Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2023, 03:32 PM   #1
MRJS

Default Black Cat Island Reserve

Does anybody have a description or links to an article about the Black Cat Island Preserve?

Thanks amigos and amigas!
Attached Images

MRJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 09:28 AM   #2
CrownRay

Yea, I know this an older thread! Haven't been here in a while!

I can shed a little bit of light on this. My Parent's names are on that plaque!

Apparently, the names on that list got together to buy up some land that was for sale on the island. Not sure if it was true or not, but someone wanted to buy it and develop it - so these owners stepped up to prevent that from happening.

Our family sold our place on the island in 2021. We were there for 20 years.

I miss it dearly! My 7 year old daughter actually burst out in full tears the last time we went up there for day trip.

Thankfully, my Brother in Law has a cute little cabin in Alton. Not on the water, but at least my connection to the lake isn't completely dead!
Old 12-22-2023, 10:20 AM   #3
MRJS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownRay View Post
Yea, I know this an older thread! Haven't been here in a while!

I can shed a little bit of light on this. My Parent's names are on that plaque!

Apparently, the names on that list got together to buy up some land that was for sale on the island. Not sure if it was true or not, but someone wanted to buy it and develop it - so these owners stepped up to prevent that from happening.

Our family sold our place on the island in 2021. We were there for 20 years.

I miss it dearly! My 7 year old daughter actually burst out in full tears the last time we went up there for day trip.

Thankfully, my Brother in Law has a cute little cabin in Alton. Not on the water, but at least my connection to the lake isn't completely dead!
Thank you for the response! It's great when people pitch in to preserve land.

I love this forum. It can be sleepy for a long time and then come alive all of a sudden!

I love the properties around Black Cat. We have what's called the Black Cat Challenge. Coming from the north it's fairly easy to kayak counter-clockwise around the island. On the Center Harbor side of the island it's rough as can be, but heading downwind and down waves is pretty comfortable. Now trying to navigate clockwise - in a heavy wind - that's a challenge! I tried it on a very windy day after spending energy trying to help a catamaran flip back up. I failed miserably! Each paddle stroke was worth 1" of forward motion. Tried hanging on to a bouncing raft to rest, but that burned through even more energy. My goal is to give it another try on a low wind day with a full energy.

Merry Christmas!
MRJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 01:47 PM   #4
CrownRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJS View Post
Thank you for the response! It's great when people pitch in to preserve land.

I love this forum. It can be sleepy for a long time and then come alive all of a sudden!

I love the properties around Black Cat. We have what's called the Black Cat Challenge. Coming from the north it's fairly easy to kayak counter-clockwise around the island. On the Center Harbor side of the island it's rough as can be, but heading downwind and down waves is pretty comfortable. Now trying to navigate clockwise - in a heavy wind - that's a challenge! I tried it on a very windy day after spending energy trying to help a catamaran flip back up. I failed miserably! Each paddle stroke was worth 1" of forward motion. Tried hanging on to a bouncing raft to rest, but that burned through even more energy. My goal is to give it another try on a low wind day with a full energy.

Merry Christmas!
Oh yes, we have tried foolishly to canoe around the wrong way at least once! That's when it's time to just start up the boat instead! We lived on the leeward side of the island, and were always surprised when we rounded the island and faced that breeze!