Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 08:51 PM   #301
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Honestly, I don't think either of these two gov's have any real insight or idea as to what is going on. They're just grandstanding on this trying to get free exposure and come off as "working for the people".
They do not know when they should just shut up, which is very troubling.
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
fpartri497 (08-25-2014)
Old 08-26-2014, 06:39 AM   #302
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
It's coming, this is a $3 billion business that is being decimated because of this, if it doesn't get fixed soon it will be worth pennies on the dollar. That being said, we are talking about a $1 billion+ transaction between people who hate each other, it won't happen overnight but even the biggest of fools would not let that much wealth evaporate which is what will happen if they don't act.

That being said, I predict a deal within one to two weeks.
What a great deal for the politicians! They express concern, attend a few meetings, and then within a relatively short period of time can take credit for "saving Market Basket", something that would probably have happened anyway. They will probably get campaign donations out of it as well.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:29 AM   #303
Retired Ole Guy

Time to start figuring out what other Business interests the Arthur S side and his cronies have and begin boycotting them also
Old 08-26-2014, 08:07 AM   #304
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Honestly, I don't think either of these two gov's have any real insight or idea as to what is going on. They're just grandstanding on this trying to get free exposure and come off as "working for the people".
I agree - like it or not this is a private business and neither governor has any business meddling in the affairs of any company (in words or actions) regardless of whether their intentions are good or not. These two have enough problems to deal with, they are no longer interested in governing or for that matter solving any problems, instead they are opportunistic and just latch on to what is making front page news get out there in front of the cameras and babble on about things they know little about. If they had any character or integrity at all they would keep there mouths shut about this publicly. However that would require leadership, something both are severely lacking.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (08-27-2014), Seaplane Pilot (08-26-2014)
Old 08-26-2014, 08:26 AM   #305
Rusty

On Aug 7th Gov. Patrick said this:
"Getting involved, I think, would mean choosing the CEO of a private company and I don’t think that’s the business of the Governor".
http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/bl...to-market.html

This is just one of the reasons why career politicians will say and do anything to get votes...and we all fall for it.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:00 PM   #306
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Well, the trucks are still hauling stuff out from the wedding. I thought that might be an important piece of information.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
ITD (08-26-2014)
Old 08-26-2014, 12:47 PM   #307
Ondawada

Where was the wedding held?
Old 08-26-2014, 06:16 PM   #308
Rusty

How in heck are they ever going to make over a Billion dollar deal on the sale of MB when they can't even make a decision about holding a meeting:

Sources said the board planned to meet at 6 p.m., but then word came that board members couldn't agree to meet, and the meeting was postponed

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/money/market-bas...#ixzz3BXiPpQK9
Old 08-26-2014, 06:27 PM   #309
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
How in heck are they ever going to make over a Billion dollar deal on the sale of MB when they can't even make a decision about holding a meeting:

Sources said the board planned to meet at 6 p.m., but then word came that board members couldn't agree to meet, and the meeting was postponed

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/money/market-bas...#ixzz3BXiPpQK9
Rusty:

Keep the faith. This story is about to have a happy ending.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:42 PM   #310
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ondawada View Post
Where was the wedding held?
At Arthur's house.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
KPW (08-26-2014)
Old 08-27-2014, 08:29 AM   #311
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Plan would close 61 out of 71 stores

http://www.wmur.com/money/plan-would...751068#!bK4kee

Due to Arthur S stubbornness. If Arthur T can come up with 1.5 billion, here is at chance to by the 61 stores and put Arthur S out of business.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:50 AM   #312
Rusty

It's kinda comical the way the public was behind the employees when they first walked out. "Hang in there", "we are proud of you", this is what America is all about" Now if you read some of the comments on that News report there is a lot of employee bashing.

I predict that the employees will cave in and go back to work with Arthur S in charge. This will probably happen this week.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:54 AM   #313
jeffk

Before everyone gets too excited, a MB with 1.5 billion in debt and interest to service will not be the same as it was. Prices will have to go up. Negative effects will happen. Building new stores may not be possible for a long time. The people that finance the 1.5 billion may have their own demands for solid investment returns, not dissimilar to what ASD was demanding.

ASD was counting on the fact that ATD would not want to let the business he has built be destroyed. He forced this confrontation and the buyout. He apparently doesn't care if 61 stores close. That's his leverage.

It is yet to be seen if MB can survive under the new conditions. ATD will be struggling for quite a while. And ASD and his supporters pocket 1.5 billion and walk away. Probably just what they wanted.

The judge that awarded ASD controlling interest should be....
Old 08-27-2014, 09:26 AM   #314
dave603

Closing 61 of 71 stores is pretty much an idle threat from ASD.
It would cost too much to close that many stores, and make the value of the company a lot less than $1.5 billion.
At that point ATD, would change his offer amount to a minimal amount.
ASD may not care, but the rest of the BOD might care a lot.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:28 AM   #315
dave603

Quote:
It's kinda comical the way the public was behind the employees when they first walked out. "Hang in there", "we are proud of you", this is what America is all about" Now if you read some of the comments on that News report there is a lot of employee bashing.

I predict that the employees will cave in and go back to work with Arthur S in charge. This will probably happen this week.
Rusty, You have to remember the PR firm hired by ASD, has hired people to respond on social and news media sites supporting the ASD side.
Not all those people you see bashing the employees care about it and are just doing their jobs for the PR firm.
The Following User Says Thank You to dave603 For This Useful Post:
Charlie T (08-27-2014)
Old 08-27-2014, 05:39 PM   #316
ITD

ASD will have to close many stores if he doesn't pull his cranium out of his posterior. There is no winning here for ASD if he does not sell.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:12 PM   #317
RailroadJoe

With a worth of about $2 Billion I don't think he worries too much as to what happens.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:28 PM   #318
Charlie T

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave603 View Post
Rusty, You have to remember the PR firm hired by ASD, has hired people to respond on social and news media sites supporting the ASD side.
Not all those people you see bashing the employees care about it and are just doing their jobs for the PR firm.
Sadly this is very true. PR firms in this day and age are nothing but paid professional liars. I guess that is similar to the Political position of "Press Secretary"
Old 08-27-2014, 08:42 PM   #319
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailroadJoe View Post
With a worth of about $2 Billion I don't think he worries too much as to what happens.
I think that worth has taken a serious hit in the last month. It seems that ASD is always looking for cash so I'm guessing his burn rate is huge. This is killing the goose that lays the golden egg, I don't see this coming back anywhere close to what it was if ATD doesn't come back and I think ASD's lavish spending will take a huge hit.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:26 PM   #320
HellRaZoR004

Default We shall see.

Report: Board Approves Market Basket Sale to Arthur T. Demoulas
The Boston Globe says the selling price is more than $1.5 billion

http://www.necn.com/news/new-england...272969871.html

If this is true I am staying far away...as it's going to be an all out nut house.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:39 PM   #321
KPW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
Report: Board Approves Market Basket Sale to Arthur T. Demoulas
The Boston Globe says the selling price is more than $1.5 billion

http://www.necn.com/news/new-england...272969871.html

If this is true I am staying far away...as it's going to be an all out nut house.
Not for long. They fought and they won! (imho)
Old 08-28-2014, 04:16 AM   #322
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

WMUR web site:

Quote:
TEWKSBURY, Mass. —The Market Basket board of directors approved the sale of the grocery chain to Arthur T. Demoulas at a meeting Wednesday night.

Demoulas reportedly offered $1.5 billion to buy out the company controlled by his rival cousin, Arthur S. Demoulas, and his allies on the board.

The deal was signed late Wednesday, according to a source close to negotiations. As part of the deal, Artie T would immediately take over operational control of the company along with several managers who were fired. Two CEO's brought in to run the company over the last several weeks will remain in place until the deal is formally closed.

Stores have been empty, sales are down 95 percent and the grocery chain has been losing money.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:53 AM   #323
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
Before everyone gets too excited, a MB with 1.5 billion in debt and interest to service will not be the same as it was. Prices will have to go up. Negative effects will happen.
I think you are wrong. Operations will snap back quickly and in a couple of months it will be hard to notice there ever was a problem. According to reports T is financing $500MM on a $3B purchase. That isn't high financial leverage in my book. T will have to pay back the $500MM but he won't need to be pay out millions in dividends to the S side of the family. Also, T can slowdown, or stop for a while, the opening of new stores which reportedly have historically been financed internally by free cash flow.

As I have stated before this is a wonderful story that highlights what can happen when capital and labor respect each other and work together to maximize value.

Support MB in the weeks to come!
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
KPW (08-28-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 05:55 AM   #324
secondcurve

Quote:

Wrong again Rusty.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:06 AM   #325
jmen24

Default Thanks to those who helped with this cause!

The Market Basket family would like to thank all of their customers who showed resolve in fighting to keep market basket local and focused on the customers. It may be a year or more before MB is fully back on its prior track, but we ask for your continued support, it will get back to its former position. Just know that the customer will be the first to benefit!

Thank you again for all those that were able to hold strong and you should all feel great that you helped make this happen!!

I am no longer participating in the forum, but I had to thank the folks that helped make this happen! Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
KPW (08-28-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 06:15 AM   #326
Rusty

So Arthur T goes back to work as the man in charge and he doesn't own MB.

Just because the board OK's Arthur T's bid for the company does not mean that it is a done deal. Sorry folks but I'm not falling for this at all.

The CEO and Board of Directors have only OK'd Arthur T to get the people back to work so they can start making money again.

The below statement is the only thing that has changed:

“Effective immediately, Arthur T. Demoulas is returning to Market Basket with day-to-day operational authority of the company,” Market Basket said in a statement Wednesday night. “He and his management team will return to Market Basket during the interim period while the transaction to purchase the Company is completed. The current Co-CEO’s will remain in place pending the closing, which is expected to occur in the next several months.”
Old 08-28-2014, 07:09 AM   #327
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
So Arthur T goes back to work as the man in charge and he doesn't own MB.

Just because the board OK's Arthur T's bid for the company does not mean that it is a done deal. Sorry folks but I'm not falling for this at all.

The CEO and Board of Directors have only OK'd Arthur T to get the people back to work so they can start making money again.

The below statement is the only thing that has changed:

“Effective immediately, Arthur T. Demoulas is returning to Market Basket with day-to-day operational authority of the company,” Market Basket said in a statement Wednesday night. “He and his management team will return to Market Basket during the interim period while the transaction to purchase the Company is completed. The current Co-CEO’s will remain in place pending the closing, which is expected to occur in the next several months.”
Rusty, how many more times are you going to insert your foot in your mouth? Give it up. ATD and company have prevailed. You are taking that quote out of context, an agreement has been reached to sell the 50.5% to ATD. This is confirmed by many sources, not just one.
I congratulate the management and associates for sticking their necks out for a cause they so deeply believed in. This will certainly go down in business books as more than a footnote in labor/management relations textbooks. I wish other companies would value their stakeholders over their shareholders just as ATD does. In the end, it seems like this is what separates a good company from a great one. There are very important lessons to be learned because of this, I hope other companies are paying attention.
I don't think it will take as long as most people think to get this business back to normal. Associates who put their necks on the line will now most certainly bust their @sses to right this nearly sunken ship.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
dave603 (08-28-2014), Resident 2B (08-28-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 07:29 AM   #328
Happy Gourmand

Here is the entire statement by ATD
Quote:
"Market Basket and its shareholders are pleased to announce today that the Market Basket shareholders have entered into a binding agreement pursuant to which the Class B shareholders will acquire the 50.5 percent ownership interest of Market Basket currently owned by the Class A shareholders.

"Effective immediately, Arthur T. Demoulas is returning to Market Basket with day-to-day operations authority of the company. He and his management team will return to Market Basket during the interim period while the transaction to purchase the Company is completed. The current Co-CEO's will remain in place pending the closing, which is expected to occur in the next several months.

"All Associates are welcome back to work with the former management team to restore the Company back to normal operations.

The shareholders and the Company would like to thank the Market Basket customers and partners for their strong support through the years. Our shared goal is to return Market Basket to the supermarket that its customers have come to rely on for service, quality and best prices. We look forward to seeing you at your local Market Basket
Old 08-28-2014, 07:59 AM   #329
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
I am no longer participating in the forum, but I had to thank the folks that helped make this happen! Cheers
Thanks jmen24, I'm just curious about your last statement?
Old 08-28-2014, 08:18 AM   #330
AC2717

How busy is the Tilton Store going to be tomorrow and the rest of the Weekend!!! I hope they are fully stocked by then
from the looks of it at a store right around the corner from my job, they are stocking the shelves very fast and I am sure have extra staff on
Old 08-28-2014, 08:43 AM   #331
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
Rusty, how many more times are you going to insert your foot in your mouth?
I'll take my foot out of my mouth when ATD owns the company. Until then I don't trust ATD, ASD, the two Co-CEO's, or any of the share holders of MB.

I'm glad the workers are back to work, but this story is long from being over.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:46 AM   #332
granitebox

Quote:
agree, why even include that?
Old 08-28-2014, 08:51 AM   #333
bclaker

This morning I was writing e-mail to a friend in Texas to update him on the Market Basket deal.

When I ran a spell check, it tried to change DeMoulas to Demolish. Not quite, but it was close.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:32 AM   #334
TheProfessor

Best I can figure Arthur T. gave good pay and bonuses to the employees and Arthur S. wanted to sit on his ass and collect dividends. Probably more to it than that (Arthur T. seemed to use his own businesses for a lot of contract work), but you can see why the employees liked Arthur T. If you shopped there much, you found that the employees were always smiling and helpful. That's what happens when you pay a living wage. Arthur S. wanted less pay for the workers and more money for the shareholders (mainly, him). His hand picked board of directors really screwed up big time. The worst of capitalism, in action.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (08-29-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 12:02 PM   #335
codeman671

Quote:
Rusty, how many more times are you going to insert your foot in your mouth? Give it up. ATD and company have prevailed. You are taking that quote out of context, an agreement has been reached to sell the 50.5% to ATD. This is confirmed by many sources, not just one.
I congratulate the management and associates for sticking their necks out for a cause they so deeply believed in. This will certainly go down in business books as more than a footnote in labor/management relations textbooks. I wish other companies would value their stakeholders over their shareholders just as ATD does. In the end, it seems like this is what separates a good company from a great one. There are very important lessons to be learned because of this, I hope other companies are paying attention.
I don't think it will take as long as most people think to get this business back to normal. Associates who put their necks on the line will now most certainly bust their @sses to right this nearly sunken ship.
Hate to say it, but to some extent I agree with Rusty. It is great to hear the deal has been agreed on, but it won't close for a while and who knows that the "S" crew may try to pull in the meantime. Hopefully things will go smooth. I have a friend in store management at a local store, his hours were fine throughout but things were getting pretty sketchy.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #336
secondcurve

Quote:
I think you are missing the point. Arthur T doesn't value the stakeholders' interests over those of the shareholders. Rather, his approach is to treat the stakeholders (employees, customers and vendors) extermely well to maximize shareholder value. Labor, capital and customers benefit handsomely from Arthur T's approach. He has proven the pie can be expanded to benefit all stakeholders if everyone is treated with respect and honesty. Arthur S will never understand these basic concepts.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:18 PM   #337
dave603

Just went to one of the Nashua stores to check out how bad it is, Some empty shelves, but a lot still in there. Looks like the received hotdogs, deli and beef, no chicken yet, didn't go by the Fish.
The employees, between huge smiles and singing, yes some singing, say they expect everything in by this Saturday.
Not a mob seen, but I expected that.
It will be Saturday I'm guessing. this store is right near the Mass. line and was always crowded on holiday weekends.

Edit: I also went by the Chelmsford MA. Store going to work, lot's of activity in there for 6:15 AM

Last edited by dave603; 08-28-2014 at 12:21 PM. Reason: adding chelmsford
Old 08-28-2014, 01:00 PM   #338
SIKSUKR

Drove by the the Bedford NH at noon and saw about 25 cars. Thats 20 more than everyday for the last month. Personally I'll wait till next week when the inventory has been restocked.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:16 PM   #339
Rusty

Just listened to Arthur T's speech and not once did he say he signed anything to buy MB. He loves everybody but said nothing about the signing of a "binding contract". I guess it really doesn't matter to the crowd of Arthur T's followers so why should I care. He's back, he loves everybody so now lets get back to work.

Here is his speech: http://www.wmur.com/money/raw-video-...770312#!bLOATt
Old 08-28-2014, 01:59 PM   #340
jmen24

Quote:
To answer your question and Granitebox' statement.

It was asked earlier in this thread why I had not updated any info. That last line in my post answered those questions.

No more, no less!
Old 08-28-2014, 03:04 PM   #341
granitebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
What you really mean is, "I'm no longer participating in the forum, except where I post, I'm reading the forum and trying not to reply so much".

Your statement is nonsensical given you've posted multiple times in this thread alone. Obviously hate to see folks no longer contribute at the volume they have in the past, but when you make a statement as above, its political commentary about some previous event that hurt your feelings.

Maybe time will heal and we'll see you back here, in the meantime me thinks you are participating.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:43 PM   #342
Happy Gourmand

I fully agree that this is not yet a "done deal". This will probably take months to close. What they do have, if my understanding is correct from the statements that were made is that there is a binding agreement in place. Part of that agreement as I understand it is that ATD will have full operational control until the deal is closed.
I know of a couple of co-CEO's who will be looking for a new position when this is all finalized..........anybody??
Old 08-29-2014, 09:07 AM   #343
Slickcraft

Default Tilton Store

We stopped by at about 7:30 am today; customers trickling in; serious restocking of shelves in progress. We received a welcome back greeting from several busy but happy staff members, a whistle while you work situation.

Dairy was well stocked with fresh items and the seafood case was being filled, early morning delivery. Most non-perishable items were well stocked with some holes that were quickly being filled.

Fresh meat was limited to fresh ground beef and produce was not yet replenished. The in store bakery was in operation with many items out but the main bread isle had slim pickings.

Given the progress in the past day, tomorrow morning should show another jump in stock.

Last edited by Slickcraft; 08-29-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:22 AM   #344
phoenix

All such deals take several months to close. Mergers, acquisitions etc go thru a detailed due diligence process . They have a binding agreement ( from what's been reported) which will usually have break up fees and a time frame to close. Since there is some financing whether it is private equity or bank , those firms require a level of " kicking the tires" to insure their investment. So yes there is always a chance that any deal can fall apart but in this instance since there should be no surprises its highly likely the deal will happen.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:37 AM   #345
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts
Default From Twitter

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
pcmc (08-29-2014), Resident 2B (08-29-2014), Rusty (08-29-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 10:44 AM   #346
pcmc

That's great to see Don. Thanks for that post and the pics.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:13 AM   #347
Rusty

The MB employee in the picture has 30 years with the store. MB must have something going for them to be that happy with your job:

Old 08-29-2014, 11:42 AM   #348
topwater

Out of the 50 Million Dollars they LOST. How are they going to recoup their losses? How much higher do you eventually think the prices will go up? There is NO way a company and shareholders can afford to take a hit like this. When do YOU think this will happen? 1 month..2months 3 months from now?
Old 08-29-2014, 02:24 PM   #349
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwater View Post
Out of the 50 Million Dollars they LOST. How are they going to recoup their losses? How much higher do you eventually think the prices will go up? There is NO way a company and shareholders can afford to take a hit like this. When do YOU think this will happen? 1 month..2months 3 months from now?
If the reported buyout is $1.5 billion dollars do you think the $50mil is going to sink them? I think not.

Are there shareholders that are not part of the family?

Did they actually lose $50mil in expenses or did they miss out on $50mil worth of business?
Old 08-29-2014, 03:34 PM   #350
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
If the reported buyout is $1.5 billion dollars do you think the $50mil is going to sink them? I think not.

Are there shareholders that are not part of the family?

Did they actually lose $50mil in expenses or did they miss out on $50mil worth of business?
Let's do a little math........ it is said that MB did about $3 billion in sales per year, that's $3,000,000,000.00. Let's assume that they do the same sales every week all year long to make the math easy, so $3 billion divided by 52 is about $57 million per week. Market basket has been shut down for about six weeks, but let's call it five weeks. That's about $288 million lost revenues. Ouch .
Old 08-29-2014, 03:43 PM   #351
Rusty

Quote:
Let's do a little math........ it is said that MB did about $3 billion in sales per year, that's $3,000,000,000.00. Let's assume that they do the same sales every week all year long to make the math easy, so $3 billion divided by 52 is about $57 million per week. Market basket has been shut down for about six weeks, but let's call it five weeks. That's about $288 million lost revenues. Ouch .
The lawyer fees were probably more then that and it "ain't" over yet...not by a long shot!
Old 08-29-2014, 04:03 PM   #352
secondcurve

Quote:
The lawyer fees were probably more then that and it "ain't" over yet...not by a long shot!
This is a done deal. You must remember that the losing side will be picking up $1.5Billion when the deal closes. This deal will happen in Q4.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:15 PM   #353
ITD

Quote:
I agree, but I doubt we'll hear anything about it, the stakes are too high. They will get it hashed out and I think it will be a good thing. Even though ASD is getting $1.5 billion, I think in the long run they will be the financial losers in this whole thing.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:33 PM   #354
Pineedles

I'm very happy that the employees are back to work and they are happy. Not too many businesses have employees that committed.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:18 PM   #355
Farfrumbehavin

Quote:
Impressive #'s. Investors must be coming out of the woodwork to back Arthur T. According to the Boston Globe one investor is in for $500 million. Sale price 1.64 billion. He's promising not to raise prices. No doubt he will get the financial support. I'm glad to say I called this one wrong.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:30 AM   #356
Orion

Default Numbers way off

$3B is gross sales number. The margins in the food industry aren't very big so revenues are a fraction of that.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:26 AM   #357
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
$3B is gross sales number. The margins in the food industry aren't very big so revenues are a fraction of that.
Revenues is gross sales, you are thinking profit. They didn't just lose profit during this debacle. MB still has to pay rent, utilities, taxes, overhead, there were still employees working....... the money they lost is huge, which baffles me as to why ASD let it go on so long.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:20 AM   #358
Greene's Basin Girl

A WMUR reporter interviewed the manager of the Tilton Market Basket. He said the store will be 90% restocked by the end of next week.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:07 PM   #359
Cindido

I went to the Market Basket in Rochester this morning. Store was very busy & both customers and employees were welcoming each other back. The store was fairly well stocked. The deli selection was the most noticeably lacking but I was able to get what I needed. Hummus was also missing but other than that, I left with a full cart and everything on my list!!
Old 08-30-2014, 04:04 PM   #360
Irish mist

Looking at the past history & practices of this company I suspect they will set things right with little, or no long term damage.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:21 PM   #361
tis

When you think about this whole deal it is pretty amazing. The power of the people without a union. The old fashioned way!
Old 08-30-2014, 04:48 PM   #362
Mr. V

So, do I understand it correctly?

The descendant of the guy who defrauded his dead brother's family is the "good guy" in this passion play?
Old 08-30-2014, 05:05 PM   #363
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
When you think about this whole deal it is pretty amazing. The power of the people without a union. The old fashioned way!
I think you are right tis, it is amazing and I was totally wrong.

I've been giving this more thought and it should be up to the employees to have a CEO that they like and also get more benefits and higher wages.

Therefore I suggest that all businesses turn over their books to the employees and let them decide how much profit the business should make.
If the employees feel that the owner is making too much profit and has too many homes or too many luxuries then the owner must sell some of his homes and not live the way they do.

So, all employees should stop working until they know the profit and loss amounts of their employer. The consumer should boycott these businesses until this is completed.

Where should we start in Wolfeboro tis?
topwater (08-31-2014)
Old 08-30-2014, 05:24 PM   #364
tis

You are being a little extreme aren't you, Rusty? I do see your point however is this any different than companies that have unions? Unions run the companies do they not?
Old 08-30-2014, 06:06 PM   #365
Pineedles

Quote:
I think you are right tis, it is amazing and I was totally wrong.

I've been giving this more thought and it should be up to the employees to have a CEO that they like and also get more benefits and higher wages.

Therefore I suggest that all businesses turn over their books to the employees and let them decide how much profit the business should make.
If the employees feel that the owner is making too much profit and has too many homes or too many luxuries then the owner must sell some of his homes and not live the way they do.

So, all employees should stop working until they know the profit and loss amounts of their employer. The consumer should boycott these businesses until this is completed. .

Where should we start in Wolfeboro tis?

That tongue in cheek reply is beyond what this is all about. Accept the fact that the dispute is settled and let them deal with the aftermath. I have no desire to turn this forum into a WOLFEBORO>COM/FORUM forum
Old 08-30-2014, 06:25 PM   #366
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
That tongue in cheek reply is beyond what this is all about. Accept the fact that the dispute is settled and let them deal with the aftermath. I have no desire to turn this forum into a WOLFEBORO>COM/FORUM forum
Sorry Pineedles, ignore my comment. I just thought doing it the "old fashion way" was a good idea for a all businesses.

Carry on.
Pineedles (08-31-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 07:31 AM   #367
tis

Rusty you are being a little extreme. By the old fashioned way, I meant capitalism. If employees are not happy with their pay, they leave. I did not mean that the employees could dictate to the employer how to run the business, although as I said, your point in this case is taken. It kind of did happen here. MB could have let all the employees go and then what would have happened?
Old 08-31-2014, 07:37 AM   #368
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Rusty you are being a little extreme. By the old fashioned way, I meant capitalism. If employees are not happy with their pay, they leave. I did not mean that the employees could dictate to the employer how to run the business, although as I said, your point in this case is taken. It kind of did happen here. MB could have let all the employees go and then what would have happened?
Sorry tis but I can't answer you honestly because Pineedles will get me thrown off this forum...again!
Old 08-31-2014, 10:36 AM   #369
dave603

When was the last time your employees put you on a cupcake?

Name:  0831141118.jpg
Views: 2700
Size:  69.0 KB
Old 08-31-2014, 08:41 PM   #370
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post

The descendant of the guy who defrauded his dead brother's family is the "good guy" in this passion play?
I' still not sure I believe that Mr. V..... There was much controversy around that trial, and I believe several law careers ruined over it......
Old 08-31-2014, 10:15 PM   #371
Irish mist

Quote:

So, by your logic "the sins of the father" get transferred to the son ? Is that the kind of "law" you practice.....If so, no thanks. if you are implying something else you might want to clarify your point.

Last edited by Irish mist; 08-31-2014 at 11:09 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Irish mist For This Useful Post:
KPW (09-01-2014), Pontoon Goon (09-01-2014)
Old 09-01-2014, 01:10 PM   #372
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish mist View Post
So, by your logic "the sins of the father" get transferred to the son ? Is that the kind of "law" you practice.....If so, no thanks. if you are implying something else you might want to clarify your point.
I was trying to see if I understand the cast of characters, i.e. "who did what to whom."

I'd never heard of these people or this issue until I read this thread, and got most of my "facts" from the article in Mass Law Weekly, which was based on a summary I believe provided by lawyers for one of the parties.

My post was not a flame, it was more of an "Attaboy!"

I've no dog in this fight; I live 3000 miles away and when lakeside shop at Hannaford.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:08 PM   #373
Irish mist

Quote:
I was trying to see if I understand the cast of characters, i.e. "who did what to whom."

I'd never heard of these people or this issue until I read this thread, and got most of my "facts" from the article in Mass Law Weekly, which was based on a summary I believe provided by lawyers for one of the parties.

My post was not a flame, it was more of an "Attaboy!"

I've no dog in this fight; I live 3000 miles away and when lakeside shop at Hannaford.
Thanks for clarifying the post. This is a complicated case that goes back over 30 years. There are some good articles out there that give an account of what happened. I just thought you were suggesting that Art T. had some hand in his father's behavior, or was complicit with his father in defrauding the other side of the family.

There's enough issues between the family in current times to write a book....and both sides have dirty hands, though Art T. has done such an amazing job with this business I can't imagine what the Art S. side of the family was thinking when it went after Art T.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:16 PM   #374
minni on winni

In my humble opinion...it is time to congratulate the employees and customers of market basket , wish them well, and retire this thread. Just my opinion
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to minni on winni For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (09-02-2014), Greene's Basin Girl (09-01-2014), kjm45 (09-02-2014), KPW (09-01-2014), Slickcraft (09-01-2014)
Old 09-01-2014, 04:27 PM   #375
Chaselady

Quote:
Originally Posted by minni on winni View Post
In my humble opinion...it is time to congratulate the employees and customers of market basket , wish them well, and retire this thread. Just my opinion
I completely agree. We need to stop beating this horse, it was dead a long time ago!
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaselady For This Useful Post:
minni on winni (09-01-2014)
Old 09-01-2014, 08:04 PM   #376
TheProfessor

On Labor Day.

"In one sense, Artie T.’s return brings to an end an unprecedented non-union strike, and in another, it marks the beginning of another phase of questions and possibilities for Market Basket.

On this Labor Day, Mackin examines four story lines that have emerged from the Market Basket saga in the wake of last Wednesday’s deal."

LINK
The Following User Says Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
moose tracks (09-02-2014)
Old 09-02-2014, 09:26 AM   #377
Farfrumbehavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaselady View Post
I completely agree. We need to stop beating this horse, it was dead a long time ago!
It was dead aong time ago but still interesting enough to keep reading it! The shelves are still being stocked, people are shopping there again. Some might not be. I for one have been in to two of the stores and am watching to see if prices will be affected by the deals that are about to be cut. I think it's difficult for many people to believe that everthing is going to go back to the way it was. Art T was on the news announcing that the growth of the company by building new stores will be held up for some time.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:11 PM   #378
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farfrumbehavin View Post
It was dead aong time ago but still interesting enough to keep reading it! The shelves are still being stocked, people are shopping there again. Some might not be. I for one have been in to two of the stores and am watching to see if prices will be affected by the deals that are about to be cut. I think it's difficult for many people to believe that everthing is going to go back to the way it was. Art T was on the news announcing that the growth of the company by building new stores will be held up for some time.
Arthur T. Demoulas also hinted at being a leaner company. http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/09/0...on-new-stores/

Does he mean that there won't be five employees in the parking lot pushing grocery carriages around and looking like they are lost. Rochester has a lot of overhead that could be reduced and I think this will happen.

IMO this is just the beginning of a new MB.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:46 PM   #379
Farfrumbehavin

Point being, this horse is far from dead !
Old 09-02-2014, 10:23 PM   #380
Greene's Basin Girl

Arthur T. S that he plans on maintaining the great Market Basket prices. Time will tell. All I know is that my grocery bill is higher at Hannaford's. I planned on traveling to Tilton from Moultonborough this week to shop at Market Basket, but the weather is just to nice to leave the lake.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:22 PM   #381
topwater

Ok, now it's been a couple of weeks. Do you notice any difference in Market Basket in Tilton. We sure do. It is clearly not the same fun and welcoming atmosphere it used to be. The turn over in people has been astronomical, we shop there at least once a week sometimes twice. All the regular kids that you grew to know are gone. The girls on the registers are polite but so many are new faces. Market Basket can sure say the "Family place" to work. But my oh my have the people changed. To my wife and I , it's NOW just another grocery store. Yep, you can save some money however my wife noticed some of their pricing have gone up..HMMM?
Agree or disagree that is our observation, and we had friends working there that had to find another job. We won't stop shopping there and hopes after a few years it gets back to where it used to be. (People wise).
Old 10-01-2014, 11:02 PM   #382
topwater

No one has noticed a difference at Market Basket since they came back to work? Honestly can't she how anyone cannot see a big difference.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:02 AM   #383
Slickcraft

Quote:
No one has noticed a difference at Market Basket since they came back to work? Honestly can't she how anyone cannot see a big difference.
We have been 3 times after the reopening including last week. We found the store and staff back to normal and back to being our favorite store in the area.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:14 AM   #384
cillovely

I ventured out to a Market Basket a couple of weeks ago to see what the hype is. The closest one to me is about 17 miles one way from my house. Some of the prices were cheaper, but some were the same if not more than other grocery stores closer to me (Stop and Shop, Shaws). I will say it was a very nice clean store, with friendly employees and fellow shoppers, but again I was 17 miles away from metro Boston, so the typical employees and shoppers change as you get to the more rural areas. They did have some things I don't see in my other stores, and the meat and fish I purchased were very good.

For now I'll look thru the flyers for all the stores and base my shopping destination as to what I need and who has it cheapest as I always do. I figure it costs me about $5 in gas to get out there, so that eats up that 4% overall discount you get from MB.

If they ever do get one closer to me then I'll probably shop there more often.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:47 AM   #385
RLW

Smile

For those of us that live in rural areas, that is the mileage that we have to travel to get to the dollar saving grocery stores anyhow so we do not think anything about the mileage and gas used to get there.LOL
Old 10-02-2014, 09:57 AM   #386
cillovely

Oh I know how it is, I did live in a rural area for 4 years or so, two of which meant driving 7 miles or more each way to the nearest grocery store. The other two years I was lucky enough to be pretty close.

I was happy when I did move back to my home area and could walk to one if I had to, but in all honesty I'd be just as happy to go back to traveling some distance if it meant getting away from all the hub-bub of the city and burbs and all the wackos who live here. I do plan on moving up north soon if I can.

I guess my point was that I am not really saving a huge amount by driving out to MB. And I have to factor in that Stop and Shop gives me gas points. I saved 1.60 per gallon not to long ago with these exta gas coupons they kept sending me.

You need to be a smart shopper and know what prices are best. Even going to BJ's or Costco, sometimes those places are not a discount at all.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:58 AM   #387
topwater

Sorry, this was directed more to the Tilton, NH store. So many new faces and just not the same fun atmosphere.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:55 AM   #388
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cillovely View Post
I but again I was 17 miles away from metro Boston,
Not sure what exactly is "metro Boston," but there are Market Basket stores in Somerville and Chelsea which are both 5 miles from downtown. The Chelsea store is the largest in the chain, I believe. There's one in Woburn as well, but that's definitely 17 miles from downtown.

Market Basket doesn't require a "savings card." Any shopper gets the sale price, which I think is part of why the customer base is so loyal.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:15 PM   #389
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Just a thought...

Quote:
Sorry, this was directed more to the Tilton, NH store. So many new faces and just not the same fun atmosphere.
Having worked in retail for one chain for over 17 years, we had the "same old faces" for young people for about 3 years, sometimes longer if they commuted to work. Once they graduated HS, we had an influx of new people.

We just saw the same thing happen this year at the Hannaford in Alton. A whole bunch of new faces this summer and into the fall. Not the same old faces, but they are learning to smile a little more, and learning their jobs a little better, and being more outgoing.

Could be a similar thing in Tilton...others, however, may have had to move on to other jobs. Just need to give the new kids a chance to be the "old crew" and that may take a little time.