Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2024, 09:49 AM   #1
ApS

Unhappy When TV Brings Misinformation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
I can't remember Penny, but your Derek Chauvin reference is gross misinformation. He was convicted of murder and sent away for 20+ years. He is a disgrace to the police, and he made the lives of decent hard-working officers all over the country much more difficult.
That "information" was seen on every TV.

(...and why my TV has been stored in the attic for 20 years...).

Penny is a former U.S. Marine who's in jail for doing what many of us wish we could have done to protect our citizenry.

End of story...

The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
gravy boat (03-21-2024)
Old 03-17-2024, 10:42 AM   #2
Cobaltdeadhead

There is nothing "by the book" about Chauvin kneeling on Floyd's neck for 9 minutes.

If you believe that those policing tactics are lawful, produce an official manual from any PD that says so.

Note: I am not defending Floyd and his history of criminal behavior.
Old 03-17-2024, 10:51 AM   #3
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltdeadhead View Post
There is nothing "by the book" about Chauvin kneeling on Floyd's neck for 9 minutes.

If you believe that those policing tactics are lawful, produce an official manual from any PD that says so.

Note: I am not defending Floyd and his history of criminal behavior.
You really need to watch the documentary. It was by the book. It is how police are taught to restrain an uncooperative (to put it mildly) suspect. His knee was NOT on his neck. The autopsy confirmed no restriction of blood flow caused by the hold contributed to his death. The first autopsy opined that fentanyl most likely caused death. Floyd was a physical mess and most likely would have died from the stress of the situation. Again, watch the documentary.
Old 03-17-2024, 10:58 AM   #4
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
You really need to watch the documentary. It was by the book. It is how police are taught to restrain an uncooperative (to put it mildly) suspect. His knee was NOT on his neck. The autopsy confirmed no restriction of blood flow caused by the hold contributed to his death. The first autopsy opined that fentanyl most likely caused death. Floyd was a physical mess and most likely would have died from the stress of the situation. Again, watch the documentary.
Then Chauvin had a terrible lawyer and that should be blamed on Chauvin.
Our Jury System isn't perfect... but it is the best the world has to offer.
Old 03-17-2024, 11:07 AM   #5
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
Then Chauvin had a terrible lawyer and that should be blamed on Chauvin.
Our Jury System isn't perfect... but it is the best the world has to offer.
His lawyer could have performed better, but the system was stacked against him. The court did not want to hear the defense. So much of the defense's evidence was not introduced in trial. Plus, even if the jury thought he was innocent, they were being outed and would have had their own homes burned down if they came to a different conclusion. We've seen lots and lots of recent litigations that begged for changes in venue, this one demanded it. Have you seen the documentary?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2024, 11:56 AM   #6
John Mercier

Quote:
His lawyer could have performed better, but the system was stacked against him. The court did not want to hear the defense. So much of the defense's evidence was not introduced in trial. Plus, even if the jury thought he was innocent, they were being outed and would have had their own homes burned down if they came to a different conclusion. We've seen lots and lots of recent litigations that begged for changes in venue, this one demanded it. Have you seen the documentary?
No. I don't focus on other areas.

I seldom focus on NH as a whole... but realize that the power of what can be done locally is usually a factor of the Legislature and its decisions.

But that isn't what is effecting the amount of labor that we have in the area.
For Laconia, you'd be better off becoming a Public Works employee... go for a CDL, and then take a position in local private businesses that pay even more than you could make as a LEO.
Old 03-17-2024, 11:05 AM   #7
Cobaltdeadhead

Quote:
No offense, but do you need glasses? I've watched the video plenty and his knee absolutely was on the back of Floyd's neck.

And even if I agreed with your POV that he wasn't kneeling on his neck, the man could have been cuffed and immobilized moments after the officer was on top of him. Not 9 minutes.

Chauvin screwed up big time and now he's paying the price. We don't need that kind of cop or policing in our society.
Old 03-17-2024, 11:11 AM   #8
Major

Quote:
No offense, but do you need glasses? I've watched the video plenty and his knee absolutely was on the back of Floyd's neck.

And even if I agreed with your POV that he wasn't kneeling on his neck, the man could have been cuffed and immobilized moments after the officer was on top of him. Not 9 minutes.

Chauvin screwed up big time and now he's paying the price. We don't need that kind of cop or policing in our society.
You obviously have not seen the entire 25+ minute video or the documentary. Until you see these there is no point arguing with you. (BTW, at the beginning of the video, Floyd was handcuffed and immobilized in the police car, but was acting like a lunatic, so they removed him from the car.)
Old 03-17-2024, 12:00 PM   #9
Cobaltdeadhead

Quote:
You obviously have not seen the entire 25+ minute video or the documentary. Until you see these there is no point arguing with you. (BTW, at the beginning of the video, Floyd was handcuffed and immobilized in the police car, but was acting like a lunatic, so they removed him from the car.)
I can also say, until you produce me a handbook stating that Chauvin's actions for those 9 minutes was "by the book", it's of little point discussing this with you further. The onus is on you to back up your claim with proof.

That proof is not some documentary that likely has a tremendous amount of bias. Who made it? Project Veritas?

What happened outside of those 9 minutes does not matter. Floyd could have had his wrists and legs cuffed rendering him immobilized once Chauvin was on top of him and controlled. There were 3 other officers that could have applied that restraint while Chauvin had him pinned. Period. End of story.

Chauvin absolutely screwed up and deserves what he got. I have a half dozen relatives in law enforcement and they all say the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cobaltdeadhead For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (03-18-2024)
Old 03-17-2024, 01:26 PM   #10
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
I can also say, until you produce me a handbook stating that Chauvin's actions for those 9 minutes was "by the book", it's of little point discussing this with you further. The onus is on you to back up your claim with proof.
As they say, without facts and data you’re just another person with an opinion!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 03-17-2024, 03:14 PM   #11
Mr. V

I've sympathy for people who are homeless due to bad breaks, e.g. loss of job, divorce: but I've zero sympathy for those who are homeless due to addiction to hard drugs, e.g. meth and / or fentanyl.

Can we all agree that there is no real benefit, either to them or to society, while they are getting wasted and homeless?

If so...how to effectively address the problem?

The so-called "War on Drugs" didn't do it, and decriminalizing it has been an epic failure here in Portland, Oregon.

Ultimately the government will need to force these people into some form of involuntary treatment and rehab program, and I fear that our liberal interpretation of our "liberty interest" from the Constitution may prevent this.

Perhaps the right test case to the USSC would bear fruit?
Old 03-17-2024, 08:52 PM   #12
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
I've sympathy for people who are homeless due to bad breaks, e.g. loss of job, divorce: but I've zero sympathy for those who are homeless due to addiction to hard drugs, e.g. meth and / or fentanyl.

Can we all agree that there is no real benefit, either to them or to society, while they are getting wasted and homeless?

If so...how to effectively address the problem?

The so-called "War on Drugs" didn't do it, and decriminalizing it has been an epic failure here in Portland, Oregon.

Ultimately the government will need to force these people into some form of involuntary treatment and rehab program, and I fear that our liberal interpretation of our "liberty interest" from the Constitution may prevent this.

Perhaps the right test case to the USSC would bear fruit?
We have always had that interpretation... it isn't considered liberal.

They don't even need to be addicted to ''hard'' drugs.
Someone that drinks obsessively... and that is a very low level of consumption... spends money toward something that puts their license and livelihood at risk. The number of people that I know that have lost their license astounds me.
The number of people addicted to nicotine... again astounds me.
And if you watch rental adds, no smokers and no pets are the number one restrictions.
Even with pets, I have watched people try to choose the pet over their own well being.

And how many homeowners with a large unexpected repair would be able to foot the bill and not start down the path to ruin?
Old 03-17-2024, 04:23 PM   #13
Major

Quote:

That proof is not some documentary that likely has a tremendous amount of bias. Who made it? Project Veritas?

What happened outside of those 9 minutes does not matter. Floyd could have had his wrists and legs cuffed rendering him immobilized once Chauvin was on top of him and controlled. There were 3 other officers that could have applied that restraint while Chauvin had him pinned. Period. End of story.

Chauvin absolutely screwed up and deserves what he got. I have a half dozen relatives in law enforcement and they all say the same.
I guess I could turn it around on you. Show me a handbook, rule or regulation that says 9 minutes is excessive. I am not an expert on law enforcement, but I suspect it’s based on a reasonableness standard. In light of Floyd’s behavior prior to being detained by Chauvin, certainly his actions could be considered reasonable.

Most (no all) of the people I know who actually saw the documentary think Chauvin got a raw deal, so I guess we’re even.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (03-17-2024)
Old 03-17-2024, 05:11 PM   #14
LoveLakeLife

Quote:

Well I guess that’s that. The “Period” AND “End of story” doctrines have both been invoked. Q.E.D.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LoveLakeLife For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (03-17-2024), Major (03-17-2024), Waterbaby (03-18-2024)
Old 03-17-2024, 09:05 PM   #15
ApS

Cool Happy to Do Any Needed Research...

Quote:
There is nothing "by the book" about Chauvin kneeling on Floyd's neck for 9 minutes. If you believe that those policing tactics are lawful, produce an official manual from any PD that says so. Note: I am not defending Floyd and his history of criminal behavior.
1) [CNN] Adam Bercovici, a retired Los Angeles Police Department lieutenant who works as an expert witness in police use of force cases, agreed that Minneapolis should ban neck restraints.

2) A Medical Examiner said, "If you had brought Floyd's body for my examination without a backstory, I would have advised that Floyd died of advanced atherosclerosis and fentanyl overdose". (One might gasp at the method by which he took that last dose).

'Happy to Google that comment and any other comment one might bring to a forum.

Ever notice that an increasing number of news-sources have "comments are disabled" after recent news stories?

Closed Thread