Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2023, 07:46 PM   #1
bigdog

Default VPN (Virtual Private Network) ?

Do any members have a VPN (Virtual Private Network) connected to their Internet ?

Interested in using this internet security for home network, cell phones, TV, etc

Would like folks comments and recommendations....

Thanks !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 08:07 AM   #2
TheProfessor

"To see if you're using a proxy/VPN online, go to www.whatismyproxy.com. It will say if you're connected to a proxy or not. PC: Check under your WiFi settings, to see if there is a VPN/proxy showing up. Mac: Check your top status bar."

My Mcafee antivirus software has option for a VPN.
Has to be turned on in the Mcafee software.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 08:40 AM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Quad 9

I use a DNS service to provide privacy and security.
https://www.quad9.net/

This is pretty much all you need on a home or private network. I install Quad 9 on my personal router to protect all my devices. It is free with major industry sponsors. It is also fast!

When on a public network I use AOL's private wifi service.
https://get.aol.com/privatewifi
I have a minimum subscription to AOL to get many benefits. When installed on your desktop/laptop or phone, it will activate when you are on a public network.

The only time I use a VPN is when a contractor requires a VPN connection to their network.

Of course, I have Windows 10/11 Defender firewall and antivirus software. Been having extremely good luck with this setup since Windows 10 was released in 2015.

If anyone on this site is not on the Windows 10/11 OS, I offer to upgrade your Windows 7/8 machine to Windows 10. If the machine is compatible, Windows 11. The upgrade is not available for Windows OS below version 7.
PM me for more info.
Old 02-12-2023, 09:02 AM   #4
Bear Islander

I don't use a VPN on my family computer. However I have been using PIA (Private Internet Access) on my laptop for years. I do everything sensitive or private on my laptop

I have selected an ip in Canada because up there I can get a static port. That is a 5 digit port number that doesn't change.

The VPN is $12 by the month, but quite a bit cheaper with a two year commitment. You can use it on up to 5 devices. I don't have any speed problems with the VPN, however if you do gaming or video streaming that could be an issue.

You can use the VPN just for you emails or a browser, however it is easier to just set it up to turn on with the computer and route all connections through the VPN.

One small downside is when you go to a web they will think you are somewhere you are not. If, for instance, you were to pick an ip in France you will find many webs come up in French.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 09:08 AM   #5
Woodsy

I use IPVanish and like its ease of use. However, some of the more popular streaming apps don't play nicely with it. They don't like a ghosted IP.

Woodsy
Old 02-15-2023, 10:15 AM   #6
LikeLakes

I'm considering using a VPN. While I'm not excited about any more hassle with connections I think I'd feel better about the security.

Having said that, like Broadhopper said, I've had excellent luck so far with Win 10's security features. I also am not on social media. Finally, I don't use public wifi. If I'm at a coffee shop or similar I use my cell phone's hot spot rather than the free wifi.
LikeLakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 10:34 AM   #7
BrownstoneNorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
I use IPVanish and like its ease of use. However, some of the more popular streaming apps don't play nicely with it. They don't like a ghosted IP.

Woodsy
ExpressVPN worked fine to stream some shows I wanted to watch on French and Australian TV sites. However, not only some other sites but also some email servers, including the one of a friend I'm in constant with, rejected it as suspicious. I got tired of having to keep turning it on & off, so eventually dropped it.
BrownstoneNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 12:25 PM   #8
Woodsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNorth View Post
ExpressVPN worked fine to stream some shows I wanted to watch on French and Australian TV sites. However, not only some other sites but also some email servers, including the one of a friend I'm in constant with, rejected it as suspicious. I got tired of having to keep turning it on & off, so eventually dropped it.
IPVAnish has a setting where you can include/exclude different apps. So you can ghost what you want, and not worry about others like Prime Video not working.

Overall I am pretty pleased with IPVanish.

Woodsy
Old 02-15-2023, 12:34 PM   #9
The Real BigGuy

I use a small app - TinyWall - in conjunction with Windows 10/11 Defender. It doesn’t add any additional protection but it eases your control of defender to block & allow sites.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 06:07 AM   #10
shifthappens

I've used a VPN in the past. They're convenient for ensuring privacy, but VPNs can slow down your internet speed. And that's a significant disadvantage for me.
shifthappens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 10:36 AM   #11
TownieRinker27

I use proxies instead of a VPN. They offer speed and reliability and are much better than VPNs from all points of view. You should explore that option since proxies can provide better security benefits without impacting internet speed.
I buy proxies from proxys.io, a trusted seller from where I've been buying for a long time now. If you need good proxies, that's the place to buy them.
TownieRinker27 is offline   Reply With Quote