Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2023, 12:21 PM   #1
TheProfessor

Default The Toyota Scion Story

Have now/previously purchsed used Toyota/Scion.
4 cylinder.
This 4 cylinder engine was used in multiple Toyota and Scion models.

The previous owner never checked the oil. Doesn't know how anyway.
But always took to Toyota dealership for 3,000 mile oil change. Yes, it was 3,000 miles in those days.

I do check the oil.
And noticed that oil was down a quart.
Checked for leaks. None.

Then did an internet search of this model.
Low and behold, there was a TSP (Technical Service Bulletin) on this engine.
Excessive oil burning as Toyota had put in incorrect piston rings in engine. At factory. Toyota knew about this. Toyota never advised customers of this TSP.

AND
IF customer complained about excessive oil burning - Toyota/Scion would put new piston rings in or replace the entire engine. Whichever was less costly to Toyota. This was an engine extended warranty for 10 years. From date of new purchase.

For me though. The 10 years has gone by before I purchased used vehicle.

Now. I just keep adding engine oil. And on my way. The car does start, run, and drive fine currently. The car was oil undercoated - so zero rust.

As a suggestion to all. Do an internet search - see if there are any TSP's on your vehicle. Note that TSP is not a recall. Recalls are usually limited for safety related items.

There is a myth about Toyota products that is now tarnished.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 02:08 PM   #2
1helpfulhandyman

Default Scion

I had a 2007 honda that had bad tire cupping after 15 thousand miles. So bad I had to buy new tires. Honda said there was a service bulletin about the wrong upper control arms installed. So I ordered new control arms. When they came in I asked for an appointment to have them replaced. They told me some ridiculous cost to do the work. I reminded them about the service bulletin and they said its not a warrantee. I told them to keep the control arms (I hadnt paid for them). Suddenly they were ok we will do it for free( they billed Honda for the service). Crooks ? I bet they would have charged me and billed Honda too !
Now your oil problem. Do you use synthetic oil ? My Honda Van used oil. I was told by the service manager that I cant use synthetic as the engine wasnt designed for it. The engine as it wears also builds up sludge, carbon or whatever. As the metal wears off the sludge acts to keep the oil from burning. Could this be part of the problem ? Good luck !
1helpfulhandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1helpfulhandyman For This Useful Post:
MBNeckguy (01-28-2023)
Old 01-27-2023, 05:12 PM   #3
fatlazyless

I had a 2013 Scion xB, silver, 5-speed manual, with a trailer hitch that I purchased new in May 2014 for $14,250 and it made it to 221,000-miles in April 2021 despite having to add about one quart oil with every gasoline fill-up. I used Walmart Super Tech oil because it was low price, about $2.55/qt and got mucho experience adding oil to engine except one time when I forgot to replace the oil screw cap back into its oil fill hole which made a huge yucky mess under the hood with about one quart oil blown all over in about four days use. ....... yuh!

Hey Professor, what year and model Scion for you?

Supposedly, the Scion brand was cancelled by Toyota due to low sales, because customers wanted a car that said Toyota and not one named Scion. Meanwhile the Lexus brand is a strong seller for a luxury brand only it does not come with a manual transmission like the Scion.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 02:02 PM   #4
joec

What you said was mostly true but I have a few corrections. The engine you refer to was one of Toyota 2.4 litre engines that was used in some Toyota Camry, Rav4 , Corolla and Matrix also Scion TC and XB. We had two Scion TCs in our family and I owned one of them I bought new. The term of notification is TSB for Technical Service Bulleton.

We were both notified of the oil burning problem by mail. Me being the original owner and my family member being the second owner. This was done after a class action law suit from owners regarding this problem.

The TSB was to warranty the engine up to 10 years or 120K miles based on a check of the oil burning problem. Toyota/Scion check the oil level and seal the dipstick and have you drive 1200 miles and come back in. If the car burned more than a quart of oil, you got a free rebuilt bottom end of the engine.

Both our cars burned oil and I did my own check and our cars used a quart in about 2000 miles so we didn't qualify for the rebuild.. I started using high mileage oil and that did slow the oil use. If you kept oil in the engine, they would run a long time.

I sold off my Scion in December because of rust. The body was fine, all the suspension, lines were gone. Everything was original except brakes, tires, gas cap and a battery that lasted 14 years. I figured between the rust and having to replace all the stuff that lasted 14 years and over 125K miles, I would be buying a new car piece by piece.

Scion was created by Toyota to bring in a younger crowd but a lot of the buyers were actually much older than their target. Scion did well for the first couple years but were later far out classed by Civic SI, Subaru WRX, VW GTI, etc and Toyota gave up on Scion about 12 years ago.
joec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 03:51 PM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Alternatives?

Doesn't anybody use STP anymore?

My college roommate had an old Oldsmobile wit 500-600K (once the clock rolls over, it's hard to remember) and he'd ask for used oil. Free. And add a few quarts whenever he got gas. In those days the crankcase held 8 quarts or so, giving a little more slack if you were down a quart or two.

For those who don't remember, oil was $0.35/qt at the gas station and less at a discount store (Bradlee's). Walmart had not been invented yet on a national basis.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2023, 08:27 AM   #6
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Doesn't anybody use STP anymore?

My college roommate had an old Oldsmobile wit 500-600K (once the clock rolls over, it's hard to remember) and he'd ask for used oil. Free. And add a few quarts whenever he got gas. In those days the crankcase held 8 quarts or so, giving a little more slack if you were down a quart or two.

For those who don't remember, oil was $0.35/qt at the gas station and less at a discount store (Bradlee's). Walmart had not been invented yet on a national basis.
Oil has gotten thinner not thicker! Many of the new cars use 0w20 which pours like water. If you're using STP you have a real problem.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 09:24 AM   #7
fatlazyless

Question ...... hey, Professor?

Is interesting that what finally killed my 221,000-mile, 2013 Scion xB with the oil consumption problem, and the Takata exploding air bags ..... www.toyota.com/recall/takata ..... was an Allstate-$1935 check-in-the-mail to pay for two right side doors damage from a hit & run collision with some old guy in Plymouth NH in February 2020. I just could not see spending the $1935 on fixing this car, and it was able to get a NH inspection sticker in September at Valvoline Instant Oil Change-Laconia with just ten dollars of bondo and silver spray paint to fill in the four small holes in the doors from the collision. Another new problem; now, the doors were no longer tight and rain would drip inside.

Hey Professor ...... let me take a guess on your Scion buy ...... you got a 2010 or 2011 Scion xB with an automatic transmission ......... correctimondo? ....... and, for what price and how many miles on it? Maybe $3000 and 125,000-miles?

Who knows ....... maybe you you actually bought my old 2013 silver Scion xB ....... because used Scions never get junked ..... they just get fixed up and resold ..... again and again ...... no matter what damage or miles!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 11:19 AM   #8
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Oil has gotten thinner not thicker! Many of the new cars use 0w20 which pours like water. If you're using STP you have a real problem.
Exactly. Engines are so much bettter now, nobody talks about ring jobs anymore.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 11:33 AM   #9
John Mercier

If Toyota had used the correct rings initially, no one would be discussing a ring job.
John Mercier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 01:15 PM   #10
TheTimeTraveler

Scions were sold up thru 2016 Model year (seven years ago). If you go on eBay you will see various models up until that final year.
TheTimeTraveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 04:09 PM   #11
bigdog

Default Oil & Additives

Nothing to do with Scions' but oil being used.

Back in the days I was in the military, we use to add 'Marvel Mystery Oil' to all gasoline engine vehicles at oil changes. The Govt use to buy MMO in 55 gal drums.

Totally not sure what's in this stuff, but been adding to oil and gas for year.
Engines seem to run smoother and quiet, and so far no problems.
I also add a little to my 5 gal gas container I use, for filling up snow-blower, lawnmower, chain saws, etc

People seem to swear by this product.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 04:16 PM   #12
ApS

Cool STP and MMO...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Doesn't anybody use STP anymore? My college roommate had an old Oldsmobile with 500-600K (once the clock rolls over, it's hard to remember) and he'd ask for used oil. Free. And add a few quarts whenever he got gas. In those days the crankcase held 8 quarts or so, giving a little more slack if you were down a quart or two. For those who don't remember, oil was $0.35/qt at the gas station and less at a discount store (Bradlee's). Walmart had not been invented yet on a national basis.
Back in the 1980s, STP was riding the oil-benefits wave. Casite "Motor Honey" which, except for its color, resembled STP, and was a minor competitor. (Maybe it wasn't purple)?

I used STP for rebuilding engines against "the latest advice" not to.

In the 1960s Valvoline was reducing oil viscosity recommendations, against the intuitive feeling that was bad advice!

Check out the parking spaces at Black's Gift Shop in Wolfeboro from the 1950s and 1960s post cards. Accumulated oil drips in those days made the spaces the equivalent of California's La Brea tar pits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Nothing to do with Scions' but oil being used.

Back in the days I was in the military, we use to add 'Marvel Mystery Oil' to all gasoline engine vehicles at oil changes. The Govt use to buy MMO in 55 gal drums. Totally not sure what's in this stuff, but been adding to oil and gas for years.
Engines seem to run smoother and quiet, and so far no problems.
I also add a little to my 5 gal gas container I use, for filling up snow-blower, lawnmower, chain saws, etc. People seem to swear by this product.
MMO is ATF (automatic transmission fluid), with a nice minty odor added. I use it a lot.
MMO, with its relatively thin viscosity, can be sprayed from a hand sprayer.

Its primary benefit is to act as a detergent, so as to hold contaminants in suspension until the engine oil is changed (out).
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote