Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2018, 10:31 AM   #1
chasedawg

Default Flying squirrel invasion

Now that we have gotten rid of the mice we now have flying squirrels in the attic. Tried using Have a heart cage and Ultrasonic pest defenders. Haven't work so far. Concerned that there is a nest with babies being born. What else should we try? We think that they are coming in down the chimney flue. Need to get rid of them before we close up in about 3 weeks.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:37 AM   #2
radiocontester

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post
Now that we have gotten rid of the mice we now have flying squirrels in the attic. Tried using Have a heart cage and Ultrasonic pest defenders. Haven't work so far. Concerned that there is a nest with babies being born. What else should we try? We think that they are coming in down the chimney flue. Need to get rid of them before we close up in about 3 weeks.
Contact Pesky Critters in Raymond, NH....Scott will address the critters that got in the attic and button up the house to prevent further entry. Very fair pricing and he guarantees his work for life. He solved my issue 5 years ago and I haven't had a flying squirrel issue since....not bad considering I'm surrounded by 400 acres of conservation land.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
chasedawg (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 10:50 AM   #3
Mr. V

A cat would work.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:56 AM   #4
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
You need to install a chimney cap.
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
HellRaZoR004 (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 11:16 AM   #5
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
And light a roaring fire!
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
Biggd (09-21-2018), chasedawg (09-21-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2018, 11:57 AM   #6
garysanfran

Default Just had the same problem...

They're nocturnal. I had 8 of them. They live in colonies. I stood out in the rain and mosquitos at 3:00 am for a couple of weeks and shot 4 of them with .22 bird-shot.

I gave up on the remaining and had to hire an animal control co. Cost $2,000 for them to seal every single small and large opening (took several hours). Then they installed a "one-way trap door" and the remaining exited. For the next week I heard them scampering all over the house, at night, trying to find a new way in.

Forget the traps, poisons, etc.

Bottom line? By my own experience, you have a very nasty problem. It took me over 2 1/2 months to get rid of them...And by the way...The animal control companies I spoke to were very backed up and I was told by several that they couldn't even take a look at the situation for more than 2 months.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 12:07 PM   #7
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
They're nocturnal. I had 8 of them. They live in colonies. I stood out in the rain and mosquitos at 3:00 am for a couple of weeks and shot 4 of them with .22 bird-shot.

I gave up on the remaining and had to hire an animal control co. Cost $2,000 for them to seal every single small and large opening (took several hours). Then they installed a "one-way trap door" and the remaining exited. For the next week I heard them scampering all over the house, at night, trying to find a new way in.

Bottom line? By my own experience, you have a very nasty problem. It took me over 2 1/2 months to get rid of them...And by the way...The animal control companies I spoke to were very backed up and I was told by several that they couldn't even take a look at the situation for more than 2 months.
Have had the same problem with them, garysanfran's post is excellent accurate
information. They are really difficult to get rid off.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:07 PM   #8
garysanfran

Default Infrared game cam...

I bought a motion detected game cam and set it up where I thought the entrance was. It accomplished two things...

1. It showed photos that confirmed their entry point

2. It established a pretty reliable pattern of the hours they used their "door". Around 10pm, 1am and 3am.

They also establish a latrine for the entire colony to use. Look for brown streaks on your walls or ceilings. Their nest will be near there.

.22 bird shot should not hurt your siding. Try a test somewhere.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:31 PM   #9
Not to Worry

Default Small holes

FS come in through similar size holes as do mice. The ONLY way to get rid of them is hire a pro who will find the voids and block them for entering BUT first they have to install a trap that lets them out but not in...otherwise!!!
Not to Worry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:22 PM   #10
chasedawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Have one installed plus wire fencing around the whole chimney. They are still getting in. No other sign. Having a roofer coming out to inspect the whole roof We need for our neighbors to stop feeding these rodents.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:24 PM   #11
chasedawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
We did that...! Thanks
Old 09-21-2018, 09:26 PM   #12
chasedawg

Default flying squirrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
We did that...Too!
Old 09-22-2018, 06:47 AM   #13
chasedawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post

Gary....Great information but really concerning. I caught one last night. Used rat trap and glue stick em. Now need to find out if there are others or babies. Not pleasant!
Old 09-22-2018, 07:33 AM   #14
Hillcountry

Quote:
Gary....Great information but really concerning. I caught one last night. Used rat trap and glue stick em. Now need to find out if there are others or babies. Not pleasant!
Just did some research and found out the Northern Flying Squirrel has one litter per year like their larger cousins the gray and red. March to June is the breeding season so there should be no squirrel young at this time of year, save the litter from the Spring time. Pretty much Adults and young of the year now and the Y.O.Y are flying by 3 months old. Good luck with the little buggers!
I believe we had one that broke in through a screened louvre on one of our two rooftop dormers but they could only get into the dormer wall because we have cathedral ceilings. We’d hear them scratching around in the dormer wall and I would take my walking stick and reach up and whack the wall. The noises disappeared eventually.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 07:50 AM   #15
garysanfran

Default Something to consider...

Quote:
Almost a guaranty you have more...

It seems you have access to them indoors. That's a good START. I didn't have access to them except when they exited or entered.

If you seal them in, they'll gnaw through anything to try and get out. Some people worry about the odors of them rotting. But a bigger concern...If you are successful in removing them all, you MUST take care of any place their distant relatives can get in (they've probably already shared their location on the FS Forum) ...And they can squeeze through extremely small holes. Seal up everything...EVERYTHING!

Please keep us posted...
The Following User Says Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 08:03 AM   #16
garysanfran

Default Sealing holes...

Don't just caulk or use some sort of filler to seal spaces. What made my treatment so expensive was that they used metal wire mesh, same color as my siding, then they went over the mesh with caulk of the same color. The rodents can't gnaw through metal. I was amazed at how they could fit this mesh into the smallest holes. I was told that, what they did, also increased the insulation value of the house greatly.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:31 PM   #17
betterthanbacon

Default Repellent Spray

I live on a dead end dirt road in Vt. And my prooerty is loaded with oaks. It’s a squirrels paradise. They got into my pole barn and chewed through one of the hydraulic lines on my tractor. The tech had to remove the fuel tank and ROPS to get to it. Cost me over $1000 to fix. I bought a deterrent spray from Home Depot which contains garlic,black pepper, peppermint and others things that wildlife do not like to smell. I spray this around my tractor and ATVs about every 30 days and haven’t had a problem in 3 years.
Won’t be a permanent fix for you but maybe you can spray to move them along until you can figure out a permanent solution. They sell a few different brands, powder and liquid. The one I have been using for the last year is a spray that is sold as a TomCat brand.
We rent a summer place in Gilford and the flying squirrels were taking over the outside patio. They were actually getting into the gas grill. I brought up the jug of repellent spray. Sprayed the inside and outside perimeter of the privacy wall and no more issues the rest of the summer. Just reapplied every 3 or 4 weeks.
Good Luck
betterthanbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:04 PM   #18
DesertDweller

Gary's advice/situation was similar to mine and I had to use an animal control service as well. They got in through the attic and made there way down to my basement through the walls. As stated they need very minimal amounts of space to get in. My guy sealed everything up with a wired mesh product and I have been good ever since.
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:19 PM   #19
Water Camper

Default Flying Squirrels in the attic

Approximately a month ago we heard critters in the attic. They were noisy from about 2 to 4 am. Contacted several pest control companies but only heard from J P Pests. They sent out a wildlife expert for free who suggested we had flying squirrels. Suggested we screen in our gable vents among a few other items. Followed his suggestions and we have had a quiet nights sleep ever since.

The cottage is over a 100 years old and very porus. We have always had mice in the dirt basement, but never anything in the attic. Hopefully have solved the problem.

Hope this helps,
Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:56 PM   #20
Patofnaud

Off topic, but I had to say that every time I see the topic of this thread, I think a new cover band is coming to Flying Monkey.

Flying Squirrel Invasion, kind of like the British Invasion meets the Flying Squirrels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVC0PG6WBQs

Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Patofnaud For This Useful Post:
beantownbaby (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 11:32 AM   #21
donnamatrix

Default Get rid of flying squirrels

Thought I posted this - but I don't see it! Anyway, we had this problem several years ago. Our cats alerted us to the noises they were hearing from the attic by racing up the stairs and standing still to listen. We hired Alpha Omega Pest Control in Meredith to eliminate them. I found one dead in the basement that must have come down the trace - but Alpha came and set up an "exit only" type of "door" in the roof... they can get out but not back in. He sealed up every hole he could find. We haven't had a problem since with the squirrels- but the mice and voles are driving me nutso!
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote