Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2022, 06:02 PM   #1
Fishcat

Default Quiet Hours or Curfew

Does anyone know if there are any established quiet hours or curfews on the lake? I am talking about early morning skiers who circle repeatedly with a boat that is powerful and noisy. Voices from the skiers are also loud as they cheer each other on and switch skiers. Is this allowed as long as the sun is up or are there other guidelines?
Fishcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 06:14 PM   #2
SAB1

I know of no such rule prohibiting it. As a kid on Geneva Point 50 plus years ago Camp Robindale counselors started skiing at 6am. If you are an avid skier it’s about the best water you find all day.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (07-12-2022), BroadHopper (07-14-2022), DotRat (07-10-2022), Fishcat (07-10-2022), VitaBene (07-12-2022)
Old 07-10-2022, 09:39 PM   #3
BeaverIslandGuy

Default Quiet hours or curfew

In regards to the waterskiing (or tubing), restricted hours are sunset to sunrise. In the middle of summer, that likely does not help you much. As for noise, I think you are out of luck In Terms of boating laws.
Fishcat (07-11-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 04:59 AM   #4
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I think it's a half hour before sunrise and a half hour after sunset, isn't it?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Fishcat (07-11-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 08:45 AM   #5
garysanfran

There's a very large house being built next to me.

A couple Sundays ago...SUNDAY! They started at 5:00 am. I called the Meredith PD and they told me the start time for construction is 7:00. I asked them to relay that to the contractor. Fifteen minutes later the noise stopped.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-11-2022), Fishcat (07-11-2022)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2022, 09:19 AM   #6
Little Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishcat View Post
Does anyone know if there are any established quiet hours or curfews on the lake? I am talking about early morning skiers who circle repeatedly with a boat that is powerful and noisy. Voices from the skiers are also loud as they cheer each other on and switch skiers. Is this allowed as long as the sun is up or are there other guidelines?
A few years ago, I was at my house on Little Bear Island. It was early evening, and we had some friends over for watersports, dinner and other normal activities that people do in the summer. We had some music playing that we could barely hear down at our dock. Well some RAT from Long Island decided that our music was too loud, and called the cops on us. The Tuftonboro Fire Boat showed up with a town cop riding on the bow. The cop threatened me with arrest if I didn't turn down the music (which again, we could barely hear from the dock). Public relations at its finest........

To make a very long story short, I followed up with the Tuftonboro PD to inquire as to who made the RAT call, and also to find out if Tuftonboro had any kind of noise ordinance that I was violating. I was told that the Town didn't have a noise ordinance, but they follow the State of NH law for disorderly conduct. I asked for the RSA #, and they gave it to me - RSA 644:2 :

http://gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/lxii/644/644-2.htm
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Bear For This Useful Post:
Fishcat (07-11-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 09:39 AM   #7
Fishcat

Well, I have never called anyone. I just believe that at sun up most of the lake is calm and quiet. There are many places to ski. I am not sure why you would come into a small cove and circle repeatedly when most people are still sleeping and ski conditions are good anywhere on the lake. It would be nice to have some consideration and courtesy.

Last edited by Fishcat; 07-11-2022 at 10:19 AM.
Fishcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 12:48 PM   #8
Sue Doe-Nym

Unfortunately, the world seems to be in a place where too many think only of themselves, and everyone else be damned. It’s so sad….and if you even question the offender, you’re apt to get a lot of disrespectful lip from them, or worse. Manners and respect…..gone. Very sad.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (07-12-2022), Biggd (07-11-2022), BroadHopper (07-14-2022), Fishcat (07-11-2022), GregW11 (07-11-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 01:21 PM   #9
Woodsy

Quote:
Well, I have never called anyone. I just believe that at sun up most of the lake is calm and quiet. There are many places to ski. I am not sure why you would come into a small cove and circle repeatedly when most people are still sleeping and ski conditions are good anywhere on the lake. It would be nice to have some consideration and courtesy.
This is what happens when you live on the border of what is essentially a State Park! Unfortunately, the calmest water is in the morning, and there are way more people who want to ski than there are skiable coves with calm water. For whatever reason, this group likes the cove you are in.

Woodsy
Old 07-11-2022, 01:23 PM   #10
Woodsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Unfortunately, the world seems to be in a place where too many think only of themselves, and everyone else be damned. It’s so sad….and if you even question the offender, you’re apt to get a lot of disrespectful lip from them, or worse. Manners and respect…..gone. Very sad.
They are not offenders if they have broken no laws...

Woodsy
Old 07-11-2022, 01:23 PM   #11
Nagigator

Default been going on for some time.....

Used to happen to us on Blackey's Cove all the time back in the late 90's.. Sunrise skiers who just had to whoop it up along with circling in the same spot very close to us just about every Saturday and Sunday morning. Trying to get their attention didn't work, so basically we were up for the day along with them. Not fun
Nagigator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nagigator For This Useful Post:
Fishcat (07-11-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 01:49 PM   #12
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
They are not offenders if they have broken no laws...

Woodsy
Okay….if you even deign to question the person who has demonstrated offensive behavior……is that better, Woodsy?
Old 07-11-2022, 02:28 PM   #13
Woodsy

Quote:
Okay….if you even deign to question the person who has demonstrated offensive behavior……is that better, Woodsy?
A little....

My point would be, (in whatever scenario) if they haven't broken any laws that you know of, why would you think its OK to question them? I might find some behaviors offensive, but if they aren't breaking the law, I am not going to get myself twisted about it. I SMH and move on with my day.

Winnipesaukee is essentially a State Park, open for a myriad of legal uses... nobody is forcing anyone to live along its beautiful shoreline. While I can and do sympathize with Fishcat, to be truthful it is pretty much the pinnacle of first world problems!

Woodsy
Old 07-11-2022, 03:43 PM   #14
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Local Noise Ordinance

Quote:
You may wish to check your towns noise ordinance and see what it says. Unfortunately Lake Winnipesaukee may be exempt to this ordinance like in my town of Gilford... Standard Noise ordinance (quiet time) in Gilford is from 8:00 PM until 7:00 AM but the lake is exempt from this ordinance...

Dan
Fishcat (07-11-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 05:52 PM   #15
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

OP, what times are you talking?

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 06:03 PM   #16
John Mercier

Quote:
A little....

My point would be, (in whatever scenario) if they haven't broken any laws that you know of, why would you think its OK to question them? I might find some behaviors offensive, but if they aren't breaking the law, I am not going to get myself twisted about it. I SMH and move on with my day.

Winnipesaukee is essentially a State Park, open for a myriad of legal uses... nobody is forcing anyone to live along its beautiful shoreline. While I can and do sympathize with Fishcat, to be truthful it is pretty much the pinnacle of first world problems!

Woodsy
A question arises to NH RSA 644:2 III (a) that Little Bear linked.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 10:18 PM   #17
Woodsy

Could be an issue... but I doubt it

Since the advent of the sport, Waterskiing has always been an early morning activity here on Winni... It hardly rises to the level of a disorderly conduct charge. We would be on the water by 6am when I was a kid... (long time ago in a galaxy far far away)

Fishcat could call the MP, but my guess is they will provide little to no relief as the activity the people are engaging in is not anywhere near illegal and occurs all across the lake daily in season.

Woodsy
Old 07-12-2022, 04:34 AM   #18
swnoel

sounds like someone should sell their lakefront place and buy something in the middle of the woods. I hear it's quiet there...
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to swnoel For This Useful Post:
Blyblvrd (07-12-2022), BroadHopper (07-14-2022), Fritoman (07-12-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 06:53 AM   #19
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by swnoel View Post
sounds like someone should sell their lakefront place and buy something in the middle of the woods. I hear it's quiet there...
Though I don't think it's reasonable to expect silence on the lake, I do think it's reasonable to have an expectation of good manners.

I don't know what the OP's times are or how often it happens, so I'm not sure if his expectation is reasonable—and, frankly, in '22 I'm not sure the same expectations we once may have held are even reasonable—but there is/should be some baseline norms.

That's the reason why construction—and homeowner work—"shouldn't" start until 7 with the only exceptions being emergencies or snowblowing.

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (07-12-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 08:36 AM   #20
ACME on the Broads

Default Want Quiet?

Going to be dead for a long time, they're going miss the noise!
ACME on the Broads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 09:35 AM   #21
mowtorman

Default Pleasure Principle

People seek it and they are going to get it. The lake is one big amusement park.

What if Harley makes a watercraft? Straight pipe blow out on water. Will you address the noise off the lake too?

Used to be straight pipe drag boats on the lake...lots of them but new laws shut them down. Old traditions give way to new. Remember in the 80s when jetskis were supposed to stay in the middle of the broads? What will you do about wakeboard boats? How will you quiet the stereos that sound like Meadowbrook from a distance?
Who knows what the next rage will be.... whatever it is it won't be quiet.

If you want quiet then come around before mid June and after mid September. The lake will be your playground.

In the 80s the voices of bass fishermen would wake me before 6 in the morning on still mornings. Their voices carried as if they were in the house when they were 10 feet off the dock using their rights to fish.

Overall it might be better to modify your expectations to the situation.....the situation is not likely to change and more of everything is more likely.
mowtorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 09:57 AM   #22
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Being reasonable…

At the risk of beating a dead horse, I am going to reiterate that some laws regarding curfews and noise are undoubtedly necessary, BUT people need to use common sense when it comes to noise…it’s basic consideration…. So being mindful of your neighbors by not starting your power mower at 6 a.m. on Sunday and not creating a huge wake around kayakers, and loud music at night……. It’s common sense, folks, not rocket science! End of rant.
Old 07-12-2022, 10:20 AM   #23
mowtorman

Default Reasonable

Your notion is "reasonable". What is your method for bringing "unreasonable" people around to your perspective? People have different perspectives on what is 'reasonable". For example on Saturday a modified super loud jetski was doing backflips off the Center Harbor docks for hours. I bet the guys thought what they were doing was "reasonable". It's s new world out there.
Old 07-12-2022, 11:23 AM   #24
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowtorman View Post
Your notion is "reasonable". What is your method for bringing "unreasonable" people around to your perspective? People have different perspectives on what is 'reasonable". For example on Saturday a modified super loud jetski was doing backflips off the Center Harbor docks for hours. I bet the guys thought what they were doing was "reasonable". It's s new world out there.
You illustrate the basic point--reasonable people might debate the exact definition (7am? 9am?). But we all know what's definitely unreasonable--things like backflipping superloud circling jetskis. Guys doing this know they are extreme, but like children, they will not acknowledge it. This makes their "perspective" much less relevant.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 11:58 AM   #25
mowtorman

Default Relevance

DC you are preaching to the choir.

People either don't know or don't care. The last thing they want is my or someone else's opinion on what they are doing. Usually it is one person up against 3-10 with the ending being some expletive filled rant followed by threats.

It's like an overcrowded rats nest. If enforcement doesn't enforce there are 3 choices. Work on accepting what is happening, organizing for change (like Lockes Island), or hit yourself in the head with a hammer at least you can control that.

It's not Happy Days and 1950 anymore. If people want something they take it ...."I'm getting my piece of the pie now...you won't stop me".

I keep having to update and reconcile the lakes region I've known for going on 60 years with what it is today.....kind of like a periodic reboot. Like I had never seen 30 boats waiting to go down Weirs Channel before.

I talked with a lady at Glendale whose dad put the family property in trust. She said Goodhues took 30 storage spaces away from long term users and had a lottery for the longtime customers. Her family lost the lottery so now they come out of Dave's. Goodhues offered the spaces to new customers with the purchase of a new boat. It's the same mentality everywhere...out with the old in with the new. Just like flushing a toilet.

Ride the wave or wipeout.
Old 07-12-2022, 12:03 PM   #26
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Crazy stunt

Quote:
The back flipping jet ski saga is totally insane! Forget “reasonable” for a moment. These showoffs are seriously endangering themselves, as well as others. Being paralyzed ( or dead) is a choice they are making. Reminds me of the old adage: “You can’t fix stupid.” End of rant 2.
Old 07-12-2022, 12:51 PM   #27
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
The back flipping jet ski saga is totally insane! Forget “reasonable” for a moment. These showoffs are seriously endangering themselves, as well as others. Being paralyzed ( or dead) is a choice they are making. Reminds me of the old adage: “You can’t fix stupid.” End of rant 2.
I do not think it is a matter of showing off. Many like these risky recreational activities and the adreniline they provide just like bundge jumping, sky diving ect. as long as they know the risk and isnt doesnt endanger others that are unwilling its their choice and obviously "reasonable" to them
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 01:08 PM   #28
Sleezstak

I drive every weekend back and forth to enjoy the lake. Its 1.5 hours each way each day. The commute has horns, traffic, accidents, Harley exhausts and so on.
Why you sleeping so late? Give me your lake place. Ill grab a coffee, watch some early morning jet ski back flippin', jump in a tube, ride them waves then high five the croaking bullfrog all before 7am.
Winter is long and quiet. Live a little rather that kill others.
Sleezstak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sleezstak For This Useful Post:
Blyblvrd (07-13-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 01:44 PM   #29
Susie Cougar

In my opinion, with the real estate market still going strong, I would suggest selling your home and waiting a year or so for the market to go back down and then buy some lakefront property that nobody bothers.

Live on the back lot close to the water so you still have access and bite your time.
Always think ahead.
I am in the process of selling my Florida home because when they told me it was worth $1 million I said you can have it.
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 02:46 PM   #30
Woodsy

Quote:
You can get just as seriously hurt waterskiing or skateboarding.... or in just about any physical activity. If they are minding their own business, and not breaking any laws... (150' rule, jumping boat wakes, no life jacket are the most violated by jetski's) What do you care?

God forbid anyone have fun!

Woodsy
Blyblvrd (07-13-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 03:03 PM   #31
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Sometimes fun is overrated…

Quote:
You can get just as seriously hurt waterskiing or skateboarding.... or in just about any physical activity. If they are minding their own business, and not breaking any laws... (150' rule, jumping boat wakes, no life jacket are the most violated by jetski's) What do you care?

God forbid anyone have fun!

Woodsy
Woodsy, I guess you have never had to experience the unbearable pain of losing a child, and I hope you never do. God forbid anyone get in the way of your having fun.
Old 07-12-2022, 03:04 PM   #32
mowtorman

Default 150 feet.

I agree.....but in this case they were inside of where the no wake marker would be if it were there.
Either in the midst of boats idling for dock space or slightly to the Meredith side. The lifeguards said it is a usual weekend event "like they are putting on a show".

I thought it was ABC Wide World of Sports and the Joey Chitwood Thrill Show was in town)).

As long as people have been on the lake they have been doing crazy stuff. Like the kid that barefoot waterskied behind a jetski up the iced in channel a few years ago. His feet took a beating in the 30 whatever degree water.
Old 07-12-2022, 03:29 PM   #33
John Mercier

It was a snowmobile.
Pat is fine. But he did suffer legally.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
mowtorman (07-12-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 03:38 PM   #34
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
In my opinion, with the real estate market still going strong, I would suggest selling your home and waiting a year or so for the market to go back down and then buy some lakefront property that nobody bothers.

Live on the back lot close to the water so you still have access and bite your time.
Always think ahead.
I am in the process of selling my Florida home because when they told me it was worth $1 million I said you can have it.
Hi Susie,

If you're going to need to buy again, you might want to be careful with this idea. I agree that the market is crazy, but that does not mean it cannot become even crazier...

If you jump out of the market for a year, and prices go up during that year, you may not be able to back back in where you'd like.
Old 07-12-2022, 03:48 PM   #35
mowtorman

Default Barefooting

https://youtu.be/Pi07frwERlI

Imagine if his foot hit one of the ice pieces...if you're gonna do it I bet you don't worry about it.
Old 07-12-2022, 04:37 PM   #36
Susie Cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Hi Susie,

If you're going to need to buy again, you might want to be careful with this idea. I agree that the market is crazy, but that does not mean it cannot become even crazier...

If you jump out of the market for a year, and prices go up during that year, you may not be able to back back in where you'd like.
Thanks, FlyingScot.
I’ve had some health issues and I am moving back north. Prices where I am are sky high still, but my daughter bought a home recently in Maryland and although she was in a vicious bidding war over several homes for almost a year, ( and ended up spending $100,000 over the asking price to get her home.)The market has finally slowed down. I am seeing some very good prices. My realtor says that they are going through a correction.
I know my house will sell quickly and I can always move in with my daughter for awhile it if I don’t find the perfect house for myself immediately.
Thanks,again!
Old 07-12-2022, 05:18 PM   #37
Woodsy

Quote:
Woodsy, I guess you have never had to experience the unbearable pain of losing a child, and I hope you never do. God forbid anyone get in the way of your having fun.
If Mowtorman is correct, then they were breaking the 150' rule... fair game!

As far losing a child... what does that have to do with the anything? Everyone is someone's child. Doing low speed backflips on a jetski is probably one of the safer activities you can do on one of those.

Woodsy
Fritoman (07-14-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 05:27 PM   #38
John Mercier

Quote:
https://youtu.be/Pi07frwERlI

Imagine if his foot hit one of the ice pieces...if you're gonna do it I bet you don't worry about it.
Not at the time... when you have a bunch of young guys around you that have nothing to lose goading you on.
mowtorman (07-12-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 05:38 PM   #39
John Mercier

Quote:
Sorry, but so far all we have given you is the three options, accept it as is, call the Marine Patrol and make a complaint, or sell your property.
Fritoman (07-14-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 06:01 PM   #40
The Real BigGuy

No matter how much one wishes, hope, cajoles, yells, or rants we will always have people who have no idea what common courtesy is. We always have, we always will. Whether it is a loud neighbor, a loud boat/car/motorcycle, a loud voice in a movie theater, or the guy who cuts you off because he can, they will always be there.

All most of us can do is try and be the best we can be. We aren’t going to change the ones who just don’t care. It’s unfortunate that some have to make a decision to move on because of the inconsiderate few.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
Fishcat (07-12-2022), mowtorman (07-12-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 06:11 PM   #41
Susie Cougar

Quote:
I don’t know where you live on the lake, but there is a cute little two bedroom home for sale on Lake Kanasatka that shares a beautiful sandy beach with only a couple of other homes. You have easy access to Center Harbor if you want to go onto Lake Winnepesaukee. I don’t know what type of boats are allowed on that lake. It seems to be the kind of place you are looking for. And the taxes are less than $2000 a year. The good old low tax town of Moultonborough!
It’s listed for $497,500 and it’s already been on the market for 53 days, so I think you could get it for much less.
Old 07-12-2022, 07:23 PM   #42
WinnisquamZ

Must say over here on Winnisquam we have little of that stuff you discuss. We do have a yellow plane that practices takeoffs and landings that I enjoy seeing. The noise, little of it. Kayak a few days each week. Enjoyable. Don’t get the town visiting you each have, but I enjoy the peacefulness. No boats in sight as I write this note

WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 07:30 PM   #43
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Must say over here on Winnisquam we have little of that stuff you discuss. We do have a yellow plane that practices takeoffs and landings that I enjoy seeing. The noise, little of it. Kayak a few days each week. Enjoyable. Don’t get the town visiting you each have, but I enjoy the peacefulness. No boats in sight as I write this note

The same in the north of Winni.

Old 07-12-2022, 10:07 PM   #44
Juiced06GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
The same in the north of Winni.

Stop telling everyone how nice it is over on the north side! I need another two years of no daycare payments before I can snag a place up there and they'll all be gone!
Juiced06GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 11:03 PM   #45
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced06GTO View Post
Stop telling everyone how nice it is over on the north side! I need another two years of no daycare payments before I can snag a place up there and they'll all be gone!
It'll be interesting to see what the market does—there's a place on Hanson Cove that was listed for $940k, dropped to $900, and is now under contract. Was up for quite a bit, though, compared to last summer when things were barely listed before being bought for $xxx over asking.

Old 07-13-2022, 06:37 AM   #46
gillygirl

Quote:
It'll be interesting to see what the market does—there's a place on Hanson Cove that was listed for $940k, dropped to $900, and is now under contract. Was up for quite a bit, though, compared to last summer when things were barely listed before being bought for $xxx over asking.

Can’t believe there’s a place in Acadia that’s listed for just under $300k. Is that realistic, Think?

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 07-13-2022, 07:04 AM   #47
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
Can’t believe there’s a place in Acadia that’s listed for just under $300k. Is that realistic, Think?

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The last one sold for $225k and the one before that was ~$215k. Neither came with anything extra (golf cart, kayaks, etc.), so I'm not totally surprised to see the newest listing—the only current unit available.

I'm not confident it'll get $300k given that it went to market—the others were sold long before being listed and anything in the $225k or under area would be snatched up by a handful of current Arcadia owners or their friends/family. I think the seller was hoping someone waiting in line would just go for it at the beginning of summer.

As an owner, I'd like to say I'm happy to see values up, but I'm really not. The chances of my own children affordably buying there have plummeted this last half-decade—in reality, Arcadia is among the last of the associations accessible to many Americans.

gillygirl (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 08:11 AM   #48
FlyingScot

Quote:

As an owner, I'd like to say I'm happy to see values up, but I'm really not. The chances of my own children affordably buying there have plummeted this last half-decade—in reality, Arcadia is among the last of the associations accessible to many Americans.

Exactly. For people who have homes they love, rising values are a gain that is not really a gain.
Old 07-13-2022, 03:29 PM   #49
Sue Doe-Nym

Default A loving message….so touching….

I just received a PM from Fritoman, who claims that my being on the forum is a big problem, and he has suggested that I return to where I came from……so does anyone want to volunteer to help me pack up?
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
Fritoman (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 04:10 PM   #50
The Real BigGuy

Wow! This is the perfect example of someone who should be banned. Sorry you had to go thru that.

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
Sue Doe-Nym (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 04:33 PM   #51
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
I just received a PM from Fritoman, who claims that my being on the forum is a big problem, and he has suggested that I return to where I came from……so does anyone want to volunteer to help me pack up?
I'm sure you've mentioned it, but your profile doesn't show where you are now or where you came from, so this is a tough choice. As far as I can tell, "We" all think you're just fine as is, where is.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Sue Doe-Nym (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 05:02 PM   #52
thinkxingu

Quote:
From the looks of it, Fritoman = Nitrovandam and the other crazy usernames. What a sad, sad dude if so.

I appreciate you, Sue!

Sue Doe-Nym (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 05:45 PM   #53
Sue Doe-Nym

I appreciate your kind words very much. My purpose in posting was to call him out publicly for abusing private messaging by sending such a cowardly message to a forum member. I think that most of us appreciate robust debate on topics, whether or not we agree with everyone. A lot of valuable information is shared by many.
Fritoman (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 06:00 PM   #54
mowtorman

Default Perspective

In cyberspace you can be anyone at any time. Same example as before..... what one person considers relevant and reasonable another takes it as reason to accuse or attack.

Buttons get pushed on many topics on forums. If you make public statements you have to expect pushback if only for kicks for some, or they bait hoping to engage the other person. Happens on FPF all the time.

In terms of this post...the content is mostly milk toast I don't see much to be offended by except maybe the word "stupid".

I've learned a lot over time about many things on this forum. I hope the bad vibes roll off like water on a duck's back. Keep posting. Like many on the forum Here isn't where you are and maybe Here is where you have to go back to?

May the Fman will help you and maybe us understand his position and what he found disagreeable.

No one forces us to read or post anything. I can go months without even looking at this forum, just saying.

Best wishes. If I want bad news I just turn on the World News.
The Following User Says Thank You to mowtorman For This Useful Post:
Fritoman (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 06:22 PM   #55
John Mercier

Her position is too conservative for him...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
Fritoman (07-13-2022), mowtorman (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 06:46 PM   #56
ishoot308

Default Don’t Change!

Quote:
Don’t worry about it one bit Sue! You are one of the nicest posters on this forum! I enjoy reading your post and insight on the many topics you have replied to!

I too have received a few “nasty-grams” through this forum over the years and is one of the reasons I took a break for a couple years. People who send these messages are most likely teenagers or someone with no life living in their mothers basement and have nothing better to do with themselves!

Stay just the way you are!

Dan
Sue Doe-Nym (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 06:52 PM   #57
FlyingScot

Hi Sue,

You're a great member, thanks for calling out this jerk.

I wish I could say that I'm surprised, but Fman's posts made it clear that he is one of a series of short time members, or more likely a long time member who cycles through user names, who is destructive and should be banned.

We're with you!

FS
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-14-2022), Fritoman (07-13-2022), Sue Doe-Nym (07-13-2022), Susie Cougar (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 07:49 PM   #58
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Don’t worry about it one bit Sue! You are one of the nicest posters on this forum! I enjoy reading your post and insight on the many topics you have replied to!

I too have received a few “nasty-grams” through this forum over the years and is one of the reasons I took a break for a couple years. People who send these messages are most likely teenagers or someone with no life living in their mothers basement and have nothing better to do with themselves!

Stay just the way you are!

Dan
Thank you, Dan….FS also. We all missed you and your contributions while you were “on leave” . There are so many smart and helpful, even funny members to add to the discussions, and we have been bailed out many times by members’ practical solutions.
Anyhow, welcome back!
Sue
Fritoman (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 08:45 PM   #59
Woodsy

Quote:
WOW! Sorry to hear that! Totally unacceptable!

Woodsy
Biggd (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 07:12 AM   #60
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Why do people love to attack and argue so much? I hate it. That's why when I make a comment, I seldom continue arguing, because I have better things to do than spend hours with people who won't change their minds anyway -so why bother. Ignore it Sue. I admire that you don't give in. Some people can't handle that.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 07:39 AM   #61
dickiej

Here’s why…. Former Facebook exec: "I think we have created tools that are ripping apart the social fabric of how society works. The short-term, dopamine-driven feedback loops we’ve created are destroying how society works. No civil discourse, no cooperation; misinformation, mistruth. You are being programmed
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dickiej For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (07-14-2022), tis (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 07:51 AM   #62
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Sign of the times.

Lifetime shorefront residence of the lake, I can tell you my observance. Early years before McMansions and Mcyachts, boaters and landowners had a peaceful existence. Landowners accept the fact the boaters have the right to common sense use of the lake. Watersports at sunrise and sunset were considered normal. Small loud race boats were also the norm. A loud rafting party that pops up on weekends was also tolerated. We accept that as part of the use for the right to live on the lake. Even neighborhoods had block parties where we get to socialize and know each other. The kids get to play outside together. During the waterski racing era, Neighborhoods would form a race team to participate. Allowing distant neighbors to know each other.

Today this is all gone. A great reason for the family to move to Winnisquam.
ishoot308 (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 08:13 AM   #63
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Lifetime shorefront residence of the lake, I can tell you my observance. Early years before McMansions and Mcyachts, boaters and landowners had a peaceful existence. Landowners accept the fact the boaters have the right to common sense use of the lake. Watersports at sunrise and sunset were considered normal. Small loud race boats were also the norm. A loud rafting party that pops up on weekends was also tolerated. We accept that as part of the use for the right to live on the lake. Even neighborhoods had block parties where we get to socialize and know each other. The kids get to play outside together. During the waterski racing era, Neighborhoods would form a race team to participate. Allowing distant neighbors to know each other.

I agree with this sentiment in general. But with all due respect, you seem to have noted only one side of the debate. Certain watersports lovers AND certain McMansion owners have both been abusive and caused corrosion to both the lake and society.
Old 07-14-2022, 09:34 AM   #64
WinnisquamZ

Quote:

Better make your move, here on the eastern side we just had two tear downs sell for $1.2 each! And a record sale for Winnisquam at $3.4 mill for a 4k square foot home. All under agreement in a single weekend showing

WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 10:32 AM   #65
ishoot308

Quote:

Good post! I do agree with most of what you said...

As someone who remembers the lake as a kid in the 60's and 70's, waterskiing and louder race boats (now called classics!) were definitely more prevalent and totally accepted back then. They were fun to watch and would bring in crowds of people as spectators.

You would NEVER hear anyone complain about water skiers or those loud beautiful classic race boats as they were a sight to see and watch!

There was also a very active runway with planes taking off on Wolfeboro neck and those planes were loud but no one ever complained about them actually quite the opposite most would love to see them land and takeoff!

Back then there were no "wake boats", no 1000 watt stereo systems and the lake is much busier with boaters from all over New England. Add this to a much less tolerant and disrespectful society and you have what we have today...Unfortunately this was created by us....

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 07-14-2022 at 11:20 AM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-14-2022), Fritoman (07-14-2022), upthesaukee (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 12:01 PM   #66
Winilyme

Good old soft foam earplugs will block out nearly all of that early morning noise. I'll occasionally resort to these if I'm planning to sleep in on a Saturday or Sunday. Problem solved.

Regarding early morning construction, one day this week at 6:30 in the morning, trucks were roaring by headed to a construction site 1/4 mile up the street. Soon as they got there you could hear the loud beep-beep-beeps as these vehicles maneuvered in reverse (all well before 7:00 AM). I find that sound to be particularly grating. I wonder if with all the smart camera/laser technology these days, they could eliminate that annoying back-up alert in favor of a vehicle mounted sensor array that would immediately shut off the vehicle when detecting a person in close proximity to it; not unlike the technology being employed for self-driving vehicles.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:29 PM   #67
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

The technology would have to be changed.

Many trucks back up to things like loading docks or concrete trucks backing up to a concrete pump so the back up sensors like what is in cars would not work.

I shut off that "safety" item in my SUV. I tried to back a trailer into my driveway and it slammed on the brakes, 3 times. After that same thing happened to me 4 different times I disabled it. It doesn't gently halt the vehicle, it is so abrupt it feels like you hit something.

I figured I have gone all these years without it and now I am closer to heart attack age. I want to eliminate anything that may cause one!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 08:07 AM   #68
XCR-700

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Good post! I do agree with most of what you said...

As someone who remembers the lake as a kid in the 60's and 70's, waterskiing and louder race boats (now called classics!) were definitely more prevalent and totally accepted back then. They were fun to watch and would bring in crowds of people as spectators.

You would NEVER hear anyone complain about water skiers or those loud beautiful classic race boats as they were a sight to see and watch!

There was also a very active runway with planes taking off on Wolfeboro neck and those planes were loud but no one ever complained about them actually quite the opposite most would love to see them land and takeoff!

Back then there were no "wake boats", no 1000 watt stereo systems and the lake is much busier with boaters from all over New England. Add this to a much less tolerant and disrespectful society and you have what we have today...Unfortunately this was created by us....

Dan
Well I never lived on Winnipesaukee but I did stay there every summer as a kid in the 1960s and spent a lot of time there all through the 1970s to today and there are some additional points I feel need to be mentioned.

First and foremost the volume of traffic is incomparable to the past, I could have never imagined all the boats you see today. Some days in the summer in the 1960s I would wait long periods without seeing anyone and was thrilled to have a boat pass by the docks on Echo Point.

The boats have also gotten bigger, MUCH bigger, and MUCH more destructive. The Wake/Surf boats are truly an abomination when used anywhere other than the Broads. I would not be a happy home owner to have them circling in front of my home blasting concert level music any time of the day.

Then I also feel obliged to say there is a difference in the quality of people at the lake these days. Way too many "entitled" Jersey Shore types, arrogant, mouthy, vulgar, pushy, the world is theres get out of there way attitudes everywhere. In the 1960s and 70s you had much more modesty, respectful, friendly, low impact fellow visitors.

Now I feel 100% certain that the dug in old folks who were also here in the 1960's probably felt similar about the people who were summer guests and brought there above the waterline ski boats and "FM" radios and Bbq grills and kids!

But the difference between the impact of summer traffic in the 1960s feels microscopic compared to the what we see today. Some days its like a bad reality TV show. So much so I have flat out refused to come to the lake on any Saturday in the summer for the last many years.

So while I totally agree that Winnipesaukee was ALWAYS a place were there was active speed boats, water sports, summer visitors, etc, the differences is it used to be X on a scale of 1 - 10, now its not even at 11, its completely off the scale. When you boat up to Wolfeboro or Alton on a weekday and have to wait 20 minutes to get on a dock on a Wednesday, and you are fighting 30' plus boats and giant pontoon boats and Wake boats with giant towers you cant see whats behind them, that a lot of different traffic than you saw as a kid here in the 1960's!

Still love it and come as often as I can, but I have much less desire to buy a Winnipesaukee home now than even 25 years ago,,,

Maybe mine are different colored lenses than others, we each have our own perspective and opinion and thats mine.

ATB

Last edited by XCR-700; 07-15-2022 at 04:27 PM.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
Fritoman (07-15-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 08:17 AM   #69
fatlazyless

Big semi trucks towing 53' van trailers and most all big trucks do NOT use a back-up camera and dashboard screen like in a car. The driver uses the mirrors attached to the two doors and that's what they use.

And, the back-up, reverse warning sound cannot be turned off.
Old 07-17-2022, 06:04 AM   #70
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Well I never lived on Winnipesaukee but I did stay there every summer as a kid in the 1960s and spent a lot of time there all through the 1970s to today and there are some additional points I feel need to be mentioned.

First and foremost the volume of traffic is incomparable to the past, I could have never imagined all the boats you see today. Some days in the summer in the 1960s I would wait long periods without seeing anyone and was thrilled to have a boat pass by the docks on Echo Point.

The boats have also gotten bigger, MUCH bigger, and MUCH more destructive. The Wake/Surf boats are truly an abomination when used anywhere other than the Broads. I would not be a happy home owner to have them circling in front of my home blasting concert level music any time of the day.

Then I also feel obliged to say there is a difference in the quality of people at the lake these days. Way too many "entitled" Jersey Shore types, arrogant, mouthy, vulgar, pushy, the world is theres get out of there way attitudes everywhere. In the 1960s and 70s you had much more modesty, respectful, friendly, low impact fellow visitors.

Now I feel 100% certain that the dug in old folks who were also here in the 1960's probably felt similar about the people who were summer guests and brought there above the waterline ski boats and "FM" radios and Bbq grills and kids!

But the difference between the impact of summer traffic in the 1960s feels microscopic compared to the what we see today. Some days its like a bad reality TV show. So much so I have flat out refused to come to the lake on any Saturday in the summer for the last many years.

So while I totally agree that Winnipesaukee was ALWAYS a place were there was active speed boats, water sports, summer visitors, etc, the differences is it used to be X on a scale of 1 - 10, now its not even at 11, its completely off the scale. When you boat up to Wolfeboro or Alton on a weekday and have to wait 20 minutes to get on a dock on a Wednesday, and you are fighting 30' plus boats and giant pontoon boats and Wake boats with giant towers you cant see whats behind them, that a lot of different traffic than you saw as a kid here in the 1960's!

Still love it and come as often as I can, but I have much less desire to buy a Winnipesaukee home now than even 25 years ago,,,

Maybe mine are different colored lenses than others, we each have our own perspective and opinion and thats mine.

ATB
Not really. By the 60s, we had already had a rush of non-natives buying into NH at a very flush rate.

The Greatest Generation would have noticed the Boomers becoming ''woke'', and the change in social, economic, and political factors that they brought about... but overall non-natives are not more likely to have ill character than natives.

The Greatest Generations was more ''conform to the norm'' than the Boomers ''Live Free or Die''.

And I think it is a bit too soon to determine whether the Millennials will continue the course of the Boomers or return to the more conservative past of the Greatest.
Fritoman (07-17-2022)
Old 07-18-2022, 08:45 AM   #71
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
Not really. By the 60s, we had already had a rush of non-natives buying into NH at a very flush rate.

The Greatest Generation would have noticed the Boomers becoming ''woke'', and the change in social, economic, and political factors that they brought about... but overall non-natives are not more likely to have ill character than natives.

The Greatest Generations was more ''conform to the norm'' than the Boomers ''Live Free or Die''.

And I think it is a bit too soon to determine whether the Millennials will continue the course of the Boomers or return to the more conservative past of the Greatest.
As you say, Not Really, the Millennials are pretty much fixed in their ways, I meet all our new employees during orientation for the last many years and check in on many of them over time, and have seen the drastic and disappointing change in the workplace over the last 15 years. This is a very frightening group from my seat. If their attitudes and ways persisted I would truly fear for the future.

The saving grace is the next group behind them. The kids not yet in the workforce are a different group again and at the moment I like what I see. They question and challenge things in a productive way. Unfortunately they are being fed so much misinformation from all directions, I have no idea how they will sort our the truth from the rubbish. But so far they are only sampling but not drinking the kool-aid and they are looking for their own answers and thats GREAT.

The future generations should not be "conform to the norm" nor should they be completely unbending "live free or die" they need to write a new standard that protects the basic standards our predecessors fought so hard for, but embraces future realities.

The future should be eyes open, not rah rah go solar - EV - 100% organic - etc, but rather, what are the actual cradle to grave issues of concern and legitimate pros and cons of any change. Strip off the hype of marketing and those who just seek to simply move money from one pocket to another, and push the ball forward in a well thought-out and actually informed way. Thats the future we need!

We have all been feed hype our whole lives and accepted the marketing as truth, when in fact its more absolute nonsense than fact. And the next batch beyond the Millennials will hopefully ignore the BS and demand facts and make truly informed decisions, and when they are wrong and make normal human mistakes, they will adapt and over come rather than waste time endlessly point fingers of blame in all directions.

Well one can only hope ;-)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
Fritoman (07-18-2022), ishoot308 (07-18-2022)
Old 07-18-2022, 09:42 AM   #72
Garcia

Default Millennials...

It's interesting to hear criticism of the millennials (disclaimer - I am Generation X and my kids are Gen Z) without the same criticism of either the Boomers or in fewer cases Generation X - the parents that raised them.

What I find striking in regards to the changes in the lake over the 50+ years I have been blessed to enjoy it, is the growing size and number of boats. I grew up with anywhere from a 15-22 foot boat (currently have a 17) as the main boat to get back and forth the the island, fish, waterski, and just explore the lake. Now it seems like 25+ is the norm.

In terms of obnoxious behavior, I think it always existed, but with more people out on the water on a given day, there are more opportunities to come into contact with the obnoxious, entitled ones. And, being in crowded situations, of which there are more of today than a couple decades ago, can bring out the worst in people.

More often than not I am a "weekend warrior" and thank my lucky stars every time I pull up to the dock on the island that 100 years ago, a family member had the foresight to build a cottage on a small piece of land that 5 generations and counting enjoy.

Last edited by Garcia; 07-18-2022 at 09:45 AM. Reason: added something
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-18-2022)
Old 07-18-2022, 10:03 AM   #73
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
It's interesting to hear criticism of the millennials without the same criticism of either the Boomers or in fewer cases Generation X - the parents that raised them.

What I find striking in regards to the changes in the lake over the 50+ years I have been blessed to enjoy it, is the growing size and number of boats. I grew up with anywhere from a 15-22 foot boat (currently have a 17) as the main boat to get back and forth the the island, fish, waterski, and just explore the lake. Now it seems like 25+ is the norm.

In terms of obnoxious behavior, I think it always existed, but with more people out on the water on a given day, there are more opportunities to come into contact with the obnoxious, entitled ones. And, being in crowded situations, of which there are more of today than a couple decades ago, can bring out the worst in people.

More often than not I am a "weekend warrior" and thank my lucky stars every time I pull up to the dock on the island that 100 years ago, a family member had the foresight to build a cottage on a small piece of land that 5 generations and counting enjoy.
I'm on board with all you say! Including the comments about criticism of Boomers and Gen X & Y, they all have problems, but they are no longer the future so I just didnt waste any time on them or should I say on us ;-)

I am keenly aware of my shortcomings and of my parents and those who followed. From the late 1970's through today we have fallen into a cultural rut. Advertising and political hype have replaced actual fact. Media has replaced journalism, truth is what you can post on the interweb and anyone will believe. Rights and justice are infinitely variable to suit the preference of those in control of the matter.

And though I see this as a dark period overall, I also see a reset on the horizon. I do believe the future gen will expect and demand and produce a better balance. If I fear anything of the future generations, its the total lack of connection to the skills that built our physical world. Gone are the tradesmen who were actually knowledgeable and took pride in what they built and repaired. Todays youth can set up a cell phone before a boomer can unfold the instructions. But ask that same youth to change a door knob and they dont know a chisel from a file and cant even figure out how to hold the tools let alone use them. They are actually mostly not interested in classic skills but are completely in sync with all the latest and greatest technology.

Its will be interesting to see this situation get resolved. I'm sure it will happen, but maybe not as we might expect.

Only time will tell, and I feel 100% certain this is a repeating cycle that has been experienced countless times over the last few hundred years ;-)
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-19-2022)
Old 07-18-2022, 12:59 PM   #74
John Mercier

I notice that they are more interested in the classical skills associated with homesteading and cottagecore... so must be a city thing you're seeing.
Old 07-18-2022, 02:07 PM   #75
XCR-700

Quote:
I notice that they are more interested in the classical skills associated with homesteading and cottagecore... so must be a city thing you're seeing.
Are you talking about Millennials, Gen X or Y, or post-Millennials?

And yes I suspect it is worse with Urban and Suburban young people than those who live in rural areas like the Lakes Region.

Closer to the city most young people work in offices and all want to be a Project Manager/Supervisor/Boss as soon a possible and way too many come to the workforce right out of a masters program and have never worked one day at a job before they start with us.

I have even seen new employees in their mid 20's who have no drivers license and have never driven! That is just amazing for any person unless they grew up in NYC or similar,,,
Old 07-18-2022, 03:00 PM   #76
John Mercier

Millennials.
Those moving to the area seem to want a quieter slower pace of life.
Old 07-19-2022, 07:03 AM   #77
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Millennials.
Those moving to the area seem to want a quieter slower pace of life.
Most, not all. The ones with professional careers who established their resumes/portfolios in the cities and are at the top of their game usually move here and work virtually commuting occasionally.
Most like to keep the tranquility that way. Some disagree, but I found they were brought up in that environment and didn't see things the way we do. It's hard to convince them to be as it may.