 AM   #12
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Yeah. Lots of Sat am boat traffic. By my second cuo of coffee, it was quiet again.
Personally I have completely given up on Saturdays during the busy season, its just too busy, too crazy and not fun for me as the one in our boat who must constantly keep an eye out 360 degrees for whats next.

Its not just a tolerance thing, which I will freely admit as I get older its lacking,,, For me its a matter of how much will I enjoy it, and with time not being an unlimited commodity, I chose not to squander it on a day I know I'm not likely to enjoy.

Others clearly love the crowds and for them a busy day at Braun is what they call fun. I hope they actually enjoy it, but they will have to do so without me and my no concert level music boat ;-)

Edit: just thinking, in the almost year since we got this boat, I dont think I have even once turned the radio on,,, I should probably test it before the 1 year mark on the warranty. I am usually just very happy to hear the sounds of motors and water slapping the hull while anchored, I never have the radio on,,, I guess we each have our quirks, and I'm sure I have more than the average person.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (07-21-2020), tis (07-21-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 07:04 PM   #13
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Personally I have completely given up on Saturdays during the busy season, its just too busy, too crazy and not fun for me as the one in our boat who must constantly keep an eye out 360 degrees for whats next.

Its not just a tolerance thing, which I will freely admit as I get older its lacking,,, For me its a matter of how much will I enjoy it, and with time not being an unlimited commodity, I chose not to squander it on a day I know I'm not likely to enjoy.

Others clearly love the crowds and for them a busy day at Braun is what they call fun. I hope they actually enjoy it, but they will have to do so without me and my no concert level music boat ;-)

Edit: just thinking, in the almost year since we got this boat, I dont think I have even once turned the radio on,,, I should probably test it before the 1 year mark on the warranty. I am usually just very happy to hear the sounds of motors and water slapping the hull while anchored, I never have the radio on,,, I guess we each have our quirks, and I'm sure I have more than the average person.
Agreed. I could care less about having a radio on the boat. However, if I do have a radio on my boat, (which I do), I do want it to work! I just don't care if it's on or not...!!
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cal Coon For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (07-28-2020)