Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2010, 07:28 AM   #1
Meredith Resident

Default State AG should be investigated

It has been over a week since the murder of Roberta Miller in Gilford. The state AG once again has been tight lipped, and in my mind incompetent about releasing any information about this case. I think the public should demand some answers. We deserve to know what happened here, as taxpayers, but the lack of communication and press conferences to the media shows the continued lack of ability that this state has when it comes to investigating murders. Look at the case in Wolfeboro, which is still unsolved. Look at the murder in Meredith. It took months for the public to get any information abouth that case, and still we haven't heard the full story. Just yesterday there was another death in Auburn, and the state AG takes their standard line of "These are two suspicious deaths." I applaud the Gilford selectmen for their outrage with the lack of answers in the Gilford matter, and encourage you all to write to your elected officials about this dysfunctional state AG department.
Meredith Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Meredith Resident For This Useful Post:
CGI3 (11-11-2010), Lakesrider (11-09-2010), tis (11-09-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 08:02 AM   #2
songkrai

The AG in this state does not have a good track record.

LINK
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to songkrai For This Useful Post:
Meredith Resident (11-12-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 08:22 AM   #3
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

While heartedly agree. Now down in Auburn? New Hampshire.....The new get away with murder state....
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:25 AM   #4
old coot
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredith Resident View Post
It has been over a week since the murder of Roberta Miller in Gilford. The state AG once again has been tight lipped, and in my mind incompetent about releasing any information about this case. I think the public should demand some answers. We deserve to know what happened here, as taxpayers, but the lack of communication and press conferences to the media shows the continued lack of ability that this state has when it comes to investigating murders. Look at the case in Wolfeboro, which is still unsolved. Look at the murder in Meredith. It took months for the public to get any information abouth that case, and still we haven't heard the full story. Just yesterday there was another death in Auburn, and the state AG takes their standard line of "These are two suspicious deaths." I applaud the Gilford selectmen for their outrage with the lack of answers in the Gilford matter, and encourage you all to write to your elected officials about this dysfunctional state AG department.
Over a week? Terrible, except in comparison to the Mother's Day 2008 murder of Stacey Burns in Wolfeboro. No significant details of that investigation (if there is one) have ever been released by State Officials.
It seems obvious to me that if the investigators in the Major Crimes Unit and Attorney General's Office were doing their job, they should have something to say. I'm tired of the "compromising the investigation" excuse for their silence.
Can't we throw the bums out?
old coot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Something people need to remember is if the police or AG are actively investigating they don't really have to release much information. Especially if they believe it will taint there case, or cause someone to flea. I understand the aggravation of having these things happen in your backyard. However I would rather allow the people in the AG and police departments do their jobs, then to make them figure out what can and can't be allowed out in the press.
Grady223 (11-10-2010), Heaven (11-09-2010), ILoveWinnipesaukee (11-10-2010), secondcurve (11-09-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2010, 11:41 AM   #6
tis

Thanked 1,378 Times in 954 Posts

So how many years are we supposed to wait for an arrest, LIfor? In the case of Bobbie, it is new so we can't expect too much too soon. However, Stacey's case has gone on way too long. I don't care if they tell us details, just find out who is guilty.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:22 PM   #7
MarkinNH

Yup, my life won't be complete unless I know what every detail of what happened in Gilford and know it RIGHT NOW !!!
I mean SO WHAT if it's an ongoing investigation and they can't or won't release information until they figured it all out, dotted the I's and crossed the T's and have built their case solidly so that whomever committed the crime won't get away with it due to some loop hole or leaked info. They have to tell us Everything RIGHT NOW, because we are entitled as NH residents !
MarkinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #8
SumoDog

Yes it is frustrating waiting for answers - what is enjoyable is watching Stephen Spader being found guilty on all six counts - hopefully one day (soon) Ms. Burn's and Ms. Miller's families can hear the same words directed at the guilty party. In the mean time it does no one any good to continue to spread false rumors, speculation and innuendo - there are families and friends in local communities - show some class and respect towards them and stop with the vicious rumors.
SumoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:37 PM   #9
jrc

They got the Mont Vernon case right, at least the first guy.
http://www.wmur.com/mont-vernon/index.html
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:39 PM   #10
MarkinNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog View Post
Yes it is frustrating waiting for answers - what is enjoyable is watching Stephen Spader being found guilty on all six counts - hopefully one day (soon) Ms. Burn's and Ms. Miller's families can hear the same words directed at the guilty party. In the mean time it does no one any good to continue to spread false rumors, speculation and innuendo - there are families and friends in local communities - show some class and respect towards them and stop with the vicious rumors.
Yes ! Spader should be taken out to the nearest dump and made to dig his own hole ! I would love to see him suffer the same amount of whacks with a machette as he inflicted on his victims. See how he likes it.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:22 PM   #11
camp guy

Slow down, everybody, take a step back and breathe deeply. I share your frustration, particularly in the Stacy Burns case, but I'd rather the investigation be slow and thorough than a "rush to judgment" which may prove wrong in the final analysis.

I think we are all watching just a little too much crime scene TV and forget that in real life things take longer than 38 minutes to solve. (I say this as a TV watcher myself.)

My guess is that the police and AG know a lot more than we give them credit for (at least I hope so), and, given the complexity of some of these cases, there are a lot of "i's" to dot and "t's" to cross before the case is solved.

My two cents worth ?: Let's not use this Forum the beat up on the officials.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
Heaven (11-09-2010), KPW (11-04-2011), secondcurve (11-09-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 05:54 PM   #12
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts

I think what bothers me the most is the small towns in which these horrific murders are occurring in... Wolfboro, Auburn, Mont Vernon, Gilford. All picturesque, quaint, small New Hampshire towns that should be the epitome of small town peaceful living. The horrendous events that have occurred in these towns simply shakes me to the core. What the heck is happening to New Hampshire??...

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:26 PM   #13
old coot
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
Slow down, everybody, take a step back and breathe deeply. I share your frustration, particularly in the Stacy Burns case, but I'd rather the investigation be slow and thorough than a "rush to judgment" which may prove wrong in the final analysis.

I think we are all watching just a little too much crime scene TV and forget that in real life things take longer than 38 minutes to solve. (I say this as a TV watcher myself.)

My guess is that the police and AG know a lot more than we give them credit for (at least I hope so), and, given the complexity of some of these cases, there are a lot of "i's" to dot and "t's" to cross before the case is solved.

My two cents worth ?: Let's not use this Forum the beat up on the officials.
Too bad you have to resort to guessing Camp Guy. If Stacey Burns' murder had taken place back when Fred Long was Wolfeboro's resident County Sheriff, the murderer would be behind bars and there'd be no guesswork required. I see nothing wrong with using a forum such as this one to communicate my displeasure with public servants.
old coot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:07 PM   #14
Natt

Don't forget Pittsburg. That's really small and out of the way.
Natt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Natt For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (11-09-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 08:22 PM   #15
vmartino26

Default Spader Guilty!

I know things haven't been going well for the Attorney General in NH with some unsolved crimes, Wolfeboro, Gilford, et cetera, but things clearly went well with the Spader prosecution. And we can expect the same verdict in February when his partner in crime goes to trial.

Just think of it -- Spader turned 19 today. He could live to be an old man in jail. And think of all the fun he'll have. I'm sure the inmates will greet him with open arms.

While the death penalty would be quicker and ultimately save the taxpayers some money, the thought of Spader sitting in a jail cell for sixty years just rotting away is not a bad thought.

My thoughts go out to him victims tonight. I hope this day has brought some small measure of closure.
vmartino26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:58 PM   #16
gravy boat

Default Logic

To the entitled ones:

Ongoing investigations are just that. What's the hurry? Would you rather have a compromised investigation just to have your curiosity satisfied? And THEN would you complain that the officials botched the job? Please..tell me that you prefer justice over drama...please?

(sigh)

GB
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gravy boat For This Useful Post:
Heaven (11-10-2010), LIforrelaxin (11-10-2010), Rose (11-10-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 11:09 PM   #17
Mr. V

Question

I don't understand the role of the state attorney general in criminal cases.

Why doesn't the county prosecuting attorney handle potential capital murder cases?

They do out here, and pretty much everywhere else, so far as I know.

Seems ... strange.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:00 AM   #18
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmartino26 View Post
I know things haven't been going well for the Attorney General in NH with some unsolved crimes, Wolfeboro, Gilford, et cetera, but things clearly went well with the Spader prosecution. And we can expect the same verdict in February when his partner in crime goes to trial.

Just think of it -- Spader turned 19 today. He could live to be an old man in jail. And think of all the fun he'll have. I'm sure the inmates will greet him with open arms.

While the death penalty would be quicker and ultimately save the taxpayers some money, the thought of Spader sitting in a jail cell for sixty years just rotting away is not a bad thought.

My thoughts go out to him victims tonight. I hope this day has brought some small measure of closure.
In NH if a person kills a police officer they can be sentenced to death, but if they kill an innocent victim ( in their own home minding their own business) they get life in prison. I don't get it. If anyone should get sentenced to death it should be Spader. The law needs to be changed!
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:16 AM   #19
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
In NH if a person kills a police officer they can be sentenced to death, but if they kill an innocent victim ( in their own home minding their own business) they get life in prison. I don't get it. If anyone should get sentenced to death it should be Spader. The law needs to be changed!
Couldn't have said it better, but its not only NH that does this.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:47 AM   #20
RailroadJoe

Thank the lawyers for the stupid law that allows any murderer to spend life in jail instead of just shooting them, Cruel and unusual punishment. Bah Humbug on that thought. Get rid of slime that does not have any care for life. Too many still living that should have been gone.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:54 AM   #21
tis

I know Wolfeboro women who feel nervous. Someone told me she was afraid to be in her house alone. Stacey first, now Bobbie. Don't forget Bobbie lived in Wolfeboro for many years until just recently buying the house in Gilford. We at least deserve to know if we should all be afraid, don't you think? What if they weren't crimes of passion?
Old 11-10-2010, 08:36 AM   #22
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
Since when is a police officers life worth more than ANY other citizen?!! Nothing at all against law enforcement, but a life is a life and worthiness should not be determined by ones employment.

I agree G.B. the law needs to be changed!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:43 AM   #23
tis

I have nothing against police officers either, but have often wondered why their lives are so much more important than the rest of us.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:45 AM   #24
MarkinNH

Don't Postal Workers fall under the same legal ruling as Law Enforcement ?
Old 11-10-2010, 02:57 PM   #25
John A. Birdsall

Default Death or jail

In CT they just sentenced Hayes to death. However he will more than likely die in jail of old age before they get a chance to do it. Seems to me that the appeal process takes too long. Michael Ross was on Death Row for over 20 years This is not right. A person sentenced to die should be executed within 30 days of his conviction. Why should the state pay for his housing, meals, medical etc. Put him in a cell, give him bread and water (week old bread) and let him rot.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:03 PM   #26
topwater

The State doesn't pay, WE do!!.
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:30 PM   #27
GM doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by old coot View Post
Too bad you have to resort to guessing Camp Guy. If Stacey Burns' murder had taken place back when Fred Long was Wolfeboro's resident County Sheriff, the murderer would be behind bars and there'd be no guesswork required. I see nothing wrong with using a forum such as this one to communicate my displeasure with public servants.
OK, WHO DID IT? Run to the cops and HELP THEM SOLVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOUR so sure on the subject! Have you! talked to the police?
GM doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:47 PM   #28
CGI3

Logic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To the entitled ones:

Ongoing investigations are just that. What's the hurry? Would you rather have a compromised investigation just to have your curiosity satisfied? And THEN would you complain that the officials botched the job? Please..tell me that you prefer justice over drama...please?

Whats the hurry?? Your joking, right? Some nutbag out there, on the lose that killed a women, and her dog, and your asking whats the hurry??? Compromise an investigation? Let them take their time. And how much time is appropriate? 2, 3, 4 years. You want to kill someone. Do it in the state of NH. Just don't be stupid enough to leave your wallet behind, and you should be all set.
CGI3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CGI3 For This Useful Post:
Meredith Resident (11-12-2010), old coot (11-11-2010)
Old 11-11-2010, 06:45 AM   #29
TOAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Birdsall View Post
In CT they just sentenced Hayes to death. However he will more than likely die in jail of old age before they get a chance to do it. Seems to me that the appeal process takes too long. Michael Ross was on Death Row for over 20 years This is not right. A person sentenced to die should be executed within 30 days of his conviction. Why should the state pay for his housing, meals, medical etc. Put him in a cell, give him bread and water (week old bread) and let him rot.
"Justice delayed is justice denied".
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
TOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:27 AM   #30
tis

I agree, it is ridiculous that someone can be in jail for twenty years before they are executed. On the other hand, God forbid someone is innocent.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:05 AM   #31
Wolfester

Default They obviously need help

There is far more information released to the press in other states, even including naming suspects. The information can be helpful on so many levels. A witness observing a certain model car on the side of the road at a certain hour may be an unremarkable/forgetable event untill they see something on the news. A person selling a certain type firearm in a private sale may think nothing of it untill he sees that that type firearm was used, etc. There are just so many unremarkable events that people observe every day that can only become remarkable when they see something on the news. Other jurisdictions know what info to release to the media to get the public's help. It is certainly obvious in these cases they need help.

The comment that the public is not in danger is ridiculous. If a person kills when they are in a certain personal situation, they are likely dangerous if they get involved with another person is a similar situation, Probably more likely since evidently it is unlikely that they will be caught.
Wolfester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wolfester For This Useful Post:
Meredith Resident (11-12-2010)
Old 11-12-2010, 07:26 AM   #32
Meredith Resident

Default A Great Opinion Article in The Citizen

Let's give thanks to The Citizen for standing up to this nonsense!

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll.../-1/CITOPINION
Old 11-14-2010, 09:05 PM   #33
nj2nh

One - the AG is not required to release any information to any one at any time. Two, to do so would probably violate some law or another. Three and most importantly - releasing information could and most likely would jeopardize the investigation. Very often, information is withheld in order to substantiate claims made my witnesses or, less often, people who confess. If there is information that is withheld, then the claims or statements made by witnesses and others can be compared with the known facts. If all information was released, then anyone could say anything and the police wouldn't know if what was told to them was witnessed or heard on TV.

The public is most definitely NOT entitled to know everything about everything. To think that you do is arrogant and short-sighted.

The police can't do their jobs if they have to tell the public everything. Take this as the gospel truth from a former prosecutor and current defense attorney who appreciates that the police keep their mouths shut. Without their public silence, justice would be hard to find. They can save it for the courtroom. The newsroom is not where the info should be.

nj2nh
Old 11-14-2010, 09:10 PM   #34
nj2nh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmartino26 View Post
It costs far less to leave someone to rot in jail for 30 or 40 years that it does to prosecute and appeal a death penalty case. It is most definitely not a way to save money. I worked on a death penalty case in NJ that cost millions of dollars before the death penalty was overturned. What a shameful waste of money.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:16 PM   #35
nj2nh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I have nothing against police officers either, but have often wondered why their lives are so much more important than the rest of us.
The whole point of the death penalty is deterence. It isn't that society values the police more or an eye for an eye or anything like that. It's that they are more likely to end up killed during the course of a crime. So, to deter those commiting a crime from killing a police officer they made that one of the inflating elements.

And, please, stop blaming the lawyers. It is the legislatures that pass these laws and most of them are NOT lawyers. It is lobbying groups that push for these statutes - conservative, powerful lobbying groups. Not the lawyers. Lawyers HATE the death penalty - too hard to prove, too expensive, and, ultimately, too pointless since the courts in some states (NJ, CT, etc.) will never uphold a capital case.

And, for what it is worth, wouldn't you really rather end your life than spend 20, 30, 40 or however many years you have left in jail? Death is a preferable alternative to life in prison with no possibility of parole.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:16 AM   #36
RailroadJoe

If you can try a person twice when found guilty, why can't you try him twice when found innocent? Double jeopardy?
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:46 AM   #37
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Update...

It's sad that this case seems to have dropped off the radar. Maybe someone will come forward.

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...WS03/710269987
Old 10-27-2011, 08:03 AM   #38
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Seems strange to me. It's pretty clear that all these recent murders involved either a family member or someone known to the victim and yet, not one of them has been solved.
Because of the lack of information, many feel that there are crazed murderers out there slaughtering innocent people.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #39
MarkinNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Seems strange to me. It's pretty clear that all these recent murders involved either a family member or someone known to the victim and yet, not one of them has been solved.
Because of the lack of information, many feel that there are crazed murderers out there slaughtering innocent people.
I do feel bad for the family and loved ones of the victims that are still unable to find closure but I have to scratch my head at some posts that come across as having fear for their safety. I don't think that the Lakes Region has to many serial killers running around it.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:26 AM   #40
SIKSUKR

I dont know how I missed this one. I just found out that Roberta was a classmate a few years ahead of me. I graduated with her brother and just saw him the other day. Never made the connection because she was known to me as Bobbi.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:49 PM   #41
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I dont know how I missed this one. I just found out that Roberta was a classmate a few years ahead of me. I graduated with her brother and just saw him the other day. Never made the connection because she was known to me as Bobbi.
We knew her as Bobbi too ( in Wolfeboro) so I guess she never changed that. I actually called her Bobbi in a previous post. Roberta just doesn't fit her. She was such a nice person.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:24 PM   #42
Meredith Resident

As my original post on 11/9/10 suggests, the state AG should be investigated by an independent task force of some sort, and people should demand this.

Case in point:

1.) Stacey Burns murder
2.) Roberta Miller murder
3.) Celina Cass murder (I thought for sure they would get this one)

Thinking back to the Roberta Miller murder, I recall the frustration that the Gilford selectmen and administrators experienced with getting any information from investigators. In fact, Scott Dunn, & Gus Benavides both publically expressed their frustrations with state AG investigators and actually sent an email to Ray Burton for help. I actually dug up this article from the Citizen:

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll...9943/0/CITIZEN