Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2021, 07:08 AM   #1
CK5 Truck

Angry removing bottom paint

anyone know the best way to remove bottom paint? I bought a Formula that has it on it and I hate it!
CK5 Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:12 AM   #2
DEJ

You have three options as far as I know, they are soda blasting, chemical stripping, and mechanical sanding. None are easy. Good luck.
DEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 11:05 AM   #3
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Lots of work and you probably still won't have a nice gel coat finish. Maybe just paint the bottom a different color?
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (05-29-2021)
Old 05-29-2021, 11:19 AM   #4
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK5 Truck View Post
anyone know the best way to remove bottom paint? I bought a Formula that has it on it and I hate it!
I'm with Descant! Go with white paint.

You just moved my 65 Electraglide
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Descant (05-29-2021), I.C.Isles (05-29-2021)
Old 05-29-2021, 02:26 PM   #5
Woody38

Default Starten

Starten was originally formulated for bottom paint removal. At that time it was called "Dan Swetts" paint remover that works. I have used this product on many items but never on bottom paint. Worked fantastically when restoring household trim on 100 y/o house. I tried every product on the market and nothing worked until I got the Starten.
There is a video of boat use. Spray or paint it on the bottom and scrape off one area at a time.
For my use I applied the paste and however let it dry. Then I applied the liquid and was able to just wipe it off with a Bounty towel. Never raised the grain and sanding was really not necessary. Give it a try. You may have to order from Starten as it may not be available locally.

Starten.com

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Woody38 For This Useful Post:
CK5 Truck (05-29-2021)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2021, 04:43 PM   #6
CK5 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
I'm with Descant! Go with white paint.

You just moved my 65 Electraglide
as much as I think this would be the easiest solution, the current bottom paint is anything but a smooth finish, not afraid of working it til its gone and im sure a good old fashioned wet sanding and buffer will do wonders
Old 05-29-2021, 07:47 PM   #7
ApS

Question How Old? Where'd the Boat Originate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK5 Truck View Post
Saltwater bottom paints demand care when removing.

Some bottom paints have been outlawed worldwide due to poisonous effects. Removal-residue should be collected as hazardous waste, especially where it could enter the Winnipesaukee Basin.

As member Descant suggested, one or two coats of white color is safest, easiest, and might smooth it out.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:36 PM   #8
Descant

Default Hate?

Perhaps we're addressing this from the wrong direction? Why buy a boat when you "hate" the bottom paint? As a Forum, we need better info as to the "hate." After all, if you run it for a couple of years a lot of the paint will be gone, especially if it is ablative.
Old 05-30-2021, 06:34 PM   #9
CK5 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Perhaps we're addressing this from the wrong direction? Why buy a boat when you "hate" the bottom paint? As a Forum, we need better info as to the "hate." After all, if you run it for a couple of years a lot of the paint will be gone, especially if it is ablative.
because I love the rest of it and have been searching for one for years...Ill just never understand why someone does this to a boat (ok I understand what its for) me personally would rather take the boat out of the water once a month for cleaning...but thats just me.
The Following User Says Thank You to CK5 Truck For This Useful Post:
Cal Coon (06-02-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 06:40 PM   #10
CK5 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Saltwater bottom paints demand care when removing.

Some bottom paints have been outlawed worldwide due to poisonous effects. Removal-residue should be collected as hazardous waste, especially where it could enter the Winnipesaukee Basin.

As member Descant suggested, one or two coats of white color is safest, easiest, and might smooth it out.
not sure where boat originated, I bought it from 3rd owner who lived on he Cape (3 years) used in salt for 2 unused last year. Bottom paint was applied then looks to be done with brush? It is wearing off in places and I have read it will eventually wear off, but how long and as you said it ends up in the lake. Like I said Im not opposed to the work it takes to remove and buff back to the original gel coat.
Old 05-31-2021, 10:20 AM   #11
Descant

Default Moisture content

The bottom paint isn't just to prevent marine growth. If your boat is in the water all the time the hull absorbs moisture. On a former boat, I used to wax it every spring. At the time, waxing cost $200 and bottom paint, good for about three years, was about $600, a cost trade-off, so I stayed with wax. Some years later, a surveyor noted high moisture content after sitting in the water all summer and recommended winter drying, then a sealer and then bottom paint. We did that. Some years later, when I went to sell the boat, no moisture issues. In the interim, maintenance was cheaper than waxing, just a pressure wash and occasional touch up paint.
It sounds like the OP's bottom paint was DIY by the previous owner. In that case, it may come off more easily than a factory job.
Old 06-05-2021, 04:41 AM   #12
CK5 Truck

yeah this paint is wearing out in places already. Boat never saw the water last year and was in salt the 2 previous years. The guy I bought it from said he bought it without bottom paint but did it because of using it in the ocean, mainly Cape Cod to Marthas Vinyard. (no doubt it was a DIY job, he put it on EVERYTHIING including stainless trim tabs and tie down rings, etc.) Looks like after a couple hours out on Thursday it looks like more white is showing, at least on the bottom, I guess Ill have to see how much comes off after the weekend from use. (Ill still have to do something on the transom no doubt.) As far as leaving it in the water, with a in some cases a 20 year wait for a boat slip, she will be on a trailer as I dont plan on living another 20 or so years...lol. We had a survey done on the boat (insurance requirement) and besides the blower hoses being brittle and the bilge not pumping (both fixed) the surveyor gave her high marks and only found a small area high on the transom to watch for in the coming years. Valued it 5k over purchase price.