Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-18-2011, 03:56 PM   #1
jims

Default high performance diesel shop

looking to have some work done on a 2003 ford deisel engine ,any high performance deisel shops in the lakes region or so nh, ma
jims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims View Post
looking to have some work done on a 2003 ford deisel engine ,any high performance deisel shops in the lakes region or so nh, ma
Finding a good private non dealer diesel repair shop is very hard these days. The one place I can recommend is in Weare, NH and is called "Diesel Dons Truck Service" 603-529-1777. My company used them when we tried out diesel vans and pickups as company vehicles a few years ago. They were pretty decent.

Good Luck!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
WeirsBeachBoater

Call Craig at CFO in Meredith, I know he has a hot rod Duramax. 603-279-9059
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:12 PM   #4
Belmont Resident

Default What do you need done.

I use Winnipesaukee truck for all my deisel needs.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:01 PM   #5
jims

Angry rebuild top end

looking to correct engine design flaws , delete egr system ,replace head bolts with studs ,replace oil cooler ,new head gaskets ,install new turbo ,air intake $2300 in parts +labor
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2011, 07:30 PM   #6
VitaBene

Thanked 1,607 Times in 822 Posts

Call Larson's Diesel Performance. He works with his grandfather at Larson's Automotive on Airport Road in Moultonborough.

I was able to google and find them on Facebook
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:52 AM   #7
HomeWood

Quote:
looking to correct engine design flaws , delete egr system ,replace head bolts with studs ,replace oil cooler ,new head gaskets ,install new turbo ,air intake $2300 in parts +labor
All good things to do on a 6.0 liter Powerstroke.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:18 AM   #8
Belmont Resident

Default 2300?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWood View Post
All good things to do on a 6.0 liter Powerstroke.
I need to have all my injectors replaced, possibly the injector control module and a new turbo. The cost for injectors is $2300, new turbo $1000 and if needed control module $750.
I was going to buy a new one but I’ll be damned if I’m going to give Ford any more money. I’ll pay someone else to fix the problems.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:42 AM   #9
jims

Default repair parts costs

i priced out some top end rebuild kits from some online deisel shops and found the pricing was better in kit and package form .(www.pure deiselpower.com)they have two top end rebuild kits one at $1349 one at $1849 , turbos starting at $1000 .this is for my work truck , i hope i dont have to replace the injectors $$$$$$$$$ .i might get a programmer and do a new air intake if all goes well with the repairs .
Old 11-19-2011, 09:04 AM   #10
robbsracingengines

Theres a guy here in the Nashua area that is a mad scientist with the Ford diesels. His name is Johnny K. He is well known in this area as the go to diesel guy. Pm me for his number if you want it.
robbsracingengines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:40 AM   #11
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Guy from Mass.

There was a guy from Mass. who had a high performance boat with twin diesels. He owns a diesel shop in Mass and repairs big rigs as well as small. The two diesels in his boats were his passion and the boat sings like the 4 strokes. He was able to hit 80 mph in half the rpm as the 4 strokes! The motors diesel smell is very faint with no smoke!

He was telling me he can double the torque of any factory motor with few hardware modifications and a 'shot' at the ecu. It doesn't take much as the factory worries about reliability during the warrantee period.

Unfortunately I haven't seen him since the law was passed. =(
Old 11-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #12
Belmont Resident

Default mine is a work truck also

Quote:
i priced out some top end rebuild kits from some online deisel shops and found the pricing was better in kit and package form .(www.pure deiselpower.com)they have two top end rebuild kits one at $1349 one at $1849 , turbos starting at $1000 .this is for my work truck , i hope i dont have to replace the injectors $$$$$$$$$ .i might get a programmer and do a new air intake if all goes well with the repairs .
I had injector problems from the get go but Ford said all was well until they finally died completely.
I hope Ford finally got it right with the new motor.
It’s sad when you pay so much for a truck that has soooo many problems out of the box. I guess like everything else the rush to get something new into production far surpasses proper testing.
I’m considering a business loan for the injectors and possibly a cold air intake and exhaust down the road. I’ve heard that combination with a chip can produce up to 22mpg.
How are your cab corners holding up? No shielding so they hold all the road grim and tend to rot. And the wheel wells are stuffed with foam which does the same thing.
Both are problems areas on mine. A fellow contractor cut the shield out of the wheel well and welded on stabilizers then undercoated the whole thing.
Anyways good luck with your upgrades.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:04 AM   #13
Silverdale

We like Greg Ward's Truck and Equipment Repair in Alton, N.H.
603-387-2853. Many years experience and reasonable rates.
Silverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:54 AM   #14
jims

Angry a long list of problems

my 2004 f-350 ran great the first year , then all the problems surfaced , the brake system just fell apart (poor steel quality ) ,oil pan rotted out , fuel water seperator rotted out ,transmission lines rotted out ,new egr valve ,frame and subframe rot ,constant check engine light ,turbo problems ,i cant afford a new truck so im stuck fixing this one,
Old 11-20-2011, 07:00 PM   #15
Belmont Resident

Default Wow, and I thought I had it bad.

How are your headlights? Mine are beyond pitiful and I’m looking for alternatives.
I went to the link you sent and saw a conversion to the Harley Davidson lights for the 04 Super Duty. I run 2 100watt aircraft lights that help a lot when driving in North Country.

I’ve replaced my front brakes twice and rears once in 115K. I’m running Raybestos parts and they seem to work great. The first time around I ran NAPA premium and they didn’t hold up well. Neither did the NAPA batteries. They only lasted 1 year. Now I’ve got Sears Platinum and they are excellent, but for $200 a pop they better be.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:02 AM   #16
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Same with me, Jims...I thought I was safe with the optional factory warranty on my my 2005 Dodge 2500 .....but they just said "tough luck" the warranty doesn't cover corrosion. Oil pan, tranny lines, ps lines, pumps etc...cost over 5k.
Stay away from Dodge trucks.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:35 AM   #17
Belmont Resident

Default Dodge

I mentioned to a friend that I was looking into how Dodge trucks have come in the last few years.
He said, you buy a Dodge and I will no longer be your friend. Of course he was joking, but serious also. With all the bad publicity and quality issues, Dodge has a long way to go before they are taken seriously.
I do know some who have had good luck with them and still buy them, but not one of them uses their truck for more than transportation.
They all have their issues but I thought the whole rotting out thing was in the past.
Why does Ford line the wheel wells with foam? Why design the cab corners to be open areas where dirt can gather and promote rot?

The 04 Xterra that I drive around because it wasn’t worth anything to trade in has 115K on it. No rot, little rust and it just keeps going and going.
My wife loves her Hyundai Santa Fe. Great price, great fuel economy comfortable ride, and they are not American made, so it probably will not rot out. What more could you ask for?
Old 11-22-2011, 08:35 AM   #18
SIKSUKR

Geez, the guy just asked for a good diesel shop. I'll second Diesel Don in weare. I need to go lay on the couch now and speak with my therapist.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:02 AM   #19
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
Why does Ford line the wheel wells with foam? Why design the cab corners to be open areas where dirt can gather and promote rot?
Two words.......planned obsolescence (OR poor engineering!)!!

I know because I have a 2001 F250 that I bought new that currently has rotting crossmembers on the pickup bed, plus the cab corners and door bottoms (all 4) need repair. I won't even get into the mechanical issues I've had with this truck. It's ridiculous some of the stuff I've had to repair or replace on this truck and it's only got 66,400 miles on it!
Wolfeboro_Baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:53 AM   #20
jst_4_kiks

If you are still in need of a good local diesel shop contact Shawn or Wes at No Limits Motorsports. Located on rte 107 by the Laconia Ice Arena 6035278119 www.nolimitsnh.com

PM with any questions about marine repair
jst_4_kiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:37 PM   #21
Belmont Resident

Default no limits

I’d be leery of them. Wes used to work at Belknap tire. His customer service skills were terrible. Very poor attitude and did not like to be questioned about how much things cost, and would reluctantly give you a breakdown of service provided.
I took 3 vehicles worth of tires, inspections and repairs and went elsewhere.
I’ve never had dealings with the other Shawn.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #22
nhhick

Default We've had good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
I mentioned to a friend that I was looking into how Dodge trucks have come in the last few years.
He said, you buy a Dodge and I will no longer be your friend. Of course he was joking, but serious also. With all the bad publicity and quality issues, Dodge has a long way to go before they are taken seriously.
I do know some who have had good luck with them and still buy them, but not one of them uses their truck for more than transportation.
They all have their issues but I thought the whole rotting out thing was in the past.

The 04 Xterra that I drive around because it wasn’t worth anything to trade in has 115K on it. No rot, little rust and it just keeps going and going.
My wife loves her Hyundai Santa Fe. Great price, great fuel economy comfortable ride, and they are not American made, so it probably will not rot out. What more could you ask for?
Between my dad and I we have had 4 Dodge trucks since 2001. The 2 that have been traded in have had well over 100K on them and no issues except for normal wear (brakes, CV joints, etc), and the were not just for commuting but for towing, farming, and forestry work. My Dad tought me to take care of my truck and it will take care of you and it has prooven true since I started driving.

As far as the Ford issues check the diesel forums as there are a lot of good advice on them from people whoe have had the same issues. As someone who went to school for deisel technology (agricultural) its no surpise there's are a lot of issues with the new engines, across the board. emissions standards change fast and by large steps and do not leave enough time to properly test everything. Wish we could go back to the bullet proof 5.9 Cummins and 7.3 Powerstokes.
nhhick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nhhick For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (12-09-2011)
Old 12-09-2011, 05:10 PM   #23
Belmont Resident

Default Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhhick View Post
Between my dad and I we have had 4 Dodge trucks since 2001. The 2 that have been traded in have had well over 100K on them and no issues except for normal wear (brakes, CV joints, etc), and the were not just for commuting but for towing, farming, and forestry work. My Dad tought me to take care of my truck and it will take care of you and it has prooven true since I started driving.

As far as the Ford issues check the diesel forums as there are a lot of good advice on them from people whoe have had the same issues. As someone who went to school for deisel technology (agricultural) its no surpise there's are a lot of issues with the new engines, across the board. emissions standards change fast and by large steps and do not leave enough time to properly test everything. Wish we could go back to the bullet proof 5.9 Cummins and 7.3 Powerstokes.
I’ve always spared no expense in taking care of every vehicle I’ve owned. Regular oil changes with Amsoil, filters changed grease, etc. It’s the things I have no control over that fail. Things that for a diesel truck should be built to compliment the engines life expectancy are what are killing me.
FYI I know a die hard Ford owner that stopped in to test drive a Tundra and bought one.
I asked why he said the ride and fit & finish sold him on it. His truck was only a 150 but fairly new.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #24
robmac

Alot can be said about Toyota p/u trucks but riddle me this. Why is it everyday the Toyota dealers get delivery of p/u truck frames?
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:55 AM   #25
gtxrider

Default Rust

There was a trouble with frames rusting through on the small Toyoyta pickups
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:06 PM   #26
robmac

these are full size frames they get m-f every week,I laugh as I watch them unload every day
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:33 AM   #27
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac View Post
these are full size frames they get m-f every week,I laugh as I watch them unload every day
If I remember correctly didn't Toyota buy back all the trucks with rust and gave them double what the NADA was on them?

Last edited by Winnisquamguy; 12-13-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Winnisquamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:53 PM   #28
Belmont Resident

Default Winnipesaukee truck

This is another reason why I like these guys. They diagnosed my diesel truck problems and before ordering the new parts they installed known good used parts and tested to see if all the codes cleared.
That is going the extra mile, something you do not see often with auto repair shops

Rob Toyota had a problem with frames on the 2005 line of Tundra’s.
Me I would not buy a Toyota Tundra because the fuel economy is terrible.
Also I personally think it is a rather boring looking truck with no lines at all.