Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-19-2007, 07:48 PM   #1
Ropetow

Default "Sponge Bob" Saves Sinking Vessel

Not on the Big Lake, but still kind of interesting....

Office of Public Affairs
U.S. Coast Guard First District

Press Release

Date: Sept. 19, 2007

(617) 223-8515
Sponge Bob 'stops up' sinking vessel
**Photos available**

BOSTON - A Coast Guard rescue crew called upon Sponge Bob Square Pants for help in a tight situation aboard a Gloucester-based vessel sinking near Gloucester Harbor around 7:15 p.m., Saturday.

The four man crew of the 25-foot Clam Juice contacted Coast Guard Station Gloucester via VHF radio channel 16 to report their vessel was rapidly taking on water just off Ten Pound Island.

The Coast Guard launched a 25-foot response boat and rescue crew from Station Gloucester, which arrived on scene within minutes, and removed two crewmembers from the Clam Juice. Two Coast Guard crewmembers boarded the Clam Juice with a dewatering pump and began pumping the estimated 2,000 gallons of water out of the sinking vessel.

Upon dewatering the vessel, a large crack in the vessel's exhaust pipe was revealed as the source of the flooding. The best solution was to plug the exhaust hole externally with a round object, and rescuers began searching the vessel for something that fit the bill.

"I wish we had our football," said Petty Officer Second Class Daniel Bartholomew of the rescue crew. Finally, a crewmember aboard the Clam Juice grabbed a Sponge Bob Nerf football that was down below.

True to Sponge Bob's character, the squishy football sealed the hole perfectly and allowed the Clam Juice to be towed to Browns Yacht Yard for more permanent repairs.

No injuries were reported of the four crewmembers. Sponge Bob served his duty and returned to port without a scratch.

"Luckily, Sponge Bob got a day off so he was available to assist us with this rescue," said Chief Petty Officer Paul Wells, executive petty officer at Station Gloucester.

### U.S. Coast Guard: Saving Lives Since 1790 ###
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:10 PM   #2
secondcurve

I always carry bungs (cork type stoppers) in case of an emergencey with my scuppers. I have a self bailing boat. You never know what you will need or when, so it is good to have a variety of safety items as the above refrenced article clearly illustartes.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:43 PM   #3
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Hummm

I wonder what equipment the Marine Patrol carries with them. Do they have water pumps on board to help out a sinking boat if they arrive in time?
Old 09-20-2007, 08:40 AM   #4
SIKSUKR

Saw the boat on a Boston news channel last night.Pretty funny seeing the nerf football sticking out the side of the boat.Old yankee ingenuity.Oops,I probably shouldn't say the word yankee right now.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:09 AM   #5
Weirs guy

... Patrick was unavailable for comment...

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links