Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 04:38 AM   #1
JDeere

Default Damage reports

How did the lake area do in the storm?

Any damage?
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:18 AM   #2
Belmont Resident

Default No power loss at my home.

I drove home from Merrymeeting Lake last evening and had to stop and move down tree's and it looked like parts pf Gilmanton had lost power but they almost always do in a good breeze.
The trip down 28 to 140 was event free.
Where I was working it really hadn't so much as rained really hard but once for about 5 min around 4:00. Mainly a hard mist all day long, right now it is calm in Belmont with a light mist falling and I saw the moon peaking through early this morning.
My wife's brother is 6 miles in from Jersey Shore in Toms River NJ. As of when she went to bed they were ok.
secondcurve (10-30-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 06:25 AM   #3
songkrai

Lots of tree branch debris on back roads.
Very warm this AM.

Scattered power outages. None for me.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:51 AM   #4
Silverdale

Default No Harm Done Here

Highest wind gust was about 26mph. Temp this am 59. Power was off a total of 2 1/4 hours. Blew the porch chairs around some. We are one of the higher elevations in East Alton. Waiting to hear from friends and family on Nantucket and in Delaware as well as those traveling.
Silverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:23 AM   #5
Rusty

My webcam has stayed on since the storm started so it appears that Wolfeboro didn't lose power.

Someone raked my front lawn...

I saw on TV where a building was boarded up with a spray paint taunt:

"hey sandy, irene left her panties here. come try em on."
Old 10-30-2012, 07:41 AM   #6
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Alton Bay 1/2 mile above Sandy Point West side

that narrows it down some!

Some tree limbs down. Rusty's leaves in Wolfeboro blew onto my yard in Alton Bay. Actually, the wind stripped the leaves on our very large oak tree in our front yard.

Power went out Mon afternoon around 315 or so, and back on about 4 or a little after. A few flickers and then the power went out at 6 and came back on around 730. A few more flickers during the evening, went to bed about midnight and power stayed on all night.

Had some very powerful gusts late afternoon into the evening that rattled windows and howled through the trees. Fortunately, most of the leaves were already off the trees so the wind didn't have much to grab onto and just blew through the empty branches. Haven't been down to the boat yet, but it should be ok. I tied boat off the dock, had lines to both sides of the slip and lines keeping the boat back off the front walkway dock.

My feathered friends are glad I left my feeders out...they have been on a feeding frenzy this morning. All in all, from my perspective, not a bad storm here locally. Thank goodness.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:42 AM   #7
radioman

Default damage report

Lost power last night about 7m as of 8:30 am still out of power and have an old pine tree blocking driveway and Piper Hill Rd here in Center Harbor.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #8
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts

Nothing of note in my part of Gilford. Went down to LSP this morning, Park manager said no real damage and just one tree down.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:46 AM   #9
John A. Birdsall

Default storm

Peggy's Cove and Merrymeeting Cove had high winds in the trees, but no problems on the ground. We lost power a few times but it came back. leaves are down, some limbs are down on the upper road. But no property damage that I could see.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:28 AM   #10
JDeere

Default Thanks for the updates

Lake area seems to be ok
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:44 AM   #11
Sal

Here, near Buzzell Cove, small branches down but nothing serious. Power went out 5PM Monday and it's still not back. Neighborhood generators, including ours, have been humming. Propane companies must be happy.

Seems strange that electric power goes down but cable tv and internet
keep running. They must use stronger wires.
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #12
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Here, near Buzzell Cove, small branches down but nothing serious. Power went out 5PM Monday and it's still not back. Neighborhood generators, including ours, have been humming. Propane companies must be happy.

Seems strange that electric power goes down but cable tv and internet
keep running. They must use stronger wires.
Power lines are always the top wires and take the blow shielding the lower tv and phone cables from many of the branch and tree hits.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:04 AM   #13
NickNH

Default Wentworth Shores Area - M'boro

We heard from our Plow guy that a tree came down on our Power lines and pulled the electric box + off the house......fortunately no damage to the house or shed and we're closed up now so no rush for them to fix.....NH Elec Coop has their hands full....

Decent of him to check for us......he's going to take care of the whole thing....
NickNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #14
DickR

Power went out on Long Island (at least my part on the northeast side) around 8pm, came back on around 10 this morning. There had been some flickering of lights for an hour or so before they went out for the night. Damage here is mainly tree pruning by the wind.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DickR For This Useful Post:
jenfa (10-30-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #15
PaugusBayFireFighter

The cable and phone lines are usually fed power from a different source than the utilities. It's possible that the distribution point your cable company uses may still have power. Same reason why you might sometimes have electricity but your cable is out.
I can't tell you how many hours I have spent "babysitting" a downed wire during or after a storm on a fire truck. Sometimes we would sit there for the whole 24 hour shift waiting on the utility truck. I hated those days...don't miss it at all.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #16
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Wildwood Village

All is quiet here, power out yesterday between 2:30 and 3:30, the pond did not overfill like Irene, and no noticeable damage.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #17
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Birdsall View Post
Peggy's Cove and Merrymeeting Cove had high winds in the trees, but no problems on the ground. We lost power a few times but it came back. leaves are down, some limbs are down on the upper road. But no property damage that I could see.
Power is out on the back side of Merrymeeting Lake.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:47 PM   #18
fatlazyless

I still have a 17' row-canoe, 13' sailboat, & outboard boat on my dock and boatlift so I flipped the canoe upside down, threw some extra lines around all the boats to secure them to the dock, plus raised up the boatlift and raised up the outboard so's it would be up out of the water. Last night was definately the windiest, blowiest, big white-water, roller waves coming directly at my location from the south, that I have ever seen in 20-years, since 1992. It was one windy night, with white cap waves rolling in all night, and the whole cottage was shaking from the wind and rain.....but....thankfully there was absolutely no damage what-so-ever except for some tree blow-down branches....big healthy oak trees probably have roots that run deep.....plus I removed an outside 10x10' Wal-mart canopy cover otherwise that would have got shreaded as a similar one did last year.

Right now, that big yellow ball called the sun is back, and the lake has calmed down....

I was at least a little worried that my 16' aluminum outboard boat would get shaken off its perch on the boatlift, but that never happened!

And, two hours later, it is once again dark grey clouds, wind picking up, and raining, plus the electricity is still out.

4:30-pm ...and the power is back on........probably totally due to my recently paying my past due electric bill ... ... !

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-30-2012 at 03:38 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:56 PM   #19
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post

And, two hours later, it is once again dark grey clouds, wind picking up, and raining, plus the electricity is still out.
I'm surprised you did not camp out on the WalMart parking lot and hook up your electricals to the light post.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #20
Belmont Resident

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I'm surprised you did not camp out on the WalMart parking lot and hook up your electricals to the light post.
Ha, Ha, Ha, I can see it now.
Local who believed he could homestead in Gilford was removed to the local homeless shelter after being taken to LRGH for psychiatric evaluation.
Did I leave anything out?
Old 10-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #21
Ropetow

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Haven't been down to the boat yet, but it should be ok. I tied boat off the dock, had lines to both sides of the slip and lines keeping the boat back off the front walkway dock
Your boat looks fine. I was down checking mine early this afternoon.
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ropetow For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (10-30-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #22
jeffk

Default Suissevalle

A tree came down across Castle Shore Road road and knocked lines off 3 poles and killed power. The tree is off the road and power is back on but the lines are still down. Driving around there were a lot of small branches down but nothing too serious. Went for a walk on Keywadin Road in Center Harbor and there was a tree down in the road and lines down as well.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #23
jazzman

Anyone know if there is power on the Wolfeboro islands? I can see my boat still sitting on it's dock in Wolfeboro on webcam, so at least that's all good.
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #24
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropetow View Post
Your boat looks fine. I was down checking mine early this afternoon.
I went down just before noon, did the mail run, checked the boat and got lottery tickets. Boat was fine. Left it still cross tied in the slip in case we get some back lash winds, or high winds from the thunderstorm that is moving across the Alton area right now. Flash Kaboom......flash Kaboom...flash Kaboom....now where did those cats go?????
Old 10-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #25
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
I went down just before noon, did the mail run, checked the boat and got lottery tickets. Boat was fine. Left it still cross tied in the slip in case we get some back lash winds, or high winds from the thunderstorm that is moving across the Alton area right now. Flash Kaboom......flash Kaboom...flash Kaboom....now where did those cats go?????
Sorry you wasted your money on lottery tickets! I already bought the winning lottery tickets! I'll let you know how I enjoy the money but thank you for heping to fund my winnings.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #26
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Sorry you wasted your money on lottery tickets! I already bought the winning lottery tickets! I'll let you know how I enjoy the money but thank you for heping to fund my winnings.
Sry - winner is sitting right next to me If only....
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #27
Mink Islander

Default Mink Island update

Since NYC and the markets were shut down today, I took the suddenly open calendar as an opportunity to load in kerosene for the winter on Mink. Power is out - but I knew that. All I have to do is call the house and if it answers, I have power, if not, well....

Evidence of some downed trees on Meredith Neck Road that had been cleared.

Shep's pulled a lot boats this week. My little Whaler really stood out as one of the very few still in the water.

No damage to the camp. Checked out the neighbor's camp and walked the main power line on the island. No downed lines. No trees on wires. Wanted to give the co-op more specific info to help their work effort.

Took a spin around the North side of Bear to check the other family camps. No visible damage there either. By all appearances, damage was minimal.

We dodged a bullet here, for sure.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mink Islander For This Useful Post:
Bear247 (10-31-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #28
PaugusBayFireFighter

Just had a pretty good storm cell go over Christmas Island with more wind than at anytime yesterday...lots of sideways rain and plenty of lightning...10 minute start to finish. Calm now!
Old 10-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #29
Newbiesaukee

Just had the nasty storm at Harilla's on Long Island. A lot of,wind yesterday as we face east. No power from around 4 pm yesterday until,this afternoon. Telephone and Internet back about the same time. We fortunately had no damage.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:10 AM   #30
PaugusBayFireFighter

Around 10:00 last night there was some rain and wind, in a flash the wind picked up very quickly and shook the house. I was sure something had touched down or was about to. The roar of wind and the sound of rain hitting the house, lightning with immediate thunder, indicated the cell was on top of us. I hurried down the hall to flip on the outside flood lights to see what the trees were doing and I couldn't see the back deck, it was like being in a car wash. I went back down the hall to tell my wife we may want to go to the basement (we have tall pines around the house and our bedroom is on the top floor) and she freaked out. She had never seen me concerned about a thunder storm. Before she could even get out of the bedroom the wind and rain stopped, like someone flipped a switch. That confirmed, for my amature weather knowledge, that we had either a micro-burst or one heck of a cell pass over us. When I told my wife never mind, it's over, she looked baffled. I tried to explain what I thought happened but to no avail. She was angry I scared her.
My guess was confirmed this morning when I saw a micro-burst caused heavy damage in Franklin. It may not have been the same burst, but it originated from the same cell. I wonder if anybody else felt similar conditions.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:38 AM   #31
fatlazyless

...big light flash & a big roar clap...repeated again & again...looked to be a couple miles south maybe in Gilford last night ab out 10-pm.....those sure got my attention....felt like the weather gods were pulling the lanyard on their heavy artillery.....flash....kaboom....flash...kaboom... ...flash....kaboom....

This storm did a good job of shak'n all the brown oak leaves off their branches...could be a good day to get to work with a rake!
Old 10-31-2012, 09:43 AM   #32
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
Around 10:00 last night there was some rain and wind, in a flash the wind picked up very quickly and shook the house. I was sure something had touched down or was about to. The roar of wind and the sound of rain hitting the house, lightning with immediate thunder, indicated the cell was on top of us. I hurried down the hall to flip on the outside flood lights to see what the trees were doing and I couldn't see the back deck, it was like being in a car wash. I went back down the hall to tell my wife we may want to go to the basement (we have tall pines around the house and our bedroom is on the top floor) and she freaked out. She had never seen me concerned about a thunder storm. Before she could even get out of the bedroom the wind and rain stopped, like someone flipped a switch. That confirmed, for my amature weather knowledge, that we had either a micro-burst or one heck of a cell pass over us. When I told my wife never mind, it's over, she looked baffled. I tried to explain what I thought happened but to no avail. She was angry I scared her.
My guess was confirmed this morning when I saw a micro-burst caused heavy damage in Franklin. It may not have been the same burst, but it originated from the same cell. I wonder if anybody else felt similar conditions.
That is exactly what happened on Long Island after my post. It was very short but worse than I can recall. It seemed a very unusual event. We lost our house in Hurricane Andrew so I know what really bad weather is like.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:42 PM   #33
skprbob

Default tuesday PM

Driving on 25 thru Center Harbor Tues nite, I had the Weather Service radio on and they posted a severe thunderstorm warning for a cell that, at 9:11 PM was near Barrington and moving north at 65 mph (yes! 65 mph), capable of producing 60 mph winds and "deadly" ground lightning. The list of areas in its path included Rochester, most all the Lake towns, and Lebanon (yes! Lebanon). By the time I got home to 19 Mile Bay, the storm was arriving. It flashed through in less than five minutes - fastest moving storm I've ever seen.

BTW - PBFF: Amen to your avatar and quote!
skprbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #34
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skprbob View Post
It flashed through in less than five minutes - fastest moving storm I've ever seen
It was like a fast moving train going over the house. The wind went from a light breeze to a 5 minute sustained gale and then back to dead calm. Felt like I was in the Tornado attraction at Universal Studios, no flying cows that I could see!
Old 11-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #35
spotsink

Default Island damage?

Does anyone have any information on the Tuftonboro Neck area and the Islands? Were there many downed trees?
spotsink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:03 AM   #36
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I do know Tuft. Neck lost their power about 10:30 at night and it was on the next morning about 6:30. I didn't hear of any trees down, but that doesn't mean there weren't some in the woods.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:03 AM   #37
diprna

Default Diamond Island Dock Damage

Friends on Diamond Island had a u shaped dock before Frankenstorm Sandy. Now it's just a traditional dock.
diprna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #38
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Unhappy Minor Damage From Sandy

We arrived yesterday to see that the weighted down docks had been moved around. One dock had a cross brace break and the leg closest to shore that didn't have a brace was damaged. The large trash cans that were full of water and tied onto the ends of the docks were only three quarters full when we uncovered them, which tells us that the docks were really rocking. Overall, I'd say we were very lucky. Lots of branches and debris all over on land.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
bclaker (11-04-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #39
jazzman

Everything seems pretty normal here on Big Barndoor... No dock damage that I can see. Since the broads side of BBD faces SW and W, it should be pretty protected during a Northeaster type of storm. There were lots of small branches down on the path around the island. From the looks of my ice cream in the freezer, power was never lost.
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote