Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2020, 03:35 PM   #1
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts
Default Winter Storage Costs

Just got my winter storage form from MVM, and I think it's gone up substantially—$53/ft. Anyone remember what it was last year (in my head, it was $44).

What does everyone else pay for indoor storage?

Might be time to start looking for a different place to store/service.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 03:49 PM   #2
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Just got my winter storage form from MVM, and I think it's gone up substantially—$53/ft. Anyone remember what it was last year (in my head, it was $44).

What does everyone else pay for indoor storage?

Might be time to start looking for a different place to store/service.

Not certain, but $40/ft. sounds right for last year. Haven’t looked at this coming season.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 03:50 PM   #3
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

As you state that seems awfully high....

$53 x 24' = $1,272 (my boat length as an example)

The question is what does that price include......

Now independent Marine show 40$ per foot on their website, which according to their website included winterization, and spring start up......
Old 09-02-2020, 04:03 PM   #4
radioman

Default winter storage

$40 /ft for all that is a real good deal, go for it!!
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:06 PM   #5
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
As you state that seems awfully high....

$53 x 24' = $1,272 (my boat length as an example)

The question is what does that price include......

Now independent Marine show 40$ per foot on their website, which according to their website included winterization, and spring start up......
I don't believe it includes anything other than storing the boat.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2020, 04:16 PM   #6
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
I don't believe it includes anything other than storing the boat.

We use Lanes End in Melvin Village....have done so for 30+ years....no complaints. They’ve gone up to $45/ft. $300 deposit due by 9/12. Very convenient from Arcadia. 544-2000. GL
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:29 PM   #7
camp guy

Default Winter Storage Costs

All summer long there have been comments on the Forum about the lack of docking spaces and the lack of launching spaces, so I don't think it should come as any surprise that the price for storage would be going up. This is Economics 101. I realize that it is not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison, but all components of boating are becoming more expensive every year, so the storage component of boating is simply following suit. When a boat is in the water, being used, providing fun and happiness for a family, writing the check doesn't seem too bad, BUT, when the boat is sitting in storage, doing nothing, then writing the check doesn't seem too pleasant.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 06:41 PM   #8
8gv

Inside storage, winterization of engine, head and water systems $1360.73.

I thought about shopping around but my laziness won out.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:47 PM   #9
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Compare?

What's the comparison to shrink wrap? I used to shrink wrap, waiting in line for indoor storage. It's about $2-300 cheaper to shrink wrap. Haven't received a new bill yet for 20-21. For the years I did shrink wrap, no loss to the boat. I moved indoors when I got a boat with a lot of varnish. New (to me) boat this yea will likely stay outside.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:57 AM   #10
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
What's the comparison to shrink wrap? I used to shrink wrap, waiting in line for indoor storage. It's about $2-300 cheaper to shrink wrap. Haven't received a new bill yet for 20-21. For the years I did shrink wrap, no loss to the boat. I moved indoors when I got a boat with a lot of varnish. New (to me) boat this yea will likely stay outside.
I'd be interested to know what an average shrink wrap job is. We never bought a trailer because I didn't want to deal with loading/wrapping/trailering, but if storage is going to go up 10+% a year, it may be inevitable OR to find another marina.

I like working with MVM because it's where we bought the boat, so warranty work, history, etc. has some value, but at some point it's just simply may become an impossibility based on our incomes—I sometimes and reminded of all those camps families lost over the years because of the crazy tax increases, etc.

I'm still trying to figure out what we paid last year, though, as I think this year went up but last year may have gone up more than I remember.

I think I'll be looking at $1350 or so for storage, winterization, oil change, gear lube, etc. for my 20' 'toon.

Old 09-04-2020, 10:24 AM   #11
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default No trailer

Quote:
I'd be interested to know what an average shrink wrap job is. We never bought a trailer because I didn't want to deal with loading/wrapping/trailering, but if storage is going to go up 10+% a year, it may be inevitable OR to find another marina.

I like working with MVM because it's where we bought the boat, so warranty work, history, etc. has some value, but at some point it's just simply may become an impossibility based on our incomes—I sometimes and reminded of all those camps families lost over the years because of the crazy tax increases, etc.

I'm still trying to figure out what we paid last year, though, as I think this year went up but last year may have gone up more than I remember.

I think I'll be looking at $1350 or so for storage, winterization, oil change, gear lube, etc. for my 20' 'toon.

I don't have a trailer either. When I stored outside, the marina picked up the boat, put it on stands along with 75(?) others. Later a crew came along and did all the shrink wrapping. Same folks removed the plastic in the spring so it could be recycled.
At MVYC there is no charge for space in the field for winter storage. Lift fees, winterizing are all at standard rates. Rack storage last year was $1.25 sq ft, Shrink wrap was $1.60 sq ft, so rack was the better deal for some. Inside storage was $2.50 sq ft. Remember, this is a condo, not open to the general public, so your rates may vary. I don't know the 2020 rates yet.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote