Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2022, 09:33 PM   #1
fatlazyless

Default 161-mph, Route 93-north, Ashland, NH; orange Corvette

161-mph is extremely fast and is maybe the record HIGH speed arrest on Route 93 in New Hampshire?

From the NH State Police twitter feed .... https://twitter.com/NH_StatePolice/s...94639890878464 ..... Sunday, July 31, 2022, at about 11:15-am, clocked going 161-mph on Route 93-north in Ashland NH.

Caught by the Woodstock Police who clocked it at 130-mph and stopped it in traffic off Exit 32 ... not too many bright orange Corvettes up here ..... too bad for him it wasn't a charcoal camouflage gray Corvette.

Something tells me it is unlikely he has a history of safe driving ...... and .... 161-mph is like the top speed for this orange Corvette

'Dodge Charger Hellcat Outruns Two Arkansas Troopers @ 150+ MPH' .... www.youtube.com/watch?v=03v-_OfJDks ..... March 6, 2020, somewhere in Arkansas .... 9:08-time length ..... and, check out how straight is this Arkansas highway compared to NH-Route 93 .... and, watch the police car, driver speed in the lower left hand corner .... up to GPS 150 MPH .... "Be adbvised, he was in and out of traffic, reckless, on the shoulder ..... just be advised."

Thursday, September 22, 2022 ...... summoned to appear at Plymouth Court House, Plymouth NH

Last edited by fatlazyless; 08-01-2022 at 08:45 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 05:58 AM   #2
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Hope he enjoyed the ride while he had it! He won't have a license for a while so it may be time to sell!

https://www.boston25news.com/news/lo...EXOZ64CDB3RNU/
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 11:49 AM   #3
ITD

He should lose his license, he is a dirtbag driving that fast on a public road.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 12:25 PM   #4
XCR-700

Looks to me like he got away with it and got turned loose with nothing more than a court date, well for now anyway.

I would have expected the car impounded, and a big fine to start and a hefty bail,,,

Just goes to show you never know how the legal system will respond.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 09:34 PM   #5
TheTimeTraveler

I believe that the speed of 161 mph would be considered "reckless driving". As such it could end up being not only expensive but very inconvenient for the driver.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2022, 11:38 PM   #6
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
I believe that the speed of 161 mph would be considered "reckless driving". As such it could end up being not only expensive but very inconvenient for the driver.
So far it looks like he got a short time out and released,,,

One might reasonable expect him to be held for something like this until he was in front of a judge.

Guess some people have better luck than others, or maybe better connections,,,
Old 08-02-2022, 09:37 AM   #7
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
So far it looks like he got a short time out and released,,,

One might reasonable expect him to be held for something like this until he was in front of a judge.

Guess some people have better luck than others, or maybe better connections,,,
I suspect if he had been drinking he would have been locked up. He probably will lose his license for a while and get fined.
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (08-02-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 09:40 AM   #8
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
I suspect if he had been drinking he would have been locked up. He probably will lose his license for a while and get fined.
Agreed!

Not sure how this is a lessor offense,,,
Old 08-02-2022, 09:46 AM   #9
ITD

Quote:
Agreed!

Not sure how this is a lessor offense,,,
It's speeding, reckless and dumb, but probably less dangerous to the public than driving drunk. Still, very dangerous, even a corvette can't out run the laws of physics. One poor slob, looks back, sees this moron a half mile back, changes lanes and gets demolished. Stupid thing to do, seems to be more of it now days.
Old 08-02-2022, 11:01 AM   #10
XCR-700

Quote:
It's speeding, reckless and dumb, but probably less dangerous to the public than driving drunk. .
Are you kidding???

At 161 MPH on NH roadways, thats worse than any drunk driver!

At that speed, you could run into unexpected traffic and wipe out multiple cars, where as most drunk drivers have a hard time getting up to normal speed and tend to have lower speed accidents.

I am not in any way trying to downplay the impact of drunk driving, but going 160+ MPH on NH roads is insane. This guy should lose his license automatically and for at least as long as someone convicted of drunk driving.

We have all been conditioned to 80+ MPH on our interstate highways and you may well see someone even doing 100 MPH on occasion for a very short burst, but as a former racer I can tell you with no doubt in my mind that over 125 MPH is a game changer, and again over 150 MPH is a whole different realm. If he had hit a minivan filled with a family, not likely anyone would survive. And no telling just how many cars you could destroy at that speed.

This offense is much worse than any average drunk driver and should have a greater punishment.

There are plenty of places elsewhere you can do what he was doing, but NH highways are not one of them.

Even if he had enough control to pass someone at that speed (and thats questionable) he probably would have scared them so bad, it would not surprise me to see them crash without ever having made contact.

This is a very bad situation and the system needs to make an example of him.
Old 08-02-2022, 11:08 AM   #11
ITD

Quote:
Are you kidding???

At 161 MPH on NH roadways, thats worse than any drunk driver!

At that speed, you could run into unexpected traffic and wipe out multiple cars, where as most drunk drivers have a hard time getting up to normal speed and tend to have lower speed accidents.

I am not in any way trying to downplay the impact of drunk driving, but going 160+ MPH on NH roads is insane. This guy should lose his license automatically and for at least as long as someone convicted of drunk driving.

We have all been conditioned to 80+ MPH on our interstate highways and you may well see someone even doing 100 MPH on occasion for a very short burst, but as a former racer I can tell you with no doubt in my mind that over 125 MPH is a game changer, and again over 150 MPH is a whole different realm. If he had hit a minivan filled with a family, not likely anyone would survive. And no telling just how many cars you could destroy at that speed.

This offense is much worse than any average drunk driver and should have a greater punishment.

There are plenty of places elsewhere you can do what he was doing, but NH highways are not one of them.

Even if he had enough control to pass someone at that speed (and thats questionable) he probably would have scared them so bad, it would not surprise me to see them crash without ever having made contact.

This is a very bad situation and the system needs to make an example of him.
Once again XCR, we disagree. I'm fine with him being charged, fined, whatever, but what he did, while a violation of trust and decency, is bad. Any moron who gets into a vehicle and drives drunk is much worse. Much worse.
ApS (09-07-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 11:41 AM   #12
XCR-700

Quote:
Once again XCR, we disagree. I'm fine with him being charged, fined, whatever, but what he did, while a violation of trust and decency, is bad. Any moron who gets into a vehicle and drives drunk is much worse. Much worse.
We will have to agree to disagree.

What he did is a exceedingly reckless and a blatant disregard for anyone elses safety, and the results of any accident at that speed would horrifying.

I can tell you if faced with the choice of having him on the highway with me or some drunk driver, either would be a bad situation, but I'll take the drunk driver ANY day. Not much chance of surviving a collision with a 160+ MPH vehicle.

If you have ever seen the crashes on the German autobahn, all thats left is a burned out circle where the crash scene occurred. Its nasty and tragic. And thats on roads designed for travel at such speeds, NH roads are NOT designed for such speeds,,,

Again, we are each entitled to our opinions, but mine is pretty solid on this, and I am a passionate performance car enthusiast and former auto racer. So I love these cars, just not driving that fast on public roads shared with families in regular vehicles.

ATB
Old 08-02-2022, 02:33 PM   #13
garysanfran

ITD & XCR...Thought I'd put the two of you together on this...

Imagine driving drunk at 161 mph?
garysanfran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 03:07 PM   #14
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post

I think the drunk would have to be passed out and foot just pressed on the pedal, as most struggle to get up to speed,,,
Old 08-02-2022, 04:14 PM   #15
ITD

Quote:

I think that's how many drunks get caught, maybe not 161, but speeding still.
Old 08-02-2022, 04:46 PM   #16
XCR-700

Quote:
I think that's how many drunks get caught, maybe not 161, but speeding still.
Funny, I was told it was the opposite, that they often get stopped for not keeping up with traffic/or driving slower than the posted speed for no apparent reason. Then thrown some swerving and other erratic maneuvers just to keep it interesting.

But then like most things I'm sure it varies.
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
ApS (09-08-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 05:38 PM   #17
jbolty

Quote:

get home sooner, so less chance of an accident? drunk logic
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 06:20 PM   #18
John Mercier

I think the minimum-to-minimum punishment is on about 30 days loss of license difference. Of course, the difference between 100 mph and 161 mph may mean the minimum is not on the table.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 05:57 AM   #19
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Connecticut

I travel through Connecticut often. Seems like they aren't serious about stopping speeders. I travel 70 mph down 91 and cars are whizzing by at twice the speed! The back roads to Lime Rock is insane! Bimmers, AMGs, and RS etc are blazing! Glad we are giving this guy a lesson. We may live free but safely!
Old 08-03-2022, 12:53 PM   #20
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I travel through Connecticut often. Seems like they aren't serious about stopping speeders. I travel 70 mph down 91 and cars are whizzing by at twice the speed! The back roads to Lime Rock is insane! Bimmers, AMGs, and RS etc are blazing! Glad we are giving this guy a lesson. We may live free but safely!
I see vehicles at 80-90 on 3 every day I commute, but that is a HUGE difference between 161.

I'm with XCR on this one—161mph is in "I don't care if I kill anyone territory," and he should be anilhated by the law.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
ApS (09-08-2022), XCR-700 (08-03-2022)
Old 08-04-2022, 12:40 PM   #21
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Most people that own performance cars know how to operate them.I'll take a 160mph car any time over a drunk driver.
He probably saw some empty highway and just wanted to have a little fun and ran into a speed trap to his bad luck.I really doubt if he was weaving in and out of traffic at that speed.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (05-25-2023)
Old 08-04-2022, 01:06 PM   #22
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Most people that own performance cars know how to operate them.
Not in the real world, only in their mind. Having spent most of my career in the automotive industry and working for the US DOT, I can tell you with utmost confidence most people who buy off the shelf performance cars like Corvettes are NOT trained performance car drivers, they just have big egos and good credit. Now ego and confidence will carry you a long way, but once you break 125 MPH, its a different story and the same for 150 MPH, this is not safe territory for anyone who does not have lots of experience. And even for experienced performance car drivers, NH highways are not suited for such speed!

No 40 MPH accident with a drunk driver will ever compare to the total devastation that you will see when a car doing 160 MPH hits anything, and if its another car I assure you no one will survive! The car parts will be swept up and the body parts that can be recovered will be scraped into small bags. It is a horrifying sight to see. And for what purpose, literally a moments worth of thrill,,, Ok well then take a trip to Bonneville or your local dragstrip, but keep off public roads.

People were up in arms over going more than 50 MPH on Winnipesaukee, thats a Sunday drive by comparison to 161 MPH on RT 93,,,

I'm guessing most that are saying they are not too concerned about doing 161 MPH on RT 93 have never really been in a car that very high speeds and or seen the results of an accident on a public road at such speeds, or if so I am truly bewildered by the acceptance of this.

Go figure,,,
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
Slickcraft (08-04-2022)
Old 08-04-2022, 05:45 PM   #23
fatlazyless

Quote:
Most people that own performance cars know how to operate them.I'll take a 160mph car any time over a drunk driver.
He probably saw some empty highway and just wanted to have a little fun and ran into a speed trap to his bad luck.I really doubt if he was weaving in and out of traffic at that speed.
In a case like this, the judge has some choice with the sentence punishment and will look at the past history record on the defendant.

Like, is this his first offense or his tenth offense, or what ..... exactly?

We here simply do not know, but the defendant, the prosecutor, the defense attorney, the judge, a jury, and the police ..... they all will know about a defendant's past history.
Old 08-04-2022, 09:40 PM   #24
XCR-700

Tragic example; https://www.foxnews.com/us/los-angel...an-fiery-crash
Old 08-05-2022, 07:32 AM   #25
brk-lnt

Quote:
Most people that own performance cars know how to operate them.

IMO, it is the exact opposite. There are endless crash reels on Youtube of bad exits from Cars-n-coffee events, just as one example. High performance Mustang crashes are practically a meme now.
Old 08-05-2022, 08:24 AM   #26
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
IMO, it is the exact opposite. There are endless crash reels on Youtube of bad exits from Cars-n-coffee events, just as one example. High performance Mustang crashes are practically a meme now.
I was particularly shocked by the clip of the Hellcat that tapped the full size pickup and put it on its roof. That truck went up and over in the blink of an eye. Clearly the Hellcat driver had no clue how to control his car. I read some claim that something like 15% of all Hellcats are wrecked on their way home the dealership the day they bought it,,,

Nope not buying the idea the most performance car drivers know how to handle their cars, are safe drivers and are less of a threat than a drunk driver when driving over 150 MPH, AND that anyone is reasonably safe driving on NH highways with anyone else on the road while doing 150+ MPH, that is simply ridiculous. This guy avoided a horrific tragedy by dumb luck alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0T1olfIGGE

Last edited by XCR-700; 08-05-2022 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-08-2022, 02:55 AM   #27
ApS

Exclamation Cars Make Lousy Aircraft...

Quote:
Not in the real world, only in their mind. Having spent most of my career in the automotive industry and working for the US DOT, I can tell you with utmost confidence most people who buy off the shelf performance cars like Corvettes are NOT trained performance car drivers, they just have big egos and good credit. Now ego and confidence will carry you a long way, but once you break 125 MPH, its a different story and the same for 150 MPH, this is not safe territory for anyone who does not have lots of experience. And even for experienced performance car drivers, NH highways are not suited for such speed!
This is true. Even among sophisticated racing boats, these all suffer from the reality of going airborne. Notice how most misadventures occur when approaching another car or boat. Turbulent air affects not only the subject car, but the cars they're passing.

Real racers tune their suspensions for maximum grip to the airstream. So much so, that on race courses involving city streets the heavy manhole covers are welded shut!

It doesn't take much at 130-MPH to flip your car--or a nearby car--when encountering a dip or bump in the road. Our Interstates aren't Autobahns. Cars make lousy aircraft.

I was fortunate to train drivers to introduce--or improve--high speed driving skills. These were conducted on famous North American race courses and organized by the world's largest single-marque automobile club.

You could bring your own car to the race track, but Corvettes, Panoz and Vipers were rare. With the exception of an instructor's Corvette, I don't think I saw a single one!

In the 1980s, we were paid to instruct. In 1990, in an expense-reducing measure, we instructors were given an hour's track time (per day) instead in our own cars. Of course, we had expensive tires with commensurate high speed ratings.

This was much more rewarding, as we could demonstrate our discipline to anyone who had paid for the high speed driving course. (Although most of instructors' "seat time" was instructing as a passenger in the participant's car).

I was fortunate to instruct among with racing's luminaries like Sam Posey and Vic Elford.

Vic drove his Porsche 917 at 246-MPH at LeMans--at night! He has since sadly passed away last March.
XCR-700 (09-08-2022)
Old 09-08-2022, 06:29 AM   #28
TiltonBB

Chevrolet offers discounted high speed driving and handling courses to every purchaser of a new Corvette. The usual tuition is over $3,000 but it is $1,500 for Corvette buyers.

The program is at the Ron Fellows facility in Spring Mountain about 50 miles west of Las Vegas. It is highly regarded and all of the instructors are very experienced race drivers.

https://www.springmountainmotorsports.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (09-08-2022)
Old 09-08-2022, 06:30 AM   #29
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
This is true. Even among sophisticated racing boats, these all suffer from the reality of going airborne. Notice how most misadventures occur when approaching another car or boat. Turbulent air affects not only the subject car, but the cars they're passing.

Real racers tune their suspensions for maximum grip to the airstream. So much so, that on race courses involving city streets the heavy manhole covers are welded shut!

It doesn't take much at 130-MPH to flip your car--or a nearby car--when encountering a dip or bump in the road. Our Interstates aren't Autobahns. Cars make lousy aircraft.

I was fortunate to train drivers to introduce--or improve--high speed driving skills. These were conducted on famous North American race courses and organized by the world's largest single-marque automobile club.

You could bring your own car to the race track, but Corvettes, Panoz and Vipers were rare. With the exception of an instructor's Corvette, I don't think I saw a single one!

In the 1980s, we were paid to instruct. In 1990, in an expense-reducing measure, we instructors were given an hour's track time (per day) instead in our own cars. Of course, we had expensive tires with commensurate high speed ratings.

This was much more rewarding, as we could demonstrate our discipline to anyone who had paid for the high speed driving course. (Although most of instructors' "seat time" was instructing as a passenger in the participant's car).

I was fortunate to instruct among with racing's luminaries like Sam Posey and Vic Elford.

Vic drove his Porsche 917 at 246-MPH at LeMans--at night! He has since sadly passed away last March.
OUTSTANDING post!

Did you compete yourself?

Myself, I'm a former drag racer, very different activity in many way, and at the same time many of the same challenges apply.

As is the case with most drag racers, we are also often our own builders and mechanics, and for me there is a duality to racing that I love the tuning and testing as much as the racing. Building the car, tuning the car and racing the car you eventually become one with the car and can sense how its running and reacting. Its all been a great joy to have participated in.

Sounds like you have some really interesting and fun seat time! Maybe some quiet summer day we can connect and you can share some of your experiences.

Thanks.

Last edited by XCR-700; 09-08-2022 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-08-2022, 07:15 AM   #30
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Amazing Experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Chevrolet offers discounted high speed driving and handling courses to every purchaser of a new Corvette. The usual tuition is over $3,000 but it is $1,500 for Corvette buyers.

The program is at the Ron Fellows facility in Spring Mountain about 50 miles west of Las Vegas. It is highly regarded and all of the instructors are very experienced race drivers.

https://www.springmountainmotorsports.com/
Not to get off topic but I went to the Ron Fellows School at Spring Mountain back in 2017 after I bought a new Z06 / Z7 Corvette. I can't begin to tell you how amazing that experience was and how much I learned about my Corvette and driving at high speeds! All the instructors were amazing and the driving course was second to none!! Highly recommend it to anyone especially if you own a newer Corvette!

Dan
Attached Images

XCR-700 (09-08-2022)
Old 09-09-2022, 07:15 AM   #31
ApS

Arrow No 161-MPH Training Available...

[
Quote:
OUTSTANDING post!

Did you compete yourself?

Myself, I'm a former drag racer, very different activity in many way, and at the same time many of the same challenges apply. As is the case with most drag racers, we are also often our own builders and mechanics, and for me there is a duality to racing that I love the tuning and testing as much as the racing. Building the car, tuning the car and racing the car you eventually become one with the car and can sense how its running and reacting. Its all been a great joy to have participated in. Sounds like you have some really interesting and fun seat time! Maybe some quiet summer day we can connect and you can share some of your experiences.

Thanks.
Yes, two decades in SCCA. I never lost to Linda Corosso--now Lyn St. James. (CART, Indianapolis 500, Daytona 500, Nürburgring 24 Hours, NASCAR board).

At the time, the cadre of the club's instructors were picked from competition. As interest in high-speed instruction grew, instructors from other clubs were recruited. Such interest spread so fast, that events were closed to new participants after being open only 10 days from the announcement.

Perhaps every car manufacturer has comparable opportunities, but it's likely you'll have to travel long distances. Other than Toyota, Ferrari, Audi and BMW, I'm unaware of what clubs have events at the new Tamworth track or at NHMS. Search Google using Boston clubs.

Although you'll not see speeds of 161 on any closed track, these events are good courses to resist being unexpectedly lifted into the air. (BTW: Rain doesn't halt progress at these events).

I left instructing when our club merged with the Porsche club, and the instructors' "private" hour of track time had me constantly looking in my rear view mirrors for approaching Porsches having 500-HP! (Unaccustomed to having someone catching up).

That local track was only 8.1 miles from my residence, so I could hear when the motorcycle group started, and a half-hour remained to finish lunch!
XCR-700 (09-09-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 05:27 AM   #32
ApS

Exclamation Night Chases over 140-MPH...

In attempting to Google the legal progress of this high-speed chase, I found several other NH chases this season involving speeds over 140-MPH. While 150- is "slower" than 161-MPH, these chases were on State roads only minutes from Lake Winnipesaukee.

https://wokq.com/new-hampshire-polic...-in-rochester/

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/06...ng-at-150-mph/

Very likely the same event, but missing dates and driver's names leaves the two reports confusing. Notice the common wording between the two reports:

Quote:
Last night, Sergeant Johnston of #TroopE made contact with the operator of this Corvette after they were observed traveling 150 mph on Route 16 in Rochester. The operator was arrested and charged with Operating After Suspension and Reckless Operation.
Quote:
Not only was the driver travelling at an unreasonably high rate of speed, they were also driving on a suspended license, as the trooper arrested them on charges of both...
Quote:
[CBSBoston] the unidentified driver was arrested and charged with operating after suspension and reckless operation.
Lately, reporting of female miscreants include the word "they" instead of "she". "They" would indicate in normal usage that the Corvette had more than one driver! Where are our American journalists' editors?

In another NH case, the driver was charged with "use of a deadly weapon", but didn't indicate whether or not the car was the deadly weapon. (Which, of course, it is).
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 05:44 AM   #33
thinkxingu

Quote:
In attempting to Google the legal progress of this high-speed chase, I found several other NH chases this season involving speeds over 140-MPH. While 150- is "slower" than 161-MPH, these chases were on State roads only minutes from Lake Winnipesaukee.

Very likely the same event, but missing dates and driver's names leaves the two reports confusing. Notice the common wording between the two reports:

Lately, reporting of female miscreants include the word "they" instead of "she". "They" would indicate in normal usage that the Corvette had more than one driver! Where are our American journalists' editors?

In another NH case, the driver was charged with "use of a deadly weapon", but didn't indicate whether or not the car was the deadly weapon. (Which, of course, it is).
It says the driver was unidentified, which would indicate the lack of gender-specific pronouns?

Old 10-05-2022, 08:28 AM   #34
ITD

Quote:

My high school english teacher is spinning in her grave.
Old 10-06-2022, 05:36 AM   #35
Newbiesaukee

Smile

Quote:
My high school english teacher is spinning in her grave.
I would hope “they” are not, but English is usually capitalized.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
Descant (10-06-2022)
Old 10-06-2022, 08:55 AM   #36
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
I would hope “they” are not, but English is usually capitalized.
Yeah, I never said I was an A student in English.
Old 10-06-2022, 09:06 AM   #37
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Yeah, I never said I was an A student in English.
When I try to be humerous, I tend to fail. And still I try.

Old 10-06-2022, 09:40 AM   #38
thinkxingu

Quote:
You know how hard it was for me to not respond "*English"?!

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (10-06-2022)
Old 10-06-2022, 10:02 AM   #39
ITD

Quote:
No you didn't fail, it was funny, I laughed. And she would have dinged me for it too, lol.
Newbiesaukee (10-06-2022)
Old 10-06-2022, 05:09 PM   #40
LoveLakeLife

Ding No. 2: “whether or not”. “Or not” is subsumed into “whether”. It’s just “whether”.

Sorry, unlike Think I couldn’t restrain myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
LoveLakeLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 09:26 PM   #41
ApS

Question Or Was Humerous Intended?

Quote:
The word is "humorous"...
Old 02-23-2023, 09:43 AM   #42
Susie Cougar

Quote:
The word is "humorous.
I think you failed to see our resident doctor’s humor.
Susie Cougar is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Susie Cougar For This Useful Post:
ApS (02-23-2023), Outdoorsman (02-23-2023), VitaBene (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 12:40 PM   #43
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
The word is "humorous"...

APS is, strictly speaking, correct. But, he always has a bone to pick. That is humerus.

Old 02-23-2023, 01:47 PM   #44
ApS

Question Humer-less?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
I think you failed to see our resident doctor’s humor.
I would never want to be humorless!

Old 02-23-2023, 01:53 PM   #45
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
I would never want to be humorless!

Nor humerus-less. It’s very uncomfortable. I think the horse is probably dead.

The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
Susie Cougar (02-23-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 05:42 AM   #46
ApS

Unhappy Reached Terminal Velocity...

Quote:
He should lose his license, he is a dirtbag driving that fast on a public road.
Yesterday, a new record for a public road:

203-MPH

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...y-highway-die/
Old 02-25-2023, 06:11 AM   #47
thinkxingu

Quote:
Yesterday, a new record for a public road:

203-MPH

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...y-highway-die/
The article says the car is CAPABLE of 203 mph, not that s/he (driver not identified in linked article) was driving that fast.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (02-28-2023), FlyingScot (02-25-2023), upthesaukee (02-25-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 07:07 AM   #48
ApS

Cool "Drive It Like You Stole It..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
The article says the car is CAPABLE of 203 mph, not that s/he (driver not identified in linked article) was driving that fast.
Another source reports only 185-MPH, so 203-MPH may not be a record after all.

That crash was broadcast the same day on iHeart radio WMAL-FM. (Where I listen to domestic news--delivered with humor--on the Chris Plante Show).

That report suggested (to me, anyway) that investigators had determined the car's speed from its on-board computer--so a 203-MPH speed could be correct.

The sedan has 580-HP--driving in the HOV lane--and was stolen. Police claim there was only one occupant, but suppose the passenger was not wearing his seatbelt, and has not yet been located?
Old 02-28-2023, 07:25 AM   #49
BroadHopper

Default Autobahn

Here's an interesting read.

https://bikehike.org/what-is-the-ave...-the-autobahn/

268 mph before crashing is unreal!

Also, the lowest accident rate is on an unlimited highway. I do know the Germans are very respectable drivers.

The Isle of Man also has no speed limits on 2 lanes!
Old 02-28-2023, 11:18 AM   #50
Poor Richard

Quote:

The wording in that specific section of the article isn't correct.

Rudolf Caracciola successfully set an average speed of 268 mph without incident. The gentleman who attempted to break Caracciola's speed record, Bernd Rosemeyer, is the one who crashed (at 250 mph) and subsequently died.
Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 01:18 PM   #51
LoveLakeLife

Quote:

Also, the lowest accident rate is on an unlimited highway. I do know the Germans are very respectable drivers.

No speed limit on Isle of Pines either.

Old 03-02-2023, 03:49 AM   #52
ApS

Red face Landed Anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife View Post
No speed limit on Isle of Pines either.
I was guessing you didn't mean Cuba, so I looked up Isle of Pines at Google.

WOW is all can say about New Caledonia. A little hard to get to, but it's on my bucket list. Any roads at all?

Factoid: Early in WWII, New Caledonia was approached by U.S. Army brass to bring troops and provisions to fight Imperial Japan. The Governor refused, but a day later, the beginning of a 50,000 Allied troop deployment began unloading their ships!

Quote:

I watched one of Isle of Man's infamous motorcycle races on YouTube. Since its inception, 265 bikers have died on the course!

Fatalities are expected!

One racer couldn't make a curve and sailed through the air downhill until he was just a dot--landing perhaps a half-mile from the roadway he'd just left.

'Guessing he was one of the survivors, as he wasn't mentioned again.
Old 03-03-2023, 09:42 AM   #53
LoveLakeLife

I wasn’t thinking so exotically ApS. I was referencing Isle of Pines on the lake. lol

The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLakeLife For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (03-03-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 08:09 AM   #54
ApS

Red face Bumped by 10-MPH...Arrested...

Now, a Florida man has raised the speed threshold:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/05/...re-police-say/
Old 05-24-2023, 11:03 AM   #55
TiltonBB

Quote:

Copy and paste if you would. That is behind a paywall at the Boston Globe Democrat.
Old 05-25-2023, 06:27 AM   #56
BroadHopper

Default I-75 west coast

Quote:

Driving down I-75 between Tampa and Sarasota at 4 am in the morning, A MB AMG, BMW M series, and an Audi RS were clocked at 130 mph! All were experienced drivers in their 70s! During the time I spent in Venice, I rarely saw highway patrol and lots of speeding and fast cars!
Old 05-25-2023, 08:24 AM   #57
ApS

Post Motorcycle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Copy and paste if you would. That is behind a paywall at the Boston Globe Democrat.
Try again. The full story is now working for me.

This occurred on Route 101 in Exeter, where the speed limit is 55-MPH.
Old 05-25-2023, 01:24 PM   #58
TiltonBB

Quote:
Try again. The full story is now working for me.

This occurred on Route 101 in Exeter, where the speed limit is 55-MPH.
Thank you. It works now.