Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2020, 06:37 PM   #1
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Corner House

Does anyone know what’s happened with the Corner House? We were driving around this afternoon when our family had left, and there was no sign of life there at 5 or so. Did they go out of business during the pandemic? Maybe they are just closed on Monday. Just curious.

My apologies.... I should have run a search before posting here. They are open 5 days, closed Sunday and Tuesday. Sorry, folks! ��

Last edited by Sue Doe-Nym; 09-07-2020 at 07:27 PM.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
Heaven (07-25-2021), MBNeckguy (09-08-2020)
Old 09-07-2020, 09:54 PM   #2
tummyman

Web site say Fri and Sat 4:30-8. Nothing other than those days and times.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:31 AM   #3
CornerHouse

Default Corner House!

Greetings Winnipesaukee Forum!

Corner House is indeed hanging in there! Lexi here.
Corner House was on a winter break in March from the 8th to 17th. We reopened to Curbside pickup only on Fridays & Saturday’s. Most staff members had already self quarantined prior to the requirement. That left myself in the front of house as well 3 in the kitchen. As friends collected unemployment & my kitchen staff disliked wearing masks, 2 more joined the unemployment front.
I hired a guest named Jaymie & then I went back to the kitchen. When we were permitted to open on the patio we did, then inside when permitted. I was the bartender. Then I was the Chef & bartender. However the bar was intermittently open upstairs due to not enough staff members. I hired over 8 youths (14-17) & they really saved the day. Someone actually took notice of how many youths I had & called the board of labor concerned they were working too many hours & days in a week. However, I’m proud to say, legal all summer with my youths! However, last February I let one youth clock out 2 minutes after 9pm & will be fined. Though, somehow, through the most difficult summer of my life, we were above board with our youths & Corner House made it through the summer, wearing smiles under our masks!
Friday & Saturday only continued as not enough staff members were willing to work or would stipulate they will only work outside. I should have had 10 servers & I had 4, 2 being under 18, therefore unable to touch alcohol. (170 seat restaurant, 2 stories) I would conveniently deliver your drink after making in those cases. Those over 18 that did work coincidentally already had full time jobs (library director at private school & logistics manager for a manufacturer). This is not how things should run obviously, though more would have been disappointed if Corner House were closed temporarily or permanently. Therefore I opened on the days I had enough workers to make it run which was always Friday & Saturday. It will continue with Friday & Saturday going into fall & winter. Live music & activities fueled Corner House in winter & they are not permissible inside at this time.

In an attempt to keep locals out of the grocery store I offered produce in bulk for guests. I would send out the price list, guests email me the order Thursday & the produce is delivered Saturday morning. I sorted it in the parking lot & loaded into your vehicle. I added a 20% house fee. That occurred from March to late July. Also 50lb bags of flour & meat on some occasions. I sold just over $10,000 worth of produce.
I offered a number of drive thru chicken BBQ’s as well. A previous owner Judy Coolidge would often feature a chicken BBQ. The closed off inside offered the perfect opportunity for me to offer this historic event. Jeff O’Neil & John Hall built the pit & helped extensively to make these historic & fun BBQ’s happen!

I feel 60% of guests were very understanding to the pandemic & the restaurant situations. Most locals as well. Though 40% or perhaps toward the end of the summer guests were less understanding. With regard to questioning if places are open or why not answering the phone. I personally found that you sometimes couldn’t always get to the phone. One day I burned 3 pans of jasmine rice over answering the phone & I can’t imagine how many calls I missed that didn’t leave a voicemail when I was downstairs in the walk-in getting food to prep in order to literally open the doors later. Though the reality is I was willing to pay someone to answer it, manage it etc & no one would come. The sole proprietor owners like myself, have very full plates & we are sorry if we disappointed you this summer in any way. This is also not over, in a way, the most difficult part is just ahead, a slow winter paired with COVID.

Thank you for taking the time to read. You are welcome to patronize Corner House via curbside pick up or place a reservation if interested. We also offer Dockside Delivery on Squam. Place your order by 4pm & we deliver to your dock or boat on Squam Lake via boat around 6pm.
www.cornerhouserestaurantandbar.com

I’ve updated google days & hours professionally, personally & called them yet new hours have not yet shown up. Apologies.

We are hiring!
Server 7.25 + gratuities
Friday Host/Curbside Coordinator 11 + gratuities
Line Cook 16-25 based on experience
Email Lexi@cornerhouseinn.com

Have a safe, short winter!

PS: Inn rooms have, all been converted into dining rooms from late 90’s, many people think we still offer overnight accommodations, alas
CornerHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to CornerHouse For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (09-10-2020), Gatto Nero (09-11-2020), Irish mist (09-10-2020), jbolty (09-15-2020), Karenw (09-20-2020), Lakegeezer (09-10-2020), Meredith AK (09-13-2020), Moccasin (09-11-2020), Newbiesaukee (09-10-2020), Paugus Bay Resident (09-10-2020), Shreddy (09-15-2020), Sue Doe-Nym (09-10-2020), Tallyho (09-13-2020), upthesaukee (09-11-2020), webmaster (09-11-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 08:50 AM   #4
Susie Cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornerHouse View Post

Corner House was on a winter break in March from the 8th to 17th. We reopened to Curbside pickup only on Fridays & Saturday’s. Most staff members had already self quarantined prior to the requirement. That left myself in the front of house as well 3 in the kitchen. As friends collected unemployment & my kitchen staff disliked wearing masks, 2 more joined the unemployment front.
I hired a guest named Jaymie & then I went back to the kitchen. When we were permitted to open on the patio we did, then inside when permitted. I was the bartender. Then I was the Chef & bartender. However the bar was intermittently open upstairs due to not enough staff members. I hired over 8 youths (14-17) & they really saved the day. Someone actually took notice of how many youths I had & called the board of labor concerned they were working too many hours & days in a week. However, I’m proud to say, legal all summer with my youths! However, last February I let one youth clock out 2 minutes after 9pm & will be fined. Though, somehow, through the most difficult summer of my life, we were above board with our youths & Corner House made it through the summer, wearing smiles under our masks!
Friday & Saturday only continued as not enough staff members were willing to work or would stipulate they will only work outside. I should have had 10 servers & I had 4, 2 being under 18, therefore unable to touch alcohol. (170 seat restaurant, 2 stories) I would conveniently deliver your drink after making in those cases. Those over 18 that did work coincidentally already had full time jobs (library director at private school & logistics manager for a manufacturer). This is not how things should run obviously, though more would have been disappointed if Corner House were closed temporarily or permanently. Therefore I opened on the days I had enough workers to make it run which was always Friday & Saturday. It will continue with Friday & Saturday going into fall & winter. Live music & activities fueled Corner House in winter & they are not permissible inside at this time.

In an attempt to keep locals out of the grocery store I offered produce in bulk for guests. I would send out the price list, guests email me the order Thursday & the produce is delivered Saturday morning. I sorted it in the parking lot & loaded into your vehicle. I added a 20% house fee. That occurred from March to late July. Also 50lb bags of flour & meat on some occasions. I sold just over $10,000 worth of produce.
I offered a number of drive thru chicken BBQ’s as well. A previous owner Judy Coolidge would often feature a chicken BBQ. The closed off inside offered the perfect opportunity for me to offer this historic event. Jeff O’Neil & John Hall built the pit & helped extensively to make these historic & fun BBQ’s happen!

I feel 60% of guests were very understanding to the pandemic & the restaurant situations. Most locals as well. Though 40% or perhaps toward the end of the summer guests were less understanding. With regard to questioning if places are open or why not answering the phone. I personally found that you sometimes couldn’t always get to the phone. One day I burned 3 pans of jasmine rice over answering the phone & I can’t imagine how many calls I missed that didn’t leave a voicemail when I was downstairs in the walk-in getting food to prep in order to literally open the doors later. Though the reality is I was willing to pay someone to answer it, manage it etc & no one would come. The sole proprietor owners like myself, have very full plates & we are sorry if we disappointed you this summer in any way. This is also not over, in a way, the most difficult part is just ahead, a slow winter paired with COVID.

Thank you for taking the time to read. You are welcome to patronize Corner House via curbside pick up or place a reservation if interested. We also offer Dockside Delivery on Squam. Place your order by 4pm & we deliver to your dock or boat on Squam Lake via boat around 6pm.

I’ve updated google days & hours professionally, personally & called them yet new hours have not yet shown up. Apologies.

We are hiring!
Server 7.25 + gratuities

PS: Inn rooms have, all been converted into dining rooms from late 90’s, many people think we still offer overnight accommodations, alas
Welcome to the forum, Lexi! Congratulations on surviving such a tough first year in business. It sounds like you are doing many wonderful things.
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Susie Cougar For This Useful Post:
CornerHouse (09-10-2020), MBNeckguy (09-16-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 12:46 PM   #5
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornerHouse View Post

We are hiring!
Server 7.25 + gratuities

That’s very good news! We are glad that you have been able to survive such a volatile year....not a pleasant entree into the business. Forum members are great at spreading the word, so hopefully you’ll have many new customers. Best of luck going forward.
Sue
CornerHouse (09-10-2020), steve-on-mark (09-10-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2020, 12:59 PM   #6
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
....not a pleasant entree into the business.
Sue
Freudian slip?
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 02:08 PM   #7
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Freudian slip?
It was an on purpose Freudian slip...
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 10:21 AM   #8
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Agreed. Best of luck moving forward—we'll be taking a look at if we can come by before the end of the season and I would ask any other forum members who are seeing this to do the same.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
CornerHouse (09-10-2020), Karenw (09-20-2020), puck12 (09-10-2020)
Old 09-11-2020, 07:12 AM   #9
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Cornerhouse, I had to smile at your mention of being fined for letting a youth worker clock out a couple of minutes late.
The labor board has no mercy, even during such hard times.
10 years ago I was audited by the labor board. They went back 4 years and found 600 violations. I had been under the impression that Friday was considered a weekend so I worked all my teens past 9 pm but the board considers Friday a school night.
I explained that it was an innocent mistake but they weren't hearing that and fined me $ 60,000...……..$100 per violation
The fine was eventually dropped but only after many thousands in legal fees and numerous hearings.
Going to be a tough winter for many in this business. Good luck
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (09-12-2020), christo1 (09-11-2020), CornerHouse (09-11-2020), Sue Doe-Nym (09-11-2020), TheTimeTraveler (09-11-2020), upthesaukee (09-15-2020)
Old 09-11-2020, 09:48 AM   #10
Sue Doe-Nym

Thumbs down Government intervention...ugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Cornerhouse, I had to smile at your mention of being fined for letting a youth worker clock out a couple of minutes late.
10 years ago I was audited by the labor board. They went back 4 years and found 600 violations. I had been under the impression that Friday was considered a weekend so I worked all my teens past 9 pm but the board considers Friday a school night.
I explained that it was an innocent mistake but they weren't hearing that and fined me $ 60,000...……..$100 per violation
The fine was eventually dropped but only after many thousands in legal fees and numerous hearings.
If that scenario isn’t a prime example of government stepping in to “help” small businesses!
ApS (09-15-2020), DotRat (09-12-2020)
Old 09-15-2020, 07:40 AM   #11
pops

Default Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Had the same happen to me about ten years ago. Most of my I-9’s were not completed correctly. We ended up with a $38,000 fine. My inspector assured me going to court would be bad for me. She mentioned a couple of restaurants that had fought them a couple years earlier and how they had their names dragged through the mud. We ultimately settled with them in an informal court controlled by them. It was literally extortion in my opinion. We had violations but they should give you a chance to correct them before handing out the fine. I believe they have changed that policy since Sununu has been Governor. They also would not answer my question of where the money from my fine was going as I was writing them a check. They were more interested in generating revenue than compliance.
I’ll get off my soapbox now. I’m not a fan of them.
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pops For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (09-15-2020)
Old 07-24-2021, 06:15 PM   #12
Sue Doe-Nym

Default A FYI on Corner House

We took a top down cruise through the area today, savoring the sunny, humidity-free weather, and drove by the Corner House 5 ish. The parking lot was full, so they are hopefully back in business. We didn’t stop because we had other plans, but we’ll check it out soon. Stay tuned….

Open Wed. and Thurs. 4:30-8:00, Fri. and Sat. 4:30-8:30.

Last edited by Sue Doe-Nym; 07-24-2021 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Added times open for business
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
trfour (07-24-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 06:37 AM   #13
phoenix

Hopefully we can now pay people to work not sit home
Old 07-25-2021, 08:54 AM   #14
phoenix

We went at least twice a month to the winenot Monday night offer. Hope they bring it back when they can get staff
Old 07-29-2021, 08:28 PM   #15
SAB1

Outstanding meal tonight. Portions very generous. Called for reservations at noon but they were solid except for upstairs which we seated right away at 545. Very happy to see them, back with great food!

Last edited by SAB1; 07-30-2021 at 08:28 AM.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
CornerHouse (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 07:37 AM   #16
CornerHouse

Smile Hi All!

Greetings All!
We are indeed still open! Never closed except a week break here & there. One being right after an accidental hand & facial burn on myself on 1/29. Recovered, grafted & no more vegan vegetable tempura, ever!
The food is good as IÂ’m just making your cocktails now!

We are the most well staffed IÂ’ve ever been somehow! We have a strong kitchen team, though due to everyone arriving at once we sometimes incur longer ticket times. We try to let you know in advance whenever possible. In the front of the house, more well staffed than most other properties in my opinion. My youths representing Holdnerness School & Paul Smiths College. That unfortunately ends on August 14th when most of my youths depart however.

WednesdayÂ’s are my busiest night. Pork Potstickers, Calamari, Ahi Tuna & Fried Oysters are my best selling appetizers. Halibut, Whiskey Ginger Salmon (from Sals Fresh Seafood), Lo Mein & Macaroni & Cheese are my best selling entrees.

We have a large cocktail menu, 12 rotating drafts, many wines & have just introduced CBD infused cocktails in collaboration with HempX out of Moultonborough.

Just like everyone else, we are in need of staff. We now pay servers $10 an hour base wage, kitchen starts at $20 & host $15 plus take out gratuities & manager starts at $20. We are open Wednesday through Saturday from 4:30pm I tried very hard to open Mondays as well, as hardly anyone is open though we need a minimum number of staff members to make it run & not enough could make Monday happen. I still aspire to open on Mondays in the future. Join my team or help me find people & we will make it happen! Every business in the region including my own would be open more if we had enough staff members to do so.

Introduce yourselves if you come in. You can find me behind the bar.
Have a great, safe, rest of summer.
I look forward to Sununu following through on his statement to not enforce further Covid restrictions & we keep everything rolling forward.
I keep the website heavily updated, check it for information if you have any questions. Any announcement is in the banner usually.
Www.cornerhouserestaurantandbar.com
We will be closed August 4-8. More than half the staff needed off & requested prior to summer.
COVID free so far!

*Insight regarding supply chain, food purveyors are having trouble getting “pickers”. $10,000 bonuses after 1 year & multi thousand dollar signing bonuses. The person that loads the food delivery truck with frozen items, cold items, room temp items. Then the drivers deliver on his route. One purveyor is at the point where the sales person drives from Lakes Region to Hooksett to load the truck the night before himself. PFG outright canceled orders a few weeks ago when all pickers walked off the job. I cannot believe things are running as well as they are considering the increased volume the lakes region is seeing. Instead of being in Europe right now, many, including extreme wealth are selecting the Lakes Region.
The Following User Says Thank You to CornerHouse For This Useful Post:
TheTimeTraveler (08-03-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 08:03 AM   #17
CornerHouse

Default Mojito, Yellowtail Tacos, Pork Potstickers

Images of Mojito, Yellowtail Tacos, Pork Potstickers
Mojito Photographer: Becky Velie
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: mov trim.C09FB59A-C1C9-481D-999F-A9A6C7069FE6.MOV (1.49 MB, 393 views)
File Type: mov trim.42163154-3134-4C66-8873-B70402989948.MOV (1.49 MB, 349 views)
Old 08-02-2021, 02:36 PM   #18
wentworthwhitbreadIII

Default Great to have you in town

Lexi is a true sweetheart and exemplifies more of what we need in our little town. Keep up the great work!
wentworthwhitbreadIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:24 PM   #19
SAB1

Also an impressive lineup of draft beer
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 02:35 PM   #20
wentworthwhitbreadIII

Is it true that Don Brown will be taking back the Corner House? I’d love to see it return to its past glory.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
wentworthwhitbreadIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 06:07 PM   #21
Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by wentworthwhitbreadIII View Post
Is it true that Don Brown will be taking back the Corner House? I’d love to see it return to its past glory.

No, that didn't happen. It has always been one of my very favorite restaurants when the Brown's owned it. My meal was ok, meaning par for the course for a pretty good restaurant, but was not the culinary experience I was hoping for.
They are also remodeling/adding to the bar on the second floor which (in my mind) is going to totally ruin the ambiance, for me anyway.
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 07:34 PM   #22
secondcurve

What are they doing to the upstairs area? I agree that is an area they probably shouldn’t mess with. It’s unique and my favorite part of the restaurant.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 07:51 PM   #23
Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
What are they doing to the upstairs area? I agree that is an area they probably shouldn’t mess with. It’s unique and my favorite part of the restaurant.
It appears to be an addition, probably more kitchen downstairs but the second floor is going to expand. . .I think in the bar area from the "nook" where the musicians usually play. Makes me sad to think about.
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Heaven For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (01-04-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 09:19 AM   #24
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Homestead and Common Man in Merrimack have both done second floor bar development with some success. Mix of bar, sofas, some tables. I think this follows a pattern from other locations by both businesses.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 10:10 AM   #25
WinnisquamZ

I know of a few bars in Maine that have secondary upstairs bars. Each require that you be escorted downstairs when leaving. Its odd

WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 01:03 PM   #26
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

In the movies, escort service is always UP-stairs.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (01-04-2024)