Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-23-2024, 08:06 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Exclamation Massachusetts trailer hitch rule

Hey there forum readers, supposedly, there's a little known rule from our neighboring State of Massachusetts that says that the trailer hitch on your vehicle shall only be in place when actually in use, towing a trailer. Apparently, this rule was made to prevent damage from cars backing into a parking space and damaging the nearby vehicle with its extended trailer hitch that may stick out six inches or so beyond the bumper.

So, to prevent parking space damage caused by the trailer hitch, Massachusetts is the one and only state in the nation with this trailer hitch, violation ruling.

Maybe someone can find and post a link to this Massachusetts driving violation for a trailer hitch? Is it really true? I read about this on Reddit.
Old 04-24-2024, 06:44 AM   #2
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Hey there forum readers, supposedly, there's a little known rule from our neighboring State of Massachusetts that says that the trailer hitch on your vehicle shall only be in place when actually in use, towing a trailer. Apparently, this rule was made to prevent damage from cars backing into a parking space and damaging the nearby vehicle with its extended trailer hitch that may stick out six inches or so beyond the bumper.

So, to prevent parking space damage caused by the trailer hitch, Massachusetts is the one and only state in the nation with this trailer hitch, violation ruling.

Maybe someone can find and post a link to this Massachusetts driving violation for a trailer hitch? Is it really true? I read about this on Reddit.
The applicable portion is: Any vehicle with a gross weight of less than 26,000 pounds which is equipped with a trailer hitch drawbar shall be required to remove said drawbar whenever the vehicle is not actively engaged in towing.

https://malegislature.gov/Bills/192/...%20in%20towing.
Garcia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 08:11 AM   #3
AC2717

another useless law in the state that Police will not enforce, and shouldn't have to
Old 04-24-2024, 08:45 AM   #4
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
another useless law in the state that Police will not enforce, and shouldn't have to
I live in MA and have had multiple vehicles with hitches as do many people I know. I'm not aware of anyone, ever, being cited and highly doubt anyone even knows the law is on the books (I certainly didn't). My guess is some politician was backed into, got mad, and created the law.
Garcia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 10:14 AM   #5
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post

The bigger issue is walking into one!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Biggd (04-24-2024), Electric man (04-24-2024), FlyingScot (04-24-2024), gillygirl (04-24-2024), Major (04-24-2024), TheTimeTraveler (04-24-2024)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2024, 10:18 AM   #6
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts
Default Ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
You beat me to it!!! Been there, done that!!

Hope all is well John!

Dan
Electric man (04-24-2024), VitaBene (04-26-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 01:13 PM   #7
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
The Shin Finder

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (04-26-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 02:24 PM   #8
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

So yes it is a law on the books here in Massachusetts and has been for a long time. I have never heard or seen of anyone getting pulled over or sighted for it in an accident. The only time personally it has come up for me is when getting my vehicle inspected.

In the case of an accident, it doesn't really mater although they could site you for it, but I have never heard of that happening either...

At the end of the day it is legislation that came about because some politician had a bad morning, and walked into one that likely belonged to a fellow politician that didn't have any sympathy....
Old 04-24-2024, 03:00 PM   #9
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
You beat me to it!!! Been there, done that!!

Hope all is well John!

Dan
Me too. Hurt like a bastard. Also had one smoosh my front license plate, glad it was there to protect the bumper
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (04-26-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 09:47 AM   #10
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Me too. Hurt like a bastard. Also had one smoosh my front license plate, glad it was there to protect the bumper
I mean come on you haven't lived until you bounced your shin off of a hitch... what is even worse is when it is your own!!!!!!!

Remember those old days, when the most common hitches weren't the receiver type, and a parking lot could look like an obstacle course trying to avoid both hitches and cars trying to find spots.... Ahhh the good ole days....
FlyingScot (04-28-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 01:05 PM   #11
Descant

Thanked 1,521 Times in 985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
...Remember those old days, when the most common hitches weren't the receiver type, and a parking lot could look like an obstacle course trying to avoid both hitches and cars trying to find spots.... Ahhh the good ole days....
Ah yes. The old days. Our 1959 Ford station wagon had a hitch both front and back. You can see the front hitrch in this pic at our Welch Islad docks in 1960.
Attached Images

Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Biggd (04-25-2024), fatlazyless (04-25-2024), FlyingScot (04-28-2024), ishoot308 (04-25-2024), LIforrelaxin (04-26-2024), Loub52 (04-28-2024), Slickcraft (04-26-2024), webmaster (04-25-2024), Winilyme (04-28-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 01:14 PM   #12
Biggd

Thanked 1,073 Times in 678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Ah yes. The old days. Our 1959 Ford station wagon had a hitch both front and back. You can see the front hitrch in this pic at our Welch Islad docks in 1960.
Docked but not tied off.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (04-26-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 01:20 PM   #13
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts
Default Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
That's a great pic!!
Old 04-25-2024, 01:25 PM   #14
Descant

Thanked 1,521 Times in 985 Posts
Default Not tied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Docked but not tied off.
No need to tie it off. This is an automotive thread, not boating.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 05:29 PM   #15
chachee52

It's a rule just like head light have to be on when the windsield wipers are on. On the books but not inforced. I had one on my car (ball was off so it was just the step) and a car rear ended me on the highway. Hitch went right through the bumper and into the radiator. I was heading to the Buffett concert. Cop got my info and said "get out of here and call her insurance".
And if they ever do pull you over just tell them you are on your way to pick a trailer up or dropping on off.
Just like the can't have a fire pit in most MA, and some NH cities unless you are cooking. AKA always have marshmellows or a hot dog on a stick near by. This is only enforced if a neightbor calls and complains.
And another MA law on the books, it's unlawful to put tomatoes in clam chowder. And you can only shoot someone in Boston in the Commons if the Mayor is invited (or govenor I forget).
In VT you aren't allowed to tie an elephant to a telephone pole on Sundays.
I'd have to look back for the stupid NH ones. It's been a while since I looked at that book.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 05:53 PM   #16
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,003 Times in 915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
It's a rule just like head light have to be on when the windsield wipers are on. On the books but not inforced. I had one on my car (ball was off so it was just the step) and a car rear ended me on the highway. Hitch went right through the bumper and into the radiator. I was heading to the Buffett concert. Cop got my info and said "get out of here and call her insurance".
And if they ever do pull you over just tell them you are on your way to pick a trailer up or dropping on off.
Just like the can't have a fire pit in most MA, and some NH cities unless you are cooking. AKA always have marshmellows or a hot dog on a stick near by. This is only enforced if a neightbor calls and complains.
And another MA law on the books, it's unlawful to put tomatoes in clam chowder. And you can only shoot someone in Boston in the Commons if the Mayor is invited (or govenor I forget).
In VT you aren't allowed to tie an elephant to a telephone pole on Sundays.
I'd have to look back for the stupid NH ones. It's been a while since I looked at that book.
OK most are really stupid. However putting tomatoes in clam chowder is defiantly a felony!

Alan
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 06:51 AM   #17
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Some times a hitch comes in handy. I have one of those large 3 ball units with a snatch hook on it.
Last year the wife and I got rear ended at a stop light in Ft Myers Fla and we had no damage to the truck but my hitch went right through the grill and radiator of the car that hit us.
It was one of those low rider style cars and from the sound, he was distracted by his stereo. He wasn’t anxious to report the accident and I had no damage so we wished each other well and I went on my way.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 08:24 AM   #18
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,919 Times in 1,062 Posts
Default Similar story...

I was living in NW Louisiana and was driving through Shreveport on the Fourth of July just as the fireworks had finished. Traffic was a mess. I was driving my Ford F250 p/u with a trailer hitch welded on the bumper. A guy in a Lincoln Continental pulled in behind me just as the traffic was coming to a stop. He tapped the back of my truck and yelled " Sorry about that". I waved to him 'Ok". Next traffic light he hits me again, just a little harder. I just shook my head. We get to the next traffic light, which is the last one before the on ramp onto I20. You guessed it. He really nailed me. I got out and saw I still didn't have any damage, but my trailer hitch was up into his radiator. He again yelled "Sorry" or words to that effect. As we proceeded up the on ramp, I took off and saw that as he was traveling up the ramp, steam started spewing out of the front of the Lincoln. Not sure how far he actually got, but I went on home with a big smile on my face.

This was back in late 1970's when Fords were built like a tank.

Dave
Old 04-28-2024, 10:42 AM   #19
Biggd

Thanked 1,073 Times in 678 Posts

I've given myself a good talking to more than a few times after walking into mine and I still haven't paid attention.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (04-28-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 05:07 AM   #20
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,156 Times in 903 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Some times a hitch comes in handy. I have one of those large 3 ball units with a snatch hook on it.
Last year the wife and I got rear ended at a stop light in Ft Myers Fla and we had no damage to the truck but my hitch went right through the grill and radiator of the car that hit us.
It was one of those low rider style cars and from the sound, he was distracted by his stereo. He wasn’t anxious to report the accident and I had no damage so we wished each other well and I went on my way.
That type of accident seems common in the Fort Myers area. I have been rear ended twice, both times by Florida Gulf Coast University students.

Just a thought: Maybe they could add Driver Education to the curriculum and make room for it by dropping other subjects like, say, Gender Studies?
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 06:31 AM   #21
The Real BigGuy

Now, that’s a way to get shut out of the debate!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote