Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-18-2008, 05:37 AM   #1
Belmont Resident

Thumbs up Excellent canvas work

I recently had a complete camper canvas package, excluding the factory top & windshield, done for my wife’s boat.
I chose Ship Shape Marine works for the job.
I had work done by Village Canvas on my boat in the past but elected not to use them because when I had problems with the stitching on my zippers coming out I called them and left 3 messages and got no reply back. There were other problems but I will not get into that.
The differences in workmanship are very noticeable.
Ship shape sews sippers in so that the top can be removed from the ribs should the need for repair come up. Mine does not have this nor was that option presented.
They also roll the fabric over so the zippers are sewed onto doubled up fabric. My tops and sides do not have this.
The work done on my outlaw although it looks good, when you compare the two is not even close to the quality of Ship Shape both in fit & finish. Also Village canvas did not sew a zipper on the rear for a future aft curtain which I told them before the job was done that I would eventually be having made.
In a nut shell I would highly recommend them to anyone looking to have quality work done on their boat.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:34 AM   #2
Orion

Default Sounds good but cost?

Good info. How do prices compare? Where are they?
Thanks
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:29 AM   #3
fpartri497

Unhappy execellent canvas work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
I recently had a complete camper canvas package, excluding the factory top & windshield, done for my wife’s boat.
I chose Ship Shape Marine works for the job.
I had work done by Village Canvas on my boat in the past but elected not to use them because when I had problems with the stitching on my zippers coming out I called them and left 3 messages and got no reply back. There were other problems but I will not get into that.
The differences in workmanship are very noticeable.
Ship shape sews sippers in so that the top can be removed from the ribs should the need for repair come up. Mine does not have this nor was that option presented.
They also roll the fabric over so the zippers are sewed onto doubled up fabric. My tops and sides do not have this.
The work done on my outlaw although it looks good, when you compare the two is not even close to the quality of Ship Shape both in fit & finish. Also Village canvas did not sew a zipper on the rear for a future aft curtain which I told them before the job was done that I would eventually be having made.
In a nut shell I would highly recommend them to anyone looking to have quality work done on their boat.
I had exactly the opposite experience with Ship Shape. I would not recommend them to anyone and I would never use them again. I had them build an entire camper top for my boat In the fall of 06 and the workmanship Is very poor.

Each panel Is way too big so they buckle and every stitched seam around the windows Leak bad. i get so much water In the boat that the bilge pump runs to drain It out. She left us high and (Not so dry) after many complaints from us.

Big thumbs down on that business folks.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:54 AM   #4
Lakegeezer

Default Thumbs up for Village Canvas

Village Canvas is still great in my book. I've had two tarps made by them over the years and both were excellent. The fit is tight enough that I haven't had to run my bilge pump after any of the rains we had this summer. When I've gone back to them because a snap broke, it was fixed on the spot and N/C. I'd go back again - but don't expect the need for a while.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:08 AM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Thumbs up Village Canvas

Did a good job in repairing my bucket seat. The wood rotted out and they replace it with a marine plywood. They went the extra mile by painting the plywood to protect it from further damage.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:36 AM   #6
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpartri497 View Post
I had exactly the opposite experience with Ship Shape. I would not recommend them to anyone and I would never use them again. I had them build an entire camper top for my boat In the fall of 06 and the workmanship Is very poor.
Each panel Is way too big so they buckle and every stitched seam around the windows Leak bad. I get so much water In the boat that the bilge pump runs to drain It out. She left us high and (Not so dry) after many complaints from us.
Big thumbs down on that business folks.
I was just about to write these very same words when I came upon the above QUOTE saving me some keying in time. I SECOND THE ABOVE.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
fodalo

How about the Canvas Guys in Gilford across from Beans and Greens.
fodalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:33 AM   #8
BroadHopper

Talking Village Canvas

Quote:
Originally Posted by fodalo View Post
I think they are one and the same.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:38 AM   #9
RLW

Thumbs up

Quote:
They are good people also. I had them do some work for my son on a play pen cover for his pontoon boat and they were quick and very reasonable. They really could stand a little larger place to do there work as they do have a hard time sometimes locating where the heck they put your stuff when they finish it before you pick it up.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:38 PM   #10
RLW

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I think they are one and the same.
Which two (2) are the same??? Canvas Guys and Village are two (2) different places as one (1) is in Gilford and the other is in Meridith.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:22 PM   #11
The Big Kahuna

Default I hope you are not in a hurry to get it done.

Quote:
I stopped in to see them to get a quote to extend the cover on my boat, that was in April of this year. I keep my boat at Mt. View which is half a mile down the road, I gave up on them getting back to me and ended up doing some modification myself. Then in August I got a phone call back from them asking me if I still needed a quote? I asked the guy what took so long to get back to me, he said he had gotten backed up with work.
The Big Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:04 PM   #12
White Rook
Deceased Member

Question Ship Shape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
I was just about to write these very same words when I came upon the above QUOTE saving me some keying in time. I SECOND THE ABOVE.

Hello All,

Is 'Ship Shape' that does canvas the same company that offers mobile cleaning and complete detailing of boats at the marinas?
Old 09-19-2008, 05:16 AM   #13
Belmont Resident

Default compare the difference

If anyone is serious about it I'd be willing to show both boats and allow you to see first hand the differences.
Yes they are also the mobile detailing business that does a lot of work at local marinas.
As for price, well you get what you pay for. As a local contractor I run into people all the time who look for the lowest price. I also quite often here through the grape vine they were unhappy with the quality of the work.
Bottom line, you get what you pay for with respect to quality verses price.
I’m not saying village canvas was bad. But from all I’d heard about them and comparing the work apples for apples, I feel the quality on my wife’s boat is much better than on mine. A lot of people feel that if it looks good it must be good.
The fact that I had a problem and Village Canvas did not return my calls just made me look elsewhere for future work. It wasn’t until I started comparing the work done on both boats that I came to the conclusions that I did.
And don’t get me wrong, I shop with price in mind a lot myself. After all I can buy about 3 pairs of work pants at Wal-Mart for about the same price as one pair of Carharts.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:33 AM   #14
BroadHopper

Default Not the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
Which two (2) are the same??? Canvas Guys and Village are two (2) different places as one (1) is in Gilford and the other is in Meridith.
It was the canvas Guys that repaired my seat. They did an excellent job.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:25 AM   #15
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

You missed the best of all....Tom's Tops'n Trim down by the old Martel bait shop in laconia.Many of the local marina's use him so he is kind of a secret since he is on a little back street.Expert work at very fair prices.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:21 PM   #16
WeirsBeachBoater

I second SAMIAM. Tom is great.
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:35 AM   #17
watrskir

Default toms...

Didnt Tom use to have a shop by the bridge at Winnisquam or am I thinking of someone else??
watrskir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:47 AM   #18
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by watrskir View Post
Didnt Tom use to have a shop by the bridge at Winnisquam or am I thinking of someone else??
You are correct.Tom has a very good reputation and besides that,he was a friend growing up in high school.I have not been to his new location.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:43 AM   #19
watrskir

Tom did a fabulous job replacing the interior of my mastercraft with factory skins. Wasnt cheap but Ill pay for good work. Forgot he was around. Will be getting a price for next years canvas for sure.
watrskir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:32 PM   #20
Squam Friend

I have had many many covers made by Kimbell Designs in Ashland - though he will travel and fit covers on site wherever you are - and I have found his work to be the best all around, and timely too. Martin Kimbell, 968-2168 try him out, you won't be disappointed. (and no, I am not related to Martin nor am I in business with him, he just does great work and I wanted to share his contact info with you all...)
Squam Friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:05 PM   #21
Webbsatwinni

We just had a full enclosure completed by Village Canvas and to me, the workmanship was above average, the price was more than fair and he was pleasant to deal with.

I called quite a few places asking for the same exact thing, a full canvas built using my Crownline Bimini top as a base, most places said they could not reuse the top, Village did. Also, when we called to start looking at what we wanted, Bev took the time to walk me through things he could add and things that I wanted and explained why somethings just would not work the way I thought they would. We asked for a lot of clear to be used as I have never had an enclosure for any boat and I was concerned with viability, Bev did a great job keeping as much clear as possible while keeping it durable.

As for a comparison, I do not have one and I guess there is always better or worse for everything. He was easy to work with, worked around my schedule and kept me informed every step of the way. I am happy with the enclosure, it kept me dry in the rain and he did way better than I could have ever done .
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:44 PM   #22
Mr. Moyer

Belmont res,

your not alone here, I also had a small canvas for my bowrider done at ship Shape. they were great. They meet me so they could measure it properly, and order the canvas to match, and I didn't have to miss a boating day. This year, with the weather, that was saying something. Also, while they had it I had them remove the faded letters and wet sand and detail the back portion of the boat (faded from valet storage) They worked with me and were very reasonable over all. The piece matches and along with the detailing makes my boat look brand new. I liked them so much I will be winterizing my boat with them in a few weeks. Also, they can detail your motorcycle as well. Very friendly folks
Mr. Moyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:43 AM   #23
Peachy-Keen

I would hands down recommend Kimbell Designs in Ashland. Tried to get Village Canvas to do some work this year and did not get anywhere (multiple phone messages and visits to the shop, nothing!). Martin did great work right at the dock and truelly is a craftsman! Called him while he was on vacation, by his second day back in NH I already had a new cockpit cover.
Peachy-Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:46 AM   #24
codeman671

I recently had a cockpit and bow cover made by Converse Upholstery in Farmington, off 10 Rod Road. It was by far the best canvas job I have ever seen. Our last wakeboard boat had work done by Steve, so when we picked up this one we naturally sent it there.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:10 AM   #25
White Rook
Deceased Member

Thumbs up Super Work!

Over the last 25 years, all my fabric and upholstery work has been done by Sal Messina in Lawrence, MA. The cockpit cover I had made last season however, was done by someone referred to as 'Kim' through Irwin Marine. It was / is an excellent fit. It wasn't inexpensive but it was worth it!
Old 10-04-2008, 03:56 PM   #26
jasn

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rook View Post
Hello All,

Is 'Ship Shape' that does canvas the same company that offers mobile cleaning and complete detailing of boats at the marinas?
Yes they are WR.

Last month Ship Shape replaced the sport cover for my old '89 Formula and it is the best canvas it's ever worn for a very good price.

While they had the boat they also did a fabulous job restoring some life back into the tired gelcoat and blue striping, also at a good value. It's the best it's looked since I've owned it, and Rick went the extra mile to accommodate the job and even fix a few other things beyond the original quote.

I give Ship Shape a high recommendation!
jasn is offline   Reply With Quote