Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
Janet

Default Griddle in the Middle

I've seen this restaurant advertised in the Laconia Daily Sun recently as being at the J.B. Scoops building on Rt 3 between Weirs and Meredith. Sounds like fun for the kids. Just wondered if anyone has tried it yet.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:27 PM   #2
meredith weekender

Went to The Griddle in the Middle this morning for breakfast and it was great. Not just for kids. The wife and I went without the kids and had a great breakfast. The staff is super friendly, the pancakes are all u can eat, and the batter used for the pancakes is AWESOME!!! Probably the best pancakes that I have ever had. We will DEFINITELY return
meredith weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to meredith weekender For This Useful Post:
Janet (06-10-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
colt17

Default Thumbs Up

We went this weekend and enjoyed ourselves. It really is a griddle in the middle lol. You order your food they bring it to you raw and then you cook it on a griddle in the middle of the table. The pancakes were great (buckwheat) they offered turkey bacon and sausage which was nice. The syrup on the table was not so good so we spent the extra $ on real maple syrup. The place was full of bikers and the guy next to us said as we sat down funny concept I could have done this at my camp lol. I would go back and recommend it to friends. I wish they still sold ice cream at night….
colt17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to colt17 For This Useful Post:
Janet (06-18-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
OurShangrila

Default Won't be back....

Pulled in Saturday morning on the motorcycles avoiding the large puddle in the middle of the parking lot and being careful around the loose gravel and sand in the rest of the lot.
We were surprised to learn this was a "cook you own" establishment and probably should have left once we realized this was the case. I would have preferred to cook at home, when I go out to eat that's what I want to do....eat.
I ordered a cup of coffee and my partner ordered a glass of OJ. (OJ @ $3/glass was served up in a plastic cup) I had to ask for cream (twice). The batter is brought to the table in a rather large pitcher. It's very thick and it seems much is lost sticking on the inside of the pitcher unless you want to take a spoon and scrape it out. We found it awkward to flip pancakes from a seated position.
On the table was a small pitcher with a tiny amount of syrup so we requested more syrup and oh yes, butter please. The syrup was thin and not very tasty and the pats of foil wrapped butter were so cold and hard I had to warm (soften) them in the palm of my hand first. The blueberries for the pancakes came in little cups and were frozen.
The sausage patties were good, the pancake batter was very good.
Total including tip = $24. Sorry....when we go out to breakfast we're looking for a great cup of coffee, great service and piping hot (cooked) food delivered to our table.
OurShangrila is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OurShangrila For This Useful Post:
Sully (06-24-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurShangrila View Post
Pulled in Saturday morning on the motorcycles avoiding the large puddle in the middle of the parking lot and being careful around the loose gravel and sand in the rest of the lot.
We were surprised to learn this was a "cook you own" establishment and probably should have left once we realized this was the case. I would have preferred to cook at home, when I go out to eat that's what I want to do....eat.
I ordered a cup of coffee and my partner ordered a glass of OJ. (OJ @ $3/glass was served up in a plastic cup) I had to ask for cream (twice). The batter is brought to the table in a rather large pitcher. It's very thick and it seems much is lost sticking on the inside of the pitcher unless you want to take a spoon and scrape it out. We found it awkward to flip pancakes from a seated position.
On the table was a small pitcher with a tiny amount of syrup so we requested more syrup and oh yes, butter please. The syrup was thin and not very tasty and the pats of foil wrapped butter were so cold and hard I had to warm (soften) them in the palm of my hand first. The blueberries for the pancakes came in little cups and were frozen.
The sausage patties were good, the pancake batter was very good.
Total including tip = $24. Sorry....when we go out to breakfast we're looking for a great cup of coffee, great service and piping hot (cooked) food delivered to our table.
Thanks for the critique. I'll be sure to avoid this establishment. I can't imagine it is doing well.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
meredith weekender

Gotta tell ya that have been to The Griddle 3 times over the past 2 weekends and love it. Each time with different people who all were skeptical and who all had a GREAT TIME. the cooking is really easy, the staff is awesome and fun and the Pancakes are DELICIOUS. You have to be ur own judge here.
meredith weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:07 AM   #7
dpg

I've got to agree with the less than impressive ratings. If I want to cook for myself I'll just stay home. When I eat out I don't wanna do a thing cept be served.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #8
Jimmy G

I very seldomly reply to online revues but in defense of our rest. I will. First o.j. Is $2.25. If i wanted to sell an oj inexpensive mixture i could. But we prefer tropicana. More expensive but, in my opinion, really worth the extra expense.
Second... The concept of the rest. Is that each customer have a fun time. It's not a chore to flip pancakes or scramble an egg. We have done this for a number of reason. First .. It actually makes breakfast a social interchange. People talk to one another.. They laugh, they applaud when a big pancake is flipped.. It's really a great time.. Most of our customers , even those from bike week, really enjoyed themselves.
Our servers are there to help.. Sorry you didn't receive the attention for which we strive.i wish i knew who served you.
Most times when you go out for breakfast you get your food.. It gets cold by the time your partially finished. At the griddle your food is piping hot at all times. You pace your food. If all you want to do is go get some food.. There are a lot of places in meredith.
Our syrup-- it is thin, by commercial standards.. It's not vermont maid.. Aunt jemima.. We don't use corn syrup to make it pour thicker... I think, my personal taste, its lighter and adds more flavor to the pancake. Not that it matters , we have had a nuber of customers actually want to by the syrup in bottles. Just personal taste.
I'm sorry you didn't have a good time at griddle in the middle, maybe it was the parking lot and gravel that made its first bad impression.
I invite others who might be looking foe an enjoyable time at breakfast with or without you children to thy us.. I think you will join the many others who have had a good time and a great meal with us
Jimmy G is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy G For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (06-20-2012), CGI3 (06-20-2012), diz (06-20-2012), Janet (06-20-2012), jerseyonbear (08-05-2012), MaidenCove07 (08-21-2012), RailroadJoe (06-20-2012)
Old 06-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #9
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy G View Post
I very seldomly reply to online revues but in defense of our rest. I will. First o.j. Is $2.25. If i wanted to sell an oj inexpensive mixture i could. But we prefer tropicana. More expensive but, in my opinion, really worth the extra expense.
Second... The concept of the rest. Is that each customer have a fun time. It's not a chore to flip pancakes or scramble an egg. We have done this for a number of reason. First .. It actually makes breakfast a social interchange. People talk to one another.. They laugh, they applaud when a big pancake is flipped.. It's really a great time.. Most of our customers , even those from bike week, really enjoyed themselves.
Our servers are there to help.. Sorry you didn't receive the attention for which we strive.i wish i knew who served you.
Most times when you go out for breakfast you get your food.. It gets cold by the time your partially finished. At the griddle your food is piping hot at all times. You pace your food. If all you want to do is go get some food.. There are a lot of places in meredith.
Our syrup-- it is thin, by commercial standards.. It's not vermont maid.. Aunt jemima.. We don't use corn syrup to make it pour thicker... I think, my personal taste, its lighter and adds more flavor to the pancake. Not that it matters , we have had a nuber of customers actually want to by the syrup in bottles. Just personal taste.
I'm sorry you didn't have a good time at griddle in the middle, maybe it was the parking lot and gravel that made its first bad impression.
I invite others who might be looking foe an enjoyable time at breakfast with or without you children to thy us.. I think you will join the many others who have had a good time and a great meal with us
Jimmy:

Thanks for your reply. I understand the concept but don't find it appealing since I view breakfast/brunch as a leisurely endeavor. For some folks looking for entertainment I'm sure it is a good take but for me and many others it won't work. That being said, I give you bonus points for such a novel idea. Good luck.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:17 AM   #10
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Jimmy:

Thanks for your reply. I understand the concept but don't find it appealing since I view breakfast/brunch as a leisurely endeavor. For some folks looking for entertainment I'm sure it is a good take but for me and many others it won't work. That being said, I give you bonus points for such a novel idea. Good luck.
Personally I have to agree but again thanks for responding. I must say I do agree with the O.J. I only like the best also, for me it's usually Floridas Natural. It is amazing how the prices get flipped around by people isn't it? Anyhow good luck...
Old 06-21-2012, 07:20 AM   #11
Happy Gourmand

Default Breakfast

I never gave this concept much thought till now. If it's just my wife and I, or if we are with another couple, I think my preference is a traditional restaurant. However, with the grandkids, I think this would be an awesome experience and am very anxious to give it a shot. They love to help with pancakes at home so I think it might be fun for them, and us, to have this breakfast experience.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:23 AM   #12
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
I never gave this concept much thought till now. If it's just my wife and I, or if we are with another couple, I think my preference is a traditional restaurant. However, with the grandkids, I think this would be an awesome experience and am very anxious to give it a shot. They love to help with pancakes at home so I think it might be fun for them, and us, to have this breakfast experience.
Yeah plus if they spill anything it's not on your floor!
Old 06-26-2012, 06:40 PM   #13
Newfie

Smile

We went today after reading about it on the forum- we were actually very excited about the concept of cooking our own breakfast (including 3 kids age 17, 21 and 23). It was fun, the food was great, and the server was also friendly and attentive. Would definitely recommend!
Newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #14
camp guy

Default Griddle in the Middle

I just had lunch with my daughter and her two little ones (4 1/2 & almost 2) and we had a blast. I had read this thread, knew exactly what we were getting into, and we enjoyed every minute of it. When you are almost 2, there is nothing like a blueberry pancake with whipped cream spread from ear to ear to make your day.

Besides the pancakes, my daughter and I ventured into "eggs any style" as long as you cook them. We had plenty of "parts and pieces" to add to our egg offerings.

Oh, did I mention, the little one ate for free!! That's a bonus.

While we were there other groups came in, actually, mostly teens and adults, and from the sound of things, they all were enjoying their experience.

We will definitely return for another adventure.

Thanks to the extremely pleasant staff, and thanks to the owner who came and spoke with us.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
Jumbie98 (07-15-2012)
Old 08-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #15
vmartino26

Do they make any provision for children with peanut allergies?
vmartino26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:30 AM   #16
Belmont Resident

Default Great idea.

But for me and my wife breakfast is a get in get out and do what we have to do meal and we are usually looking to be in the $5.00 range.
Great concept though especially as a way to entertain the little ones and as mentioned not have to clean up the mess.
Hope you do well.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #17
jerseyonbear

Default Ejoyable

My daughter and 3 kids 6-14 had lunch there this week had a lot of fun and said the food was very good.
jerseyonbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #18
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
But for me and my wife breakfast is a get in get out and do what we have to do meal and we are usually looking to be in the $5.00 range.
Great concept though especially as a way to entertain the little ones and as mentioned not have to clean up the mess.
Hope you do well.
$5.00?................I think your best bet is to stay home and make your own breakfast!!
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (08-05-2012)
Old 08-05-2012, 11:23 AM   #19
winniplayhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmartino26 View Post
Do they make any provision for children with peanut allergies?
My mother has a peanut allergy and has eaten there twice with no problems. The times I've been there I've been struck by how clean the place is. Given the mess that kids (and adults!) probably make on those griddles, each time I've been it's been spotless. So unless someone at your own table orders nuts and puts them on the griddle at the same time, I'd think you'd be okay.
winniplayhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #20
Silverdale

Default Not too sure about this place.

Ate there this a.m. Food was good, but not better than homemade. We are not big eaters so had a problem with their "no sharing" policy. Would try it again if we could share. Also, it was VERY noisy. Not a peaceful meal.
Silverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:32 AM   #21
Overlake97

Default Still open, and seem to be doing well.

I went to the "griddle" back in 2012, when these posts ended, and it was OK. Pancakes definitely great! That's what I mainly remembered. But I now drive by them every day and they always seem to have 6 to 8 cars in the lot, and their sign implies that they've expanded the menu or concept, or something. For example, sign always advertises lobster benedict, which they did not do back in 2012. Anyone been there recently who can comment on changes since 2012?
Overlake97 is offline   Reply With Quote