Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-17-2010, 01:01 PM   #1
NickNH

Unhappy Sad day yesterday.....Indian Rock gone...

Went up for the day to our house that's been in the family for over half a century.....

As we're driving in we see a terrible site. One of the favorite landmarks of the Wentworth Shores area has been destroyed for no apparent reason.....

In speaking to several other residents of that area, there was no notice and no reason given why this was destroyed. It was a wonderful natural rock formation that looked like an Indian's head. The attachments are a "before" and "after".

If the "purpose" was to make the road "safer", this will not happen. By opening up SLIGHTLY that section of road, you will now have people NOT slowing down and discovering that RIGHT after this rock is a turn that is a sharp 90 dgree turn.....

We are all very sad and the fact that we'll have to drive/walk by this travesty every time we're on that road makes it all the worse.
Attached Images

NickNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
NHKathy

Default Omg!

Wow - I know exactly where this is, we walk by the Indian Rock on Wentworth Shores all the time - in fact, I think I even have a picure of it on my Gallery on here... what a shame that is!
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:38 PM   #3
Irish mist

Did the state do this, or private citizens, or is it unknown ?
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
brk-lnt

It's kinda sad, sure, but it's a rock. It has/had no significance other than what you read into it.

We don't know why or what happened to cause it to turn into a pile of smaller rocks, but I don't think this was some grave dastardly act against humanity.

Sometime we all get too hung up on the past and things that in the grand scheme of life are not major events. The world changes and evolves around us. Sometimes by acts of nature, sometimes by acts of man. I think there are still plenty of interesting and beautiful things to see around the lake.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:08 PM   #5
NickNH

@Irish Mist - no one knows right now. There was rock work being done down the road a bit but why they would smash this rock up (which was no where near the house in question and on the opposite side of the road) we don't know.....

@brk-int - you're right, it's "just a rock". But it's the passing of a tradition many of us held dear as we drove to our respective "homes away from home" and I wanted people to see how nice it was when it was still intact. It appears to have been ruined for no good reason, this wasn't an "act of God". If it had been a major obstacle in the road it would have been better understood why it had to go but I've seen huge trucks manuever around it for years with no apparent issues.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2010, 05:26 PM   #6
Irish mist

brk-int.......sometimes it's the small things like this rock formation that give us comfort, remind us of home, memories with the family at the summer-house. How much the children love that "old Indian rock". Like NickNH says there seems to be no logical reason why this rock formation was taken down. Seems like a senseless act.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Irish mist For This Useful Post:
M.Wydra (05-18-2010), NickNH (05-17-2010), Resident 2B (05-17-2010)
Old 05-17-2010, 06:57 PM   #7
NoBozo

Just one more step in our relentless drive toward Hope and Change. No good reason for this at all.. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:10 PM   #8
Jonas Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
Just one more step in our relentless drive toward Hope and Change. No good reason for this at all.. NB
Our President dictated this rock to be broken into pieces. You are just trying to be funny, right?
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:21 PM   #9
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
Our President dictated this rock to be broken into pieces. You are just trying to be funny, right?
YUP. That's me.. Just trying to be funny. .................................................. NB
Old 05-17-2010, 07:35 PM   #10
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickNH View Post
@Irish Mist - no one knows right now. There was rock work being done down the road a bit but why they would smash this rock up (which was no where near the house in question and on the opposite side of the road) we don't know.....

@brk-int - you're right, it's "just a rock". But it's the passing of a tradition many of us held dear as we drove to our respective "homes away from home" and I wanted people to see how nice it was when it was still intact. It appears to have been ruined for no good reason, this wasn't an "act of God". If it had been a major obstacle in the road it would have been better understood why it had to go but I've seen huge trucks manuever around it for years with no apparent issues.
Is Wentworth Shores a Town or private road?
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:19 PM   #11
NickNH

Quote:
Is Wentworth Shores a Town or private road?
Town road......
Old 05-17-2010, 08:19 PM   #12
RI Swamp Yankee

Default Just a Rock ...

The "Old Man" was just a rock too ...
"The Mount" is just a boat ...
"The Lake" is just water ....

Irish mist was right on sometimes it's the small things like this rock formation that give us comfort, remind us of home....

I never saw that formation but it is (was) quite unique ... an old friend to those that passed by it regularly.
Argie's Wife (05-19-2010), DBreskin (05-18-2010), M.Wydra (05-18-2010), Mee-n-Mac (05-18-2010), Rattlesnake Guy (05-17-2010)
Old 05-18-2010, 05:07 AM   #13
RailroadJoe

RI SWAMP YANKEE is right. The OLD MAN was just a rock, but it was also the symbol for NH for generations. We rush to make things "safer" and end up destroying history. Even Stonehenge is just a pile of rocks.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:13 AM   #14
The Eagle

Default Not Fair

To say "it is just a rock" is like saying the American Flag is just a piece of cloth! It's the small "simple things" in life that we cherish and put meaning too, that build our memories. I neveer saw the Indian Rock, until the photo was put here, and it does look like and Indian's Head. What a shame someone didn't see through the eyes of others.
"The Eagle"
The Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:22 AM   #15
NHKathy

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...77&ppuser=1057

here's a link to my photo in the gallery of the Indian Rock....
from 2004...
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NHKathy For This Useful Post:
NickNH (05-18-2010), RI Swamp Yankee (05-18-2010)
Old 05-18-2010, 09:42 AM   #16
RumGuy

Default road

I am not familiar with that road, but as a casual observer; wouldn't the rock just stop you from crashing into the trees? Just how far will we go to protect ourselves from.....ourselves? It's a dirt road. Slow down.
RumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:10 AM   #17
SIKSUKR

It might be just a rock to some but I can see how that would become a rock worth saving. Pretty cool, I've never seen it. I wonder if Fritz Weatherbee included it in his piece about rocks that look like people or animals like Monkey Rock. It looks like the indian is crying. Maybe he knew his fate.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:50 AM   #18
NickNH

@Rum Guy.....

You're right, the rock didn't come out ONTO the road but it did come right to the edge of it.....this was a VERY good thing because it made people slow down a bit. RIGHT after this rock the road takes a sharp 90 degree angle turn so without it there that turn will be more dangerous especially at night if a driver unfamiliar with that road comes in (like say, a first time renter....).
Old 05-18-2010, 11:03 AM   #19
M.Wydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish mist View Post
brk-int.......sometimes it's the small things like this rock formation that give us comfort, remind us of home, memories with the family at the summer-house. How much the children love that "old Indian rock". Like NickNH says there seems to be no logical reason why this rock formation was taken down. Seems like a senseless act.
I totally agree!!! Its things like the rock that keep drawing us back to the lakes region. Memories and the stories for the kids are great and we love sharing them My kids are always asking questions about when we were young. They love hearing about special places and memories. What a shame the rock was taken apart!!!
M.Wydra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M.Wydra For This Useful Post:
RI Swamp Yankee (05-18-2010)
Old 05-18-2010, 12:21 PM   #20
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post
To say "it is just a rock" is like saying the American Flag is just a piece of cloth!
No, the American Flag was a symbol intentionally created for the express purpose of representing our country. It was formed with a specific design and purpose.

The rock formation in this thread was a random act of nature, no different than a cloud formation.

I tend to appreciate natural things like that when and as they exist, and not get too hung up when they inevitably come to pass.

There was no conspiracy here to destroy the rock or remove patriotic symbols or anything else. Sometimes you find you get more enjoyment out of life when you don't sweat the small things.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:39 PM   #21
Begonezvous

Default Indian Rock

I am no expert but I would imagine it required some heavy equipment to bust up this rock into small pieces. This took some level of planning by the Town and they obviously neglected to ask for anyone's input before doing the deed.

One could say that this is just a rock and this is no big deal. Another viewpoint is that this is the type of thing that gives this region and this state "character". It is good to appreciate and enjoy the simple things in life. Driving past the rock provided some solace that our constantly changing world has some stability, even if it's only a simple rock on the side of the road that resembles an Indian's profile. Now it's gone. Heavy sigh....
Begonezvous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:46 PM   #22
secondcurve

Probably part of the state and/or town's effort to spend some stimulus money would be my guess.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:51 PM   #23
Formula

Default Wants next

i know the rock well. I remember about 12 years ago the city of Boston decided to replace the sidewalk outside of a hotel that had all of the famous marathon runners imprinted in the concrete.
I sure hope that they leave nipple rock along
Formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:02 PM   #24
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Probably part of the state and/or town's effort to spend some stimulus money would be my guess.

Shovel Ready. The Town I live in Rhode Island now has Miles of New Concrete Sidewalk and curbing on a four lane Hyway (45mph) that no one has ever....or would ever WALK. Essentially Rural. Too many miles of walking.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:27 PM   #25
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Hummmm Interesting other then possibly being an issue with line of sight coming around the corner I don't see any issue in the summer. However there might have been an issue with the rock as the town tried to plow in the winter, or with access with emergency vehicles.

As more and more people use there retreats year around the roads need to be kept in better condition. So while it might seem harmless in the summer for immediate area residents. It might have cause issue with being able to keep the road wide enough to provide access on the road in the winter. Or more importantly to keep access open for emergency vehicles year around.

With that being said. If people really want to know the true story of what happened here I would suggest contacting town hall, or the DPW for the town. One of the two should be able to answer the question as to why this landmark was hammered apart.
Lucky1 (05-19-2010), Pineedles (05-18-2010)
Old 05-18-2010, 08:20 PM   #26
NickNH

At least one of our neighbors has contacted some of the town officials and they told her they didn't know why it was destroyed.

We know there's nothing that can be done about it now (we did go up there often in the winter and there was no issue with manuvering around it.....) but will probably check in with DPW to see if they have any idea why it was broken up. Alot of the broken pieces are closer to the edge of the road than the rock was itself but it may still be a "work in process".
Old 05-19-2010, 06:29 AM   #27
ApS

Smile Calling All Artists...

Quote:
"...We are all very sad and the fact that we'll have to drive/walk by this travesty every time we're on that road makes it all the worse..."(
'Notice that for the correct spelling of Moultonborough, you have to add "ugh"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Wanted:

Artist to restore major part of Moultonborough landmark "Indian Rock" a safe distance from roadway—using shovel-ready stones.

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:52 AM   #28
SIKSUKR

Well here is the perfect place for FLL to step in and build his Old Man replica out of those rocks right there where the Indian was.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:16 AM   #29
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Well here is the perfect place for FLL to step in and build his Old Man replica out of those rocks right there where the Indian was.
I'll get him a tutu if he does it...
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:41 AM   #30
jmen24

Quote:
At least one of our neighbors has contacted some of the town officials and they told her they didn't know why it was destroyed.

We know there's nothing that can be done about it now (we did go up there often in the winter and there was no issue with manuvering around it.....) but will probably check in with DPW to see if they have any idea why it was broken up. Alot of the broken pieces are closer to the edge of the road than the rock was itself but it may still be a "work in process".
Being able to manuver in your car is easy, did you ever try it in a plow truck with a wing.

But they will be able to wing back the snow between storms instead of having to bring a tractor out to clear the snow from around it, now that it is a pile of rocks.

Just think, removing that rock might save you some money on your taxes next year, by reducing the snow removal budget.

Contacting random people at the town hall will not get you anywhere. Call the Road Agent, he would have to authorize the use of town equipment to remove the rock.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:37 PM   #31
NickNH

Kinda doubt they would have brought a plow truck with a wing down a narrow dirt road......that gets even narrower as it wends it's way around the Wentworth Shores......if they did, they've been doing it for an awful lot of years with no apparent issues. Never saw any dings on the rock, no accidents were caused by it that we're aware either.....plenty of room on the other side of the road for snow to be moved.