Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2018, 03:44 PM   #1
Eyeboat

Default Garmin 942 9" vs Raymarine Axiom 9"

Any thoughts much appreciated. Also interested in transducer suggestions. I want good detail so thinking 200KHz CHIRP, scanning and sideview look to be very nice options as well.
Eyeboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 04:08 PM   #2
mhtranger

Helpful if you tell us what you are fishing for and boat type. I bass fish and like Lowrance or Garmin. I just picked up a Hook2 7 and an Elite ti for mine to replace an older Lowrance HDS and cant wait till the ice is gone. As far as transducers are concerned I just use what came with the unit.
Just my .02
mhtranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:15 PM   #3
Eyeboat

Thanks for reply. I have a 24' fishing/family sport. Plan to fish inland lakes for salmon, lakers, rainbows, bass, you name it. Merc has a trolling feature but I believe it is too fast, no kicker yet, looking into outriggers.
Eyeboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:08 AM   #4
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeboat View Post
Thanks for reply. I have a 24' fishing/family sport. Plan to fish inland lakes for salmon, lakers, rainbows, bass, you name it. Merc has a trolling feature but I believe it is too fast, no kicker yet, looking into outriggers.
Do you mean DOWN riggers?
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:08 AM   #5
Rich

Be sure to look at the charts also.

I have a Raymarine and use the Navionics chart on the lake. Navionics has been very responsive and updated their chart when I have reported a few minor updates/issues to them. The changes were accepted and I could then update my own charts. Also, I believe that Navionics chart is related to the Biizer chart data. You also can get a cell phone app with the same Navionics charts on them, this is good for planning and other purposes. You can see their actual chart data online via their website if you want to review it, or for trip planning purposes.

Garmin uses their own charts, and has been locking out 3rd party charts lately on their newer MFDs (so you can't buy a Bizer chart for your Garmin even if you wanted it). But recently Garmin purchased Navionics, so I'm not sure what this will mean in the long term? Maybe they will allow a Navionics chart option, or will they absorb the Navionics chart database into their own charts? I like a lot of the Garmin products, but know and love the Navionics charts, so I'm torn.

I'm considering updating my much older MFD so I have been looking at the two manufacturers also.

I'm not fishing, so I don't know how the sonar compares, I'm more interested in navigation and other cruising features. The Axiom 9 has been looking very attractive to me.
Sponsored Links