Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2021, 06:15 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Dishwasher Issue

When running the dishwasher today, we could hear groaning noises,
coming from inside. We shut-off the dishwasher, and opened the door and noticed there was no water inside.

My wife thought she smelled a burning smell coming from the dishwasher,
but when I opened it I could not notice any smell ?

The dishwasher has been running but only seems to want to run on 'light cycle', other cycles, sometime work, sometimes not ? Dishwasher is a KitchenAide 16 yrs old, and I feel it is at, or near 'end-life'.

Last year we replaced the stove (same age), 'last week' we replaced the refrigerator, so thinking dishwasher is next up !

Thoughts about the dishwasher current issue ?
I think know your answer already !

Last edited by bigdog; 11-27-2021 at 06:23 PM. Reason: spell
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 06:21 PM   #2
WinnisquamZ

FYI. We are remodeling our kitchen this winter and will be selling our Bosch dishwasher. Six years old, but only 18” wide.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 06:34 PM   #3
bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
FYI. We are remodeling our kitchen this winter and will be selling our Bosch dishwasher. Six years old, but only 18” wide.
Sounds like a dishwasher for a 'camp', as my standard size dishwasher is
24 1/2" wide..... Otherwise, I'd scoop it up from you !

Love Bosch dishwashers', my daughter has one, and you can't even tell when it's running, SUPER QUIET !

Last edited by bigdog; 11-27-2021 at 06:36 PM. Reason: spell
Old 11-27-2021, 09:33 PM   #4
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Quality lasts

Been in this house since new in 1977. First dishwasher was Hobart (Kitchen Aid). Replaced two years ago with whatever was quietest, can't recall the brand but not Bosch. It will likely outlast us. Manual DW at camp and on the boat (paper plates) That may make the "primary" last longer.

Wanna make your old dishwasher into a snow thrower?

Give him/her a shovel. LOL
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 10:50 PM   #5
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
coming from inside. We shut-off the dishwasher, and opened the door and noticed there was no water inside.

but when I opened it I could not notice any smell ?

The dishwasher has been running but only seems to want to run on 'light cycle', other cycles, sometime work, sometimes not ? Dishwasher is a KitchenAide 16 yrs old, and I feel it is at, or near 'end-life'.

Last year we replaced the stove (same age), 'last week' we replaced the refrigerator, so thinking dishwasher is next up !

Thoughts about the dishwasher current issue ?
I think know your answer already !
Well worth replacing (rather than repairing) at this age.

If you want a quiet replacement then be sure to look for a model which has a "Stainless Steel" tub (i.e. inside). It does wonders for sound deadening!

Also, because of the pandemic you may have to be a little patient to obtain a new model but hang in there. Very easy to find Stainless Steel colors these days, and much more difficult to get a white model. Been there, done that!

Best of luck with your Dishwasher hunt!
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2021, 05:52 AM   #6
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post

Agreed.
Get a new one.

Best read up extensively on reviews. There is a lot of junk out there.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 06:36 AM   #7
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Consumer Reports evaluated about a hundred dishwashers. The top ten had 7 Bosch models and 3 Thermador models. The first Kitchen Aid was #33 on the list.

The top two models:
Bosch Ascenta SHX3AR75UC $699 at Home Depot
Thermador DWHD650WFM $1,399 at Best Buy

We love our Bosch.

Alan
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 07:06 AM   #8
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

My parents bought a Bosch some years ago and, though it was essentially silent, it never dried the dishes well at all. My dad cursed every time he ran it and had to shake the racks to get the water off and wait to air dry. It didn't have a heating coil.

We just bought a new Whirlpool that has a heating coil and is 90% as quiet—works perfectly every time, even when heavily loaded. It also has the silverware carrier on the door to save rack space. We got a plastic tub, but they make the same one with a stainless interior.

Here's what we bought: WDF540PADM.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 07:44 AM   #9
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

When I bought my Bosch the salesman told me that dishwashers weren't going to have dryers any more so I bought it anyway. I do love it. If I just open my door and let it sit for a few minutes, they dry because they are so hot. I had two and loved them both. Also loved my Kitchen Aid.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:12 AM   #10
fatlazyless

For fifty dollars, about four years ago, I got a white 24" Jenn-Air dishwasher from http://www.pemivalleyhabitat.org/restore.htm in Plymouth, and this has been one strong hot water spraying, hard working, effective dishwasher. It continues to run excellent, plus I removed my old dead identical GE dishwasher and replaced it with this $50-Jenn-Air ....... such-a-deal down at that ReStore in Plymouth! .....

ReStore-Plymouth has refrigerators, dishwashers, stoves, air conditioners, well pumps, well tanks and other small appliances like heaters that ALL have been donated by local people who are remodeling and upgrading, or doing a waterfront tear-down or something like de-cluttering.

And occasionally they get in items like ping-pong tables, pool tables, old Craftsman or Delta cast iron, table saws or a 17' canoe or 14' Sunfish sailboat.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-28-2021 at 08:56 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 10:24 AM   #11
DickR

Quote:

but when I opened it I could not notice any smell ?...
No water in the washer might well produce a vibration/groan from the pump running empty. No water might be a matter of a failed water valve or perhaps a corroded/broken wire leading to it. It also could be something like a stuck float water level float. Access to the valve might well be from the front, in back of a bottom access panel. Otherwise, pull it out from under the counter, look underneath/in back of, and poke around. You've got nothing to lose. A wire is an easy fix. A failed valve might not be too costly, provided it is available.

There is plenty of information on diagnosing and fixing dishwashers online. Here is but one, found with a quick search on "diagnosing no water in dishwasher": https://www.bobvila.com/articles/dis...getting-water/
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 12:27 PM   #12
TheProfessor

"What brands of dishwashers are made by Whirlpool?

Result for whirlpool dishwasher brands
Today, Whirlpool Corporation owns the Jenn-Air, Maytag, Amana, Roper, and KitchenAid brands."

I have Admiral brand washer and dryer. The Admiral brand is a budget brand made by Whirlpool. No issues other than loud. Both machines are exactly a Whirlpool with a different name.

Plymouth Furniture sells appliances. Might be a good idea to view what they sell.
Old 11-28-2021, 12:56 PM   #13
Flylady

Default New GE

We just replaced our dishwasher which was at least 20 YO. We got a GE with stainless steel interior. It is so quiet that you would not know its running but for the indicator light.
Flylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 01:39 PM   #14
Woody38

When we gutted the kitchen and replaced with top end everything the D/W
was replaced with a Bosch. The 3rd one we have had. Fantastic appliance and we have only one issue in that there is no longer a rinse and hold cycle. Therefore, we rinse before placing in the D/W.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 02:01 PM   #15
bigdog

Thanks everyone for all your great feedback, much appreciated !

I think I'm going to self-dignose starting with water inlet valve, and check for blockage. Small price only $20-30 if this fixes the issue.
If it doesn't, then I'm only out a few dollars.

If I have to purchase new, will be looking at Whirlpool, Maytag & GE. Price, looks and features seem to fit our requirements.
Old 11-28-2021, 03:45 PM   #16
TheProfessor

Quote:
If I have to purchase new, will be looking at Whirlpool, Maytag & GE. Price, looks and features seem to fit our requirements.
As stated above. Whirlpool and Maytag are the same product. Made by the same people. In the same factories. Whirlpool purchaed Maytag. Closed all Maytag factories. And dumped all Maytag designs. Then rebranded Whirlpool products to the name Maytag. The lonely Maytag repairman of old TV commercials has died.

GE appliance division is now owned by Chinese company HAIER.
Old 11-30-2021, 12:21 AM   #17
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post

If you want a quiet replacement then be sure to look for a model which has a "Stainless Steel" tub (i.e. inside). It does wonders for sound deadening!

Also, because of the pandemic you may have to be a little patient to obtain a new model but hang in there. Very easy to find Stainless Steel colors these days, and much more difficult to get a white model. Been there, done that!

16 years is young. They are incredibly easy to repair.
Ours is a Kenmore Elite (also a whirlpool). They are all the same.
I thought ours was dead, bought a new pump, turns out it swallowed some tines from a plastic fork. Returned the new pump.

If there is no water, it could be just an inlet valve. But OP might have cooked something running it dry if they smelled burning. Maybe.

Appliances, motorized tools never die for me, I just get sick of them and give them away working

Same washer, dryer, stove, dishwasher. Well over 20 years.
Whirlpool stocks parts forever.

Lucky if you get 10 years out of new appliances, mostly because you can't get parts for them.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mswlogo For This Useful Post:
DotRat (11-30-2021), trfour (11-30-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 07:14 AM   #18
fatlazyless

Default ..... $209-installation at Lowe's

$209-labor cost is what the Lowe's in Gilford charges to remove your old dishwasher and replace it with a new dishwasher that you have purchased from Lowe's.

Is all about disconnecting and reconnecting the 110-v electric line, water line and drain line, and screwing dishwasher to floor below, and kitchen counter above.

Is so easy to do it that I can do it while blind-folded with one hand tied behind my back ..... and Lowe's wants $209 to get it done .... omg! ....
Old 11-30-2021, 08:08 AM   #19
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
$209-labor cost is what the Lowe's in Gilford charges to remove your old dishwasher and replace it with a new dishwasher that you have purchased from Lowe's.

Is all about disconnecting and reconnecting the 110-v electric line, water line and drain line, and screwing dishwasher to floor below, and kitchen counter above.

Is so easy to do it that I can do it while blind-folded with one hand tied behind my back ..... and Lowe's wants $209 to get it done .... omg! ....
LMAO

Actually, that is pretty inexpensive. They have to come to you, have to pay for the truck to drive to you, gas, insurance, pay an employee, benefits and overhead at a "fair wage" because FLL, minimum wage is way too low and needs to be higher. So you do the math. Heck it should be twice that, everyone deserves at least 20 bucks and hour now.

Clearly you have no clue how to install one of these yourself blind folded or not you do NOT screw them to the floor. The worst thing a homeowner can do it think they know what they are doing when they really don't. Your insurance carrier must love you.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Biggd (11-30-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 08:41 AM   #20
fatlazyless

The Lowe's installers are all independent contractors with their own vehicle, gasoline and car insurance(hopefully?) and are not employees of Lowe's.

Anyone know what the Lowe's/installer contractor split is? Is it 50/50 or something else?

Hey ..... for $50-dollars, I got a very slightly used dishwasher from the ReStore ..... http://www.pemivalleyhabitat.org ..... in Plymouth, installed it myself, and four years later, it still runs totally super-duper ......is like the world's #1 greatest dishwasher ever installed since dirty dishes were first invented! .....
Old 11-30-2021, 09:16 AM   #21
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Been in this house since new in 1977. First dishwasher was Hobart (Kitchen Aid). Replaced two years ago with whatever was quietest, can't recall the brand but not Bosch. It will likely outlast us. Manual DW at camp and on the boat (paper plates) That may make the "primary" last longer.

Wanna make your old dishwasher into a snow thrower?

Give him/her a shovel. LOL
What’s that 40 years? Don’t count on the new one getting close to that.
Old 11-30-2021, 11:17 AM   #22
fatlazyless

So's down at the Cattle Landing dock while walking or bicycling, every once in a blue moon, I notice there will be someone there crossing the road with what looks like an el cheapo white dish drying rack that's totally full with DIRTY dishes in the rack. Must be he is moving his dirty dishes from the island back to the main land and home to a real dishwasher for washing. ..... that's island life .... go figure? .....
Old 11-30-2021, 03:52 PM   #23
MAXUM

Quote:
The Lowe's installers are all independent contractors with their own vehicle, gasoline and car insurance(hopefully?) and are not employees of Lowe's.

Anyone know what the Lowe's/installer contractor split is? Is it 50/50 or something else?

Hey ..... for $50-dollars, I got a very slightly used dishwasher from the ReStore ..... http://www.pemivalleyhabitat.org ..... in Plymouth, installed it myself, and four years later, it still runs totally super-duper ......is like the world's #1 greatest dishwasher ever installed since dirty dishes were first invented! .....
The costs associated with doing the work don't change because the person(s) doing the work are employees of Lowes or independent contractors - which most are. In fact, by going through Lowes you can usually realize a cost savings versus going to the same exact provider directly.

Buying anything used is of course going to be cheaper than buying new, but roll the dice... if it's worth it to you to screw around with a 50 dollar dish washer that may last 1 day or 5 years is up to you. Can guarantee you one thing, pat yourself on the back for a dishwasher that probably consumes 10Xs the electricity and ends up over it's lifetime costing you more. Probably causes the ringing in your ears cause it's so darn loud too. That costs you more in doctors visits too!
fatlazyless (11-30-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 06:56 PM   #24
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
The costs associated with doing the work don't change because the person(s) doing the work are employees of Lowes or independent contractors - which most are. In fact, by going through Lowes you can usually realize a cost savings versus going to the same exact provider directly.

Buying anything used is of course going to be cheaper than buying new, but roll the dice... if it's worth it to you to screw around with a 50 dollar dish washer that may last 1 day or 5 years is up to you. Can guarantee you one thing, pat yourself on the back for a dishwasher that probably consumes 10Xs the electricity and ends up over it's lifetime costing you more. Probably causes the ringing in your ears cause it's so darn loud too. That costs you more in doctors visits too!
Hey Maxum ...... you must be jealous or something because you probably have like an $899-Bosch and it honestly can't make the dirty dishes any little one bit cleaner than what my $50 slightly used Jenn-Air dishwasher from the Restore in Plymouth does with the dirty dishes.

Clean is, as clean does, and clean dishes are clean dishes ..... ..... so clean that I can see my smiling face in these dishes' reflection using Great Value Dishwasher Gel, lemon scent, along with Cascade Platinum power dry, rinse aid agent.

What is the ReStore in Plymouth NH? ............................. http://www.pemivalleyhabitat.org/restore.htm
Old 11-30-2021, 09:40 PM   #25
MAXUM

Quote:
Hey Maxum ...... you must be jealous or something because you probably have like an $899-Bosch and it honestly can't make the dirty dishes any little one bit cleaner than what my $50 slightly used Jenn-Air dishwasher from the Restore in Plymouth does with the dirty dishes.

Clean is, as clean does, and clean dishes are clean dishes ..... ..... so clean that I can see my smiling face in these dishes' reflection using Great Value Dishwasher Gel, lemon scent, along with Cascade Platinum power dry, rinse aid agent.

What is the ReStore in Plymouth NH? ............................. http://www.pemivalleyhabitat.org/restore.htm
If the truth be told FLL, I have no dishwasher being between houses at the moment. However I when I did have a dishwasher it was used as a place to dry my hand washed dishes so they were out of sight. I have yet to meet a dishwasher that actually worked.

No chance I'll ever visit the ReStore in Plymouth considering that I no longer live in NH and not worth the nearly 6000 mile round trip drive from Idaho. Do I miss NH? Nope!
Attached Images

subaruliving (12-01-2021)
Old 12-01-2021, 07:09 AM   #26
fatlazyless

ReStore-Plymouth does not want to sell you a defective, used dishwasher or refrigerator so they test these donated items and require a cash deposit from the donation person while testing it out.

The physical appearance, lots of use/wear or does it look almost like new, are somewhat obvious when shopping a used dishwasher.

Hey Maxum ....... buddy-boy ...... that recent post of yours conflating my health problem with TINNITUS and a noisy dishwasher is not a normal type comment for this forum and maybe comes from my recent comments on the motor boat speed limits. In all the years this forum had been here, only the speed limits would generate such a NASTY comment. ......
MAXUM (12-02-2021)
Old 12-01-2021, 08:42 AM   #27
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
If the truth be told FLL, I have no dishwasher being between houses at the moment. However I when I did have a dishwasher it was used as a place to dry my hand washed dishes so they were out of sight. I have yet to meet a dishwasher that actually worked.

No chance I'll ever visit the ReStore in Plymouth considering that I no longer live in NH and not worth the nearly 6000 mile round trip drive from Idaho. Do I miss NH? Nope!
You really should learn to remove the garbage on your plates before placing them in the dishwasher. I’ve yet to see a working dishwasher that didn’t clean dishes.

It helps if you plumb it to hot water.

Better not go to any restaurants because most use dishwashers.

If you don’t miss NH why are you hanging around here again?